A big thanks to Pat!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SheepdipBlade

Reaction score
Pat has made my day today!

I'm moving a canal boat from Essex to Lancashire and needed fuel near Watford. To cut a long story short I had words with a dickhead in a marina and left without a top-up (I don't suffer fools gladly nowadays) and met Pat on his boat - Little Miss Sunshine - a little later.

Pat gave me a bloke's number who sorted me out for fuel - and at a damn fine price - before saying he was hoping to get to Sheffield by water as his daughter is there. At that point I of course turned the conversation to the Blades - to which Pat (who is South African by the way) grinned and said he was a Blade too. Said he used to work down the Lane about 12 years ago!

Anyway - I mentioned our forum, which he's never signed on to, but which he said he will tonight - so Pat - thanks for the help this morning mate - and ain't it typical that the nicest, most useful bloke you meet in the arse end of Hertfordshire, turns out to be one of us - even though he's from South Africa!

Welcome to the forum Pat. Call in to Forest Locks on your way to Sheffield mate, and I'll stand you that ale I promised you.:)

#general chat.

I miss Sea Otters.

I'm moving a canal boat from Essex to Lancashire and needed fuel near Watford. To cut a long story short I had words with a dickhead in a marina and left without a top-up (I don't suffer fools gladly nowadays) and met Pat on his boat - Little Miss Sunshine - a little later.

Pat gave me a bloke's number who sorted me out for fuel - and at a damn fine price - before saying he was hoping to get to Sheffield by water as his daughter is there. At that point I of course turned the conversation to the Blades - to which Pat (who is South African by the way) grinned and said he was a Blade too. Said he used to work down the Lane about 12 years ago!

Anyway - I mentioned our forum, which he's never signed on to, but which he said he will tonight - so Pat - thanks for the help this morning mate - and ain't it typical that the nicest, most useful bloke you meet in the arse end of Hertfordshire, turns out to be one of us - even though he's from South Africa!

Welcome to the forum Pat. Call in to Forest Locks on your way to Sheffield mate, and I'll stand you that ale I promised you.:)

How old is Pat, and what does he look like?

I may know him.

How old is Pat, and what does he look like?

I may know him.
I'd have a punt at him being in his 40s, dark hair, solid build (said he was into his rugby - not unusual for a South African eh?) and perhaps 6 ft. Likes dogs - got two ( though he reckons the little snarling bleeder is just on loan from Satan!)

Sound owt like the bloke you know?

As soon as we are in the premier we get bloody foreigners jumping on board, only joking Pat welcome on board (so to speak)!

Forest Locks near Ranby fella? I cycle along there from time to time.

Does he like a nice spread? If so I think it might be Pat A...

Da dum. Tshhhhhh.

“Awwight Pat”

giphy.gif

Where in Lancashire will the boat end up SheepdipBlade?

Just curious, I have a very general interest in our inland waterways and associated transport means.
She's off to Wheelton Top Lock near Chorley on the Leeds & Liverpool. 18 days at 10 (theoretical) hours a day - so far they're nearer 13 hours a day.

River Lea south to where the evil, dirty, lying, cheating, Cockney scum play - east along the Hertford Union, Regents and then Paddington Arm of the Grand Union - turn right at Bulls Bridge and take the old Grand Junction all the way to Lapworth Junction above Warwick. Up the top half of the Lapworth Flight, along the North Stratford-upon-Avon and onto the Worcester & Birmingham. Pick up the BCN Mainline at Worcester Bar - drop down the Wolverhampton 21 and join the Shropshire Union. Take this NW to Wardle Junction, then along the Middlewich Branch to meet the Trent & Mersey. Passed Anderton Lift and through the three tunnels to join the Bridgewater Canal near Runcorn. Take the Bridgewater right through Manchester and out to Wigan - pick up the Leeds & Liverpool, up the Wigan 21 and on for about 3 hours to Wheelton.

Its about 250 miles with 350 locks. And that's why the railways won!

all this talk of how nice pat was has ruined one of the finest songs from my childhood

Last edited by a moderator:
blimey just watched that back after posting it, didn't remember it being that racially worded,

would never get away with tv like that nowadays, edit button gone, so if it's not appropriate can one of the bosses remove it

blimey just watched that back after posting it, didn't remember it being that racially worded,

would never get away with tv like that nowadays, edit button gone, so if it's not appropriate can one of the bosses remove it

Haven't you heard? You can say absolutely owt on TV now as long as it's aimed towards white people.

She's off to Wheelton Top Lock near Chorley on the Leeds & Liverpool. 18 days at 10 (theoretical) hours a day - so far they're nearer 13 hours a day.

River Lea south to where the evil, dirty, lying, cheating, Cockney scum play - east along the Hertford Union, Regents and then Paddington Arm of the Grand Union - turn right at Bulls Bridge and take the old Grand Junction all the way to Lapworth Junction above Warwick. Up the top half of the Lapworth Flight, along the North Stratford-upon-Avon and onto the Worcester & Birmingham. Pick up the BCN Mainline at Worcester Bar - drop down the Wolverhampton 21 and join the Shropshire Union. Take this NW to Wardle Junction, then along the Middlewich Branch to meet the Trent & Mersey. Passed Anderton Lift and through the three tunnels to join the Bridgewater Canal near Runcorn. Take the Bridgewater right through Manchester and out to Wigan - pick up the Leeds & Liverpool, up the Wigan 21 and on for about 3 hours to Wheelton.

Its about 250 miles with 350 locks. And that's why the railways won!
I know absolutely nothing about inland waterways in the uk. But That sounds a cracking journey in fairness. Long and slow but for anyone with time on their hands must be a decent way to travel.

Get yourself sorted next season and do all the away games by boat!

Back
Top Bottom