A couple of positives from today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I must admit, though I really, really take no pleasure or self-righteousness in saying it, but my loyalty to Clough is wearing thin especially from the stories i hear before/after matches. .

Well bloody 'ell Bill, don't stop there man.
Give us the juicy stories, and tell us where you're getting 'em from.

Watching us play is boring as fuck. Warnock's football, for example, was far more exciting.

You seem to be suggesting that entertaining the fans is an almost impossible act.

UTB

Warnocks football was turgid for all seasons aside from 2002-2003 / 2005-2006, and some home games in the premier league. It took him 2 and a half years to play some decent stuff. I get what your saying about it being exciting - it went front to back quickly, lots of balls into the box, but for a lot of games it was horrible to watch and was ultimately our downfall in the premier league.

But warnock did get succes one way or another due to patience from Dooley and McCabe, and eventually by finding the right balance to play his style more effectively.

Take man united for instance - they've been awful and boring to watch at times this season, but recently they've found the right balance to start playing more attractive football and start winning games. Maybe that's why Clough has been rotating players a lot, in order to find the right balance. If Louis Van Gaal is finding it hard with 100's of millions of pounds worth of talent then I'm okay with excusing Clough and giving him more time.

No, we shoudn't.

Clough did a brilliant job last season in rescuing us after the disaster that was David Weir, you can't deny that. He then had all summer and and has assembled what can only be described as his squad, and we're miles off the top two. I assume our wage bill is the highest in the league too. Unless we win the play-offs this season can only be described as a failure.

I think this is difficult to disagree with. NC' (and his apologists') excuses are wearing thin. I can see next season's already. 'But Wigan/Blackpool/whoever still have parachute payments and we can't compete!'

Let's put this in perspective for the 'But we're in the play-offs!' brigade. We've been left miles behind both Bristol and Preston. Both are hardly 'sleeping giants' but medium sized teams who have fallen on hard times. Like us. But both have sussed out what is required to get out of this shit division - effective goalscorers, guys who contribute from midfield, young kids who would die for the team, huge bruisers in the middle of the park etc.

We've been left scuffling it out among teams like Swindon, MKD, Chezzie and - until yesterday - Rochdale. All due respect, but these are the kind of clubs whose fans will spend all the match at Wembley in their jester hats gawping at the roof as if a spaceship has landed (like Reading yesterday). It's a big day out for them and one that's unlikely to be repeated in the forseeable. None of them are 'football' towns.

This isn't a 'United have a divine right etc. etc' point. As fans, we're as humble as Diogenes. But we deserve much, much better.

Warnocks football was turgid for all seasons aside from 2002-2003 / 2005-2006, and some home games in the premier league. It took him 2 and a half years to play some decent stuff. I get what your saying about it being exciting - it went front to back quickly, lots of balls into the box, but for a lot of games it was horrible to watch and was ultimately our downfall in the premier league.

But warnock did get succes one way or another due to patience from Dooley and McCabe, and eventually by finding the right balance to play his style more effectively.

Take man united for instance - they've been awful and boring to watch at times this season, but recently they've found the right balance to start playing more attractive football and start winning games. Maybe that's why Clough has been rotating players a lot, in order to find the right balance. If Louis Van Gaal is finding it hard with 100's of millions of pounds worth of talent then I'm okay with excusing Clough and giving him more time.

Warnock never had one of the biggest budgets in the Championship, when we did spend a few quid we got promoted.

The difference between us and Man United is the targets set at the start of the season. Man United will achieve their target of Champions League, our target was automatic but we could still go up via the playoffs, but that's far from certain. Also Van Gaal's past achievements have allowed him more time, trust and patience. What can we say about about Clough's past record that proves given time he will get it right? A spell at Derby that earnt him the nicknames of Negative Nigel and Non-league Nigel?

Based on the appointment of any manager since Warnock why do people think that the board will get the next appointment correct? Clough is as good (or bad) as Wilson or Blackwell were. We will not get Manuel Pellegrini next despite how much a section of our fans believe we are by rights a Premier League club. I'm sorry but keep sacking people and we'll remain a league one side with Morgan picking up more caretaker jobs than are healthy.

