Six of the Bizarre - The most bizarre performances I have seen at The Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And me. Only just woke up!

Main memory is of Steve Bruce setting up Walker for our 4th. About half of the players that day would play for both clubs.

My Dad's first ever game that. Before that I'd always gone with a mate and his dad.
We both got season tickets the following season and still there now.

What about the infamous 0-2 defeat at home to Birmingham in October 1987? We had Birmingham's Roger Hansbury on loan to us in goal, Birmingham had United's Peter Withe on loan up front. He scored two goals in his one and only decent performance at Bramall Lane and celebrated in front of the Kop. We also had Martin Kuhl playing for us and they had Steve Wigley playing for them; the two had swapped clubs that summer. We had been on a decent run up until that game but went on to get relegated.

What about the infamous 0-2 defeat at home to Birmingham in October 1987? We had Birmingham's Roger Hansbury on loan to us in goal, Birmingham had United's Peter Withe on loan up front. He scored two goals in his one and only decent performance at Bramall Lane and celebrated in front of the Kop. We also had Martin Kuhl playing for us and they had Steve Wigley playing for them; the two had swapped clubs that summer. We had been on a decent run up until that game but went on to get relegated.
Adding to the bizzareness, if Withe hadn't got those goals and the game had finished 0-0, Birmingham would have gone down and United would have stayed up!

Adding to the bizzareness, if Withe hadn't got those goals and the game had finished 0-0, Birmingham would have gone down and United would have stayed up!
I didn't know that! I remember us playing Reading a few weeks later. Withe played for us, was booed by the United fans and scored. Interviewed on Radio Sheffield afterwards he said he could understand why the United fans booed. He had been expecting to move to Birmingham but "it's a fanny old game, as a certain Mr Greaves says".

Luton 3 sheffield united 6
Notts forest 2 sheffield united 5
Sheffield united 5 Brighton 4.
Sheffield united v West Brom match abandoned.
Sheffield united 7 Northampton 3
Arsenal v sheffield united , fa cup match which had to be replayed after arsenal admitted cheating .
Portsmouth v sheffield united, the scenes were unreal, a blades fan ran on the pitch and knocked the linesman out and he ended up doing jail. Such a long delay and rumour was it was going to be called off.
Sheffield united 6 Chester City 0, a hatrick for deane and a hatrick for agana in same match .
I could also throw in sheffield united 1 udinese 2, Anglo Italian cup and the sendings off and their cheating
I was at Forest for that match. We’d gone with some Forest fans who were licking their lips as they thought we were going to get a pummelling. Couldn’t get away tickets and as I live in Nottingham I could get tickets so sat as close as we could to the away fans . Great match, some great goals too.
Sat in the back of the car smirking……

Luton 3 sheffield united 6
Notts forest 2 sheffield united 5
Sheffield united 5 Brighton 4.
Sheffield united v West Brom match abandoned.
Sheffield united 7 Northampton 3
Arsenal v sheffield united , fa cup match which had to be replayed after arsenal admitted cheating .
Portsmouth v sheffield united, the scenes were unreal, a blades fan ran on the pitch and knocked the linesman out and he ended up doing jail. Such a long delay and rumour was it was going to be called off.
Sheffield united 6 Chester City 0, a hatrick for deane and a hatrick for agana in same match .
I could also throw in sheffield united 1 udinese 2, Anglo Italian cup and the sendings off and their cheating
Was at all them to 👍 good memories ⚔️

I will never forget the delight on Withe’s face as he wheeled away after scoring the first. Horrible night.

Didn’t Steve Wigley cross the ball for his header as well and he came over clenching his fist in front of the kop … wanker

Cardiff City home 2003/04 season, 0-0 h/t 5-3 90 mins winning then losing winning again strange game
Remember it well - we hadn’t finished singing the GCB when Rob Earnshaw slotted one in at the Bramall Lane end to put them 1-0 up.

Didn't mind Peter withe .
He was shit and old and not mobile but he knew where the goal was .
I remember Portsmouth away .
Blades had just won at Oldham week before 5-1 , Oldham were top of the league and boyyyy did we blades celebrate in the ground.
Week after another away game at the now top of the league PORTSMOUTH.
Pompey home record was
Won 7
Drew 0
Lost 0
Goals for = 18
Goals against = 0

We went there in our thousands and won 3-0
If my memory holds well
Peter withe and 2 Steve foley Goals.
It was eventful outside after down the alley

Only counting games I’ve attended, and weirdly enough it’s taken me about 30 seconds to come up with 6. The teams in bold in each selection are the team that gave the bizarre performance. In no particular order:

1 United 4-4 Exeter (2011/12)

I vaguely remember that was the season where Exeter survived on the last day, whereas we were flying high up until match day 43/44. Going into it we expected goals, maybe even a hat trick for our newly found cult hero Matty Phillips who couldn’t stop shaking the back of the onion bag around this time…turns out Exeter had other ideas. Went 2-0 up, then came back and made us look like mugs by the end of the 90. Don’t think anyone in the ground saw it coming.

2 United 2-2 Brentford (2012/13)
The ‘fake’ battle of Bramall Lane - 3 reds, 4 pens (2 missed) and a game where both teams had soo many chances to capitalise on but didn’t. We needed to win to flirt with the top 2 after Chris Morgan was given the green light to take us to the end of the season as this was an April match. Didn’t happen in the end, I felt very mentally drained after this one with a touch of disappointment.

