Higdon today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mancblade1889

Reaction score
Really think it's time we considered offloading him. Really think he is a waste of a wage and offers very little in and around penalty area. Granted he's able to hold the ball up but needs another forward to play off of him. Also think he makes us play to direct at times. The easy option for our defenders and keeper to try and lump it
Forward today especially first 25 mins today. We played out from the back after he was substituted. The substitution should have come a good 15 minutes before it did everybody in the ground knew it was only a matter of
Time before he got himself sent off with
The very poor ref.

Really think it's time we considered offloading him. Really think he is a waste of a wage and offers very little in and around penalty area. Granted he's able to hold the ball up but needs another forward to play off of him. Also think he makes us play to direct at times. The easy option for our defenders and keeper to try and lump it
Forward today especially first 25 mins today. We played out from the back after he was substituted. The substitution should have come a good 15 minutes before it did everybody in the ground knew it was only a matter of
Time before he got himself sent off with
The very poor ref.
no idea why he gas been nicknamed hippo because they can manage 19 mph ,not seen one play football but I can imagine they can trap a ball and distribute it better than him :mad:

Cooke wants him at Ches Vegas.

Clough wants Doyle.

FFS get it done. I know precious little about Doyle. But FFS get it done and offload the twat.

As bad a signing as UTD have made in at least a decade. Remarkable he has managed thus far to forge any sort of career as a pro footballer. Gobsmacked that NC has signed this complete waste of space.

You were warned (at the beginning of August btw) ;)

UTB

It just hasn't worked out, has it ?

If we can get a decent replacement in, his days are numbered. Maybe wait till the summer though.

I agree with this. It just hasn't worked out for him. I think there is a decent player hiding within Higdon.

I do recall many fans saying the same about murphy and Flynn when they first signed. Unfortunately for Higdon though time isn't on his side and I feel we have better options.

I don't think our style of play suits his lazy sort of game what so ever. Never once has he looked match fit and he hasn't improved in the slightest. In addition to this it really frustrates me how clumbersome he is and how many stupid fouls he gives away.

Looking at Clough's other signings I really don't get the Higdon signing, he is the opposite of pretty much everything that we are trying to do.

We need a big strong striker as an option. If we can't get two strikers in, then for my money, he stays until summer.

We need a big strong striker as an option. If we can't get two strikers in, then for my money, he stays until summer.
Why ?
Where is it written that you need a " big strong striker" as an option ?

This is a legacy of bygone times when conventional thinking was that this is in fact so.

There is hardly a top league with the top sides in Europe that play this way any more. Lumping balls forward to a big un hoping that some of it might stick.

It's bollocks, complete and utter bollocks.

Football has evolved. Under Nigel Clough, so are we ( and about fucking time too)

Viva la revolution :)

UTB

Really DON'T LIKE saying this about anyone wearing the red and white, however bad a trot they're having, but today really showcased so much that is wrong with his game. Yes, the idiot ref was partly to blame for him being withdrawn early, but jeez ....

As well as his technical deficiencies, clumsiness and mobility issues (some of which would surely be improved if he got back to the lean condition he was in, in Holland), this aft he didn't seem to have a football brain in his head. Not just in respect of the ridiculous, unnecessary fouls he kept giving away, but also in his complete refusal to bloody move when necessary to, eg, close down their keeper or back 4. Let alone make attacking runs. Defending from the front ?? He just stands there ! And Nige did his nut at him over this on at least a couple of occasions before he took him off. I think Deadbat's "2" rating in the other thread is harsh, but not that harsh.

No pleasure at all in saying this, but he looks increasingly to me like the bastard love-child of Billy Paynter and a third-rate Darius Henderson. Sorry !

Would we have scored those goals today with Higgo, rather than Murph, playing central ?

Why ?

This is a legacy of bygone times when conventional thinking was that this is in fact so.

There is hardly a top league with the top sides in Europe that play this way any more. Lumping balls forward to a big un hoping that some of it might stick.

Football has evolved. Under Nigel Clough, so are we ( and about fucking time too)

UTB

I am not saying Higdon the best option... but. We not in a top side of Europe, we in the third tier of English football, and I have seen in a recent game against a side from the "best league in the world" that having a player hold up the ball helped. How many times have I read "we're too good for this division" but can't beat inferior side.

But, I have to add, I wasn't at the match today, I was driving a rubbish van about in the sleet, so stand to be corrected.

I am not saying Higdon the best option... but. We not in a top side of Europe, we in the third tier of English football, and I have seen in a recent game against a side from the "best league in the world" that having a player hold up the ball helped. How many times have I read "we're too good for this division" but can't beat inferior side.
Exactly my point.

Even in L1, it is the FOOTBALLING sides who are doing the best.

Old school thinking is that you have to kick and punch your way out of this league. You don't.

IMHO.

Not saying for one moment that strength, speed stamina etc. etc. are not all vital parts of any squad in any league in the world.

I will happily concede that my footballing "principles" are nearer to those of Wenger than Allardycye.

Doesn't mean big Sam is wrong btw. BUT even he has had a change of heart in last few years.

