Archer buyback fee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berkshire Blade

Reaction score
Apparently we are going to make a 4 million loss on him. An expensive loan and has little impact on the pitch

Apparently we are going to make a 4 million loss on him. An expensive loan and has little impact on the pitch

Signed for £18m on four year deal so there's an amortisation charge of £4.5m this season. We'd get very little FFP benefit for selling him for £14m so I find it difficult to believe we'd agree to that.

I'm sure the naysayer ITKs will be along shortly to tell me he's actually going back for £4m.

Signed for £18m on four year deal so there's an amortisation charge of £4.5m this season. We'd get very little FFP benefit for selling him for £14m so I find it difficult to believe we'd agree to that.

I'm sure the naysayer ITKs will be along shortly to tell me he's actually going back for £4m.
Tbf we are hardly going to be troubling ffp limits!!

Im sure it was reported at the time of the deal that we would actually make something like £2m on him if he went back to Villa

The deal was structured for us to be able to afford it, they were never going to take him back for the same price. If there was no buy back clause then we’d have paid full whack.

If you could offer us the opportunity to send Brewster back to Liverpool for £4m less than we paid we’d all drive him there on behalf of the club.

Good player at Championship level, but the Premier League is full of big, powerful, athletic players and if you are smaller you have to have outstanding skill or unusual physicality. I think his stature and size puts a ceiling on him of top end Championship.

We would have been better getting someone big and mobile in the summer ala Brereton Diaz who perhaps is less of a natural / technical finisher. Or loaning a proven veteran at this level.

No you didn't. Both clubs were vocal about the clause back in August when the deal was made.
It was the reason it took a while to get over the line

1714491380190.png

And why are they saying they "Could" activate it?
It's compulsory unless both teams, AND Archer agree to change it

Rubbish article - doesn't even say whether it's their option or our option or both - their previous article on the same issue implied that only Villa have the option , not us - so we are stuck with him on relegation if they don't fancy having him back.
Which makes no sense to me.
My understanding was that if relegated , it is our option and we can compel Villa to buy him back at an agreed fee , which is a little less than we paid - hence the popular notion that it was really a loan and the difference in fee from original to buyback is in effect a loan-fee.
I recall it being said that the deal even included what his wages would be on such a "forced" return to Villa.
The deal was apparently structured so that if we'd stayed up , we did NOT have the option , which meant that the deal was NOT a loan (because no one could predict with certainty - apart from Blades fans - what the outcome of the season would be.
That's what I understand to be our rights.
I don't know if , as a corollary , Villa had the option to buy him back (against our wishes) if we'd stayed up.
So after all that waffle , i believe Bettis was publicly pleased with the deal at the time , because it protected us financially if we got relegated and needed to recoup (most of) the fee and offload his wages.
In cashflow terms , I further understand that we paid an initial £9m , with the balance of £9m due this summer if he stays (figures are approx).
Of course the proof of the pudding is always in the eating.
I imagine Villa don't want him back since he's done nowt special for us and we will be desperate to recoup our money.
So it's going to be a case of us relying on the deal to force Villa to buy him back (will this end up in court I wonder , given that it broke new legal ground and the PL looked very hard at the terms before sanctioning it).
The PL transfer window opens on 14 June and surely this will be our first bit of business - I can't see us coughing up the £9m balance or continuing to pay his wages (very much doubt there is a relegation clause in his contract with us coz it would seem irrelevant).
We will want to get our greasy mitts on what the deal says we can recoup of the initial £9m.
What I have written is in good faith , gleaned from announcements and media reports at the time.
Please don't hesitate to correct me if you have direct knowledge or a different understanding.
As ever , I could be wrong 🙂

That said, have we ever considered not enforcing the “put” and keeping him for next year?
I don't think he's worth it , we haven't got another £9m to complete the purchase which is due this summer and we need to recoup whatever money we can from the initial £9m (say , £6-7m) - effectively we are talking about approx £15m to help build the squad.

I can't see how it's true, but IF it is then it isn't the first time we've had our fingers burnt after signing a player based on scoring a few goals during a short stint in the championship.. Robinson, Brewster.. Any others?

If true, that is a woeful bit of business.
I didn't expect the glorified loan to be free, but £4m for one season is terrible.
Very on brand for the worst transfer window we've ever had. Absolute clowns running our transfers.

The year is 2024 and people still read the toss written by football insider
Aye
Even by the (extremely) low bar we’ve set this season I needed to re-read the assertion that “Archer has been one of the brighter lights in a struggling United team this season”
Even if accurate it’s hardly a ringing endorsement.

Back
Top Bottom