Average Away Attendance for Every Championship Club 22/23 (so far)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cappy

wishful thinking
Reaction score
Up to the WC break.

Spolier: we are third with average of 1926 , behind Sunderland (2nd with 2365) and Burnley (1st with 2537).

Millwall was the big surprise for me. Wonder why they travel so poorly?

Obviously, there are a lot of factors that contribute to the numbers, beyond just the willingness of fans to go away - only half a season's fixtures, so some teams haven't been to as many big grounds yet and therefore have had smaller allocations than others.....midweek shit times for games, etc etc

An interesting stat would be a ranking of %age of allocation sold, per club

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 ) Sheffield United
They have an average away attendance of 1,926 for the 2022/23 season after 11 away games played.
The total amount of travellers for the club sits at 21,184, the highest is 4,256 while the lowest is 650.
The Championship average amount of miles is 147, for Sheffield United, their average across a full season is 115.
Sheffield United had an average away attendance of 2,257, with the club finishing 5th place in the 2021/22 Championship league table, picking up 75 points from 46 games.
There was no average away attendance figure for the 2020/21 season due to the coronavirus pandemic preventing fans going to games.
The average away attendance for Sheffield United for the 2018/19 season was 2,305. They had 2,169 for the 2017/18 season. We have no figure for the 2019/20 season.

Here's the up to date statistics.
One of the reasons why Burnley's is so high is due to the close proximity of Blackburn, Preston and Wigan.
All those Lancashire clubs have massive away ends of approx 5K, which as you would expect Burnley would easily fill.

FlpjkYxWAAEHLlY

Millwall was the big surprise for me. Wonder why they travel so poorly?

Rightly or wrongly they're generally treated like shit by most clubs/police when away which will easily put off many "moderate" fans, and the average trip length for them is pretty large, half the league involves them going north of Stafford, Cardiff/Swansea aren't exactly short trips from London either. They also seem to have had quite a number of away games midweek which will not help

We’ve been done over badly with a lot of away games too. Took at most half of what we would have if it’d have been a weekend to Wigan, QPR, Bristol City, Swansea and Coventry

Burnley's support pro rata to a population of 90k is phenomenal.
If you assume we have half of Sheffield (300k) and a pro rata support like theirs , we'd have home gates of 60k and a maximum away following every trip.
Wait a minute, isn’t there already a Sheffield team with that level of support?

our away support could and should really be 2nd in championship, only Sunderland should be taking more away. Especially as we are where we are in league playing like we are. I never understand how we regularly get 25/26k home fans but take less than 2k away fans on average. And yes Burnley’s support is actually unreal considering amount of people living there

our away support could and should really be 2nd in championship, only Sunderland should be taking more away. Especially as we are where we are in league playing like we are. I never understand how we regularly get 25/26k home fans but take less than 2k away fans on average. And yes Burnley’s support is actually unreal considering amount of people living there
Did you go to QPR at 8pm on Monday?

As someone above has stated. We've been shafted with KO times.

Wigan was the last Saturday before Xmas. I would've gone. I didn't go because they shifted it to Monday night. There'll be lots like me

Sunderland is the impressive one for me. Not a particularly big population and have to travel significantly further than anyone (except Swansea and Norwich).

We should probably be second, but we've had 10 of 14 away games that weren't on a Saturday. Mostly midweek and on Sky. I'd like to see how that compares to others. We've also been to Wales twice already and played Luton away which will have dragged the average down.

One of the reasons why Burnley's is so high is due to the close proximity of Blackburn, Preston and Wigan.
All those Lancashire clubs have massive away ends of approx 5K, which as you would expect Burnley would easily fill.

FlpjkYxWAAEHLlY
Those top 10 clubs fit really well into a group in terms of where we all sit in the 'pyramid'. Add in Wednesday, Palace, Brentford, Forest etc

Did you go to QPR at 8pm on Monday?

As someone above has stated. We've been shafted with KO times.