There are others ( Holloway springs to mind) who have had to roll with the times.

There are FAR TOO MANY blades fans that advocate this up and at em football.

IMHO.

UTB

Why ?

UTB

The Spurs game was a nice example why. Lumping it forward isn't compulsory...

to say top clubs don't use big centre forwards anymore isn't exactly correct. Carrol, Ibrahimavic to name two. I agree they seem, to be a dyeing breed, but some clubs still use them and at the top levels.

The Spurs game was a nice example why. Lumping it forward isn't compulsory...
Would you regard Baxter as a big strong striker ?

Did Baxter spearhead one of the most exciting, successful and frankly unexpected run of games at the back end of last year ?

It's low percentage football, wether it's lumped forward or otherwise. IMHO.

If your example of Higdon, as a success, is the Spurs game, then we are frankly poles apart in our opinions.

Maybe best leave it at that.

UTB

I agree with this. It just hasn't worked out for him. I think there is a decent player hiding within Higdon.

I do recall many fans saying the same about murphy and Flynn when they first signed. Unfortunately for Higdon though time isn't on his side and I feel we have better options.

Higdon can and will score goals , but seemingly not with the Blades.

Chesterfield do rate him , and Higdon could be used in a player plus cash deal for Doyle . If it came off then great business.

Only thing is , fate as a tendency to bite us in the arse , which knowing our luck , it could happen in the lat match of the season on 3rd May with Higdon in a blue shirt.

UTB

to say top clubs don't use big centre forwards anymore isn't exactly correct. Carrol, Ibrahimavic to name two. I agree they seem, to be a dyeing breed, but some clubs still use them and at the top levels.
Agree.

And in Carolls case, he is perhaps the best in Europe at attacking the ball in the air. Exceptional in this regard.

Ibras CV would suggest he is somewhat more than the stereotypical target man. So not the greatest example for you to use IMHO.

UTB

I

I am sorry I am a old blade and I agree you would never keith edwards and billy dearden big strong strikers but they knew where the goal was , (you could include agana in this) ;)

Agree.

And in Carolls case, he is perhaps the best in Europe at attacking the ball in the air. Exceptional in this regard.

Ibras CV would suggest he is somewhat more than the stereotypical target man. So not the greatest example for you to use IMHO.

UTB
I didn't say target man I said big/strong centre forwards. But my point was, he's a big guy, even though he seems to give everything every game he isn't the most mobile either.

Ibra is a quality player, and has more attributes than just a target man. But if your teams 1-0 down and you're applying quick pressure and long balls into the box. I know a player like ibra, "a big strong centre forward" is certainly needed to either hold the ball or gat a knock on. Not to mention maybe even finishing the chance. If we didn't have higdon the only other option would be Baxter, and I cant see that working.

Would you regard Baxter as a big strong striker ?

Did Baxter spearhead one of the most exciting, successful and frankly unexpected run of games at the back end of last year ?

It's low percentage football, wether it's lumped forward or otherwise. IMHO.

If your example of Higdon, as a success, is the Spurs game, then we are frankly poles apart in our opinions.

Maybe best leave it at that.

UTB

Yup I'll leave it that, but only because you're projecting opinions on me I don't hold.

NC obviously prefers to play a certain way - but he's not one-dimensional and is prepared to try alternatives.

That said Higdon didn't even seem to win any of the ball when it was lumped up to him.

Thought the first booking was deserved - the ref had given him two chances, and warned him about the third.

Very good management by Clough to take him off, and not wait for half time. Next time he went near a player in Evening Lavender, or whatever colour it was they were wearing, they'd've flung themselves melodramatically to the floor - and off he goes. More the ref's fault than anything.

Hippopotamus+the+most+dangerous+animalin+Africa.jpg

It's not the style of football I want to see, I'm much more of a Wenger than an Allardyce... but I am sure there are games that Arsenal could have had more points if they had an alternative when they struggling to break down a defence that nullify attack. Not every game. Perhaps not most games. But some. So let's not be too harsh. Though I wasn't there today.

NC obviously prefers to play a certain way - but he's not one-dimensional and is prepared to try alternatives.

That said Higdon didn't even seem to win any of the ball when it was lumped up to him.

Thought the first booking was deserved - the ref had given him two chances, and warned him about the third.

Very good management by Clough to take him off, and not wait for half time. Next time he went near a player in Evening Lavender, or whatever colour it was they were wearing, they'd've flung themselves melodramatically to the floor - and off he goes. More the ref's fault than anything.

Hippopotamus+the+most+dangerous+animalin+Africa.jpg
my moneys on the hippo especially if that was higdon he was chasing :D

He's the current scapegoat, like Monty used to be, then Doyle

That's not saying he's deserving of a place in the starting 11 - not at all. But he offers something different if it's not working for us and we need to shake things up. He can hold up play, draw defenders away from the ball, and cause problems in the box, as shown v Preston.

I'd like to see him as an option off the bench this season unless we get a couple more strikers in. Saying that, I wasn't at the game today and can't comment on how he did.

Back
Top Bottom