Berge - Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

steve26272

Reaction score
weve offered Berge a new contract, which he’s refused to sign

he obviously either fancies a change of scenery, or is waiting to see what his options are in 12 months, a big signing on fee and wages from us if we stay up, or the same somewhere else if we dont

either way we get no money for him

over the weekend Burnley appear to be in for Souza, then today they are after Berge, we agree a fee
slightly later Lommel accept our offer and he appears to be ours

maybe we cut a deal with Burnley that they can have Berge, but pull out of the bidding for Souza, leaving us with a clear run on him

we lose a player who isn’t committed, and replace him with one who is, and a +£2m balance for a loan fee (McAtee?)

Berge has been an enigma, sometimes looks unplayable, sometimes looks like he’s not playing

not sure he’s ever found his best position with us, last season we were strong H1 due to Ndaiye & Norwood, consolidated H2 by Doyle & McAtee - not sure anyone would merit Berge with leading a purple patch of the season, odd game yes.

if come end of August we have Souza, Doyle, Akpom & oBrien perm, with Macca back on loan, funded by the (player forced by refusing contract) sale of IN & SB I think we’ve come out a stronger team, even if no individual is better then Illy

had the above been signed prior to the sales, it would have tasted better, but it’s not an ideal world

i reckon Berge has refused to sign, so we’ve decided, rightly to cash in

as long as we end stronger than we started, it’ll be reight

he obviously either fancies a change of scenery, or is waiting to see what his options are in 12 months, a big signing on fee and wages from us if we stay up, or the same somewhere else if we dont

over the weekend Burnley appear to be in for Souza, then today they are after Berge, we agree a fee

maybe we cut a deal with Burnley that they can have Berge, but pull out of the bidding for Souza, leaving us with a clear run on him

we lose a player who isn’t committed, and replace him with one who is, and a +£2m balance for a loan fee (McAtee?)

Berge has been an enigma, sometimes looks unplayable, sometimes looks like he’s not playing

not sure he’s ever found his best position with us, last season we were strong H1 due to Ndaiye & Norwood, consolidated H2 by Doyle & McAtee - not sure anyone would merit Berge with leading a purple patch of the season, odd game yes.

if come end of August we have Souza, Doyle, Akpom & oBrien perm, with Macca back on loan, funded by the (player forced by refusing contract) sale of IN & SB I think we’ve come out a stronger team, even if no individual is better then Illy

had the above been signed prior to the sales, it would have tasted better, but it’s not an ideal world

If that happens Steve ,after the horrible feeling the last few hours, I could live with it, trouble is can that happen?

Souza isn’t a replacement for Berge, he’s a CDM. We need to sign a replacement for Berge in addition to this and also upgrade LCM.
Wouldn’t disagree, but maybe that’s part of my point, what position is Berge?

He isn’t a CDM, can’t tackle
He isn’t a 10, or a CM, or a winger

I like him as a player, so natural and glides round the pitch, but sometimes feel like we have a classic musician in a rock band

Personally I thought he would go to abroad or at least someone more established than Burnley tho

He hasnt been offered a contract though that is the point.

wonder what he will be thinking if burnley go down and we stay up ? berge is our best midfielder but no way as big a loss as illiman i think 12m in his last year of contract is decent business by us especially if it enables us to bring souza and obrien in

Have you got permission from Baltic bullshit blade to disclose ITK information 😄😁😁😁

The irony is, having Souza alongside him exactly what Berge needs to truly shine.

Edit: maybe he'll get that at Burnley 😏

The only slight doubt I have is, I can't see Berge willingly tying himself to Burnley for the prime years of his career, especially if he deems himself to be destined for better things.

He hasnt been offered a contract though that is the point.
I’m sure it’s been discussed and he’s always maintained he’s letting it run down

Given the Ndaiye situation, had he been willing to sign I would suggest we would have done it

Either way if he says “no, I don’t want to go I’ll sign up” it would have happened by now?

I’m sure it’s been discussed and he’s always maintained he’s letting it run down

Given the Ndaiye situation, had he been willing to sign I would suggest we would have done it

Either way if he says “no, I don’t want to go I’ll sign up” it would have happened by now?
He hasn't been offered a contract and is now being forced out Sander has never asked to leave the ball was in the court of the club to sort a proper contract out but they haven't.

The Prince and the board have overstayed their welcome with their disgraceful antics.

He hasn't been offered a contract and is now being forced out Sander has never asked to leave the ball was in the court of the club to sort a proper contract out but they haven't.

The Prince and the board have overstayed their welcome with their disgraceful antics.
He may not have asked as such, but he hasn’t signed has he? Or this wouldn’t happen would it?

But Ok mate

I’ll leave you with your agenda 🤷‍♂️

Anyone got any sources to this? Like.. any of it

Tbh, not really surprised Kompany wanted Souza at Burnley given his connections to Belgian league, that's where he signed some of his players from last season.

Wouldn’t disagree, but maybe that’s part of my point, what position is Berge?

He isn’t a CDM, can’t tackle
He isn’t a 10, or a CM, or a winger

I like him as a player, so natural and glides round the pitch, but sometimes feel like we have a classic musician in a rock band

Personally I thought he would go to abroad or at least someone more established than Burnley tho

RCM. And he’s out second best player (after Illy).

The reason we’ve had 3 seasons in the Prem in 30 years, and other clubs go on to have decent stints in the PL, is we keep making bad decisions. This summer is sadly another one full of them. When Blades say “Why never us?”, it’s decisions like selling your second best player to your relegation rival.

