Barnsley - Play For a Win or Play For a Draw?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The only true indication of our intentions in this game is Clough's choice of team. Anything else is just speculation.

Well given how just about anything he says or does is further fuel to the fire of the nonsensical notion of negative Nigel no matter who he selects I imagine he'll get grief. (An all alliterative sentence spectacular.)

The same team Tuesday and Saturday with the same intentions. 4-0. 1-2.

Somehow one was positive and the other negative.

There are constructive criticisms we can offer the team but too often it's just counterproductive negativity(!) and hostility.

By loudly abusing the team, particularly after they've put in a really good performance.

By being set on a hair trigger to have a go at anyone who, say, misplaces a pass or a shot, or a cliche. In fact it doesn't even have to be misplaced: when Holt made his debut I think his first or second touch he couldn't find a decent forward pass so he turned and laid it off about 6 or 7 yards, keeping possession...and someone in the seats around us laid into him. Welcome to BDTBL.
I don't think they get abused when they have put in "a really good performance" have they?

The answer imo is for the players to perform better so as to negate any chance of supporter angst isn't it? No one enjoys our poor form, but at least the guys on the pitch are paid to be there

I don't think they get abused when they have put in "a really good performance" have they?

The answer imo is for the players to perform better so as to negate any chance of supporter angst isn't it? No one enjoys our poor form, but at least the guys on the pitch are paid to be there

Well, for me, and Foulkes Jr Sr (who, thanks to our contact in the Football Supporters Underground Resistance, sat in the Scunthorpe Family Stand) the performance there was excellent. We thought we'd played well, created chances, scored a great goal, and been undone by defensive and goalkeeper frailties. A win would have been a fair result. 3-1 wouldn't've been stretching it in my eyes.

And we were both amazed and bemused at the abuse the team got after the game.

Well, for me, and Foulkes Jr Sr (who, thanks to our contact in the Football Supporters Underground Resistance, sat in the Scunthorpe Family Stand) the performance there was excellent. We thought we'd played well, created chances, scored a great goal, and been undone by defensive and goalkeeper frailties. A win would have been a fair result. 3-1 wouldn't've been stretching it in my eyes.

If only you'd thought to mention it before now....;)

NC will be judged on our last 7 games if we get promotion there can be no complaints he will no matter what our opinions have succeeded in what he came to do if he fails miserably then he should be judged on what went wrong. to tell you the truth I prefer the first option

Are you expecting us to go up automatically or not reach the play offs?

That is interesting. I think the frustrations boiled over that day, strange to have such varied opinions on the performance on here.

Going up automatically went along time
Going up automaticall as long since gone so meant by playoffs
To go up automatically it would need to be a miracle. no via the playoffs. As for not reaching the playoffs thats got to be unthinkable

Oh we have to go for a draw,,there is no way we can expect to compete with the likes of Barnsley

The same team Tuesday and Saturday with the same intentions. 4-0. 1-2.

I see your point, but i think what got everyone's goat were the attempts to change things in the Crewe game when it clearly wasn't working. I believe we could have made more positive subs e.g. Done on for Flynn (and not B Davies) and Adams/McNulty for S Davies, to boost the attacking options. I'm ok with the Doyle sub, as we didn't have too many options in midfield and appreciated we still needed solidity.

NC has said in an interview that the priority is not to lose.

A few thoughts: As has been pointed out in another thread 2 wins and a loss is better than 1 win and 2 draws. But this is if you are only considering your own points total.

If we draw at Barnsley then we keep them at arms length (best place for them). If we attack then we are taking risks. They win, they close the gap.

How to play it?

Given that our shaky defence is unlikely to withstand any period of sustained pressure, and that generally attack is the best form of defence we should set out to win the game (by passing sideways and backwards - but at a higher tempo ;)).

I can't see how it poses any greater risk than trying to hold out for a draw.
Barnsley have scored 53 goals and let in52 we have scored 56 goals and let in only 45 not a lot of differance but surely barnsley must be more worried than us i think if we score the first goalnwe will go on to win the game what we dont need is to be chasing the game if they score first

Barnsley have scored 53 goals and let in52 we have scored 56 goals and let in only 45 not a lot of differance but surely barnsley must be more worried than us i think if we score the first goalnwe will go on to win the game what we dont need is to be chasing the game if they score first

Going a goal down might inject some urgency into proceedings. Maybe we could offer them a goal start. Though thinking about it at 1-1 on Saturday Howard was ambling around his box like a rambler on a constitutional in the countryside. I'm all for not.panicking but upping it a gear would've been nice.

If we score first I really hope we don't go for the Walsall plan.

Sometimes a goal up we do drop off but with the idea of breaking quickly and sometimes it works.

Saturday could be anywhere from great to miserable or anywhere between.

If we get right behind the team it's got a better chance of being great.

Going up automatically went along time

Going up automaticall as long since gone so meant by playoffs

To go up automatically it would need to be a miracle. no via the playoffs. As for not reaching the playoffs thats got to be unthinkable

Ok so you meant 10 games not 7 then. ;)

I'm getting so much stick this week off Barnsley fans. I'd love to give them some back but as Cyprus Blade has pointed out, 9 points from 24 isn't giving me the best platform to do so.
I vote "avoid a loss, but go out to win"
Thought of your comment bet you cant wait to meet barnsley fans now they probably want to avoid you now what a great result

you see, heres an ultra negartive thread that looks every bit as stupid as it should do now,
we wonr lose it seems meant we aimed not to lose,,,,, how extraordinary

please open a new thread saying we are looking to hold doncaster to a draw

Thought of your comment bet you cant wait to meet barnsley fans now they probably want to avoid you now what a great result
I was at work for the whole first half mate, it's sad but at half time I rushed over to the ground and parked up to listen to us sing greasy chip butty from the carpark. That's how much today meant to me, I'm going to give the blokes who have been giving me stick all week HELL ;)

I was at work for the whole first half mate, it's sad but at half time I rushed over to the ground and parked up to listen to us sing greasy chip butty from the carpark. That's how much today meant to me, I'm going to give the blokes who have been giving me stick all week HELL ;)

According to the BBC website - and my memory - they had 0 (zero) shots on target. This might be worth mentioning :)

Back
Top Bottom