adkins days numbered?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lets say they did change managers, just who do you think we will be selling to pay off Adkins & co......?:)

Grumpy. , Adkins ain't going anywhere. He is fully aware of what is happening and the prince contacts and SUFC contacts . From today Adkins would like to be known as Zoltan Adkins.

UTB

Anyone else just feeling increasingly that Adkins is going? I was kind of 50/50 as to whether I thought McCabe would stick with him but this rumour from Turkey about Yanal just seems to add up that the Prince isn't happy and he wants his own man. It might all be crap of course but McCabe doesn't seen impressed at all from Adkins this season, given by his lack of support in the recent forums. I had thought that Adkins was going to stay because surely McCabe would have got rid this week, what with nothing to play for, but this rumour would explain why Adkins is still there, because they're waiting for a response from this Turkish guy. I just think no smoke without fire, and clearly the board aren't enamoured with Adkins.
After Sundays game and another up beat explanation of another turgid display. I think there'll be protest in our car park on Monday. . . . . . . from Barnsley fans

It's the McCabe way to pass on blame to someone else so can see him sacking Adkins

The board really need a firm realistic plan and to stick to it. They can't keep moving the goalposts (as they did with Clough), changing their mind at a whim, blaming the manager when they stuck with and encouraged his spending. Add to that the wasting of money on 3 year managerial contracts only to sack them after 1. The board have been as much to blame for our failure to get promotion as our managers. It's a waste of resources and will only cost us more time.
Stick with Adkins, give him the funds to get the job done and we'll go up. He's gotten a better signing in Baptiste since the new scouting and technical board was in place and he's had time to plan for next year. I know he's made errors but most of this dreadful season has not been his fault. I know some people claim his CV is the only thing keeping him in the job and while they might be right, it's proof that with resources he can get the job done. Something of an unknown with this Turkish manager. I know he's managed some top clubs over there but does he have experience of a club in a similar position? No point in faffing about with another new coach with no experience of English football.

Last edited:
Of course its only a rumour, but if it turns out to be true than it seems to mirror a certain man from across at S6 and no doubt the Pigs will say we're copying them! He has managed Turkey so he can't be that bad. It seems that adkins is totally preparing for the next few weeks and beyond etc, but of course what else would he do.
Yes but has he got a good CV????

With the lack of other options if Adkins does indeed get the sack then I wouldn't be against it. It's another angle to try after failing with:

Experienced old head
Club legend promoted to head role with no previous managerial experience
Complete rookie who had a decent playing career
The son of a great manager
"The most qualified man in the world"

Obscure foreign coach is the next step, followed by bringing back a previously successful manager (Warnock) before we start the cycle from the beginning again.
If gonna do that get Dave Bassett..after all "One David Bassett, there'sonly one David Bassett."
Good value ..he'll only be 72 come Sept 4th .

The board really need a firm realistic plan and to stick to it. They can't keep moving the goalposts (as they did with Clough), changing their mind at a whim, blaming the manager when they stuck with and encouraged his spending. Add to that the wasting of money on 3 year managerial contracts only to sack them after 1. The board have been as much to blame for our failure to get promotion as our managers. It's a waste of resources and will only cost us more time.
Stick with Adkins, give him the funds to get the job done and we'll go up. He's gotten a better signing in Baptiste since the new scouting and technical board was in place and he's had time to plan for next year. I know he's made errors but most of this dreadful season has not been his fault. I know some people claim his CV is the only thing keeping him in the job and while they might be right, it's proof that with resources he can get the job done. Something of an unknown with this Turkish manager. I know he's managed some top clubs over there but does he have experience of a club in a similar position? No point in faffing about with another new coach with no experience of English football.

sorry but this changing managers is a regressive step has no basis in reality
Leicester changed a manager who ended last season brilliantly , worked magnificently for them
piggies went for yet another manager , they finally made a play off

and both piggies and huddersfield changed managers mid season to overtake us in 2011
Wigan , elbowed a failing manager, worked for them
the average length of managerial occupancy is 14 months
those there longer have shown signs of improvement , we havent under Nigel

sorry but this changing managers is a regressive step has no basis in reality
Leicester changed a manager who ended last season brilliantly , worked magnificently for them
piggies went for yet another manager , they finally made a play off
Wigan , elbowed a failing manager, worked for them
the average length of managerial occupancy is 14 months
those there longer have shown signs of improvement , we havent
How has it worked out so far for us? We've always had our best years with a long term manager.
It only works if you keep the remaining structure the same.
If you keep changing managers like we do without any consistent structure in the background then it doesn't work because you're constantly rebuilding, as we found at the start of the season.
Also, if things start to fall apart with the head coach/DoF system, then there is a tendency to blame it all on the manager rather than looking at fundamental issues in the club. For example, Sunderland.

We haven't improved yet because our manager hasn't had the opportunity to do that. He's had to cut a bloated squad of poor players and only been able to bring in 2 permanent signings, the lowest in the division. If you think that is giving him a fair chance, I'd love to know what you think a tough task is!

