Adkins watch....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Perhaps part of the problem is that Adkins is too nice and thats why several members of the squad dont respect/fear him. I suspect that players such as Adams see him as weak and a soft touch and they believe they can get away with things, that Clough would not have tolerated.
I really dont care if he's a decent guy or not. What matters is how he performs a a manager and so far he's been a disaster. He's tried to convince everyone that three wins and two draws means everythings sorted for the future and some fans have actually swallowed his spin. Hopefully yesterday has brought people back to their senses.
His CV was good, however his last two appointments have lowered his standing considerably. These two appointments have a resulted in relegation for Reading and then the sack and at the Blades he has turned a play off team into a mid table team. People who rave about his CV conveniantly overlook his last two jobs. Dont fancy his chances of getting much of a job when he gets the sack (sooner rather than later hopefully).

He joined Reading in the middle of March so I'd love to read the argument for Reading's relegation being down to him.

He joined Reading in the middle of March so I'd love to read the argument for Reading's relegation being down to him.
During his period at Reading he did nothing to turn around their fortunes. .After taking over he failed to revive them and they were relegated. Despite parachute payments he did not get them back up. Reading fans on the whole were delighted when he was sacked, as his mistakes there mirrowed his errors at the Blades, such as constantly trying different systems, baffling substitutions and bizare cliche filled press conferences. His last two jobs have shown what he really is, a useless, spin merchant of a manager.

During his period at Reading he did nothing to turn around their fortunes. .After taking over he failed to revive them and they were relegated. Despite parachute payments he did not get them back up. Reading fans on the whole were delighted when he was sacked, as his mistakes there mirrowed his errors at the Blades, such as constantly trying different systems, baffling substitutions and bizare cliche filled press conferences. His last two jobs have shown what he really is, a useless, spin merchant of a manager.

I'm not saying he was successful at Reading, he clearly wasn't.
Neither did he get them relegated.
He joined in mid March. The season finished in April.

People who rave about his CV conveniantly overlook his last two jobs.

No, they just weigh that against the other two-thirds of his career in English football. I'd actually say that those that focus on his last two jobs conveniently disregard the fact that his other jobs where he was a success form the vast majority of his managerial CV.

I'm not saying he was successful at Reading, he clearly wasn't.
Neither did he get them relegated.
He joined in mid March. The season finished in April.
He was brought in at Reading with a remit of saving them from relegation, but failed to do so. The following season he again failed, as Reading were not promoted. After a promising start to his management career at Scunthorpe and the Saints (although there was a relegation in there), his career is in decline. I believe that more attention needs to be paid to his recent performance at Reading and the Blades, instead of fans just quoting the impressive parts of CV, from the early part of his career. At his last two clubs he has been unable to address their down turn in fortunes. To attempt to do so he resorts to constatly trying new systems, as he attempts to stumble accross a winning formula.The changes made to the system appear to be done in desperation, rather than with any belief, while at the same time he continues with spin and more spin. He must surely have been advised by friends/coaching staff/board members regarding his endless positivity and cliche filled press conferences, however he is perhaps too arrogant or just plain stupid to take the advice on board. After the promising start to his career other managers appear to have found him out and are out thinking him, (Phil Brown at Southend for instance). He appears tactically inept and doesn;t seem to learn from his mistakes.

No they're all difficult. He has more resources than most but also higher expectations.
I wouldn't expect any manager to be given abuse when they're not "on the job" which is the point I think we agree on.

All very nice and warm . Get real . There is so much apathy around , are we really bothered about even talking to the bloke if we see him in civvies . What do you actually say . Hello Nigel , enjoying my football all . Hope you are well and enjoying the city and your job.

Fingers down throat time.

