Atmosphere at the Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
Just watched a fan YouTube video of todays where the Burnley fan was impressed with the atmosphere at Bramall Lane.
It's becoming a common trend that away fans seem to highlight regards how intimidating we can make it.

It reminded me of similar comment regards the atmosphere at the previous home match.
Click the YouTube link and listen to the 1st 2 minutes where the very experienced reporter for Norwich City describes Bramall Lane.
Even he admits that when Bramall Lane is rocking it's one of them special places in English football.

Don't think I've ever seen 3 more entertaining memorable successive home matches at the Lane
and in return the atmosphere has been brilliant and impressive at all 3 games. (Blackpool, Norwich and now Burnley).
The Merry Millers up next. Hope it continues.

Don't think I've ever seen 3 more entertaining memorable successive home matches at the Lane
and in return the atmosphere has been brilliant and impressive at all 3 games. (Blackpool, Norwich and now Burnley).

SAG and Sheffield City Council says… “Hold my Beer”

I sit on South stand and our atmosphere is fine. Just a weird obsession from certain fans it's shite.

My point is that we (the fans) do seem to have an effect on the result.

There was a spell against Norwich in that 2nd half where Norwich had mentally shrivelled up and were rocking trying to hold on.
Same again today Burnley turned into a team of boys trying to play against men.
I remember Virgil Van Dyke when we lost 0-1 to Liverpool also saying it was a difficult place to visit and he found it tough.

My point is that we (the fans) do seem to have an effect on the result.

There was a spell against Norwich in that 2nd half where Norwich had mentally shrivelled up and were rocking trying to hold on.
Same again today Burnley turned into a team of boys trying to play against men.
I remember Virgil Van Dyke when we lost 0-1 to Liverpool also saying it was a difficult place to visit and he found it tough.
We do and the players are always saying it. Gives them that little bit extra, when they need it most. Likewise it work the other way. When times are tough and the crowd are on the players backs, they're scared to try things and make a mistake. Crowds definitely do have an impact and some players know exactly how to get the crowd going. Often just needs a spark, a good bit of play, a tasty tackle or a shit ref decision.

G&H were bang at it yesterday.
Were there any problems with the stewards? And was there any sign of people obeying the new guidance on sitting down in your correct seat / not blocking gangrays?

Getting that goal so early in the 2nd half helped a lot, crowd could sense the energy and drive they they came out with after the break.

On the whole I think people quite like the Lane. It's got a good location, character and the atmosphere is decent. Besides Wednesday I've never really heard any none daft criticism of the ground.

The crowd react to the football. When it's a big or tense / exciting game and we're going for it the atmosphere will be rocking.

If we're not on it the crowd isn't either. Sometimes if it's one of those score in the first half and win comfortably games it's a subdued atmosphere too.

Away fans are almost always louder than home fans, especially if neither team is winning. This is true of pretty much every ground in the country, only exception to this ant of this is derby games

Crowds have always effected the teams performance, both positively and negatively.

You only have to look at the covid season to see the detrimental effect of not having a home crowd. Not saying we wouldn't have gone down but there's no way we'd have been as bad with a full Bramall Lane getting behind them on that awful run at the start of the season.

The atmosphere is constantly pretty crap until there’s controversy, or a comeback.

The problem still remains at the back of the kop - too many (now) older people who don’t want to be vociferous, occupying the central / rear that would be the nucleus of generating the atmosphere.

Those that want to are pushed into small groups and regularly cancel each other out.

It’s really obvious to anyone who sits there what’s wrong.

The atmosphere is constantly pretty crap until there’s controversy, or a comeback.

The problem still remains at the back of the kop - too many (now) older people who don’t want to be vociferous, occupying the central / rear that would be the nucleus of generating the atmosphere.

Those that want to are pushed into small groups and regularly cancel each other out.

It’s really obvious to anyone who sits there what’s wrong.
This is spot on. I'm sure this is why the atmosphere has got progressively worse since the 'new' kop was built in the early nineties. A lot of people have had the same seats for decades, got older and grumpier, and don't contribute to the atmosphere. In my view, if you're on the kop, you make a noise.

The issue with the atmosphere at the Lane reflects the character of English football fans in general i.e., they're more reactive than proactive. The noise goes up a notch when we've scored or when we're on top, but the atmosphere rarely ever precedes the performance.

This is very different on the continent, where there's a constant level of singing throught the match, although to be honest it does get a bit monotonous after a while, like a background noise.

Personally, I'd rather hear a few songs being belted out in full voice, punctuated by all hell breaking loose when a player gets fouled or the ref makes a bad decision.

This is spot on. I'm sure this is why the atmosphere has got progressively worse since the 'new' kop was built in the early nineties. A lot of people have had the same seats for decades, got older and grumpier, and don't contribute to the atmosphere. In my view, if you're on the kop, you make a noise.
i-do-abba.gif

Sounds like a cue for euthanasia.

Can tick most of your boxes. Me and everybody around me seems to be making noise. Dunno about the rest of the ground - can't hear because of all the noise we're making.

In fact, I was feeling a little hoarse when I got in - just don't tell the RSPCA. 😄

Reactions: Dkc
I've got older, grumpier, and noisier.

Just watched a fan YouTube video of todays where the Burnley fan was impressed with the atmosphere at Bramall Lane.
It's becoming a common trend that away fans seem to highlight regards how intimidating we can make it.

It reminded me of similar comment regards the atmosphere at the previous home match.
Click the YouTube link and listen to the 1st 2 minutes where the very experienced reporter for Norwich City describes Bramall Lane.
Even he admits that when Bramall Lane is rocking it's one of them special places in English football.

Wow, he's got a knack of saying lots of words without saying anything at all.

In my view, if you’ve paid your money you support in whatever way you choose and it isn’t for anyone else to dictate.
It's surely about sensible compromise.

For whatever reason, we haven't yet been able to make work what most other football clubs have. And for a lot of us, it's spoiling the match day experience.

It's surely about sensible compromise.

For whatever reason, we haven't yet been able to make work what most other football clubs have. And for a lot of us, it's spoiling the match day experience.
And that’s absolutely fine. But if I’m sat on the kop nobody has the right to tell me how loud I have to be.

Back
Top Bottom