Barnsley analysis (focus on midfield)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Coutts had a bit of a nightmare from after we scored to well into the second half. I think he must be disappointed that Hammond was given the holding role, as it's the only one Coutts is really capable of playing himself. In terms of closing down and doing box to box he's simply not able to do it effectively. He's normally good technically, but in the mentioned period that part of his game was poor too. Maybe the extra running he did on occasions affected his touch. He did pick himself up a little later on, but Adkins shouldn't be asking him to do this role.

I thought I was going daft when some others seem to question this. I don't know how anyone could rate his contribution any differently.

UTB

I thought I was going daft when some others seem to question this. I don't know how anyone could rate his contribution any differently.

UTB
Agreed alcoblade I felt coutts had mare at times seemed to pass it to the invisible man quite a few times I have backed his qualities so far so I will put it down to a one off.Swiss and one or two others have a grudge against Hammond for whatever reason?., OK he's not made a dynamic start to his blades Career but what do they want he needed time to find his match fitness he now seems to have got that and thtroll he played at Barnsley probably is where he has had most success as a player ,his experience will be a massive plus as the season progresses.It seems as though as he was with a premiership team fans expected premiership quality! Well he's spent most of his career in the championship and division one so there expectations were way off reality.I am not pulling Hammond down by saying that., just painting the picture as it is ,good pro and will be valuable to us this season.
Bergen got it spot on again 433 or variations of that is what suits this squad best it's basically cloughs mob and he built it to play that way
Adkins obviously prefers 4 4 2 but we don't have the legs as yet to play that way (I think he will get us playing that way when he has the right players on board) 433 is the best way at present so please stick with it Mr Adkins.

Both JCR and Done worked pretty hard defensively at Barnsley helping their full backs, and I think we need that.

We need men in support of Sharp too. It's all a mater of degree but I suggest that attacks featuring 1/2 or even only 3 players are not enough.

As somebody makes the point above, we don't have enough box to box players and I suggest that Coutts and Howard just do not get in the final third apart from set pieces and Basham not in a serious way.

When we play a back 4 they do not need another 5 players bailing them out in defence, or they shouldn't need them!

I think between them Basham , Coutts and Hammond have those requirements in the right amount. Scougall could come in but I think you lose the passing and clearing up of Coutts ,plus a bit of height of course.

I agree completely with you ,Adkins erred on the side of caution ,but handed the initiative to Barnsley and we lost our outlets up front. Sharp played well with Done ,their movement upset the Barnsley defence and we lost that when Done went off ,if Adams had come on they would have still had those problems. We also had a strong wind behind us ,we could have had them pinned in. The middle 3 were less effective when Freeman cam on as we lost options for a forward pass. Big mistake by Adkins ,keeping up his record of bad substitutions this season which cost us a lot of points. I also think Coutts links well with Brayford and is a good link down the right between Brayford and JCR or the strikers ,Scougall doesnt get his head up enough.

If Jcr is out for a while ,I would look at Baxter ,Scougall Adams to fill that roll ,in that order as a roaming player between the midfield and attack ,with the full backs given chance to get forward
You will see a lot better Coutts now Brayford is back a full back who makes forward runs but is aware of his defensive responsabilities.

We need men in support of Sharp too. It's all a mater of degree but I suggest that attacks featuring 1/2 or even only 3 players are not enough.

As somebody makes the point above, we don't have enough box to box players and I suggest that Coutts and Howard just do not get in the final third apart from set pieces and Basham not in a serious way.

When we play a back 4 they do not need another 5 players bailing them out in defence, or they shouldn't need them!

Yes, I want both players flanking the holding guy to bomb forward like Scougall and Coady did under Clough. Not sure Mark Howard is the right man for the job though!

Done showed vs Barnsley that he can help out defensively while also getting forward to support Sharp from a wide position. Done will benefit from us playing with a higher tempo.

You mean someone who can compensate for the fact that he's a midfielder who can't run? :D

UTB
Do me a favour ,watch Coutts closely for 10 -15 minutes next game and then compare him with anyone else apart form Hammond ,and then tell me who does most work. He is also the only 1 out of 3 who can run with the ball and get his head up. Do you prefer the likes of Monty who would just run for the sake of it and play no football ? Our tempo is so much quicker when Coutts plays as Baxter slows us down ,the forwards much prefer this ,we are better to watch and get more chances.