Souza isn’t a replacement for Berge, he’s a CDM. We need to sign a replacement for Berge in addition to this and also upgrade LCM.
Souza is probably a replacement for the player we thought we were getting when Berge signed.

Berge's replacement is probably going to be a combination of Slimane, a loan player e.g. lad from Chelsea and possibly Coulibaly if he's ever fit. I think box to box right hand side is probably his best role.

He’s never asked to leave but refused consistently to discuss a further contract

He’s never asked to leave but refused consistently to discuss a further contract

Do we know that for certain? We’ve got more than a dozen players out of contract next summer - at face value it doesn’t look like we’ve been offering decent contracts, or any contracts at all.

Don’t get people’s obsession with O’Brien, am I missing something? All I keep seeing is Sell Berge, sign O’Brien… have we all gone mental? He isn’t a creative type and if that was the trade off then God help us.
Sign someone that a team who scraped survival last season deemed surplus to requirements and be grateful for it whilst playing a few £M less than we sold Ndiaye for for the privilege.

Sign someone that a team who scraped survival last season deemed surplus to requirements and be grateful for it whilst playing a few £M less than we sold Ndiaye for for the privilege.
see what your saying but obrien is better than that he never really got a chance under cooper and think he would fit our system far better than forests what i will say is hes certainly not worth 10m offer em 5m plus add ons if we stay up and if they wont accept that move on

Don’t get people’s obsession with O’Brien, am I missing something? All I keep seeing is Sell Berge, sign O’Brien… have we all gone mental? He isn’t a creative type and if that was the trade off then God help us.

If the club is looking at paying the rumoured 10 million or him I give up. 2-3 million ok.

We shouldn't need to sell Berge to fund Souza.
We've just been promoted to the PL and we've already sold our best player.
So far, we've spent hardly anything.
I think this is all due to the Wilder spunking the cash effect.

No one criticised PA (and I’m not siding with him) when he went against McCabe on signings, when he funded Wilders wish list or when he pulled the club back together rather than assets hidden away.

Now the tiller man wants paying. I’ll say again, he still wants in on a European network of clubs, it’s his dream, he’s a visionary in that sense but unfortunately he’s a skint visionary. Could have easily sold club by now imo but holding out for someone to buy us PLUS United World to keep his vision alive.

RCM. And he’s out second best player (after Illy).

The reason we’ve had 3 seasons in the Prem in 30 years, and other clubs go on to have decent stints in the PL, is we keep making bad decisions. This summer is sadly another one full of them. When Blades say “Why never us?”, it’s decisions like selling your second best player to your relegation rival.
I agree I don’t like us selling to them

We should have hawked him around Europe if he wouldn’t sign

But please stop with the “oh woe is me”
I was going to write bar 3 or 4 clubs everyones a selling club, but Saudi have sorted that in the last few weeks - Mahrez & Henderson

Man C sold zinchenko & Jesus to arsenal last year
Chelsea havartz to arsenal this year

Would we have preferred to keep him, yeah
Have contract discussions been taking place? Course, we didn’t wake up Monday and think fuck it, let’s sell Berge

Think back, Fjortoft & Deane on the same day will never be beaten, but we’ve recently had how do we replace Hendo, MGW etc recently

As with every every knock back, we go again

I agree I don’t like us selling to them

We should have hawked him around Europe if he wouldn’t sign

But please stop with the “oh woe is me”
I was going to write bar 3 or 4 clubs everyones a selling club, but Saudi have sorted that in the last few weeks - Mahrez & Henderson

Man C sold zinchenko & Jesus to arsenal last year
Chelsea havartz to arsenal this year

Would we have preferred to keep him, yeah
Have contract discussions been taking place? Course, we didn’t wake up Monday and think fuck it, let’s sell Berge

Think back, Fjortoft & Deane on the same day will never be beaten, but we’ve recently had how do we replace Hendo, MGW etc recently

As with every every knock back, we go again

We did hawk him around Europe. We've been doing that for 12-18 months.
No takers at the club's price.

Burnley does feel a shame though. They're a rival and I feel like Berge is better than that.

Shocked more weren't in for him and Ndiaye.

Berge benched tonight for Burnley

Hamer came in 48hours after Berge went

Even at early days one of the best pieces of business we’ve done recently

Now the windows shut, we can assess the dealings

As I see it we lost Ndaiye and Berge which was unavoidable once they refused to sign a new contract (don’t accept keep them, Kane is the example)

We bring in McAtee, Hamer, Archer, Souza, Davies, Traore, Thomas, Trusty, Larouchi, Slimane

For those bed wetting during the window, that’s a decent effort from the board👍

As I see it we lost Ndaiye and Berge which was unavoidable once they refused to sign a new contract (don’t accept keep them, Kane is the example)

We bring in McAtee, Hamer, Archer, Souza, Davies, Traore, Thomas, Trusty, Larouchi, Slimane

Looks like a decent squad now. Still frustrating if you think about what could have been if all these players had been available against Crystal Palace and Forest though. That's potentially 4-6 points lost. But it is what it is.

We also lost Billy and Doyle.

Hamer and Souza certainly look more like what we needed in that central midfield as they provide much more protection for McAtee / Norwood than Berge did. Doyle was a loss in that respect but i think we were not going to be able to sign him permanently and couldn't loan two from City so it meant we had to look elsewhere

Actually thought that Souza was quieter, but fairly solid on Sat, i liken Hamer to a Berge replacement and i feel he gives us more defensively than Berge, but Berge, on the Hamer evidence so far, seemed better at not giving the ball away.

Ndiaye is still a loss but i really like the look of Archer.

Back
Top Bottom