Adkins watch....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm happy to read posts questioning Adkins' tactics, his recruitment, even (as if it matters one jot) how he talks to the half witted reporters from Radio Pork, but to start through a thread to read that he should be sacked because he's too pleasant? Yes, a slow day in football la-la land.

I wish I had never seen him now! This thread certainly escalated! It was only a tongue in cheek post

I'm happy to read posts questioning Adkins' tactics, his recruitment, even (as if it matters one jot) how he talks to the half witted reporters from Radio Pork, but to start through a thread to read that he should be sacked because he's too pleasant? Yes, a slow day in football la-la land.
I believe that Adkins personality does not lend itself to effective man management. He does appear to be a nice chap, who doesn't do anger or emotion, but this means he lacks certain skills required for effective football management. He prefers to study what's gone wrong, instead of tearing a strip off players. He lacks the required steel to to gain the respect of certain difficult players.
With managers like Warnock and Bassett, they were experts at building team spirit and they earned the respect of the players, however players knew there was a line that you did not cross and if you did then get ready for the consequences.
Adkins bank manager/school teacher style does not appear to have been embraced by some players and this has led to a lack of respect and discipline from certain players. Adams, Baxter and others dont fear the consequences of their actions. Instead of managing the likes of difficult players like McNulty and Freeman, he takes the easy option and sends them out on loan. A good manger finds a way of managing these players, after all thats what he gets paid for. Instead, Adkins takes the easy option and loans them out, prefering yes men with less ability. He probably comes over to the players, like he does to a lot of the fans, as a bit of a joke who doesn;t know what he's doing, with his cliches and baffling phrases and interviews. Lets face it, a lot of the fans think he's a joke, so I'm certain some of the players will too and dont forget they have to put up with him on a daily basis.

I believe that Adkins personality does not lend itself to effective man management. He does appear to be a nice chap, who doesn't do anger or emotion, but this means he lacks certain skills required for effective football management. He prefers to study what's gone wrong, instead of tearing a strip off players. He lacks the required steel to to gain the respect of certain difficult players.
With managers like Warnock and Bassett, they were experts at building team spirit and they earned the respect of the players, however players knew there was a line that you did not cross and if you did then get ready for the consequences.
Adkins bank manager/school teacher style does not appear to have been embraced by some players and this has led to a lack of respect and discipline from certain players. Adams, Baxter and others dont fear the consequences of their actions. Instead of managing the likes of difficult players like McNulty and Freeman, he takes the easy option and sends them out on loan. A good manger finds a way of managing these players, after all thats what he gets paid for. Instead, Adkins takes the easy option and loans them out, prefering yes men with less ability. He probably comes over to the players, like he does to a lot of the fans, as a bit of a joke who doesn;t know what he's doing, with his cliches and baffling phrases and interviews. Lets face it, a lot of the fans think he's a joke, so I'm certain some of the players will too and dont forget they have to put up with him on a daily basis.

You guess a lot.

Also, his personality making him a terrible manager isn't actually backed up by his multiple successes within football management.

But still, I bet you can explain that away.

"Early promise", eh?

But it has worked in the past for NA, but not with these bunch of self-seeking wasters who have been stealing a living off you and I for a number of years. They didn't exactly respond to the mardy NC either. The secret might be to get rid of the ne'er do wells and replace them with players who will respond in a more professional manner.

But unfortunately, McCabe and some on here may rush to look for a sticking plaster. But the sands of time run short..

Adkins has to contend with a dysfunctional board and a dysfunctional team. The former want to "cut the cloth" and the latter happy to take their extraordinary wages for less than ordinary effort/ability (how much is Connor on??). I'm not clapping a "Adkins is Super Great" tune, but by crikey, it's hardly an easy job. And meanwhile, he is damned for being pleasant, cheeky fucker has the temerity to go out and enjoy himself supporting a Sheffield sporting team. And gives bland messages to Radio Pork. As I have said before, let's concentrate on what matters, the tactics (for which he is directly responsible) and recruitment (a bit more vague where the responsibility lies).

Adkins has to contend with a dysfunctional board and a dysfunctional team. The former want to "cut the cloth" and the latter happy to take their extraordinary wages for less than ordinary effort/ability (how much is Connor on??). I'm not clapping a "Adkins is Super Great" tune, but by crikey, it's hardly an easy job. And meanwhile, he is damned for being pleasant, cheeky fucker has the temerity to go out and enjoy himself supporting a Sheffield sporting team. And gives bland messages to Radio Pork. As I have said before, let's concentrate on what matters, the tactics (for which he is directly responsible) and recruitment (a bit more vague where the responsibility lies).
His tactics and recruitment have been shite. Is that ok?

His tactics and recruitment have been shite. Is that ok?

Not a problem with that, that's the point, let's not condemn the man for being positive though.