Coutts has been the most improved player for me this season. He was dreadful when he first arrived and had improved slightly by the end of the season, he was fairly good in the play off second leg. I can see Hammond having a similar trajectory here, but IMO he's too old to warrant waiting for.

This season, whenever Coutts has played I've liked the look of him. I don't think he will work in a midfield 2, but as part of a 3 I think he's positive, always looking to get the play moving, doesn't spend too much time on the ball and recycles possession. He also puts him self about a lot more than last season which is probably a sign of his confidence coming back after a serious injury, against Walsall there were a couple of sliding challenges he put in which I don't recall him doing at all last season.

He's definitely one I want to stay in the side, perhaps with Basham and Hammond around him as it seems they did well as 3 at the weekend, according to some. I didn't go so can't judge.

Coutts has been the most improved player for me this season. He was dreadful when he first arrived and had improved slightly by the end of the season, he was fairly good in the play off second leg. I can see Hammond having a similar trajectory here, but IMO he's too old to warrant waiting for.

This season, whenever Coutts has played I've liked the look of him. I don't think he will work in a midfield 2, but as part of a 3 I think he's positive, always looking to get the play moving, doesn't spend too much time on the ball and recycles possession. He also puts him self about a lot more than last season which is probably a sign of his confidence coming back after a serious injury, against Walsall there were a couple of sliding challenges he put in which I don't recall him doing at all last season.

He's definitely one I want to stay in the side, perhaps with Basham and Hammond around him as it seems they did well as 3 at the weekend, according to some. I didn't go so can't judge.

I thought he was excellent in the Rochdale game – the assist for Adams overshadowed only by the wonder assist for Sharp. I then watched him again against Southend (dire first half, slightly better second) and Walsall (poor all game). He's a frustrating player that clearly has talent but is very inconsistent – largely tidy but prone to an error, and a lack of pace makes it tough for him to make up for errors. Classic example in the Walsall game where he read an interception excellently, swivelled to get round a player, got into space, played a pass that Monty could have done blindfolded straight to the Walsall player that then drove forward from the halfway line setting up a dangerous chance.

Our problem isn't in creating chances at the minute – we have enough players in the squad to do that. What we do need is someone with a bit more acceleration and general reliability in defence and in going forward. I would happily sacrifice Coutts and his ability to pick a pass every now and again for someone that could give us more athleticism.

I thought he was excellent in the Rochdale game – the assist for Adams overshadowed only by the wonder assist for Sharp. I then watched him again against Southend (dire first half, slightly better second) and Walsall (poor all game). He's a frustrating player that clearly has talent but is very inconsistent – largely tidy but prone to an error, and a lack of pace makes it tough for him to make up for errors. Classic example in the Walsall game where he read an interception excellently, swivelled to get round a player, got into space, played a pass that Monty could have done blindfolded straight to the Walsall player that then drove forward from the halfway line setting up a dangerous chance.

Our problem isn't in creating chances at the minute – we have enough players in the squad to do that. What we do need is someone with a bit more acceleration and general reliability in defence and in going forward. I would happily sacrifice Coutts and his ability to pick a pass every now and again for someone that could give us more athleticism.

In his element when we pass the opposition to death, which I like watching, but asking him to do anything quickly is almost painful to watch.

Maybe Dr Frankenstein can stitch together Scoogs's mobility and agility with Coutts's raw ability and we can field a very good midfielder next game.

A good analysis from the original poster, but for me, that midfield lacks assists and goals. Most of the posts on here dont mention Baxter - which is bizarre, as I think his stats now are 7 goals and 7 assists, which Im guessing is more than Coutts, Hammond and Basham put together. He is a must play for me (which now probably depends on whether the manager is still pretending our defensive frailties are down to Jose and not the dog sh1t defence and weak performances from his mate from Leicester). As others have said, we need players on the way up with something to prove - not w*nker journeymen after a last pay cheque.

