2 new rule changes that have increased our chance of promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
Don't believe this has been mentioned but the new rules for this season are going to really benefit us.

1: The new substitution rule
It used to be you could use a max of 3 substitutions from a selection of 5 players on the bench,
Remember when Warnock never had a goalie on the bench because he preferred to have a choice of 5 outfield players.

Now you can use a max of 5 substitutions from a selection of 7 players on the bench,

The new rule really benefits those clubs with the best squads/ bigger budgets, due to our parachute payments we have one of the best squad in the league.
In the past consistent players playing 90 mins were more important but now highly talented but inconsistent players have gained greater value.
Exciting talents players like N'Dieye, Khadra, Berge and McAtee can be freely subbed on and sub off dependent on how they are playing.
Heckingbottom last week said he likes the new rule because he can gamble more. He said in the past he might want to make a 3rd substitution but as it would be the final sub he would often choose to delay it just in case there was an on field injury and we didn't have cover. So there's more freedom regards in-play tactics.

2: The new foul threshold directive to referees
Football has noticed that some teams use gamesmanship deliberately attempting to draw contact, so they can go down for a foul.
This can win free-kicks in dangerous positions and can also break up play/ momentum so games become scrappy.

Last season we saw so many teams come to Bramall Lane with very negative tactics putting men behind the ball, then hope to score on the break,
When ever we built up a spell of pressure with the Kop in full voice you'd often see the opposition players constantly draw a foul and fall to the floor eventhough the contact was minimal. Any kind of contact was always deemed a foul.

However this season referees have been told to make a judgment based on the strength of contact.
Minimal or normal play challenges resulting in a player falling to the floor are now treated as part of the game and are no longer called as fouls.

This means when teams come to Bramall Lane this season and are under pressure. In order to take a breather to relief pressure,
opposition players can't keep going down for fouls, trying to stop our momentum and make it an untidy Steve Bruce style start/ stop game.

Last edited:

Don't believe this has been mentioned but the new rules for this season are going to really benefit us.

It used to be you could use a max of 3 substitutions from a selection of 5 players on the bench,
Remember when Warnock never had a goalie on the bench because he preferred to have a choice of 5 outfield players.

Now you can use a max of 5 substitutions from a selection of 7 players on the bench,

The new rule really benefits those clubs with the best squads/ bigger budgets, due to our parachute payments we have one of the best squad in the league.
In the past consistent players playing 90 mins were more important but now highly talented but inconsistent players have gained greater value.
Exciting talents players like N'Dieye, Khadra, Berge and McAtee can freely subbed on and sub off dependent on how they are playing.
Heckingbottom last week said he likes the new rule because he can gamble more. He said in the past he might want to make a 3rd substitution but would often choose to delay it just in case there was an on field injury and we didn't have cover. So there's more freedom regards in play tactics.

Football has noticed that some teams use gamesmanship deliberately attempting to draw contact, so they can go down for a foul.
This can win free-kicks in dangerous positions and can also break up play/ momentum so games become scrappy.

Last season we saw so many teams come to Bramall Lane with very negative tactics putting men behind the ball, then hope to score on the break,
When ever we built up a spell of pressure with the Kop in full voice you'd often see the opposition players constantly draw a foul and fall to the floor eventhough the contact was minimal. Any kind of contact was always deemed a foul.

However this season referees have been told to make a judgment based on the strength of contact.
Minimal or normal play challenges and a player falls to the floor are now treated as part of the game and are no longer called a fouls.

This means when teams come to Bramall Lane this season to relief pressure their players can't keep going down for fouls, trying to stop our momentum and make it an untidy start/ stop game.
Very thoughtful post - brought to life by the Blackburn Rovers left back who fell to the floor in their box in the 2nd half in front of the Kop.
No-one touched him, he rolled around for a bit like he’d been run over then sheepishly got to his feet when the ref played on.
Twats like him really piss me off.

Exciting talents players like N'Dieye, Khadra, Berge and McAtee can be freely subbed on and sub off dependent on how they are playing.
Heckingbottom last week said he likes the new rule because he can gamble more. He said in the past he might want to make a 3rd substitution but as it would be the final sub he would often choose to delay it just in case there was an on field injury and we didn't have cover. So there's more freedom regards in-play tactics.

