Atkins interview on match and transfer window / deals

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What I think is interesting is that Whelan, for all his experience in both business and football, ended up making similar mistakes to KM. In many ways, appointing MacKay was his Robson moment. When everyone with any knowledge of the game thought 'WTF'. Coyle was a poor appointment but understandable as he'd done a good job at Burnley. Rosler was a bit of a gamble and one that I predicted at the time would fail (living local I understood the influence Warburton had at the club) but MM was just daft. Like every 'fool' (and I use quotation marks because we're all a bit susceptible) he thought he was getting a bargain, a good manager who'd been unjustly toxified by a cruel media, when in fact, he was a bit of a twat.

I think I'm as guilty as anyone in vilifying KM for his poor decisions but if Whelan can show such poor judgement it shows that football can make anyone look a bit daft.

The odd thing is, rewind three years or so to the Martinez era & Dave Whelan was often talked of in the same way as Steve Gibson - as your model local chairman. It's as if while things were on the upward curve he could do no wrong, but when things started to get rocky he lost the plot (with the Malky appointment & all that went on round that time being his nadir).

Genuinely interesting to see how things pan out for them this season though - so many variables, so many possible outcomes.

The odd thing is, rewind three years or so to the Martinez era & Dave Whelan was often talked of in the same way as Steve Gibson - as your model local chairman. It's as if while things were on the upward curve he could do no wrong, but when things started to get rocky he lost the plot (with the Malky appointment & all that went on round that time being his nadir).

Genuinely interesting to see how things pan out for them this season though - so many variables, so many possible outcomes.
I suspect if Martinez was from Grimsby and called Rob Martin he'd be managing in L1 now.

Like you, I reckon with a half-way decent experienced manager that Wigan squad could take off.
again , flabbergasted our fans so easily see other clubs taking off , but dont think we can
when I said there has to be belief I meant throughout the club , including the fans

we sadly are nowhere near getting that belief across
we can see others doing it ,no problem , but us , too many obstacles
we are a club thats fans are looking to fail
4 wins on the bounce
are we going up

no we are heading for a fall
cant say we are over optimistic at S2

Not a single person has panicked really, just expressed disappointment.

As much as I get the sentiment if your last bit, in reality, that's all it is, cliche and sentiment.

We won't succeed if the belief is there. We've believed for several seasons and we haven't.
We believed in 2002-03 and we didn't.
We believed we'd stay up in the
Prem and we didn't.

It's all about the team, making sure we're adequately prepared, and the squad is strong enough.

Starting with the defence.

Pete , your last statement . Starting with defence .

Could it be that Adkins really believes his philosophy, and we will / are benefit from it --- The Best Form of defence is Attack.

UTB

Could it be that Adkins really believes his philosophy, and we will / are benefit from it --- The Best Form of defence is Attack.

UTB
Hasn't Mayweather shown that the best form of defence is defence?

We need to get rid:

McFadzean
Alcock
Higdon

Maybe get rid of Collins if we get Burn or someone in.

Then loan out:

Flo
Damaio
Whiteman
Khan
Diego
Harrison
Willis

If we bring another keeper in then I would loan or sell Long but Adkins seems to like him.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, George W has now gone out on loan

UTB

Although I "liked" Bushblades comment re Mayweather, I absolutely buy into this philosophy and love that we are making teams worry about us. That being said, our defence could still stand some improvement (as could our central midfield). I like the idea of attacking teams but that doesn't mean I don't want us to have a strong defence.

again , flabbergasted our fans so easily see other clubs taking off , but dont think we can
when I said there has to be belief I meant throughout the club , including the fans

we sadly are nowhere near getting that belief across
we can see others doing it ,no problem , but us , too many obstacles
we are a club thats fans are looking to fail
4 wins on the bounce
are we going up

no we are heading for a fall
cant say we are over optimistic at S2

I don't think anyone is saying we can't take off. I think the vast majoity of us are optimistic about our prospects this season. Acknowledging Wigan have a good squad and would be a good side with the right manager doesn't take away from that.

Back
Top Bottom