Baxter - must play, best ball player in the squad, has goals, just needs to be deployed correctly and give some protection from other so called defensive midfielders. Still young and career wise on the way up - players we need at club;
Reed - needs to go out on loan and get regular football - i wouldnt be writing him off yet given his age, will become a good player, most definitely on the way up career wise;
Basham - I'd rather play at centre back, as although he puts himself about in midfield, you can see why he never started much for Blackpool, and isnt going to get any better at his age;
Hammond - might be starting to do something, and does need time to settle, but it needs to be more than just one decent game, and more than just running around for his mate the manager - again like Bash career not really on upward trajectory;
Coutts - show odd flashes of decent football, but id say he is on his last chance with us to make an impact. Not sure of his age, but hard to argue he has potential to get back to where he once was - definitely plays like a player scared of getting injured again;
JCR - has had a decent spell lately, but that still doesnt mask that he has little end product, is slower then he used to be and is a journeyman thats never going to get any better, career on the way down;
Adams - probably not really a winger - been quiter of late, but thats to be expected - he is a teenager - although this doesnt help the boards propaganda that it was OK to sell Murphy because we have Che. But most definitely a career on the way up;
Scougs - lets be honest, has done nothing for what 8 months, however capable of getting beyond the strikers, so again, i wouldnt be writing him off completely, and still young enough to regain hunger and desire;

Do me a favour ,watch Coutts closely for 10 -15 minutes next game and then compare him with anyone else apart form Hammond ,and then tell me who does most work. He is also the only 1 out of 3 who can run with the ball and get his head up. Do you prefer the likes of Monty who would just run for the sake of it and play no football ? Our tempo is so much quicker when Coutts plays as Baxter slows us down ,the forwards much prefer this ,we are better to watch and get more chances.
I did exactly this on Saturday Sitters.

He did nothing. It wasn't "alright", it was non existant. Bergen watched it from afar and confirmed it, also objectively.

He's a crisp passer, usually. Even that as awful on Saturday.

It may be repetitive, but list the attributes of a midfielder and tell me which of them he ticks;

Ball winner
Short range passer
Long range passer
General workhorse (Monty)
Ability to beat a man ( JCR)
Goal scorer
Physical presence
Pace

He has one of the above - he's a short range passer. The rest aren't just not at a level required for the third division, they are completely missing from his game.

UTB

I did exactly this on Saturday Sitters.

He did nothing. It wasn't "alright", it was non existant. Bergen watched it from afar and confirmed it, also objectively.

He's a crisp passer, usually. Even that as awful on Saturday.

It may be repetitive, but list the attributes of a midfielder and tell me which of them he ticks;

Ball winner
Short range passer
Long range passer
General workhorse (Monty)
Ability to beat a man ( JCR)
Goal scorer
Physical presence
Pace

He has one of the above - he's a short range passer. The rest aren't just not at a level required for the third division, they are completely missing from his game.

UTB
Theres no discussion with complete bullshit is there ? Even on the highlights he gets on the ball and accidentally sets Sharp up ,he clears up in the box after one of their attacks ,that's in 1 minutes highlights. Waste of time discussing if you are in complete denial. Is Bergen the Oracle then ? I like him as a poster but that's all he is (no offence).

Theres no discussion with complete bullshit is there ? Even on the highlights he gets on the ball and accidentally sets Sharp up ,he clears up in the box after one of their attacks ,that's in 1 minutes highlights. Waste of time discussing if you are in complete denial. Is Bergen the Oracle then ? I like him as a poster but that's all he is (no offence).
Ok, you think I talk Bull, I can see that you clearly have a complete inability to spot what's required in a midfider. You are right, there's no point in us discussing it.

Others might point out which of the list above are his strong points, for me and others to debate.

Bergen takes the time to pick up and analyse specific issues, in this case midfield. He comes across as extremely knowledgeable, but more importantly very objective. He nailed Coutts' contribution, which was a country mile away from your analysis.

UTB

Last edited:

Ok, you think I talk Bull, I can see that you clearly have a complete inability to spot what's required in a midfider. You are right, there's no point in us discussing it.