Wigan was the last Saturday before Xmas. I would've gone. I didn't go because they shifted it to Monday night. There'll be lots like me
Likewise and the same for QPR. Didn't go to either in the end.

Sunderland is the impressive one for me. Not a particularly big population and have to travel significantly further than anyone (except Swansea and Norwich).

We should probably be second, but we've had 10 of 14 away games that weren't on a Saturday. Mostly midweek and on Sky. I'd like to see how that compares to others. We've also been to Wales twice already and played Luton away which will have dragged the average down.
Sunderland and Newcastle have huge populations to draw on in their region, with next to fuck all competition. The boundary lines for the respective cities don't tell the story.

I wonder if the impact of streaming is factored in. Much easier sticking IPTV on than fannying about half way across the country

FlpjkYxWAAEHLlY
Some of the figures showing for the lowest away followings ( 650 , 600 , 600 , 600 , 500 , 300 , 150 , 400 , 350 , 300 etc . ) appear to show there is a bit of guess work going off .

I wonder if the impact of streaming is factored in. Much easier sticking IPTV on than fannying about half way across the country
You'll still get your core 600-800 that go to every game regardless. The rest is made up by ticket prices, distance, KO time etc.

Burnley's support pro rata to a population of 90k is phenomenal.
If you assume we have half of Sheffield (300k) and a pro rata support like theirs , we'd have home gates of 60k and a maximum away following every trip.

Burnley draw support from all over East Lancashire and West Yorkshire, not just the town itself.

Burnley draw support from all over East Lancashire and West Yorkshire, not just the town itself.
I accept that but some of ours comes from South Yorkshire & North Derbyshire (despite the presence of competing local clubs).
I know it's very difficult to make fair comparisons but Burnley does seem to be a statistical outlier.

Trains are a universal issue and they didn't harm Brum or Cov's away crowd up here ( though coaches etc only really work if you are "local" to your club) but Sky have stopped me from doing 3 or 4 I would have normally done.

Given where we are and where we have still to go, they won't have finished with us yet. Some of Boro's midweek followings - they've had loads midweek too -have been astonishing though, fair play.

Sean is right about Burnley, you will look in vain in places such as Todmorden, Colne and Rawtenstall for anyone wearing any other colours.

Burnley's large away support this season is largely down to first season back down syndrome and high expectations. Sunderland have, and always have had, huge support. Often getting close to 40k even in L1.

Rightly or wrongly they're generally treated like shit by most clubs/police
I can only speak for myself, but I’ve always found Millwall really sound in modern times, both home and away. Proper football fans. Knowledgeable, respectful, good for a chat. Even in home-only pubs between London Bridge and the ground, I’ve ventured in for a laugh and always had a decent reception once they realise you’re a good un. Everyone loves banter. Very few love violence nowadays.

Burnley's large away support this season is largely down to first season back down syndrome and high expectations. Sunderland have, and always have had, huge support. Often getting close to 40k even in L1.
That plus a new style of football after the successful but potentially eye unfriendly football of Dyche and a high profile manager will help.

But most of all, they are winning and scoring goals

Yes, though Burnley haven't actually played at Blackburn yet this season, but they have played at both Welsh clubs, probably the most awkward Championship trip for northern fans, so they deserve a lot of credit. Coincidentally those factors all apply to us this season as well so credit to travelling Blades too of course.

Trains are a universal issue and they didn't harm Brum or Cov's away crowd up here ( though coaches etc only really work if you are "local" to your club) but Sky have stopped me from doing 3 or 4 I would have normally done.

Given where we are and where we have still to go, they won't have finished with us yet. Some of Boro's midweek followings - they've had loads midweek too -have been astonishing though, fair play.

Sean is right about Burnley, you will look in vain in places such as Todmorden, Colne and Rawtenstall for anyone wearing any other colours.
The pedant in me reckons Rawtenstall is more Blackburn. As is Haslingden. Clayton-le-Moors a toss up.

This is a great game.

Back
Top Bottom