50 years of promotion season blips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ZLB

Reaction score
50 years of wobbles in promotion seasons.

Does this make you feel better, or worse?

A long way to go yet!!!

1970-71
27 Feb…Carlisle…A…0-1
9 Mar…HULL CITY…H…1-2
13 Mar…QPR…A…2-2…and we were 2-0 down.

P…3…W…0…D…1…L…2…leaving us outside the top two and having played a game more than Leicester and Cardiff.

1989-90
21 Mar…West Ham…A…0-5
24 Mar…BARNSLEY…H…1-2
…then we put on a Masterclass in a 2-0 win at Oldham, followed by a 1-0 win at Stoke…BUT then…
3 Apr…SUNDERLAND…H…1-2
7 Apr…Portsmouth…A…2-3

P…6…W…2…D…0…L…4…leaving us 2nd, with Newcastle and others hot on our tail. Then we had 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat (smashed 0-4 at Leeds) in the final 7 games.

2005-06
25 Feb…QPR…H…2-3
3 Mar…CREWE…0-0
11 Mar…Coventry…A…0-2
18 Mar…Norwich…A…1-2
...and this not long after losing 4-1 at home to promotion rivals Watford.

P…4…W…0…D…1…L…3…leaving us 2nd, 4 points ahead of Leeds and 6 ahead of Watford but having played a game more.

2018-19
No run-in blip here, the final 18 games were: P…11…D…6…L…1 (just a daft home defeat to Bristol City which left us 3rd). Winning 3-0 at Hull in game 44 (3 days after Leeds lost at home to Wigan) all but clinched it. Leeds lost 6 of their last 11 !!!

The blips were:
  • Losing the first 2 games of the season, being bottom of the league
  • An 8-game ‘wobble’ from Nov 3rd to Dec 22nd… P…8…W…2…D…3…L…3…managing three home games without a win (including Wednesday’s 0-0 win) and an away defeat at Forest
  • ...leaving us SIXTH, 9 points off Norwich and 7 points off Leeds
  • What a great finale though!!

It makes me feel better, as long as we get back to what we do best and shove a few large rockets up a few ponderous asses. N'diaye to start scoring again, Anel to get it back and Berge to use his strength and skill with more pace, or not play. Wake up United and solve the puzzles.

I'm hoping the fans can start to play a part and get behind the boys cos they need us now

Traditionally we do tend to crank it up when our backs are against the wall but that was before we had the sense of entitlement crept in

Hopefully now the absolute shambles at board level might make some realise how good we've had it

Funnily enough I was thinking about the 3-1 home defeat to Sunderland in 1990 after the Boro game. It was similar in that we went ahead early in that game through Deane, only for Sunderland to outplay us with Deane inexplicably scoring an own goal and our old friend/nemesis Gabbiadini scoring his usual goal against us.

Despite the glorious run-in in 2018-19, it's easily forgotten that the bed-wetters were out in full force after the defeat to Brizzle and even more so after the draw with Millwall at home.

Long way to go yet.

board are destroying this club , laughing stock of the league at the moment
The board can only do what the owner agrees to !
If a team who are 4 points clear with a game in hand are a “laughing stock” then the rest are struggling a little perhaps !!

Funnily enough I was thinking about the 3-1 home defeat to Sunderland in 1990 after the Boro game. It was similar in that we went ahead early in that game through Deane, only for Sunderland to outplay us with Deane inexplicably scoring an own goal and our old friend/nemesis Gabbiadini scoring his usual goal against us.

Despite the glorious run-in in 2018-19, it's easily forgotten that the bed-wetters were out in full force after the defeat to Brizzle and even more so after the draw with Millwall at home.

Long way to go yet.
Could add a 4-1 home defeat to Watford in the Warnock promotion season, around the same time as now in the season.

So did I! Gabbia-bloody-dini… Mark Todd stinker too

Long way to go yet.

I've always hated us scoring early in a game. Even the away game at Wrexham I didn't feel comfortable with that early goal.

2018 -2019 I thought our blip was at Villa on February 8th. Dominating and yet got pegged back to 3-3.

Next game (ironically) was against Middlesbrough. Won 1-0 all worked out well.

I'm hoping the fans can start to play a part and get behind the boys cos they need us now

Traditionally we do tend to crank it up when our backs are against the wall but that was before we had the sense of entitlement crept in

Hopefully now the absolute shambles at board level might make some realise how good we've had it
im hoping the same frank were in a spot of bother on the pitch and more so off the pitch with the people running the club now more than ever our fans need to get behind the team vocally starting saturday the lane is far too quiet and reserved these days maybe because of the big lead we established but thats been whittled away now by boro we need to get behind the team from the off against watford

50 years of wobbles in promotion seasons.

Does this make you feel better, or worse?

A long way to go yet!!!

1970-71
27 Feb…Carlisle…A…0-1
9 Mar…HULL CITY…H…1-2
13 Mar…QPR…A…2-2…and we were 2-0 down.

