Atkins interview on match and transfer window / deals

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

dont get all the panic

the loan window opens in a couple of week so we will get what we need then
just out of interest

guess which league one club has spent the most so far

Ill give you a clue , they play in Yorkshire

and before some one asks whos sold the most , its Swindon
wigan don't play in yorkshire

That is a pretty decent consolation, it has to be said.

Great interview from Adko btw.

Still a bit gutted we got no-one in, but like he said we've got the numbers & it's extra quality we're looking at getting in. We got Brayford last year; & tbf similar lengthy pursuits could happen this year (with a team that's actually fully firing in the meantime this time round). Certainly no signs from NA that he's being short changed by the board, far from it.
he should try specsavers then .

we havent dropped 8 places in the league like some think by not signing any one
just have to wait to what is really get cover for what we have
weve beaten the 2 sides who got in the play offs with us so we dont play any team stronger

It's all about results. If Nige keeps up the sort of points to games ratio he's got so far with the squad we've already got, no-one will mind at all.
Problem is, we hit a bad patch & the likelihood is that frustration about not making signings flares up again.

Even so, Nige heavily implied that the pursuit of targets is ongoing. We got Brayford after a long chase - no reason why similar can't happen again.

It's all about results. If Nige keeps up the sort of points to games ratio he's got so far with the squad we've already got, no-one will mind at all.
Problem is, we hit a bad patch & the likelihood is that frustration about not making signings flares up again.

Even so, Nige heavily implied that the pursuit of targets is ongoing. We got Brayford after a long chase - no reason why similar can't happen again.
some of our fans go on like its the end of all hope we didnt get someone in now
theres 6 weeks of loan windows and a month in january and another loan window

its barmy saying our chance has gone

they paid 750k for W.Grigg thats more than us straight away .
we paid more than that for sharp
window started weeks ago

is grigg better than sammon straight question
wish blades looked at the big picture rather than focusing on one day

answer this why are we second in the league if we are so desperately short of players

they paid 750k for W.Grigg thats more than us straight away .

Wigan have got some serious options up front now, what with the business they did today:

Grigg, Craig Davies, Jordy Hiwula, James Vaughan, Haris Vuckic...

If Gary Caldwell can't get them firing with that sort of firepower, their Child Chairman's gonna find himself having to sack a manager twice his own age before too long.

Wigan have got some serious options up front now, what with the business they did today:

Grigg, Craig Davies, Jordy Hiwula, James Vaughan, Haris Vuckic..

So you dont think Wigan fans will be looking at us and our attacking options saying the same
which of those would you do a straight swop for che connor done mceverly and sharp
which of those is much better than ours
doubt if hiwula is better than higdon

answer that ,
we are one of the 2 best squads in this division without signing anyone today

we paid more than that for sharp
window started weeks ago

is grigg better than sammon straight question
wish blades looked at the big picture rather than focusing on one day

answer this why are we second in the league if we are so desperately short of players
sharp cost 500 and i like the fish ..hope he is better than grigg cos he scored shit loads in a promotion winning team last season ..is it end of season already because where 2nd ? we only played 5 games mate.

So you dont think Wigan fans will be looking at us and our attacking options saying the same
which of those would you do a straight swop for che connor done mceverly and sharp
which of those is much better than ours
doubt if hiwula is better than higdon

answer that ,

I'm not complaining about our striking options (& I still think we've got the best striker in the league). I'm just saying Wigan's are very, very good.

Wigan's problem isn't so much the quality of their squad, it's their losing mentality/downward momentum, the disruption & turnover of their squad, & their inexperienced management (including their chairman). They've brought in some very decent players though, no point denying it. They've lost a lot of very good players too.

Amazed to see the David Edgar's signing being airbrushed out of history in this thread. A fantastic quality replacement promptly addressed by Adkins, made more stark set against the background that the last incompetent twat in charge didn't do anything about it it in a whole season.
We know we need to trim the bloated squad, but is it really a surprise that there isn't one club wanting to take on any of the said twats umpteen bad signings?

Laughable some are already on Adkins case already given the time wasted last season on the myopic striker chase of COG.

I do wonder why some think everything must happen immediately , we had the same impatience shown with a huge amount of bile and crap that came out after just the first game. One game FFS!

