Atmosphere at the Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There are no good atmospheres anywhere in the Premier League. All seater stadia killed it. You don't sing when you're sitting down period. Just get over it. If you want an atmosphere go to a Six Nations rugby game in Cardiff or the Centre Court at Wimbledon in the fifth set or stand on the banks of the River Thames when there's a really close University Boat Race. But Premier League football...no chance.

There are no good atmospheres anywhere in the Premier League. All seater stadia killed it. You don't sing when you're sitting down period. Just get over it. If you want an atmosphere go to a Six Nations rugby game in Cardiff or the Centre Court at Wimbledon in the fifth set or stand on the banks of the River Thames when there's a really close University Boat Race. But Premier League football...no chance.
You have expensive sport tastes !!

Atmosphere is shite. Me and my daughter moved from the upper tier to the Kop to try and make her happy because she wants an atmosphere, unfortunately it hasn’t materialised, the sanitisation of English football and fans in general has put paid to this. The more they make it a family environment the shiter it gets and that’s a fact.

Atmosphere is shite. Me and my daughter moved from the upper tier to the Kop to try and make her happy because she wants an atmosphere, unfortunately it hasn’t materialised, the sanitisation of English football and fans in general has put paid to this. The more they make it a family environment the shiter it gets and that’s a fact.
Not even sure if its the family environment thats the problem. The demograhic is still largely the same as when i was a kid in the late 80s on the kop, but now you see gangs of young lads just staring at their phones or twitching for another line 🤣 Kop hasnt gone all middle class family but people just dont seem interested in the game anymore.

And at the same time, those of us who are going to Palace soon will see a section of their crowd actually creating an atmosphere, but will shit on the concept of trying similar here because it's foreign/plastic/not the blades way delete as appropriate

I think we're still deflated from the luton result. That was the must win of the season and we blew it.

Seeing both McBurnie & Archer benched likely didnt help, and 2pm sunday isnt great especially in that weather. Also its ages since pre Christmas payday and being skint isn't great for anyone's mood.

If those points deductions go through we might see a change and get revved up again.

Not even sure if its the family environment thats the problem. The demograhic is still largely the same as when i was a kid in the late 80s on the kop, but now you see gangs of young lads just staring at their phones or twitching for another line 🤣 Kop hasnt gone all middle class family but people just dont seem interested in the game anymore.
The atmosphere at the lane has always been a reciprocal thing. We’ve always demanded the team to show us a bit of leg first, before we get excited…But I would still say BDTBL can generate one of the best atmospheres, when we’re all on it.

And at the same time, those of us who are going to Palace soon will see a section of their crowd actually creating an atmosphere, but will shit on the concept of trying similar here because it's foreign/plastic/not the blades way delete as appropriate
There’s an ‘atmosphere’ at Palace, organised or whatever then there’s an atmosphere at the Lane, everybody in English football knows what used to be known as one of the best atmospheres in England, the other is Palace.

I personally would rather have fuck all than what they serve up, I’d rather have our songs that we’ve made up, which there are many than have the one or two shite songs they sing all the time and call it an atmosphere. That’s only my personal view by the way, obviously.

There’s an ‘atmosphere’ at Palace, organised or whatever then there’s an atmosphere at the Lane, everybody in English football knows what used to be known as one of the best atmospheres in England, the other is Palace.

I personally would rather have fuck all than what they serve up, I’d rather have our songs that we’ve made up, which there are many than have the one or two shite songs they sing all the time and call it an atmosphere. That’s only my personal view by the way, obviously.
That kind of demonstrates my point - I'm fine with people who don't like that sort of thing, but at the same time I would rather have that than the complete nothing we have for the vast majority of games, and I think there is plenty of scope to have both. In the context of what I posted up thread where I didn't hear the Kop once from kickoff to Diaz scoring, your "personally would rather have fuck all" seems to be the prevailing view

That kind of demonstrates my point - I'm fine with people who don't like that sort of thing, but at the same time I would rather have that than the complete nothing we have for the vast majority of games, and I think there is plenty of scope to have both. In the context of what I posted up thread where I didn't hear the Kop once from kickoff to Diaz scoring, your "personally would rather have fuck all" seems to be the prevailing view
You’re missing my overriding point which I must admit I’ve not illustrated very well, we have fuck knows how many songs and create one of the best atmospheres around on our day, unfortunately we don’t create that for one or two reasons which some are family orientated but I don’t want us to be manufactured, we don’t need to be, we just need a club to try their best from the start of the season and the fans will mostly be on board. It won’t be like it used to be but it will be better.