How has it worked out so far for us? We've always had our best years with a long term manager.
It only works if you keep the remaining structure the same.
If you keep changing managers like we do without any consistent structure in the background then it doesn't work because you're constantly rebuilding, as we found at the start of the season.
Also, if things start to fall apart with the head coach/DoF system, then there is a tendency to blame it all on the manager rather than looking at fundamental issues in the club. For example, Sunderland.
times change , we havent learnt that thats obvious
top clubs change managers like players change boots nowadays
Chelseas had more managers than us last decade, theyve done slightly better against their peers
results are everything now, if you dont perform your out
same for players ,dont get picked if their physio stats fall off
brutal , but its a brutal game now
we dont have time to wait for improvement , we need to demand it like Wigan did

Adkins 'record' is the only thing hes got going for him and the only thing the lot who want to keep him keep banging on about. CV this, CV that...

in which case youd want someone with a similar record and as much as eveyone says we wouldnt get anyone with a record half as good as Adkins this guy on paper has a better one (win wise). I know it was abroad and so they'll say this guys CV means fuck all yet Adkins means we couldnt even dream of sacking him
Yeah, who's heard of Manisaspor? Eskişehirspor? Ankaragücü?

Whereas I'm sure names like Accrington Stanley, Port Vale and Rochdale evoke knowing winks within the European footballing cognoscenti. :D

We've tried the poor experiment of keeping useless British managers in employment, so why not? It's working at Wendy, kebabs in the refreshment bars, hookah pipes in the bogs and flares in the BLUT. What's not to like? :)

I saw Eskişehirspor play Alanyaspor in the old Turkish third division years ago - their fans were nutters and obviously expected as the crowd of 5,000 was "protected" by soldiers with submachine guns and dogs that acted like they hadn't been fed for a week and had just smelt food. By the way it was a 1-1 draw in a three sided ground, temp around 38 degrees enhanced by countless red flares.

I won't be happy if this is true. That famous quote comes to mind, you know, the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Yet another expensive managerial contract pay-off a 3rd of the way through, yet another summer of the new manager settling in and giving players a clean slate, yet another season of "rebuilding," and yet another season where we finish well below top 2. Great.

times change , we havent learnt that thats obvious
top clubs change managers like players change boots nowadays
Chelseas had more managers than us last decade, theyve done slightly better against their peers
results are everything now, if you dont perform your out
same for players ,dont get picked if their physio stats fall off
brutal , but its a brutal game now
we dont have time to wait for improvement , we need to demand it like Wigan did
They also spent a lot more money than their peers, which is incidentally when their success began. Also, unlike us they have a better scouting network.
Of course results are everything but that doesn't mean you can't think long term. I'm pretty sure though that results have always been everything. Can you remember losing ever being acceptable in professional sport?
Of course we should demand promotion but that doesn't make changing manager on a yearly basis acceptable because it hides from the fact that our club has fundamental problems within it. It also allows the board to routinely excuse their own failings, of which there have been many despite good intentions.

Certainly feels like something is going on doesn't it?

Nothing going on according to Adkins himself on RS.

He's going to have a chat with every member of the squad???????

He's not got a single pre-contract in place??????

Dump him.

latest from #twitter

@randyribbings
#SUFC new manager #SunyAnal signs 35yr contract at
#LesChamber Friday night is SwingersNight

#36FF #40GG #4-0-6 formations.

I would imagine theres a clause in Adkins contract about failure to finish in the top 6. Anyone remember his "we simply have to get up this season" comments earlier in the season.

I reckon hes a goner.

Its time for us to get some fresh ideas from abroad & enter the 21st century.

if this is true it sounds like they'd be trying to emulate what they've done in pigsville again (eg. sacking the manager just before the end of the season) and maybe getting it wrong (yet) again.

Whereas I'm sure names like Accrington Stanley, Port Vale and Rochdale evoke knowing winks within the European footballing cognoscenti. :D

We've tried the poor experiment of keeping useless British managers in employment, so why not? It's working at Wendy, kebabs in the refreshment bars, hookah pipes in the bogs and flares in the BLUT. What's not to like? :)

Heroin in the bogs...surely?

Nothing going on according to Adkins himself on RS.

He's going to have a chat with every member of the squad???????

He's not got a single pre-contract in place??????

Dump him.

I know mate, to me the pieces don't seem to fit. Just a case of strap yourself in and see what happens I suppose!

They also spent a lot more money than their peers, which is incidentally when their success began. Also, unlike us they have a better scouting network.
Of course results are everything but that doesn't mean you can't think long term. I'm pretty sure though that results have always been everything. Can you remember losing ever being acceptable in professional sport?
Of course we should demand promotion but that doesn't make changing manager on a yearly basis acceptable because it hides from the fact that our club has fundamental problems within it. It also allows the board to routinely excuse their own failings, of which there have been many despite good intentions.
poor argument
by comparison with our peers we spent more than most league one clubs

still shows that managers are not indispensable ,
Warnock did great by us , but as soon as we were relegated from the prem he became surplus
in terms of results , Blackwell , saved us from relegation got us to a play off , finished 8th in the championship and we couldnt wait to get shut
why oh why are some wanting to cling on to a man who's seeing us finish mid table in league one
with football worse than Blackwell put in front of us

its baffling

Back
Top Bottom