The club is immeasurably heading in a much better direction.
New manager, new formation , new exciting tactics, new scout, some great signings, a new mood about the place, and lets just moan.
Let's see what happens on player recruitment in a few weeks time, before leaping to criticise.

Adkins sounded like these deals may still happen eventually.

Correct, I just wish some of our other posters would realise that a deal is dependent on many factors falling into place - does a player want to come here/does the player or his agent demand extortionate wages/do the selling club have a player available to replace the outgoing player, thus enabling the move to happen - and so on. I bet it's not too fanciful to imagine that Adkins would have loved to bring in a couple of players, but it hasn't happened, so the club move on, and who knows who'll remain in the club's radar? Soon we may be joined by the quality of player that our manager regards as ideal for the challenge ahead, either that, or, should he pacify the demands of a baying crowd by signing any 6' plus lump who'll turn out to be less than equal to the job description?

In the meantime, our second positioned team look forward to the next game knowing that they're in this position on merit, so they should have the confidence to know they're equal to the challenge. That, I suspect, will be foremost in Adkins thinking. So, no panic please, it's no way to make sure a campaign succeeds.

Strange how many were saying we could just go straight out and buy 2-3 players with the Murphy money were you one of them ?
Ah yes.... Those people. "1.5m is a great deal for inconsistent, easily replaceable, Jamie Murphy because I live in the past and that's still a lot of money to me even though football has moved on. We could sign 3 quality league one players with that and replace easily replaceable, inconsistent Jamie Murphy too yaaay."

Funny how 1.5m extra in the bank has made diddly squat difference. We should've been demanding at least twice that for our inconsistent, easily replaceable player of the year.

We need to get rid:

McFadzean
Alcock
Higdon

Maybe get rid of Collins if we get Burn or someone in.

Then loan out:

Flo
Damaio
Whiteman
Khan
Diego
Harrison
Willis

If we bring another keeper in then I would loan or sell Long but Adkins seems to like him.

I will point out that if all those players left (released or on loan) this week, we would seriously struggle to have a match squad of 18...

I'd be interested on some people's comments, Adkins has said the football club went well and beyond in an attempt to back him. Also credits Mal Branningan.

hardly going to say the opposite is he?

Ah yes.... Those people. "1.5m is a great deal for inconsistent, easily replaceable, Jamie Murphy because I live in the past and that's still a lot of money to me even though football has moved on. We could sign 3 quality league one players with that and replace easily replaceable, inconsistent Jamie Murphy too yaaay."

Funny how 1.5m extra in the bank has made diddly squat difference. We should've been demanding at least twice that for our inconsistent, easily replaceable player of the year.

For a club that didn't need to sell, it strikes me as a bit cheap.

It may be what he's worth - but make them pay more than what he's worth.

Brilliant interview and loads to look forward to. The manager supports the players, individually and collectively. He supports the M.D. and the Board too.

We've got numbers but we'll always welcome more quality. It didn't happen - yet.
Yes I agree woody he has targets and will not panic buy .HE will get the players he wants but it must
Be great playing for a guy like Adkins so up beat and positive when a manager believes in you that
Gives you a lift and confidence soars. I was a clough fan but this guy gets the best out of what he,s
Got a pat on the back is far more productive than being ultra critical which clough in his 2nd season
Seemed to do .Initially I was disappointed at clough,s sacking but I think we have a man who,s man
Management is excellent ,the board obviously new what they were doing . Rock on Nigel !!

Amazed to see the David Edgar's signing being airbrushed out of history in this thread. A fantastic quality replacement promptly addressed by Adkins, made more stark set against the background that the last incompetent twat in charge didn't do anything about it it in a whole season.
We know we need to trim the bloated squad, but is it really a surprise that there isn't one club wanting to take on any of the said twats umpteen bad signings?

Laughable some are already on Adkins case already given the time wasted last season on the myopic striker chase of COG.

I do wonder why some think everything must happen immediately , we had the same impatience shown with a huge amount of bile and crap that came out after just the first game. One game FFS!

The club is immeasurably heading in a much better direction.
New manager, new formation , new exciting tactics, new scout, some great signings, a new mood about the place, and lets just moan.
Let's see what happens on player recruitment in a few weeks time, before leaping to criticise.

