Barnsley - Play For a Win or Play For a Draw?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Now there's a fucking suprise he's crapping his pants already.

or its the professional way to talk about it, we want to avoid losing (a) so we get 1 point or 3 and (b) so one of the other teams chasing a play off berth , in this case Barnsley are restricted from gaining ground ,
Its exactly what the chesterfield manager said before going to bradford last night , I suppose he was shitting his pants too

I would suggest we confound the Dingles by playing for a defeat. it seemed to work well on Saturday and, with a bit of luck, might mean finishing outside the top six and the demise of one of my least favourite Blades managers.

This game should be ideal for a counter attacking away team Barnsley have to go for a win a draw is no good for either team especially the dingles when 5 or maybe 6 teams still have hopes of making the last two play off spots. If we sit back too much and play for a draw they will turn us over no doubt about it, we need to hit them on the counter with as much speed as possible, got to stand up and be strong too they are sure to try to bully us. The only problem is we don't know which United will turn up on the day, if we up the tempo of our passing we will out football them if we piss about rolling it across the back four I fear for us.

or its the professional way to talk about it, we want to avoid losing (a) so we get 1 point or 3 and (b) so one of the other teams chasing a play off berth , in this case Barnsley are restricted from gaining ground ,
Its exactly what the chesterfield manager said before going to bradford last night , I suppose he was shitting his pants too
Cloughs European PA defends him again.

Can't do nowt wrong can he in your eyes fella can he.

What a depressing thread, illustrating how limited our ambition is at the moment.

Although you don't see Barnsley compared to Olympique Marseille very often.

Nor us to Chelsea!! OK they won the Champions League doing just that but so what? o_O
Its a 6 pointer and no mistake and we are out of form (9 points out of the last 24), playing away against a team which is in form who are points behind us. If there is one game in our remaining 7 that we need not to lose it is this one.

Having said that if we don't defend high enough, simply play for a draw without any ambition for a win, offer little or nothing up front we will get rolled over I think because I cannot see us keeping a clean sheet - our defence isn't up to it. We need to have an outlet ball other than the one to Murphy and play counter-attack because I think Barnsley will come at us. Some pace, movement and penetration in passing would also help :p If Flynn isn't fit I would start with Done on the right as he has pace, defensive qualities and an eye for goal.

Assuming McEveley and Kennedy are going to be fit I would go

Howard
Brayford Kennedy McEveley Harris
Basham
Done Baxter Holt Murphy
Davies

Then again football is a funny old game. Crewe had lost their last three.

If Barnsley agree, let's toss a coin and cut out the stress!

I'm getting so much stick this week off Barnsley fans. I'd love to give them some back but as Cyprus Blade has pointed out, 9 points from 24 isn't giving me the best platform to do so.
I vote "avoid a loss, but go out to win"

I'm getting so much stick this week off Barnsley fans. I'd love to give them some back but as Cyprus Blade has pointed out, 9 points from 24 isn't giving me the best platform to do so.
I vote "avoid a loss, but go out to win"
Agree with you hope we beat them for quite a few reasons that are obvious but if we did that would be your best ammunition for giving them some stick back they getting to cocky

Agree with you hope we beat them for quite a few reasons that are obvious but if we did that would be your best ammunition for giving them some stick back they getting to cocky
Donny getting too big for their boots is annoying, chesterfield fans rub me the wrong way, it goes without saying how brain numbing cocky pigs are but baaaaarnsley fans?? I'm putting a sick note in all next week if we don't beat these

My apologies, I was unaware that we were playing Barnsley in a two-legged affair.

And of course you were also confused.....you rarely ever see Barnsley compared to Marseille . Unless of course they race whippets in marseille too.

The way I see it, we should be fairly cautious on Sat and be very attacking on Tues. It seems that Clough is always cautious which surely is the wrong thing to do??!

Donny getting too big for their boots is annoying, chesterfield fans rub me the wrong way, it goes without saying how brain numbing cocky pigs are but baaaaarnsley fans?? I'm putting a sick note in all next week if we don't beat these
Good idea

Nor us to Chelsea!! OK they won the Champions League doing just that but so what? o_O

Then again football is a funny old game. Crewe had lost their last three.

If Barnsley agree, let's toss a coin and cut out the stress!
When you said footballs a( funny old game) immediately brought back old memories of jimmy greaves ian st john on saints and greavsie football show many years ago

Nothing but a defeat v Barnsley I'm afraid and the usual story. 0-0 at half time, ( I have money on it) after Negative Nige commands his side to not concede. When the opposition are in possession of the football all players must retreat 10 yards into their own half and not challenge waiting for a slip up when we may push 1 player forward at most. When this fails, make subs but with the same tactics. In the meantime Barnsley take advantage of the huge gaps.

