Archer, what's with buy-back contracts?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I assume the only way he would come back is if we were an established PL team i.e we survive for say the next 3 seasons. In theory under that scenario we should be able to afford him even at £25M??
So, for all practical purposes, not relevant.

Rumour has it we are interested in Archer from Villa. It is reported that Villa wants a buy-back clause.

The way I read this is "we sell you a player, you develop him, you pay him, you increase his value, we decide when we can buy him back and for a price we want you can't do anything but thank you for making us more money"

This is a disgusting type of contract as it allows bigger clubs to monopolize and control the transfer market using all other clubs as feeder clubs and keeping them poor.
Sure, give them first refusal at the point of sale for market price but this kind of deal would never benefit smaller clubs..

Imagine if we developed another illy and then we had to sell him for a fraction of his value while the other club gets Grealish type money for him...disgusting

This type of restrictive contract should be stopped and if we have to miss out on a player because of it then it's ok by me.
10m and if he does well, for 30m they can buy Brewster 😆

So, for all practical purposes, not relevant.
You wouldn't know that until it happened . . . . . it's like having a set of screwdrivers - you won't know if you have the relevant screwdriver until the exact time you need to screw in a screw . . . . I'm more than happy to have a philosophical debate about 'utility' but it is Friday night and I do have beers to drink, so hurry up!!

The buy back clause may be the thing that turns the Archer deal from an unobtainable £20m to a potentially doable £10m. Even if the buy back is set to something low like £20m I think it could make sense.

Just imagine is we had put a buy back clause in the sale sod

Kyle walker
Harry Maguire
DCL
Ramsdale
brooks….

We might have been able to exercise one of them if we were in the prem or be cheeky and buy then back and sell them on to someone else for more money.
Yeah that wouldn't happen...

be ok . liverpool put a buy back clause in Brewster sale , theyve not been beck for him

its like gertting suckered in to a five year 100 quid insurance policy to buy a 40 quid Alexa dot,,, nah be reet pal , Ill risk it
Do you even now how it worked?
According to 'Anfield Voice' we paid about £20m for Brewster. Liverpool could buy him back for £40m.
If we sold him to anyone else, we'd give them 15% of the fee.
In the meantime we got the use of who was (supposed to be) a very good young player.
Where's the suckering??

Do you even now how it worked?
According to 'Anfield Voice' we paid about £20m for Brewster. Liverpool could buy him back for £40m.
If we sold him to anyone else, we'd give them 15% of the fee.
In the meantime we got the use of who was (supposed to be) a very good young player.
Where's the suckering??
The supposed to be bit

Thank god for the automatic buy back upon relegation because this guy is nowhere near what I thought he was going to be.

Absolutely miles off premier league standard. Hold up play is none existent, doesn't press the ball, gasses after 60 minutes despite barely touching the ball.

Just a shame they can't buy him back in January.

Thought it was £8m then if we stay up additional £8m otherwise they take him back if we go down ?

Thank god for the automatic buy back upon relegation because this guy is nowhere near what I thought he was going to be.

Absolutely miles off premier league standard. Hold up play is none existent, doesn't press the ball, gasses after 60 minutes despite barely touching the ball.

Was dynamite with Akpom for Boro last season, look at his finishing against Everton, who else we got with an end product like that? don’t think he’s a problem at all think it’s the SEVERE lack of chance creation from midfield. We play nothing like last seasons Boro, even last season we were nothing like them, unpopular opinion but they played much better football than we did and their style of play last season would’ve faired much better this season in the prem than ours.

He looked very good for Boro, but I watched their 2 play off semis and he was poor.

Your on to something though, send him back in Jan. We should be looking for a typical Yoonited player not someone like Archer, you know a big lump that we can hoof it to, someone with no technical ability but gets reyt stuck in.

Agree but you have to ask why?
He was quality at Boro so why not here?
Would love to get Hecky drunk so he gives his reasons why, he must know the reason.

