Barnsley analysis (focus on midfield)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I meant in terms of performance. I know ultimately it is about stats in terms of getting 3 points or not - but that can be down to a bigger dynamic than players. What I mean is in terms of when we have played our best this season (or at least when I have witnessed it) which have been few and far between, we have looked better for Coutts involvement. Not just because he has been on the pitch, but because he has been the driving force behind the performance which has noticeably changes when he has not been on the pitch.
If be interested of you could put a tick against the list of attributes (that apply to Coutts) that I've listed previously?

UTB

He needs a run of games to get the consistency required, odd games and cameo performances are no good for him at this stage of his career

I think you are very probably right on this although I don't think he is ready for a regular starting berth at this level and his physical stature (he's too small and too lightweight) is also against him. I haven't been impressed with Louis this season, but that goes for a lot of the team .I don't think we can afford the luxury of giving him a run and have to agree with those that think he needs to go on loan to a Div 2 side -Pompey ???? (he'd know half the team) - and it would be good preparation for if the worst happens and we end up in that division :rolleyes:.

Re Coutts - he is a very different player to the one that was so impressive at Preston and Derby where he was able to get forward, made runs and had some pace. Probably down to injuries rather than tactics. Some aspects of his game have remained but seems far more limited physically now and that is probably reflected in the level he is playing at, his choices in the game and the fact he isn't an automatic on the team sheet. At his age and experience level we need more than a couple of good games a season which is what we have had from him so far. He wasn't great v Barnsley (as Bergen's clips demonstrate all too clearly) and I think the role he is best suited for now will be Hammond's whilst Adkins is at the Lane. If there is a way of getting shut of him I'd take it because I don't think his fitness is going to improve any more than it has already sadly.

(goal assist 2m 6 secs)

If be interested of you could put a tick against the list of attributes (that apply to Coutts) that I've listed previously?

UTB

Short range passing and long range passing.

But then you don't have first touch, ability to play the ball under pressure and ability to keep possession under pressure. He also has the ability to beat a man with this skill he possesses.

Not on your lists but good attributes.

I watched ICT v Celtic on Sunday. Guest pundit in the studio was Aberdeen's Barry Robson. It took me about 10 minutes to remember he played for us. In three years' time, Paul Coutts will also need to be doing a spot of punditry for me to have a similar eureka moment. Assuming he's sitting there in our kit that is. With his name on. The. Front.

I watched ICT v Celtic on Sunday. Guest pundit in the studio was Aberdeen's Barry Robson. It took me about 10 minutes to remember he played for us. In three years' time, Paul Coutts will also need to be doing a spot of punditry for me to have a similar eureka moment. Assuming he's sitting there in our kit that is. With his name on. The. Front.
Oh yeah, Robson, Kitson, Higginbotham, that was when we thought signing a load of players who used to be good but were past it was going to get us promoted. Glad we learnt from that.

Back
Top Bottom