Low point of the season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
A lot to choose from, but for me it was Swindon's equaliser against us at Bramall Lane in January. Awful defending, all the players running towards the ball , meaning the Swindon player had a simple pass to his teammate leaving him clear on goal. Final confirmation that we weren't good enough to challenge for promotion. Someone on the forum amusingly called it the rubber duck formation.

The feeling things can only get better
WRONG they only got worse

A lot to choose from, but for me it was Swindon's equaliser against us at Bramall Lane in January. Awful defending, all the players running towards the ball , meaning the Swindon player had a simple pass to his teammate leaving him clear on goal. Final confirmation that we weren't good enough to challenge for promotion. Someone on the forum amusingly called it the rubber duck formation.
We did bring that equaliser on ourselves but as Adkins said in his match interview the Swindon wide player was off side and the goal should have been chalked off ,we would probably have won the game but I agree with the point you were making..

5 defining games for me;

1. Gillingham away - after all the pre season guff when it came down to 11 of ours and 11 of theirs we were lacking in every department. An awful day.

2. Burton away - a really odd game. Absolutely zero intent to try and "win a game of football"

3. Shrewsbury home - like watching a junior football team. Shocking

4. Burton home - absolutely woeful

5. Barnsley at home - despite shoots of recovery we never really went for it until it was too late. A victory could've given us a playoff place despite this fucking depressing season.

This season can never be repeated.

We did bring that equaliser on ourselves but as Adkins said in his match interview the Swindon wide player was off side and the goal should have been chalked off ,we would probably have won the game but I agree with the point you were making..
He made up excuse after excuse every time we lost. If linesman had have just done this, if the ref had have done that, if it'd been that bit lower that'd have gone in, if that grass had have been that bit less bobbly, if it had come off their players arse instead of his foot it might just have deflected in.

5 defining games for me;

1. Gillingham away - after all the pre season guff when it came down to 11 of ours and 11 of theirs we were lacking in every department. An awful day.

2. Burton away - a really odd game. Absolutely zero intent to try and "win a game of football"

3. Shrewsbury home - like watching a junior football team. Shocking

4. Burton home - absolutely woeful

5. Barnsley at home - despite shoots of recovery we never really went for it until it was too late. A victory could've given us a playoff place despite this fucking depressing season.

This season can never be repeated.
I agree with four out of five of your choices. I thought Burton away was a solid away performance against a team that will be in League One next year. Yes, perhaps with a bit more ambition we could have won it. My other low point would be Colchester at home, being outplayed by one of the worst teams in the League. I honestly thought Colchester would be going for the playoffs after that game. I hadn't fully realised it as a case of us being awful rather than Colchester being good.

The dawning realisation that we weren't signing anyone in the JTW and Jim's statement afterwards.

Up until then I was still clinging on to hope that a couple of signings could give us the boost we needed.

But we concentrated on cost cutting instead.

I would go with that.

As we watched every other club bolster their squad while we just sat on our hands cost cutting.

Then Jim's statement was the nail in the coffin for this season really.

From a selfish point of view, missing both of our goals against Southend at home to go for a piss and a pint.

Crewe away and Bury at home summed up this current team perfectly. Never felt so ashamed and disgusted with this club after those ones.

He made up excuse after excuse every time we lost. If linesman had have just done this, if the ref had have done that, if it'd been that bit lower that'd have gone in, if that grass had have been that bit less bobbly, if it had come off their players arse instead of his foot it might just have deflected in.
I'll say it for ya Barney SACK THE MANAGER

Colchester at home was pretty incredible. Seeing perennial relegation strugglers just walk at will through our generous midfield & central defensive areas suggested the recent purple patch was ... well, just a purple patch. Gillingham couldn't now really be written off as a blip & it was pretty clear we were prone to collapsing and caving in.

Even so, Gillingham was the lowest low point IMO (amazingly).

Plenty of candidates though sad to say, not least the Shrewsbury loss.

That's Tosser Adkins for you.

When he made McEveley Captain, I knew then he didn't know his arse from his elbow.....
PS.
But please don't sack him, every time they do that it gets worse !!!...:(

You people must have gone mental at Warnock's post match interviews, assuming you attended back then.

And that you aren't hypocrites.

The grass is always greener Pete, we'll just have to hope this season was just a blip but if he starts next season like he started this one he's on his bike.....

I can't decide between Shrewsbury and Burton at home.

Both games were worse than just bad performances. They revealed that our problems went beyond the ordinariness of our squad - they showed that something poisonous had taken hold and the whole bloody place needed fumigating.

This time next week I trust that not even the cockroaches will have survived the cleansing in that dressing room.

Barnsley at home for me. Despite a terrible season, we suddenly had a chance of the play offs, after everything had seemed over. Big crowd, fans really up for it, we just needed to beat Barnsley, but again the team let us down. We never turned up and our new found hope was soon gone.

Low points?

Those of you on here who moan and groan and whine and whinge about SUFC, anti manager, anti board, anti player..

Surely, you're all in your element when the club fails, when the manager makes mistakes, when players aren't up to your standard, and you can glorify in your ability to tell everyone, everyday, in every fuckin' thread, the same old regurgitated shit that you spew.

You love the Low Points.... it's what keeps you alive on a football message board.

Fuck knows what you're like in reality, Thank Christ I won't have to meet you.

It sounded different when WHF reported it Barney !

It was probably a pint of "Old Golden Hen", which is made by the "Old Speckled Hen" people. It was the last one in the barrel, could tell as soon as I tasted it.

That was probably my low pint of the season.

Back
Top Bottom