Others might point out which of the list above are his strong points, for me and others to debate.

Bergen takes the time to pick up and analyse specific issues, in this case midfield. He comes across as extremely knowledgeable, but more importantly very objective. He nailed Coutts' contribution, which was a country mile away from your analysis.

UTB

Chill out you two! Less about me, more about the issue, if you don't mind! :D

Regarding Coutts vs Barnsley, there are a couple of things that I feel he lacks to fit into the left sided box to box role, some clips to illustrate it:

Closing down. I think it looks hard work to him. He struggles to get close to opponents, rarely gets tackles in, let alone helps us win the ball to set us up for counter attacks. There were times vs Barnsley where most of our players did this very well, showing tenacity and aggression. Barnsley often had to pass it backwards, although on a few occasions they got a bit of break when they got close to Coutts, when they were often able to play a forward ball.

Lack of forward runs on and off the ball. I think his instinct is to be the holding playmaker, wants to come short and distribute on to willing runners. But Hammond was given that role vs Barnsley, and we don't need two players doing the same thing. For Coutts' role I want extreme stamina, quick feet, dribbles, loads of runs into the box on and off the ball. As soon as we win the ball I want someone who sees the chance to punish them by immediately bombing forward. Coutts isn't great at this, he's made for giving the ball to players who can do this. He himself hardly ever gets into the box and scores very few goals.

He's normally quite good technically and has a touch and presence that can make opponents stand off him. But he wasn't at his best on Saturday and made some mistakes in possession that were quite uncharacteristic from him:

There were some decent contributions too and I'm not among those who say he's crap. But I've not seen enough to suggest he fits into a box to box role and the Barnsley match didn't change my mind.

Chill out you two! Less about me, more about the issue, if you don't mind! :D

Regarding Coutts vs Barnsley, there are a couple of things that I feel he lacks to fit into the left sided box to box role, some clips to illustrate it:

Closing down. I think it looks hard work to him. He struggles to get close to opponents, rarely gets tackles in, let alone helps us win the ball to set us up for counter attacks. There were times vs Barnsley where most of our players did this very well, showing tenacity and aggression. Barnsley often had to pass it backwards, although on a few occasions they got a bit of break when they got close to Coutts, when they were often able to play a forward ball.

Lack of forward runs on and off the ball. I think his instinct is to be the holding playmaker, wants to come short and distribute on to willing runners. But Hammond was given that role vs Barnsley, and we don't need two players doing the same thing. For Coutts' role I want extreme stamina, quick feet, dribbles, loads of runs into the box on and off the ball. As soon as we win the ball I want someone who sees the chance to punish them by immediately bombing forward. Coutts isn't great at this, he's made for giving the ball to players who can do this. He himself hardly ever gets into the box and scores very few goals.

He's normally quite good technically and has a touch and presence that can make opponents stand off him. But he wasn't at his best on Saturday and made some mistakes in possession that were quite uncharacteristic from him:

There were some decent contributions too and I'm not among those who say he's crap. But I've not seen enough to suggest he fits into a box to box role and the Barnsley match didn't change my mind.

Cheers Bergen - exactly how I saw it, but my conclusion is that he's crap. :D

Do you agree with my list of attributes, many of which you'd like to see in a midfielder (simplistic, I appreciate);

Ball winner
Short range passer
Long range passer
General workhorse / tackler / breaker of play (Monty)
Ability to beat a man / Forward runner ( JCR)
Goal scorer
Physical presence / Cover ground / Engine
Good in the air
Pace

And of the above attributes, which would you argue Coutts demonstrates above third division standards?

UTB

A good analysis from the original poster, but for me, that midfield lacks assists and goals. Most of the posts on here dont mention Baxter - which is bizarre, as I think his stats now are 7 goals and 7 assists, which Im guessing is more than Coutts, Hammond and Basham put together. He is a must play for me (which now probably depends on whether the manager is still pretending our defensive frailties are down to Jose and not the dog sh1t defence and weak performances from his mate from Leicester). As others have said, we need players on the way up with something to prove - not w*nker journeymen after a last pay cheque.

