50 years of promotion season blips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm very surprised 1983-4 hasn't come up.

After our defeats at home to Wimbledon on 5 May 1984 and at Bolton on 7 May 1984, our record and Hull's records looked like this:

Blades P45 W23 D11 L11 F84 A53 Pts 80
Hull P43 W22 D13 L8 F69 A37 Pts 79

Nobody thought we had a hope in hell.

We went up.
Then on that Monday night Hull lost at 2nd from bottom Port Vale!

No I'm not . The facts back me up

More shots more possession
Stats and facts aren't the same.

Based on stats it could be argued that we deserved something out of the game.

Based on actually watching the game unfold and seeing Boro be a lot more effective with their possession I would argue that they deserved to win.

If we'd have put the chances away early on then it might have been different, but that doesn't mean that we were the better team or deserved anything more than what we ended up with.

Bergen Blade made a very good post about the quality of the shots that we had compared to the shots that Boro had, might be worth you finding it out and reading it through.

Then on that Monday night Hull lost at 2nd from bottom Port Vale!
Colin Tartt was a teacher at Gosforth School whilst playing for Port Vale. I remember the next day one of my classmates saying "Thanks for beating Hull last night, sir", and he replied "You're welcome", despite not having featured.

Stats and facts aren't the same.

Based on stats it could be argued that we deserved something out of the game.

Based on actually watching the game unfold and seeing Boro be a lot more effective with their possession I would argue that they deserved to win.

If we'd have put the chances away early on then it might have been different, but that doesn't mean that we were the better team or deserved anything more than what we ended up with.

Bergen Blade made a very good post about the quality of the shots that we had compared to the shots that Boro had, might be worth you finding it out and reading it through.
strange because people have been slaughtering us for winning games when the opposition has had more possesion . its just slagging us off no matter which way it goes, boro do it us and they deserve it ,,,,,

strange because people have been slaughtering us for winning games when the opposition has had more possesion . its just slagging us off no matter which way it goes, boro do it us and they deserve it ,,,,,
Nice change of argument again, typical.

We've deserved to win most of the games we've won because we've been more effective than the opposition, irrespective of performance and stats. We've done what we needed to do and won games.

Boro were better than us, to suggest anything else is purely delusional.

Colin Tartt was a teacher at Gosforth School whilst playing for Port Vale. I remember the next day one of my classmates saying "Thanks for beating Hull last night, sir", and he replied "You're welcome", despite not having featured.
Didn't realise he was a teacher at Gosforth. I remember he got booked for time wasting near the end of the FA Cup replay against us in December 1980

Nice change of argument again, typical.

We've deserved to win most of the games we've won because we've been more effective than the opposition, irrespective of performance and stats. We've done what we needed to do and won games.

Boro were better than us, to suggest anything else is purely delusional.
we were out performrd up front . we had loads of chances go begging and their keeper was heroic
the third goal gifted by the ref stopped us taking a point

Didn't realise he was a teacher at Gosforth. I remember he got booked for time wasting near the end of the FA Cup replay against us in December 1980
There is some funny footage of him playing for Chesterfield at the Lane. I think he was doing a dive imitation when there was a penalty. I remember thinking it wasn't behaviour you'd expect from a teacher. According to Wikipedia he got booked in the replay for doing keepy uppies despite there being no football law against this.

When Chesterfield played Rangers in the Anglo-Scottish Cup, Rangers manager John Greig called him the worst defender in Europe. Chesterfield went on to beat Rangers 3-0. Not long after, United played at Saltergate and our fans were chanting "You're the worst in Europe!" Needless to say we lost.

If that gets you through the week then fair enough.
we werent as awful as you make out , they played well but got the breaks at the right times which happens

Home TeamSheff UtdAway TeamMiddlesbrough BBC
Possession
Home49% Away51%
Shots Home18 Away17
Shots on Target Home10 Away 5
Corners Home6 Away6
Fouls Home1 Away8

Like I said, if that gets you through the week then fair enough. I prefer realism to fantasy.

Possession
Home49% Away51%
Shots Home18 Away17
Corners Home6 Away6
Fouls Home1 Away8

THAT DOESNT SAY EASY PEASY FOR BORO

Possession
Home49% Away51%
Shots Home18 Away17
Corners Home6 Away6
Fouls Home1 Away8

THAT DOESNT SAY EASY PEASY FOR BORO
The 3-1 score line said it all.

The best team won on the night.

I don't need to convince myself any differently, if you do then crack on.

Vale were already relegated, I think.
I remember being incredibly miserable after we lost at Bolton in that bank Holiday Monday afternoon game, only to be cheered up when Hull lost at Vale that evening.

Of course we then beat Newport on the Saturday whilst Hull drew with Bristol Rovers (who had a chance of going up had they won and United lost). Hull then needed to win by 3 in their last game at Burnley...

What bollocks we had more attempts than they did and their keeper had a blinder and the ref handed them the killer goal when we were on top
Wish I’d gone to that game that night
the one I went to we got beat by a better team on the night who had us in their pocket

that hull night game in 71 was brutal they booted us all over the lane that night none more so than future pig ken knighton most blades thought we had blown it that night
Was that the night when they failed to play “Rose Garden” for the only time that season ?

Wish I’d gone to that game that night
the one I went to we got beat by a better team on the night who had us in their pocket

Larry Henry Jr
@lhenry019

Zack Steffen celebrating with Michael Carrick after making eight saves in Middlesbrough’s HUGE 3-1 win over second place Sheffield United. Boro seven points clear of the top two now. #USMNT #SHUMID

Larry Henry Jr
@lhenry019

Zack Steffen celebrating with Michael Carrick after making eight saves in Middlesbrough’s HUGE 3-1 win over second place Sheffield United. Boro seven points clear of the top two now. #USMNT #SHUMID

Now I know that some random bloke on twitter posted a picture of the Boro goalie shaking his manager's hand at the end of the game you've convinced me.

I don't know how I didn't see it all along.

There is some funny footage of him playing for Chesterfield at the Lane. I think he was doing a dive imitation when there was a penalty. I remember thinking it wasn't behaviour you'd expect from a teacher. According to Wikipedia he got booked in the replay for doing keepy uppies despite there being no football law against this.

Back
Top Bottom