What will be said when we lose a couple of games as we surely will as certain as night follows day.:eek:

So he's lying then? Absolute madness.

well would you come out and say "well Mal & Jim have prevented the deal from going ahead as they didnt feel he was worth the sum of money the other club wanted"

and if so would you still think you would be in a job next week? so yes as usual a Blades manager is being less than forthcoming with the whole truth.

IF we truely wanted x player (one of his quotes was having to wait for others to do deals... (I called bingo btw) .... however that seems a little moot given Fulham did their deal... and we still didnt get our man...

so you have 2 situations...

either the lad just doesnt want to come here.. in which case all this "its still on the cards" is a lie
or
if we wanted him and the lad wanted to come why cant we invoke "Murphy's law" (previously noted as "Maguire's Law) in that if a player wants to leave he is automatically sold to the buying club as the selling club have no power... (or does this law only apply when it's our players?)

(or we went in with such a ludicrous offer Fulham are still pissing themselves laughing now.... more so than they were when those from S6 put in a 10m big for McCormack.... Fulham will be likening both Sheffield clubs to the chuckle brothers at this rate)

well would you come out and say "well Mal & Jim have prevented the deal from going ahead as they didnt feel he was worth the sum of money the other club wanted"

and if so would you still think you would be in a job next week? so yes as usual a Blades manager is being less than forthcoming with the whole truth.

IF we truely wanted x player (one of his quotes was having to wait for others to do deals... (I called bingo btw) .... however that seems a little moot given Fulham did their deal... and we still didnt get our man...

so you have 2 situations...

either the lad just doesnt want to come here.. in which case all this "its still on the cards" is a lie
or
if we wanted him and the lad wanted to come why cant we invoke "Murphy's law" (previously noted as "Maguire's Law) in that if a player wants to leave he is automatically sold to the buying club as the selling club have no power... (or does this law only apply when it's our players?)

(or we went in with such a ludicrous offer Fulham are still pissing themselves laughing now.... more so than they were when those from S6 put in a 10m big for McCormack.... Fulham will be likening both Sheffield clubs to the chuckle brothers at this rate)

I'd rather be Chuckle Brother A bidding £10m for a proven Championship goalscorer, than Chuckle Brother B bidding £1m for one of their backup defenders.

I'd rather be Chuckle Brother A bidding £10m for a proven Championship goalscorer, than Chuckle Brother B bidding £1m for one of their backup defenders.

yes but it would be like us putting a bid of £25m in for Messi.... we all know it's likely to be rejected (but we can say to the fans look at us bidding on Messi... thankfully I dont think the majority of our fans would fall for it and see it for what it is.)

the Burn deal would be more likely if its £1m (considering I think he was in his last year of his current contract) (well based on the Sheffield United Value book) ;-)

i've had enough of this transfer window bollocks . it is all sky hype
if you think about this carefully, then if you are desperately making deals on the last day of the window then you haven't been planning properly eg man utd.

weve beaten the 2 sides who got in the play offs with us so we dont play any team stronger

Disagree.
Chesterfield have lost Cook, Ryan, Roberts, Clucas, Doyle (in Jan), Darikwa etc.

Swindon have lost Luogno, Gladwin etc. and their fans said Byrne and Smith were playing for away and subsequently moved on.

Both are decent League 1 sides but I don’t think either will finish in the top six this season and would say Gillingham, Wallsall, Coventry, Donny, Barnsley, Burton, Bradford, Fleetwood and Wigan might all provide sterner opposition. In fact, Gillingham already have.

So he's lying then? Absolute madness.

It's called being diplomatic. I'm not saying he is unhappy with the board but if he was, I don't think he would be publicly slagging them off.

Do you recall Warnock publicly slating Briatore at QPR? Bassett publicly slagging Brealey? I certainly don't but if you read their autobiographies you will find out they weren't exactly thrilled with what they had to put up with.

Both are full of praise for the late great Derek Dooley though.

I'm not complaining about our striking options (& I still think we've got the best striker in the league). I'm just saying Wigan's are very, very good.

how do we know will they gel will a couple of them be happy playing second fiddle
your summising they will be good , no one knows

it gets me people "know" we wont be any good
but can see other teams doing great
when in quality numbers we more than match them

Back
Top Bottom