Baxter - must play, best ball player in the squad, has goals, just needs to be deployed correctly and give some protection from other so called defensive midfielders. Still young and career wise on the way up - players we need at club;
Reed - needs to go out on loan and get regular football - i wouldnt be writing him off yet given his age, will become a good player, most definitely on the way up career wise;
Basham - I'd rather play at centre back, as although he puts himself about in midfield, you can see why he never started much for Blackpool, and isnt going to get any better at his age;
Hammond - might be starting to do something, and does need time to settle, but it needs to be more than just one decent game, and more than just running around for his mate the manager - again like Bash career not really on upward trajectory;
Coutts - show odd flashes of decent football, but id say he is on his last chance with us to make an impact. Not sure of his age, but hard to argue he has potential to get back to where he once was - definitely plays like a player scared of getting injured again;
JCR - has had a decent spell lately, but that still doesnt mask that he has little end product, is slower then he used to be and is a journeyman thats never going to get any better, career on the way down;
Adams - probably not really a winger - been quiter of late, but thats to be expected - he is a teenager - although this doesnt help the boards propaganda that it was OK to sell Murphy because we have Che. But most definitely a career on the way up;
Scougs - lets be honest, has done nothing for what 8 months, however capable of getting beyond the strikers, so again, i wouldnt be writing him off completely, and still young enough to regain hunger and desire;

Couldn't agree more with every word but I'm one who did mention Baxter above.

It seems defence is more important than attack currently but that is understandable given our goals against column I suppose.

Coutts has loads more in the tank but players ( Doyle, Collins) and the manager have said he is great in training. Maybe you are right about the mind set of fearing injury. In any case team selection is about the blend of players and partnerships all over the field and the Coutts/ Hammond duo has nothing much more than limitations to date. Agree Hammond is looking stronger lately but too many "second balls" are picked up by the opposition in the Coutts/ Hammond area of the pitch.

I’d agree with all of that except I could have sworn it was Baxter who assisted Adams’ first goal v Rochdale?

I thought Coutts was very good in his return to the team against Donny along with Alcock down the right hand side. He has a better football brain than most of our players and can work in nice partnerships when he has a good runner near him. But his lack of athleticism remains a concern and we don’t seem to have the legs from elsewhere to compensate at the moment.

Cheers Bergen - exactly how I saw it, but my conclusion is that he's crap. :D

Do you agree with my list of attributes, many of which you'd like to see in a midfielder (simplistic, I appreciate);

Ball winner
Short range passer
Long range passer
General workhorse / tackler / breaker of play (Monty)
Ability to beat a man / Forward runner ( JCR)
Goal scorer
Physical presence / Cover ground / Engine
Good in the air
Pace

And of the above attributes, which would you argue Coutts demonstrates above third division standards?

UTB

I think that list is a bit simplistic alco. It doesn’t take into account certain mental aspects of the game and the forging of partnerships and understandings. I think that’s somewhere Coutts excels whereas someone like say JCR struggles. I’d say that comes down to having a footballing brain which I think Coutts has. He definitely lacks some key attributes but he brings something more than those on that list. He wouldn’t be a regular starter for me though. I think Baxter offers more and having 2 in midfield who offer so little in terms of off the ball movement and defensive attributes hinders us. If we’re to play 3 in midfield, for me it would be Hammond as the destroyer, Basham as the box- to box and Baxter as the creative ball player with Scougall and Coutts providing back up to Baxter and Basham. I’d give Reed a loan move to League 2 for a couple of months to see if he can get a run of games and come back ready to compete for a place.

Louis Reed not good enough then is he? Scapegoat for Tuesdays performance in too many eyes when quite clearly let down by more experienced team mates. Was excellent when played in the 4-3-3 line up re Bradford 2nd half, Swindon away, Burton away and Bury at home for 60 mins until he was taken off (fans on his back for two misplaced passes either side of a killer ball which Sammon failed to score from). Not being give a fair crack of the whip in my opinion, needs a run of games preferably in the 4-3-3 formation mentioned

I didn't go to Swindon but Reed was gash in the first half against Bradford and the worst player on the pitch by a country mile against Burton. I know he is young and will have up and downs but with our midfield in this league we cannot afford that luxury.

