Are we really that bad?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bongleblade

Reaction score
Had a bit of a think over the past week about our first team lineup (when everyones fit) and i keep flip-flopping between nailed on 20th and comfortable survival…

so having a proper look, i think we’re currently somewhere in between… i’m starting to believe we wont be whipping boys and could give it a good go at survival

GK: Wes - championship
LCB: JLT - championship
CB: Egan - PL
RCB - Anel - PL
LWB: RND - championship
RWB: Baldock - PL
CM: Norwood - top championship
CM: Doyle - top championship
CAM: Berge - PL
CAM: Ndiaye - PL
ST: McBurnie/Brewster - Championship/PL potential

Bogle - top championship/PL potential
JLT - championship
Lowe - championship/PL potential
Jebbison - championship/PL potential

With this in mind - assuming we get doyle on loan i think we’re 3x more shrewd additions covering each area to be decent PL competitors - we clearly need a Striker, CM and CB, with GK and LWB as some other priorities for our starting lineup - all assuming we’re releasing sharp/stevens/fleck of course

am i completely deluded in thinking It’s doable with a £15m spend, a couple foreign loans and 1x other PL loan?

Had a bit of a think over the past week about our first team lineup (when everyones fit) and i keep flip-flopping between nailed on 20th and comfortable survival…

so having a proper look, i think we’re currently somewhere in between… i’m starting to believe we wont be whipping boys and could give it a good go at survival

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

With this in mind - assuming we get doyle on loan i think we’re 3x more shrewd additions covering each area to be decent PL competitors - we clearly need a Striker, CM and CB, with GK and LWB as some other priorities for our starting lineup - all assuming we’re releasing sharp/stevens/fleck of course

am i completely deluded in thinking It’s doable with a £15m spend, a couple foreign loans and 1x other PL loan?
I think we'll stay up, obviously with the caveat need to see how the squad looks nearer the kick off to the season.

We'll definitely be in a struggle, but we don't need to be great to stay up just better than three others.

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

I feel it's a bit of a push to have Furious down as PL. Defensively, maybe, but as an attacking wingback? Or Lowe and Bogle as PL potential.

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

For me

GK: Wes - Championship, but no worse than Ramsdale was for us
LCB: JLT - I think he might surprise us and be a decent if not outstanding PL player
CB: Egan - PL - definitely, but needs to watch the ball over the top
RCB - Anel - PL - definitely
LWB: RND - Championship - jury's out on him
RWB: Baldock - PL - Definitely
CM: Norwood - Top championship - nope. Mid Champ and absolutely no where near PL
CM: Doyle - Top championship - agreed, but a damn sight better than Norwood
CAM: Berge - PL - wavy hand. I get this feeling he's gonna be smashed to bits next year. If he couldn't burn down the Championship, he aint gonna do it next year
CAM: Ndiaye - PL - and then some. World class
ST: McBurnie/Brewster - Neither are close to PL

Bogle - Championship and no further
JLT - championship (again?)
Lowe - Championship and no further
Jebbison - Not seen enough of him and not fed with decent chances

pommpey

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

We might stay up, but whether you are deluded I will leave to those that know you.

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

We definitely need to be spot on with recruitment as funds are going to be limited but no I don’t think you’re deluded to think we’ll stay up.

We will give it a good go - with crowds at BDTBL that will be worth a few points, at least half the starting line up is definitely premier league ready with others possibly able to make the step up, add in 3 starters (will be tough but a couple of loans and a permanent perhaps) who are also PL standard and we will be in with a fighting chance.

For me

GK: Wes - Championship, but no worse than Ramsdale was for us
LCB: JLT - I think he might surprise us and be a decent if not outstanding PL player
CB: Egan - PL - definitely, but needs to watch the ball over the top
RCB - Anel - PL - definitely
LWB: RND - Championship - jury's out on him
RWB: Baldock - PL - Definitely
CM: Norwood - Top championship - nope. Mid Champ and absolutely no where near PL
CM: Doyle - Top championship - agreed, but a damn sight better than Norwood
CAM: Berge - PL - wavy hand. I get this feeling he's gonna be smashed to bits next year. If he couldn't burn down the Championship, he aint gonna do it next year
CAM: Ndiaye - PL - and then some. World class
ST: McBurnie/Brewster - Neither are close to PL

Bogle - Championship and no further
JLT - championship (again?)
Lowe - Championship and no further
Jebbison - Not seen enough of him and not fed with decent chances

pommpey
Why have you got Robinson twice with different ratings?