Minimal or normal play challenges resulting in a player falling to the floor are now treated as part of the game and are no longer called as fouls.

This means when teams come to Bramall Lane this season and are under pressure. In order to take a breather to relief pressure,
opposition players can't keep going down for fouls, trying to stop our momentum and make it an untidy Steve Bruce style start/ stop game.
I think the first of these, is the bigger advantage as we have a few players in our team capable of "drawing a foul".

5 subs though is definately to the advantage of clubs with higher wage bills and deeper squads and at this level, we are on of those clubs. We'll be moaning like fuck about it next season if we do go up. "Fckn games gone, etc. etc.

First time I saw the use of tactical.diving was arsenal against us in the cup the other year
It really took the sting out of our play ,stopped us from getting into their faces and us from having any momentum

The sad thing is that referees have to be told not to give fouls when quite clearly they were never fouls in the first place

Just shows how fucking pathetic our referees are .tottaly incapable of making an Independent decision using experience and nouse ,have to be walked through wiping their arses

I’m actually glad that Lowe got a yellow for picking the ball up and taking it 20m away. I was also glad that the referee was consistent (with the help of Norwood) to book B-D when he did the same.
There should be a rule, as in handball, that after the referee has blown the opposition can’t touch the ball, or the free kick is moved forward 10 meters

Oh dear. Bad news for Billy then.

Totally agree. Glad you put it out there.

When we were the minnows in the Premier League we were dead against it for the reasons you’ve mentioned. But now, in the words of Papa Lazaru, “You’re my wife now!”

The only negative with the 5 sub rule is that inevitably it will lead to prolonged added time at the end of games….Fantastic for teams chasing something out of a game, however if you are clinging on and the opposition equalises…..then suddenly I can see a few hating this rule.

As far as the entertainment factor stands…. Fresh legs will lead to more energy in the second half, which will hopefully lead to better viewing…

I’m all for it

I've only noticed drinks during natural breaks in the game.

They bought mandatory drinks breaks in a few weeks ago, 1 min break at 22 and 67 mins. But think it's only if the temperature is above 30degs.

The only negative with the 5 sub rule is that inevitably it will lead to prolonged added time at the end of games….Fantastic for teams chasing something out of a game, however if you are clinging on and the opposition equalises…..then suddenly I can see a few hating this rule.

As far as the entertainment factor stands…. Fresh legs will lead to more energy in the second half, which will hopefully lead to better viewing…

I’m all for it
But they can only do it in 3 lots.
I agree swapping two players can be dragged out a bit longer than one, but it's not 5 separate stoppages.

But they can only do it in 3 lots.
I agree swapping two players can be dragged out a bit longer than one, but it's not 5 separate stoppages.

You can stop the game 3 times + make a half time change, so 4 opportunities to sub, one of which doesn't add time, which makes sense.

If like to see half time subs utilised better. There's a great opportunity to change tactics and hook 2 and still have 3 shit house time wasting opportunities in the bank. Just need to kill the idea that being hooked at half time = wank player.

Just on another ‘directive’ that was brought in a while back ….. the ref should only stop play for a head injury.

Totally ignored as the player goes down from a nothing challenge and the ref stops play - similarly with cramp.

It’s pointless bringing in rule changes and instructions to the refs if they are blatantly not competent enough to apply them. I’ve lost count how many times we’ve mentioned the 6 seconds rule with goalies.

Two rule things that made me chuckle yesterday.
Ref paced out and marked a free kick for us second half, but must have had a diddy man stride, as it was about half what it should be.
When our player complained, he just moved the ball back close to the touchline!

Then, I think Max Lowe got hit by a ball from their free kick, when he was about 3m away. That rule is bizarrely never enforced in certain positions, but he got a talking to for it.

Tell me this drinks breaks malarkey is not a new law. Can understand it on hot days but not every game surely.
There wasn’t a drinks break yesterday, just players having a drink whilst an injured player was attended to.
My experience tells me that hot days in Sheffield after October are not that common !

Two rule things that made me chuckle yesterday.
Ref paced out and marked a free kick for us second half, but must have had a diddy man stride, as it was about half what it should be.
When our player complained, he just moved the ball back close to the touchline!