He was brought in at Reading with a remit of saving them from relegation, but failed to do so. The following season he again failed, as Reading were not promoted. After a promising start to his management career at Scunthorpe and the Saints (although there was a relegation in there), his career is in decline. I believe that more attention needs to be paid to his recent performance at Reading and the Blades, instead of fans just quoting the impressive parts of CV, from the early part of his career. At his last two clubs he has been unable to address their down turn in fortunes. To attempt to do so he resorts to constatly trying new systems, as he attempts to stumble accross a winning formula.The changes made to the system appear to be done in desperation, rather than with any belief, while at the same time he continues with spin and more spin. He must surely have been advised by friends/coaching staff/board members regarding his endless positivity and cliche filled press conferences, however he is perhaps too arrogant or just plain stupid to take the advice on board. After the promising start to his career other managers appear to have found him out and are out thinking him, (Phil Brown at Southend for instance). He appears tactically inept and doesn;t seem to learn from his mistakes.

I think that only sensible debate about his struggles here can occur when you aren't desperately trying to go through his CV and tear it apart to try and back up your arguments against him with us.

So his 4 promotions become "a promising start" :D and he's at fault for Reading going down despite joining them a few short weeks before the season ended and you of course know the remit when he was brought in!

He resorts to "constantly trying new systems" when he's tried two here and you've probably no idea of what he's done previously. And apparently these are out of 'desperation' yet when it works he's 'stumbled across them'.

I'm all for critique and having a grown up discussion about the man's disappointing tenure here so far, but let's do it sensibly, and not the made up silly bollocks you've written above.

Agree. Nor does he give young lads enough game time.

With Clough Reed and Whiteman would have played plenty more games and maybe even Lewin ( or kept him out on loan).

To my mind Reed wasted most of last season, so did Whiteman but to a lesser extent. These lads need game time more than anything else, game time in a positive, modern environment.

To balance those comments, to his credit, I think Adkins invested a lot of risk and development in Adams and Long. Not nearly enough for where we are and where we want to be. It's not only because the owner states the obvious that we need fully blooded and experienced young players by the time we return to the Championship, not just old pros who are just another year nearer the end of their modest careers.

Big risk keeping him on after what we've seen this season. Probably a bigger risk sacking him though, typical United script:(

I think that only sensible debate about his struggles here can occur when you aren't desperately trying to go through his CV and tear it apart to try and back up your arguments against him with us.

So his 4 promotions become "a promising start" :D and he's at fault for Reading going down despite joining them a few short weeks before the season ended and you of course know the remit when he was brought in!

He resorts to "constantly trying new systems" when he's tried two here and you've probably no idea of what he's done previously. And apparently these are out of 'desperation' yet when it works he's 'stumbled across them'.

I'm all for critique and having a grown up discussion about the man's disappointing tenure here so far, but let's do it sensibly, and not the made up silly bollocks you've written above.
Upon Adkins being appointed manager, the Reading Chairman said "THIS APPOINTMENT HAS BEEN MADE WITH BOTH THE SHORT AND LONG TERM IN MIND. I WISH NIGEL WELL AND WE NOW FOCUS ON EIGHT HUGELY IMPORTANT GAMES IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE"
Adkins said "WE WILL TAKE IT ONE GAME AT A TIME AND TRY AND KEEP THIS CLUB IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE. WERE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE AND WE WANT TO STAY THERE. I AM EXITED. I HAVE JUST BEEN APPOINTED READING MANAGER. I AM VERY HAPPY ABOUT THAT AND WE LOOK FORWARD WITH POSITIVITY AS I THINK THATS IMPORTANT. YOU HAVE TO HAVE BELIEF. YOU HAVE TO DARE TO DREAM "
Reading were relegated at the end of the season, but finished a reasonable seventh the season after. The following season Adkins was sacked after losing 6-1 against Birmingham, with Reading sixteenth in the league. His sacking came after a terrible run of results. His record at Reading was, won 29, drawn 20, lost 31. The Reading chairman stated the appointment was made with the short term and long term in mind. Adkins failed on both counts, as short term he didn't keep them in the Premier League and long term, they were sliding down the Championship and in sixteenth position when he was sacked.

