Fitness, Intensity and Quality

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
The Sheffield United socials often post flashbacks to matches over the years. Often a positive result against our upcoming opponents.

Something that strikes me whether it is either in the championship or PL. Is when looking at the Wilder first stint games on our rise up to top half finish PL.
Whatever the quality was on the pitch, there was most certainly a better level of fitness and intensity lacking in our current squad. Or at least it appears so, and from memory I would say I reckon so too.

It's clear there are some issues to fitness given too many players seem to fade 60-70 mins in. Although there are factors such as chasing the ball rather than controlling the ball which play into this as well.
Lets not forget too that some players we signed in the summer were not ready (Souza for instance) and then we had players still injured during the whole summer as well.

But just looking at highlights and remembering what it was like in the good times under Wilder Mk 1. You'd got the likes of Baldock and Stevens along with O'Connell and Basham who were literally all action. Whether thats in the press or getting up and down the pitch and offering attacking options. But watch their intent and intensity and it's night and day. In midfield the likes of Fleck keeping tracks on a player and even Norwood to an extent.
We were greater than the sum of our parts and it wasn't just down to overalapping centrebacks or momentum.
There was some fit players in there who rarely missed matches and kept the intensity of the game high enough to "bridge" the gap so to speak with higher calibre of players.

Whatever the quality will be on the pitch come next season this has to be addressed and re-instated. Wilder has alluded to getting a "good pre-season in the lads" and I think he's got a point here.
It would seem they are just not conditioned quite right, which would also point to why we had so many injuries under Hecky.
Tom Little was appointed just under 2 years ago and whilst I'm not suggesting he needs to go, you wonder if there might be a change here. Even if it's a change of instruction for what Little needs to do.

You would expect we will lose some quality in our squad this summer. The likes of Anel and Archer seem very likely. I hope Hamer and Arblaster do not leave and even losing McBurnie is a loss for the champ in my opinion.

I would hope we bring in some quality too, but some posters seem to indicate a fair bit of doom regards incomings this summer!

However, whomever is wearing that shirt, whether they possess some real quality for the champ such as Hamer, or we sign the next Dean Hammond getting that fitness + intensity back should surely help us either bounce back for a promotion push. Or help stop us from sinking!

It's clear there are some issues to fitness given too many players seem to fade 60-70 mins in. Although there are factors such as chasing the ball rather than controlling the ball which play into this as well.

A huge part of this is that, as you say, we are not in possession most of the time. Additionally, it does not seem unreasonable to suggest that other teams are more on the ball in terms of how much they have their players press, chase and use what they have in the tank, and recognise that with additional substitutions, you can actually have pre-planned substitutions and tell someone to go out in a game knowing they are only going to play 60-65 minutes, and to use up their energy accordingly. That sort of pretty basic thinking is likely something that's never occurred to our coaching staff, or if it has, it is certainly not evident in substitutions made. You do have to wonder how much more productive our forwards would have been if we had taken an approach of "well McBurnie and Brewster have problems remaining fit, what if we just never ask either to play 90 and switch between the two at half time"

From what I've witnessed this season it's got little to do with us chasing their players or the ball , we just seem to hang around in our half of the pitch waiting for something to happen and eventually when we get the ball we give them back and we are usually still in our half.

The Sheffield United socials often post flashbacks to matches over the years. Often a positive result against our upcoming opponents.

Something that strikes me whether it is either in the championship or PL. Is when looking at the Wilder first stint games on our rise up to top half finish PL.
Whatever the quality was on the pitch, there was most certainly a better level of fitness and intensity lacking in our current squad. Or at least it appears so, and from memory I would say I reckon so too.

Lets not forget too that some players we signed in the summer were not ready (Souza for instance) and then we had players still injured during the whole summer as well.

But just looking at highlights and remembering what it was like in the good times under Wilder Mk 1. You'd got the likes of Baldock and Stevens along with O'Connell and Basham who were literally all action. Whether thats in the press or getting up and down the pitch and offering attacking options. But watch their intent and intensity and it's night and day. In midfield the likes of Fleck keeping tracks on a player and even Norwood to an extent.
We were greater than the sum of our parts and it wasn't just down to overalapping centrebacks or momentum.
There was some fit players in there who rarely missed matches and kept the intensity of the game high enough to "bridge" the gap so to speak with higher calibre of players.

Whatever the quality will be on the pitch come next season this has to be addressed and re-instated. Wilder has alluded to getting a "good pre-season in the lads" and I think he's got a point here.
It would seem they are just not conditioned quite right, which would also point to why we had so many injuries under Hecky.
Tom Little was appointed just under 2 years ago and whilst I'm not suggesting he needs to go, you wonder if there might be a change here. Even if it's a change of instruction for what Little needs to do.

You would expect we will lose some quality in our squad this summer. The likes of Anel and Archer seem very likely. I hope Hamer and Arblaster do not leave and even losing McBurnie is a loss for the champ in my opinion.

I would hope we bring in some quality too, but some posters seem to indicate a fair bit of doom regards incomings this summer!

However, whomever is wearing that shirt, whether they possess some real quality for the champ such as Hamer, or we sign the next Dean Hammond getting that fitness + intensity back should surely help us either bounce back for a promotion push. Or help stop us from sinking!
You are indeed correct in all you say and as IdLiketoRogerMoore says, it's something which has been an issue for a long part of the season.

It HAS to be a priority now to get the players fit enough for a 46 game season and also to peak at the right time.

From what I've witnessed this season it's got little to do with us chasing their players or the ball , we just seem to hang around in our half of the pitch waiting for something to happen and eventually when we get the ball we give them back and we are usually still in our half.
It's an amazing tactic. It's giving the ball away under no pressure as well.

But I'm not just meaning chasing, but intensity to our attacking play too.

Back
Top Bottom