P…3…W…0…D…1…L…2…leaving us outside the top two and having played a game more than Leicester and Cardiff.

1989-90
21 Mar…West Ham…A…0-5
24 Mar…BARNSLEY…H…1-2
…then we put on a Masterclass in a 2-0 win at Oldham, followed by a 1-0 win at Stoke…BUT then…
3 Apr…SUNDERLAND…H…1-2
7 Apr…Portsmouth…A…2-3

P…6…W…2…D…0…L…4…leaving us 2nd, with Newcastle and others hot on our tail. Then we had 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat (smashed 0-4 at Leeds) in the final 7 games.

2005-06
25 Feb…QPR…H…2-3
3 Mar…CREWE…0-0
11 Mar…Coventry…A…0-2
18 Mar…Norwich…A…1-2
...and this not long after losing 4-1 at home to promotion rivals Watford.

P…4…W…0…D…1…L…3…leaving us 2nd, 4 points ahead of Leeds and 6 ahead of Watford but having played a game more.

2018-19
No run-in blip here, the final 18 games were: P…11…D…6…L…1 (just a daft home defeat to Bristol City which left us 3rd). Winning 3-0 at Hull in game 44 (3 days after Leeds lost at home to Wigan) all but clinched it. Leeds lost 6 of their last 11 !!!

The blips were:
  • Losing the first 2 games of the season, being bottom of the league
  • An 8-game ‘wobble’ from Nov 3rd to Dec 22nd… P…8…W…2…D…3…L…3…managing three home games without a win (including Wednesday’s 0-0 win) and an away defeat at Forest
  • ...leaving us SIXTH, 9 points off Norwich and 7 points off Leeds
  • What a great finale though!!
Memries you just stirred em up, was at both those games,dont know which hurt most the trip and loss to Carlisle on a manky old coach or seeing Hull players kicking our players all over the shop.

1970-71
27 Feb…Carlisle…A…0-1
9 Mar…HULL CITY…H…1-2

Memries you just stirred em up, was at both those games,dont know which hurt most the trip and loss to Carlisle on a manky old coach or seeing Hull players kicking our players all over the shop.

1970-71
27 Feb…Carlisle…A…0-1
9 Mar…HULL CITY…H…1-2
that hull night game in 71 was brutal they booted us all over the lane that night none more so than future pig ken knighton most blades thought we had blown it that night

no doubt had wee beaten boro and millwaññ and we were 16 points clear some on here would still be expecting us to blow up
we were worth at least a draw in both games , boros keeper made several amazing saves and we were definitely worth at least a point at millwall

no doubt had wee beaten boro and millwaññ and we were 16 points clear some on here would still be expecting us to blow up
we were worth at least a draw in both games , boros keeper made several amazing saves and we were definitely worth at least a point at millwall
It's almost as if you have to score more than the opposition in football. Maybe they'll give us a couple of bonus points at the end of the season because we missed a few chances in these 2 games though 🤷‍♂️

It's almost as if you have to score more than the opposition in football. Maybe they'll give us a couple of bonus points at the end of the season because we missed a few chances in these 2 games though 🤷‍♂️b
Big difference in how you lose sometimes.....man City murdered getting some poor decisions against us and getting punished for every mistake forest 85 per cent possession attack v defence for 83 minutes 30 plus chances and come away with just 1 point. We are well in games competing

Big difference in how you lose sometimes.....man City murdered getting some poor decisions against us and getting punished for every mistake forest 85 per cent possession attack v defence for 83 minutes 30 plus chances and come away with just 1 point. We are well in games competing
After the first 10 minutes against Boro we got our arses handed to us.

For 25 mins in the 2nd half at Millwall we were the best team. They should have been out of sight by half time.

That's 35 mins out of 180 that we've played well. I don't see that as being a good way to lose 2 games of football.

Man City and Forest is irrelevant, although Forest got 1 more point than we managed in 2 games because they scored the same number of goals as their opposition.

Long way to go yet.
Deane’s og was in the 1-1 away draw but the parallels are the same lost 3-1 at home to a promotion rival then lost the next game away 2-3.
The next game after those 2 was Watford at home which we won 4-1…. Here’s hoping for Saturday

After the first 10 minutes against Boro we got our arses handed to us.

For 25 mins in the 2nd half at Millwall we were the best team. They should have been out of sight by half time.

That's 35 mins out of 180 that we've played well. I don't see that as being a good way to lose 2 games of football.

Man City and Forest is irrelevant, although Forest got 1 more point than we managed in 2 games because they scored the same number of goals as their opposition.
What bollocks we had more attempts than they did and their keeper had a blinder and the ref handed them the killer goal when we were on top

I'm very surprised 1983-4 hasn't come up.

After our defeats at home to Wimbledon on 5 May 1984 and at Bolton on 7 May 1984, our record and Hull's records looked like this:

Blades P45 W23 D11 L11 F84 A53 Pts 80
Hull P43 W22 D13 L8 F69 A37 Pts 79

Nobody thought we had a hope in hell.

We went up.

Back
Top Bottom