You’re missing my overriding point which I must admit I’ve not illustrated very well, we have fuck knows how many songs and create one of the best atmospheres around on our day, unfortunately we don’t create that for one or two reasons which some are family orientated but I don’t want us to be manufactured, we don’t need to be, we just need a club to try their best from the start of the season and the fans will mostly be on board. It won’t be like it used to be but it will be better.

Maybe I am. I'm not sure about the family oriented line you're taking - in some areas of the ground, yes, I'll give you that, but how many people in the Kop is that affecting? I'm guessing a minority. You don't want an atmosphere to be "manufactured" - fine. I'd prefer that as well. Problem is that there only seems to be any atmosphere at all when there is a precise combination of playing on a Saturday at 3pm when the weather is decent and when the team is playing well and when the ref is trying to fuck us over. If there was a natural atmosphere, I would have heard the Kop today. But I didn't - it only happens when all of the above are true, and only showing up when the perfect conditions all collide seems about as manufactured as you can get. Manufacture the circumstances, and the Kop will sing! Until someone misplaces a pass and the belief will disappear and they shut the fuck up for another half hour

Atmosphere was bad today but it's not always like that. Sunday lunchtime is my only reasoning.

Barely got going after 1-1 or when we were fairly on top 2nd half.

Play that again night time or 3pm sat and it's different

I wasn’t at the ground today but my son and I watched on tv. We noticed how flat it was but both said that a key requirement to getting the crowd pumped is energy and commitment. It seemed like there was no press, no urgency and we were happy to let them play out of defence. The times I recall BDTBL really rocking was when we get at the opposition like terriers from the off. Get some tackles in, upset them, let them know they’re in for a bloody uncomfortable afternoon - crowd gets going and the atmosphere takes off?

I've been stood on the banks of the Thames during the boat race and it's absolute mayhem. Talk about limbs. No Pimm's - No Party!

Best place to get any kind of atmosphere going is G & H BLOCK in the south stand .
20/ 25 years it was rocking.
Very intimidating.
Away fans knew they were at the lane .

I don't really understand what some people want/expect.

People talk about the atmospheres at games abroad, despite knowing that English football culture is not like that found in other countries. Any attempts to replicate European fan culture, such as the Fanatics at Palace or Union FS at Leicester, are often met with derision and accusations of being 'plastic'. God forbid anyone bring a drum to a game, despite it being commonplace at many grounds on the continent.

So what we want is people singing for 90 minutes regardless of the quality of football on display or weird kick off times, and it has to be completely organic because we don't do any of that plastic organised shite. Sound realistic to you?

Then of course you have people moaning about the atmosphere who will be sitting on the Family Stand or the BLUT. Basically sat looking over at the punters on the Kop and judging them for not being as loud as they'd like them to be. Naturally such people are doing fuck all to contribute to the atmosphere themselves.

This topic rears its head every few months or so. If you don't like it, maybe try to do something about it?

Think we lost our connection to the club during Covid and Hecky.

Then we come into this season selling our star player and then started season badly.

It’s slowly coming back and hopefully next season it comes back.

I think it was the quitest game i’ve heard all season across all leagues and competitions i’ve watched. We actually played some nice football as well so the excuse that the team has to play well for this to happen is a bit of a myth.

The Yorkshire & Derbyshire way. We don’t like change.

Think we lost our connection to the club during Covid and Hecky.

Then we come into this season selling our star player and then started season badly.

It’s slowly coming back and hopefully next season it comes back.

I wondered how long it would be before you came along to blame Hecky for the atmosphere at the Lane almost 2 months after he'd left.

Agree

And we all had singing lessons too

It’s been shit since Covid and it was hardly bouncing before. I think it’s just a cultural thing in this country. As others have said, go elsewhere and even for a meaningless game, you’ve got singing throughout.

I think the only way it’ll improve is with a designated section/group like Palace and some other clubs have.

I wondered how long it would be before you came along to blame Hecky for the atmosphere at the Lane almost 2 months after he'd left.
Mate we was getting pumped 8-0 at home, every game we were coming into getting pumped. The atmosphere always going to be terrible.

The atmosphere isn’t going to be good isit 😂

Atmosphere is improving in the last 2 months…. But if you don’t like that it’s getting better then I cannot help you.

Watched the Liverpool game when I got in and thought the same there, just didn't seem like a league game. It was very strange. At lane atmosphere always seems better when things go against us and it gets fans pumped up

Back
Top Bottom