Think most of our players are Championship standard..

BUT think Hecky has a bit of the Jose Mourinho's about him.
What I mean is that he's pragmatic, it's often not pretty but is usually incredibly effective.
It's win at any cost mentality, so expect us to spend large spells in matches parking the bus

and you have to admit this season when we decide to sit back...we are fantastic at soaking up pressure.
Even Man City struggled against us, they needed a penalty and breakaway counter attack from a big defensive mistake.
Again in the FA cup Spurs had loads of attacks against but never looked like scoring.
Wouldn't surprise me if we pick up quite alot of 1-0 wins, don't think anyone will thrash us because we are so defensively strong.

The big weakness regards our defence is the lack of pace, Egan gets done all the time.
However if we sit back and get in our shape, then it's difficult for even the likes of a Man City to create much.

Looks like once again the management staff and players will have to do it without the backing of the fans

To have achieved what they have against a backdrop of hysteria and glum pessimism is some achievement and I guess is why they all mentioned the fans during the celebrations in some kind of vein attempt to get them onside and behind them next season when they will be needed

Not looking like it worked so far

Think most of our players are Championship standard..

BUT think Hecky has a bit of the Jose Mourinho's about him.
What I mean is that he's pragmatic, it's often not pretty but is usually incredibly effective.
It's win at any cost mentality, so expect us to spend large spells in matches parking the bus

and you have to admit this season when we decide to sit back...we are fantastic at soaking up pressure.
Even Man City struggled against us, they needed a penalty and breakaway counter attack from a big defensive mistake.
Again in the FA cup Spurs had loads of attacks against but never looked like scoring.
Wouldn't surprise me if we pick up quite alot of 1-0 wins, don't think anyone will thrash us because we are so defensively strong.

The big weakness regards our defence is the lack of pace, Egan gets done all the time.
However if we sit back and get in our shape, then it's difficult for even the likes of a Man City to create much.
I'll bet man city beat us twice without conceding

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

I think your pretty spot on in your assessment,s ,however if we get injuries to key players we could be in big trouble, our most important close season for signings in a long time, vital we get it right

I’m confident that at the very least we will be competitive in the fight to stay up.

We are a better side pound for pound than the last two sides we went up with. Coupled with a lot of medium term uncertainty at the clubs likely to be around the bottom half.

Of course we can stay up, but it's just going to be really difficult. We certainly won't have one of the best 17 squads whoever we sign. But its possible we can put out an 11 each week, that has some genuine class and that is greater than the some of its parts, against Prem sides often caught up in the chaos of bloated squads, constant manager turnover and over expectant often toxic fans. We do need to really sign well, be patient with players and staff and do our part as fans.

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

We might get away with our first eleven being good enough but the rest of the squad certainly isn’t good enough, as was shown this season as soon as we started to get injuries, which we will undoubtedly also get next season.

I don't think their good enough to finish 20th actually

A genuine take over, you know, the type where the prospective owner actually exists or has real cash, could make all the difference. If not it's going to be a serious challenge. Just thank the lord we got there.

depends what happens if we keep our best players & find a goalscorer from somewhere we are looking decent

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

There isn’t 15m.

I think we'll stay up, obviously with the caveat need to see how the squad looks nearer the kick off to the season.

We'll definitely be in a struggle, but we don't need to be great to stay up just better than three others.
I think it is a case of which of the current bottom3 teams would get in our team and vice versa and the might be a good indication of where we are at

RCB - Anel - PL

JLT - championship

I would agree with most of those ratings, apart from Wes and RND who I think are both good enough for the PL. RND will be fine as both LCB and LWB too.

In terms of what we need, well as things stand:

• Another CB, to keep the rest honest (so to speak)
  • A RWB to compete with Baldock, unless Bogle can get himself back to his former levels.
  • I have a feeling that we wont sign a LWB, simply because we have numbers in that position, even if not the quality (RND aside).
  • At least 3 midfielders
  • 2 strikers.

If Ndiaye leaves, then add in another 2 players (ST and AM) to try and replace his goals and assists.

Back
Top Bottom