Maybe thinks playing football is all about your team being in possession, passing and shooting with link play.
and he never imagined going SU would put the focus on what he does out of possession and he would be asked to chase long balls like he's a greyhound.
Also maybe he's a bit of a sulker and thinks what's the point in pressing because its a waste of energy as PL defenders just pass around you.

He looked very good for Boro, but I watched their 2 play off semis and he was poor.

Read the Boro forum in detail when we were after Archer and Akpom.
They were pretty consistent in their views, they didn't just turn negative when they found out he was joining us.

Regards Akpom
They rated him as a better player than Archer. He's previously not been anything special at Boro but last season was easily his best season
and his performances were consistently good. They said he used to play up front as striker but with Archer in team there was a tactical switch
Akpom would drop more into midfield making late forward runs and his understand and link play with Archer was really good.
They really liked Akpom as a person and they expected him to leave to better things, as he was getting on a bit.
There was quite a lot of anger when they heard he might be joining us, saying it's a waste as SU will definitely be back in the Championship
so he may as well stay at Boro, so when they heard he was going to Ajax they were pleased saying he deserves this big move.

Regards Archer
They saw him as talented but inconsistent, sometimes looked a world beater but other times doing very little in match, looking ineffective.
However once they lost Akpom they were really hopeful that Archer would return to Boro.
When they heard he was coming to us they weren't happy but accepted he was desperate to play in the PL.

It seems that Hecky might have wanted to sign both players...knowing they already have good link play....that would have been the best option.

Your on to something though, send him back in Jan. We should be looking for a typical Yoonited player not someone like Archer, you know a big lump that we can hoof it to, someone with no technical ability but gets reyt stuck in.
Like ndiaye
Gibbs white
Billy.sharp
Didsy
Duffy
Leon
Berge
And mousset ?

Love to know what you think he's contributed apart from two shots against Everton since he's been here?

Because the facts will tell you he's not had a shot on target in 4 matches, he's touched the ball 35 times or less in those 4 matches and balls bounce off him likes he's a brick wall.

Premier league might as well be a different sport compared to the championship and this guy is miles off being good enough for this league.

Sorry I just don't think this is the time to be judging how good a young player is.

Our sole focus should be working on getting the most out of our collective group.

That's something affected massively by form, confidence, morale, who you're playing alongside. It's wheels within wheels stuff.

I guarantee you that we are not signing or selling our way to survival.

Love to know what you think he's contributed apart from two shots against Everton since he's been here?

Because the facts will tell you he's not had a shot on target in 4 matches, he's touched the ball 35 times or less in those 4 matches and balls bounce off him likes he's a brick wall.

Premier league might as well be a different sport compared to the championship and this guy is miles off being good enough for this league.
He’s isolated up front for a team that can’t put a few passes together, he’s not the issue

Berge shouldn’t be in that list.

All those players had a team creating chances behind them, writing Archer off with this seasons shit show is crazy.
Thats not the point
You said a typical " yoonited " player was a
" you know a big lump that we can hoof it to, someone with no technical ability but gets reyt stuck in."

Thats not the point
You said a typical " yoonited " player was a
" you know a big lump that we can hoof it to, someone with no technical ability but gets reyt stuck in."
Yea to a lot of our old fashioned supporters it seems this is what they like to see.

Of course he will struggle in this team. We can’t string 2/3 passes together over 90 mins. How the fuck anyone thinks he’s going to be scoring from aimless punts into channels or long clearances is beyond me. Until we stop playing like a sunday league team then he won’t do much.

Our style of play, coaching, management, formation, tactics are all the problem. He’s not getting any service.

He took on 2 players and almost assisted mcburnie yesterday. He’s got ability.

Yea to a lot of our old fashioned supporters it seems this is what they like to see.
Do they?
I just want us to be competitive and stay in or actually be in games how however we achieve this should be everyone’s priority.
The fact the recruitment during the summer was such a shit show and hecky won’t change style or formation is why all of our players are ineffective currently

Do we know the obligation is a actual thing?

Because villa aren't going to want him imo

Back
Top Bottom