You already know I am a big fan of Coutts, he is the nearest we have had to McDonald in his ability to get the ball, hold onto it and pick a pass. He constantly wants the ball and is one of those all to rare players who is comfortable in possession even when marked. He does not have the fitness he once had I grant you but he still works hard and he should be part of a midfield three, we just need Scougall's legs as part of that three for me.

As mentioned above, one of the best ways to judge Coutts contribution is how the team performs when he is on the pitch compared to off it. Burton immediately springs to mind where we suddenly struggled to keep the ball once he went off and there was a home game (cannot remember which - maybe Donny?) where he came off the bench and totally changed the game.

Fleetwood was the game where he came on and improved us. He started v Donny. I think they were his best 2 games this season.

I think that list is a bit simplistic alco. It doesn’t take into account certain mental aspects of the game and the forging of partnerships and understandings. I think that’s somewhere Coutts excels whereas someone like say JCR struggles. I’d say that comes down to having a footballing brain which I think Coutts has. He definitely lacks some key attributes but he brings something more than those on that list. He wouldn’t be a regular starter for me though. I think Baxter offers more and having 2 in midfield who offer so little in terms of off the ball movement and defensive attributes hinders us. If we’re to play 3 in midfield, for me it would be Hammond as the destroyer, Basham as the box- to box and Baxter as the creative ball player with Scougall and Coutts providing back up to Baxter and Basham. I’d give Reed a loan move to League 2 for a couple of months to see if he can get a run of games and come back ready to compete for a place.
It may be simplistic, but they are important characteristics in themselves. I'd suggest that he ticks only one of those boxes, and that's just not good enough. I'd be interested to see others make a case that he ticks more of them, and which ones?

UTB

You already know I am a big fan of Coutts, he is the nearest we have had to McDonald in his ability to get the ball, hold onto it and pick a pass. He constantly wants the ball and is one of those all to rare players who is comfortable in possession even when marked. He does not have the fitness he once had I grant you but he still works hard and he should be part of a midfield three, we just need Scougall's legs as part of that three for me.

As mentioned above, one of the best ways to judge Coutts contribution is how the team performs when he is on the pitch compared to off it. Burton immediately springs to mind where we suddenly struggled to keep the ball once he went off and there was a home game (cannot remember which - maybe Donny?) where he came off the bench and totally changed the game.
I'm sure someone has done that in the "pointless stats" thread and from memory the figures were horrific from Couttts' point of view.

UTB

Coutts has started 192 league games and come on as a sub 26 times...and scored only 6 goals.

That's not very good.

I'm sure someone has done that in the "pointless stats" thread and from memory the figures were horrific from Couttts' point of view.

UTB

I meant in terms of performance. I know ultimately it is about stats in terms of getting 3 points or not - but that can be down to a bigger dynamic than players. What I mean is in terms of when we have played our best this season (or at least when I have witnessed it) which have been few and far between, we have looked better for Coutts involvement. Not just because he has been on the pitch, but because he has been the driving force behind the performance which has noticeably changes when he has not been on the pitch.

I meant in terms of performance. I know ultimately it is about stats in terms of getting 3 points or not - but that can be down to a bigger dynamic than players. What I mean is in terms of when we have played our best this season (or at least when I have witnessed it) which have been few and far between, we have looked better for Coutts involvement. Not just because he has been on the pitch, but because he has been the driving force behind the performance which has noticeably changes when he has not been on the pitch.
You see the same game as me ,but put it much better.

I didn't go to Swindon but Reed was gash in the first half against Bradford and the worst player on the pitch by a country mile against Burton. I know he is young and will have up and downs but with our midfield in this league we cannot afford that luxury.

Worst player on the pitch, are you having a laugh? He ran his bollox off from start to finish doing the work that Adkins states Hammond does. As for Bradford first half him and Bash were given the run around because they were outnumbered in midfield, until Adkins realised his tactical error and put Jose in there.He needs a run of games to get the consistency required, odd games and cameo performances are no good for him at this stage of his career

Back
Top Bottom