Upon Adkins being appointed manager, the Reading Chairman said "THIS APPOINTMENT HAS BEEN MADE WITH BOTH THE SHORT AND LONG TERM IN MIND. I WISH NIGEL WELL AND WE NOW FOCUS ON EIGHT HUGELY IMPORTANT GAMES IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE"
Adkins said "WE WILL TAKE IT ONE GAME AT A TIME AND TRY AND KEEP THIS CLUB IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE. WERE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE AND WE WANT TO STAY THERE. I AM EXITED. I HAVE JUST BEEN APPOINTED READING MANAGER. I AM VERY HAPPY ABOUT THAT AND WE LOOK FORWARD WITH POSITIVITY AS I THINK THATS IMPORTANT. YOU HAVE TO HAVE BELIEF. YOU HAVE TO DARE TO DREAM "
Reading were relegated at the end of the season, but finished a reasonable seventh the season after. The following season Adkins was sacked after losing 6-1 against Birmingham, with Reading sixteenth in the league. His sacking came after a terrible run of results. His record at Reading was, won 29, drawn 20, lost 31. The Reading chairman stated the appointment was made with the short term and long term in mind. Adkins failed on both counts, as short term he didn't keep them in the Premier League and long term, they were sliding down the Championship and in sixteenth position when he was sacked.

Ah, Wikipedia.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Adkins is too nice and thats why several members of the squad dont respect/fear him. I suspect that players such as Adams see him as weak and a soft touch and they believe they can get away with things, that Clough would not have tolerated.
I really dont care if he's a decent guy or not. What matters is how he performs a a manager and so far he's been a disaster. He's tried to convince everyone that three wins and two draws means everythings sorted for the future and some fans have actually swallowed his spin. Hopefully yesterday has brought people back to their senses.
His CV was good, however his last two appointments have lowered his standing considerably. These two appointments have a resulted in relegation for Reading and then the sack and at the Blades he has turned a play off team into a mid table team. People who rave about his CV conveniantly overlook his last two jobs. Dont fancy his chances of getting much of a job when he gets the sack (sooner rather than later hopefully).
To be fair, Weir, Robson and Heath could have all got Southampton promoted with the players they had.

No doubt is a nice guy - plenty of "nice guys" have lost their jobs in the current economic climate whilst performing better than he has

Saying that its still a stay from me

To be fair, I could have saved United from relegation after Weir was dismissed.
I think 99% of posters on here would have too.

Just sack th
Ah, Wikipedia.
Just admit that Adkins is a disaster Pete .your obsessed with him .

Ou, he's done with it. Cya then. "Little boy".

PeteBlade is a regular attendee of Sheffield United matches, Barney claims to have bought a season ticket but also claims to have sold it half a dozen games in to the season.

I will listen to the opinion of Pete, whilst the opinion of Barney is worthless.

Great to read all these comments on what a decent guy he is.
Why not leave him alone to get on with the job of putting a team together so we get up next season
He had the best cv available and we were all wetting ourselves in anticipation. He didn't get it right initially but hopefully have turned the corner.I remember Sir Alex struggling in his first season,good job for man utd, they stuck with him
and prospered.
How has he turned the corner? He's made Clough's crap even worse. He is an utter fraud....but such a nice bloke.

I dont know about slow Bank holidays....what level of slowness do those in authority at the Lane expect from us now?
As long as we are not slow to purchase season tickets to watch mind numbingly dull football we will be welcome to be "slow" enough to believe Adkins' spiel about the new season.

I dont know about slow Bank holidays....what level of slowness do those in authority at the Lane expect from us now?
As long as we are not slow to purchase season tickets to watch mind numbingly dull football we will be welcome to be "slow" enough to believe Adkins' spiel about the new season.

I'm happy to read posts questioning Adkins' tactics, his recruitment, even (as if it matters one jot) how he talks to the half witted reporters from Radio Pork, but to start through a thread to read that he should be sacked because he's too pleasant? Yes, a slow day in football la-la land.

I'm happy to read posts questioning Adkins' tactics, his recruitment, even (as if it matters one jot) how he talks to the half witted reporters from Radio Pork, but to start through a thread to read that he should be sacked because he's too pleasant? Yes, a slow day in football la-la land.

Well at least they have Barney and Brian the Blade to man it

Annoyingly pleasant bastard.

Back
Top Bottom