Sharp and Edgar have been OK. Thought we did well against Coventry at BDTBL and were tactically awful at The Stadium of Hush. That's a proper debate.

Not a problem with that, that's the point, let's not condemn the man for being positive though.

Sharp and Edgar have been OK. Thought we did well against Coventry at BDTBL and were tactically awful at The Stadium of Hush. That's a proper debate.

And most people would now very much like us to get Baptiste back.

You guess a lot.

Also, his personality making him a terrible manager isn't actually backed up by his multiple successes within football management.

But still, I bet you can explain that away.

"Early promise", eh?

Also, the suggestion that Warnock was some sort of magician that was able to deal with all player issues by incorporating all players he had issues with into the team is pure fantasy. Ribeiro, Shaw, Cullip, Hayles, Horsfield, Gillespie, Nalis, Murphy, Windass, Francis – all players he fell out with at times, leading to them being loaned out or sold. Murphy and Gillespie were the only ones that came back into the fold after a fallout.

And with the exception of Ribeiro and Murphy, these were signings he made in the first place.

Truth be told, I watched him against Walsall and it was immediately obvious he was a standard above the others on the pitch. Championship standard he was.

I watched his first game where he kept hitting the ball straight up in the air and wondered what the hell we'd done to be honest but once he settled in, as you say, he's been a class above.

For the sake of a proper debate, I think we had a poor squad that finished last season in terms of what the aims of that season were. We ultimately underachieved, but we still finished 5th. To me, a squad that finishes 5th in a poor division like the third, should easily be capable of 2nd with 5 signings, which is obviously the amount of signings we had for the majority of the season. In fairness to McCabe, Adkins was given that room to sign those 5, one on quite a substantial fee and the rest on very big, if not the biggest wages in the division. And I repeat, this should have been enough to take a 5th placed team in to 2nd place in league division three. But they had to be the right players, and it is down to Adkins that that is not the case. He has the final say in transfers as McCabe stated at the fans forum the other night.

If you don't agree with this, I'd be interested to know - what's the counter argument? I have seen "we sold our best player" - I believe that even after we sold Murphy, we still had a squad that could have made 2nd with 5 signings. And that's without the £2m McCabe says we got for him to spend. We didn't spend that on strengthening at first team football level and that is McCabes biggest mistake of this season. He should have reinvested that money in to making additions to the first team and not used it to pay wages so he could get away without putting as much money in.

I genuinely haven't seen any other counter argument to any of the points raised above apart from "he had to deal with the dross Clough left behind". This argument is completely redundant because even though it was a squad last season that underachieved in terms of where it wanted to be, it still finished 5th and it still had room, as we have seen, for those 5 signings that as I say, provided they were the right ones, should have been enough to take a 5th placed side and take it to 2nd in the third division.

For the sake of a proper debate, I think we had a poor squad that finished last season in terms of what the aims of that season were. We ultimately underachieved, but we still finished 5th. To me, a squad that finishes 5th in a poor division like the third, should easily be capable of 2nd with 5 signings, which is obviously the amount of signings we had for the majority of the season. In fairness to McCabe, Adkins was given that room to sign those 5, one on quite a substantial fee and the rest on very big, if not the biggest wages in the division. And I repeat, this should have been enough to take a 5th placed team in to 2nd place in league division three. But they had to be the right players, and it is down to Adkins that that is not the case. He has the final say in transfers as McCabe stated at the fans forum the other night.

If you don't agree with this, I'd be interested to know - what's the counter argument? I have seen "we sold our best player" - I believe that even after we sold Murphy, we still had a squad that could have made 2nd with 5 signings. And that's without the £2m McCabe says we got for him to spend. We didn't spend that on strengthening at first team football level and that is McCabes biggest mistake of this season. He should have reinvested that money in to making additions to the first team and not used it to pay wages so he could get away without putting as much money in.

I genuinely haven't seen any other counter argument to any of the points raised above apart from "he had to deal with the dross Clough left behind". This argument is completely redundant because even though it was a squad last season that underachieved in terms of where it wanted to be, it still finished 5th and it still had room, as we have seen, for those 5 signings that as I say, provided they were the right ones, should have been enough to take a 5th placed side and take it to 2nd in the third division.

Sorry to disappoint... But you make many valid points. As I said before, we disagreed as I felt you disregarded Adkins before he had a chance to prove himself, but truth be told he has not exactly excelled.

I'm on the fence now, having been comfortably sat in the Adkins garden before. The only slight quibble I would have with your (best yet) post is that the team that finished fifth last season did not do so on the form they showed in the final stages of the season and were on the decline.

I'm waiting for Dr McNulty to offer his psychoanalytical appraisal of the Adkins' Body Language and Post Match Interview Syndrome...

Sex Masochism anyone?

Back
Top Bottom