If the board want a promotion then they need to get hands in pockets sharpish for more than a gesture of a right back. We need a keeper/defender/midfielder and forward of quality or we'll become a league 1 perennial pretty soon.

You could have read my mind, Derek. (No, really! You aren't the Derek Acorah, are you? :D)

My 'umble opinion? Keep Clough. Keep him for this season and, if the board deems it, next season. Why? Well it's a bit like saying 'Get David Cameron out.' Have you seen the fucking alternatives? And football managers currently in employment are like politicians. They're the best of an extremely bad bunch.

So let's stick with what we've got, because if we don't and the board get the next appointment disastrously wrong (again) it'll be us poor fans who get all the blame. Again.

perhaps they do , but you dont rock the boat now

fortress bramall lane , weve lost 5

those fans who think it should be 23 4-0 wins or better need counselling

I don't think anyone thinks that, that is just taking the 'clapper' viee to the silly extremities of some of the more negative posters.

I am a Clough fan, I think the job he did last season was brilliant and I really enjoy the style of possesion football. However while I don't think this season has been a disaster by any means and could easily still result in promotion, given our hopes for the season and budget, I think it is fair to say that the squad aquired and season has been below expectations and Clough needs to take some criticism for that.

Obviously not at the level some are dishing it out, but failure to beat the likes of Bradford, Crewe, Fleetwood, Oldham, Notts County, Leyton Orient, Walsall, Coventry, Peterborough and a poor Barnsley side at home all in the same season is not good enough for a club with our budget and ambition. Yes all clubs will have off days but it has happened too often as above to be a classed as just off days.

So while I don't think Clough deserves the vitriol he gets from some quarters, that record means he can't be immune from some.

I don't think anyone thinks that, that is just taking the 'clapper' viee to the silly extremities of some of the more negative posters.

I am a Clough fan, I think the job he did last season was brilliant and I really enjoy the style of possesion football. However while I don't think this season has been a disaster by any means and could easily still result in promotion, given our hopes for the season and budget, I think it is fair to say that the squad aquired and season has been below expectations and Clough needs to take some criticism for that.

Obviously not at the level some are dishing it out, but failure to beat the likes of Bradford, Crewe, Fleetwood, Oldham, Notts County, Leyton Orient, Walsall, Coventry, Peterborough and a poor Barnsley side at home all in the same season is not good enough for a club with our budget and ambition. Yes all clubs will have off days but it has happened too often as above to be a classed as just off days.

So while I don't think Clough deserves the vitriol he gets from some quarters, that record means he can't be immune from some.

Agree and some of the things he says in the press make him hard to love at times. Not unlike when Warnock was in charge I am beginning to wish he would keep his mouth shut and get on with the job.

Agree and some of the things he says in the press make him hard to love at times. Not unlike when Warnock was in charge I am beginning to wish he would keep his mouth shut and get on with the job.

Agree, though to be fair that could be levelled at about 90% of managers in the football league. Maybe it is the pressure of the job or the amount of press conferences they have to do or the fact many were less than bright footballers but they don't half spout some shit at times.

Isn't a positive that clough didn't look to just preserve a 1-0 like so many have criticised him for but he brought on an attacking player to create a second...

Adams was positive and attacked whenever he could...

But then we concede a sloppy equaliser again

We lost possession in midfield when Baxter went off. Whether you like Baxter or not he was keeping the ball moving yesterday, unlike Doyle and Coutts.

We lost possession in midfield when Baxter went off. Whether you like Baxter or not he was keeping the ball moving yesterday, unlike Doyle and Coutts.
I still think Baxter is a decent player there is a improvement in every game fitness levels are better one of the few players who can make a telling pass

Is Baxter actually capable of playing 90 minutes? I can't think of a match recently where he has played the full 90.

With penalty shootouts a possibility in the playoffs, it would be nice to have our penalty taker still on the pitch!

Yeah? see how many are there next season if Clough is still our manager in this League. The bottom has fallen out of the Season ticket renewals, 16k average next season.
That's what was said this time last year, and the year before and the year before...........