Then, I think Max Lowe got hit by a ball from their free kick, when he was about 3m away. That rule is bizarrely never enforced in certain positions, but he got a talking to for it.

That talking too to Lowe was weird. Oppo players must be 10 yards from a free kick, but if the kicker decides to take it anyway with an infringement, then the ref can play advantage and continue. But he kicked it straight at Max, which is borderline insolence, which should have been met with a firm booking for the rovers player, IMO 🙂

If like to see half time subs utilised better. There's a great opportunity to change tactics and hook 2 and still have 3 shit house time wasting opportunities in the bank.

If the referees were doing their job, no substitution would be time wasting.

thought the referee versus Blackburn was excellent and demonstrated this to good effect. A few times their players went down and we almost stopped playing expecting a whistle.

thought the referee versus Blackburn was excellent and demonstrated this to good effect. A few times their players went down and we almost stopped playing expecting a whistle.

Agree.....I noticed that too and it's good to see, makes games flow better so they are a better spectacle to watch.

In the past few years (especially in the PL) when ever players feel contact they go down to win a free kick.
Atletico Madrid are the experts at this, they go 1-0 up against a good side in the Champions League then their main tactic is to waste time.
Their players deliberately try to draw fouls, then roll around on the floor like they've been shot. Matches become start, stop, start, stop.

The only issue with this new rule is the 2nd goal scored by Norwich against Millwall on Sky Friday night.
Their striker did a very physical shoulder barge on the Millwall player then he pushing past another player on another 50/50 type challenge.
As the Norwich player was stronger, both Millwall players ended up pushed to the floor.

Last season these were definitely given as fouls. However the ref applied the new rules, although it was a hard challenge it was just "normal" physical play.
He waved play on and Norwich striker went on to score their 2nd goal.

I suppose teams just need to get used to it...and lets hope there's a level of consistency from the refs.

I much prefer the second rule tbh. Diving at any tiny touch and exaggerating injury was getting out of hand and was frustrating and ridiculous. I noticed Blackburn did it a few times but the ref wasn't buying it.

Great OP, Sheffsteel. Rule number 2 has made a subtle but important impact to the modern game, starting to address an issue that should never have been allowed to grow to the way it has. Pundits in TV studios saying "he ought to have gone down there". Fucking nonsense, hate it.

Contrast that with the women's euros. Hardly a hint of simulation. Good, honest competition. The best teams winning the match on the day. Simple as. Integrity.

Long may rule number 2 continue to make a mockery of stupid tools.

The second one is a good idea in theory

But that foul on mcburnie where the ball got played over the top in the 1st half and he got rugby tackled to the ground was crazy

If that is now not a foul then where do you draw the line

When does a foul not become a foul

Five subs does make the game better. however, it means at least five min. injury time.

Five subs does make the game better. however, it means at least five min. injury time.
Not necessarily: there can only be three occasions when subs are brought on during playing time.

Great OP, Sheffsteel. Rule number 2 has made a subtle but important impact to the modern game, starting to address an issue that should never have been allowed to grow to the way it has. Pundits in TV studios saying "he ought to have gone down there". Fucking nonsense, hate it.

Contrast that with the women's euros. Hardly a hint of simulation. Good, honest competition. The best teams winning the match on the day. Simple as. Integrity.

Long may rule number 2 continue to make a mockery of stupid tools.
Pundits are a huge part as to why the diving and play acting got so bad. Like you pointed out saying players should have gone down, saying players had "won" a free kick by being "clever" all gives positive reinforcement that this is the way to play.

Pundits ought to call out diving and play acting, say it's shameful and get some media storm going against it. But they don't. Prime example at the weekend in the Birmingham vs Wigan match the Wigan defender gets sent off for "fouling" as the last man. In fairness to the ref in real-time it looks like a foul but replays show there is no contact and it is a clear dive but instead of calling it out Jobi McAnuff says that it's the ref's decision that's disgraceful!!

Absolutely does my head in. Call it out, make it shameful and embarrassing, put pressure on for retrospective bans and actually make a difference! Don't just allow it to happen and ignore it!

Back
Top Bottom