I have absolutely no doubt we will be set up to "protect" the point we start the game with and pray that Murphy comes up with a bit of magic to win us the game. It's the same plan for every game we play.

Oh and that bit about being set up to "protect" the point we have.........

Bwahahahahaha
Bwahahahahaha

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Fuckkng hell :mad:

I'm hoping for the best and fearing the worst. Our set piece defending is abysmal, we are there for the taking from any team that closes us down and has a high tempo.

Cloughs European PA defends him again.

Can't do nowt wrong can he in your eyes fella can he.[/QUOOTE]
Im not picking on everything he says and turning it into something ultra negative 10 minutes after hes said it
I wouldn't need to comment if people didn't take every football managers cliche he makes and finds some way to make it sound like hes saying something negative as opposed to it being said by every manager in the league

He makes errors , and deserves criticism for those , but to slaughter him on every utterance is just mean and and counter productive.

We are 5th and still better placed than most to make the play offs , but you and your mates keep profligating the negativity in your hope we fail to prove your petty mardy arse agendas right

wether Clough stays or goes is meaningless , just dont want our promotion bid jeopardising by negative fans , never mind negative Nigel

Last edited:
I wouldn't need to comment if people didn't take every football managers cliche he makes and finds some way to make it sound like hes saying something negative as opposed to it being said by every manager in the league

He makes errors , and deserves criticism for those , but to slaughter him on every utterance is just mean and and counter productive.

We are 5th and still better placed than most to make the play offs , but you and your mates keep profligating the negativity in your hope we fail to prove your petty mardy arse agendas right

wether Clough stays or goes is meaningless , just dont want our promotion bid jeopardising by negative fans , never mind negative Nigel
N/c will be judged on our last 7 games if we get promotion there can be no complaints he will no matter what our opinions have suceeded in what he came to do if he fails miserably then he should be judged on what went wrong. to tell you the truth i prefer the first option

True. Some of the things he says are over-interpreted and put in a negative light. That is partly a consequence of poor performances and results (if you think 9 points out of the last 24 represents a surge for promotion you need to take those rose tinted sunnies off) and partly his habit of pointing fingers. Every football manager would cop flak in this situation and most would take it on the chin (look at Adams at Tranmere - he isn't pointing fingers or hiding).

But its as much about the "footballing cliches" he doesn't utter that is the problem, you know the ones where he says "I take responsibility for that performance", or "Its my job to see we have the right mix of players" or "We need to play with more ambition and belief" or "We need to take that one back to the training ground" or "The supporters didn't deserve to have to suffer that" or "The buck stops with me" or "That's something I need to sort out" or "We need to get a settled side" or "Its my job to get the players in the right frame of mind" or "If we want to go up a point isn't good enough from this game" or "I look on that draw as 2 points lost" or "We need to give our supporters something back"

I hope to goodness we make it out of this division but the road will get rougher between now and the end of the season. The sins of omission are just as important and will influence how what he does say will be received in my view. How he handles this pressure will be as important in the dressing room as in the stands and he needs to soak some of that up rather better than he is doing at the moment in my opinion.

UTB

I have a right to voice my veiws same as you have.
I dont make no bones i dont rate him as a manager never have.
His tactics,team selections,his dealings in the transfer market Brayford and Done apart have been poor, man management shocking.
If anything we are a worst side now than when Wilson was manager if anybody thinks we are progressing they are deluded.
Im not a booer or a heckler just a fan whos sat through every home game and apart from the Scunny game has gone home as sick as a parrot.
Im going to Barnsley tomorrow though hoping for a win with the money we have spent we should be going into this game in an auto spot, bullish, but to me we are the underdogs.

I wether Clough stays or goes is meaningless , just dont want our promotion bid jeopardising by negative fans , never mind negative Nigel

Short of the "negative fans" going out onto the pitch in united shirts and putting in the sort of crap performances we have been treated to by the playing staff for the majority of this season, I don't see how we could "jeopardise" the end of this season tbh

Exactly, in the nicest possible way he trots out a cliche...and gets crucified. And it's not like this is an exceptional case.

Short of the "negative fans" going out onto the pitch in united shirts and putting in the sort of crap performances we have been treated to by the playing staff for the majority of this season, I don't see how we could "jeopardise" the end of this season tbh

By loudly abusing the team, particularly after they've put in a really good performance.

By being set on a hair trigger to have a go at anyone who, say, misplaces a pass or a shot, or a cliche. In fact it doesn't even have to be misplaced: when Holt made his debut I think his first or second touch he couldn't find a decent forward pass so he turned and laid it off about 6 or 7 yards, keeping possession...and someone in the seats around us laid into him. Welcome to BDTBL.

Back
Top Bottom