Have a like, I agree with most of that.

The problem is, and I said this at the time, when you appoint a manager with no track record, giving them time equates to blind faith.

Whatever anyone's opinion on Warmock, his track record is divisions ahead of Clough's.

I would stick with Clough until Christmas, no matter what. But make no mistake if we don't go up, attendances are in for a heavy fall with him in charge delivering this turgid stuff.

UTB

True, Baxter worked hard yesterday and played ok, certainly in the first half anyway. In general though the midfield was shocking and didn't see enough around him to make any sort of difference. Both wide men were poor, if Murphy had been on his game in the first half, him and freeman should have wiped the floor with bradfords right hand side. Brayford had nothing in front of him to bring out his quality going forward.

Oh yes it was

When did anyone say last season attendances would drop like a stone this season? people were saying the opposite as we were conned into thinking we would be going all out for auto this season.

People aren't going to fall for that again. it will be back to the diehards who renewed after Danny Wilsosns second season hence the 16k average.

When did anyone say last season attendances would drop like a stone this season? people were saying the opposite as we were conned into thinking we would be going all out for auto this season.

People aren't going to fall for that again. it will be back to the diehards who renewed after Danny Wilsosns second season hence the 16k average.
Conned, conned? Oh for goodness sake shut up you idiot.

Howard never seems to save anything hit either side of him anymore. He's only getting a game for me because Judd's confidence is shot and Dangerous Iain is even worse.

I think Howard is playing with injections on his back injury , which in some way affecting both his movement and judgement due to pain . The back four is also not helping . The guy , in this instance needs a rest . It appears to me , he is playing due to no confidence in the other goalkeepers . Another bizarre situation.

UTB

I think Howard is playing with injections on his back injury , which in some way affecting both his movement and judgement due to pain . The back four is also not helping . The guy , in this instance needs a rest . It appears to me , he is playing due to no confidence in the other goalkeepers . Another bizarre situation.

UTB
I agree ,why was Willis on the bench yesterday ,is he now in front of Turner ?

Is Baxter actually capable of playing 90 minutes? I can't think of a match recently where he has played the full 90.

With penalty shootouts a possibility in the playoffs, it would be nice to have our penalty taker still on the pitch!

Good point . How we set up , the semi and final could be won on penalties , and we will need Baxter on the pitch for the shoot outs.

UTB

Great point ,Wembley is a big pitch too which doesn't suit him early in a game ,Baxter is better on a tight pitch. A second half sub would probably suit him best.

I agree ,why was Willis on the bench yesterday ,is he now in front of Turner ?

I do feel Clough has lost confidence in Turner . If we had secured the play offs earlier , i think Long would be back in the side . He may definitely get game time in the next two matches . Howard needs a rest to get over his injury , which is affecting both judgement and agility,

UTB

Great point ,Wembley is a big pitch too which doesn't suit him early in a game ,Baxter is better on a tight pitch. A second half sub would probably suit him best.

I can see both the semi and final going to penalties . Baxter would be best suited as a sub on the bench like you say and being affective in the last 10 minutes of normal time , or being brought on in extra time .

Clough will have a plan , and no doubt got this strategy in mind . Playing for a draw and winning on penalties , could be our forte and winning formula , and see nothing wrong with this at all.

UTB

I do feel Clough has lost confidence in Turner . If we had secured the play offs earlier , i think Long would be back in the side . He may definitely get game time in the next two matches . Howard needs a rest to get over his injury , which is affecting both judgement and agility,

UTB

Do you know if there is a recall on Long in the loan arrangement with Motherwell? Definitely think it would be worth bringing him back if that was the case.

Good point about Howard's back and one i'd forgotten, perhaps I was harsh on him in this instance.

Conned, conned? Oh for goodness sake shut up you idiot.

I thought the target was auto this season? Didn't the current regime say they wanted to be in The Premier League within five years? I for one expected automatic promotion this season to The Championship if that schedule was true.

I feel I was conned in the summer as it's clear from what Clough has said recently the target was actually play offs and he is puzzled why people don't think that is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom