Heartbreaking moment of the season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jimmy23

Reaction score
To carry on the trend, let's have a heartbreaking moment of the season. Manchester United's final min penalty after Hammond (blood boils when I type his name) puts in a stupid tackle.

Any more?

To carry on the trend, let's have a heartbreaking moment of the season. Manchester United's final min penalty after Hammond (blood boils when I type his name) puts in a stupid tackle.

Any more?

Driving back from Gillingham with the head saying that performance is going to set the benchmark for the season , and the heart saying it can't be. Heartbreaking that the head was right.

UTB

Sheffield United 1-3 Bury
Sheffield United 2-3 Colchester United

It appeared we'd recovered from the first day tonking at Gillingham with four league wins on the spin, 12 points from the first 15 available. Things looked promising with two home games in a row and the real possibility of 18 points after 7 games. And then we showed that we just weren't that good. I remember coming out of the Colchester match knowing deep down that this season was going to be a write off.

Bury 1-0 Sheffield United

Two mentions for Bury; the performance at Gigg Lane was - without a doubt - one of the three worst I've witnessed in my time watching United. Along with Scunthorpe (a) in our Championship relegation season and our 0-5 capitulation at home to Oldham back in 1988, they were the worst I've seen. We were THAT bad. Heartbreaking to see United perform that badly when a good 1500 had made the effort in the driving rain and dreadful traffic yet the players did not appear bothered in the slightest.

Maybe not as dramatic, but Billy Sharps failed 'lob' at Southend followed by their third, knew the 'dream' was over that night..

Really though it was when my heart was broken as for the first time in years I decided not to take the chance of seeing United when I could. I just couldn't face the trial of the journey, the cost, whats on offer and the inevitable result based on what has happened to my club. Instead, I went to watch Dover play at the brilliantly named The Crabble and whilst having no passion and edge could focus on the game, players trying and not being paid the earth. Plus I could stand up and enjoy the hospitality of 'The Centre Spot', the excellent Crabble burger at £4.80 and a pint. Not the same as United, but my heart has been ( temporarily) broken by this season.

Roll on next season... And a make up with my first love!

Last edited:

Any more?

It has to be Mustardgate at Chesterfield, we never found out who unscrewed the tops

Losing at home to Burton and seeing Clough walking away with three points. The thought that Clough, having been sacked by the Blades was now heading to the Championship, while we were staying in Leauge One, was hard to stomach. He must really have enjoyed the thought of putting one over on us. What was even worse was the way we performed on the night, we just never turned up and handed the points to Burton on a plate. It was typical of a lot of the home games, with the players lacking any fight or passion, despite the fans desperation for a result.

Losing without a whimper at fuckin Port Vale again. A display which showed we had not made any progress.

Somehow failing to beat Gillingham at the Lane after having enough chances to win several games. That sealed it really.

The season isn't over yet, but if the scum win the play offs I'll be absolutely devastated. It's bad enough being as shit as we are, without those twats lauding it over us from two divisions above; the shit faced bastards.

Sammons goal in that Cup game against us! :(

Mind you....I guess it shows the level he's about capable of! :)

Not attending games this season simply because I didn't want to go. Honestly felt (and still feels) like being involved in a break up. Nothing but feelings of anger and sadness about something I have loved for as long as I can remember.

I have never felt as low and hopeless about United as I have this season. Its been truly horrible

The absolutely heartbreaking moment after we lost an early home game, and we lost a true and dedicated supporter in Barney and the feelings of jealously and envy as he is admired and respected by one and all, for taking such a selfless stance, and the harsh feelings of being adequate after he rightfully and gleefully tells us all, i told you so after each and every occasion we drop points.

Can't really break a heart that's already been beaten up and trampled on so many times. Gillingham first game up was probably the lowest point, as it was an ominous scene-setter for how the season would probably pan out (and has done subsequently).

Putting 20 quid on sharp to score next at southend to see him lob it over the bar with the goal at his mercy

Every single time I've looked away from the pitch because I've been so bored at what I was witnessing, only to gaze upon the array of empty seats around me which were once full of loud, proud Blades singing their hearts out.

Hearing the volume of cheers for the teamsheet read-out decrease every week.

Getting the impression that many of the players I was watching didn't give a shit about playing for this club.

Connor Sammon.

Hate to say it, because I know I always seem to mention him, but seeing poor old Terry Kennedy get sent on to the pitch, Port Vale away, we were already 2-0 down as Vale simply over ran us in midfield (ours was non-existent) and battered their way through our powder puff defence, Ikpeazu in particular knocking Edgar around like he was a rag doll.

Adkins sends on Matt Done, for some much needed pace, and brave TK to stop the rot at the back.

Ikpeazu (who is built like a 6ft 3 tank), starts as he means to go on, runs straight into Tel, crashing him to the deck, TK just gets up and gives him the sort of stare that (if you were in a pub) meant you were about to get chinned. Kennedy steams in to Ikpeazu a couple of times and the big lad didn't really want to know after that, preferring long range shots rather than close range contact with TK.

Outcome? no more goals from Port Vale and a consolation goal for Matt Done.

Heartbreaking because here we have a lad who has had a tough life, and life keeps dealing him tough breaks. Not a fancy-dan type, an old fashioned defender in the style of Chris Morgan, clear the ball at all costs, no matter the threat to your own body. Just wants to play for Sheffield United, yet his medical issues mean that players with less talent, commitment and passion are ahead of him.

Kennedy and Billy Sharp sum up what it should mean to wear the shirt.

Shrewsbury at home, first half. Embarrassing. If the alarm bells weren't ringing before that 45, then they were deafening by the end. Anything bad that came after that, especially after the JTW, was expected.

Can't really break a heart that's already been beaten up and trampled on so many times. Gillingham first game up was probably the lowest point, as it was an ominous scene-setter for how the season would probably pan out (and has done subsequently).

The beaten & trampled moment for me was many years ago, the Wigan game. Since then, there have been a series of disappointments, some of them bitter. But all a bit "meh" compared to how I felt after that game.

Waking up boxing day to see the weather and knowing I'd now need to take time off work to watch the Wigan away game

The beaten & trampled moment for me was many years ago, the Wigan game. Since then, there have been a series of disappointments, some of them bitter. But all a bit "meh" compared to how I felt after that game.

Unfortunately remember the game well. What's vivid was the crushing timing of the penalty for them just before half time, and the almost funeral atmosphere as people made their way into the stands hearing that Wham were 1-0 up at Old Trafford. You just knew how it was going to turn out, even with 45 minutes to play.

Back
Top Bottom