3 United 3-3 Blackpool (2022/23)
Similar to no 2, think there were 4 reds and 1 pen this time. However this was an October clash which again I expected us to win quite comfortably, even more so after Mcatee and Ndaiye put us 2-0. Then 2-2, then 2-3? And to be honest I thought It’d stay that way after Brewster missed that penalty. But all in all Blackpool came with a plan and it worked.

4 United 4-5 Fulham (2017/18)
Another game where I felt mentally drained after coming out of the ground. I’d felt like Dynamo had visited me and cursed me with sudden memory loss as I couldn’t even remember where I had parked the car as I was confused as to what I’d just witnessed. Went a goal up, then they came and swarmed us with a bit of Ryan Sessegon who scored 3. By the 65th min it was 5-2 and game over, but then we’d scored 2 and I believe we had about 5 mins to find an equaliser but couldn’t. Leon scoring his second Hatrick in consecutive games.

5 United A-A West Brom (2001/02)
THAT game, the first ever English professional game to be abandoned due to lack of players. The original battle of Bramall lane. What on earth happened here? Enough said

6 United 2-3 Oldham (2011/12)
Another one from the 11/12 season. March, sunshine, easy three points for us and 2-0 up at half time with Lowton and Evans on the scoresheet. Beautiful time to be alive, got a call from Haybrook saying my offer had been accepted on a first house! Everything was going absolutely swimmingly!! Loving every——…?????…
….By the 65th min, it was 2-2 and Harry Maguire got sent off. Kuqi scored a last min penalty and the relegation strugglers completed a very bizarre turnaround. I take my hat off to their performance as it should have been more than 3.
Walsall 4 Blades 4
Blades 5 Brighton 4
Blades 7 Northampton 4
Mansfield 3 Blades 4
Blades 3 Pigs 2 (King Tudor winner)
Blades 7 Ipswich 0

Walsall 4 Blades 4
Blades 5 Brighton 4
Blades 7 Northampton 4
Mansfield 3 Blades 4
Blades 3 Pigs 2 (King Tudor winner)
Blades 7 Ipswich 0
Blades 7 Ipswich 0
Was the 1st blades game I ever attended very early 70s .
My grandad who cycled to bramall lane from Kiveton every home game and my dad from Kiveton took me and took me everywhere after as I was called the lucky mascot.

Can't remember that.
Sure it was … pair of cunts .. in fairness Wigley scored one of the best goals I’ve seen from a Bladrs player in my time the season before against Blackburn ( 85/66 ) Porterfields dads army season , think it ended 3-3 .. just remember a Blackburn fan who’d had one a two sherberts jump up giving it out large .. in the South Stand G .. I think he may have had grounds to recourse his decision on that choice ?

Last edited:
I think the most bizarre game I've attended was the 1-0 win v Portsmouth in 1986. They had 3 players sent off and we had Beagrie sent off so it was 10 v 8 for quite a long period. We were rubbish but obviously with a 2 man advantage just uninspiringly attacked. It would have probably ended 0-0, however Wigley tried a speculative shot that hit Paul Mariner (playing CB for Portsmouth that day) on the foot and it looped up and over their keeper for a bizarre own goal.

Blades had just won at Oldham week before 5-1 , Oldham were top of the league and boyyyy did we blades celebrate in the ground.
Pompey home record was
Won 7
Drew 0
Lost 0
Goals for = 18
Goals against = 0

If my memory holds well
Went to that game as a 15 year old. Not so sure we took thousands mate, reckon it was more like 1500 on that away end.

It was the 2nd half live commentary on the National rado.

My dad had taped it and I insisted on listening to it when I got in at about 10pm that night

I think the most bizarre game I've attended was the 1-0 win v Portsmouth in 1986. They had 3 players sent off and we had Beagrie sent off so it was 10 v 8 for quite a long period. We were rubbish but obviously with a 2 man advantage just uninspiringly attacked. It would have probably ended 0-0, however Wigley tried a speculative shot that hit Paul Mariner (playing CB for Portsmouth that day) on the foot and it looped up and over their keeper for a bizarre own goal.
I remember under Bassett laying Portsmouth and we got two very late penalties that Peter Duffield slammed in.

My God he was a great penalty taker. Top corner jobs. Never missed for us.

Pompey home record was
Won 7
Drew 0
Lost 0
Goals for = 18
Goals against = 0

If my memory holds well
We were referred to as a dads army team

I remember under Bassett laying Portsmouth and we got two very late penalties that Peter Duffield slammed in.

My God he was a great penalty taker. Top corner jobs. Never missed for us.
Never missed in reserves and junior matches too.

Pompey home record was
Won 7
Drew 0
Lost 0
Goals for = 18
Goals against = 0

If my memory holds well
Yeh it was a lively old day & we stopped at Rugby on the way back & it kicked off there too . We played some good stuff that season up to Xmas , remember beating Bradford 4-1 at Elland Rd to . After Xmas I think the old man’s club legs went & we just slipped away

Only counting games I’ve attended, and weirdly enough it’s taken me about 30 seconds to come up with 6. The teams in bold in each selection are the team that gave the bizarre performance. In no particular order:

I vaguely remember that was the season where Exeter survived on the last day, whereas we were flying high up until match day 43/44. Going into it we expected goals, maybe even a hat trick for our newly found cult hero Matty Phillips who couldn’t stop shaking the back of the onion bag around this time…turns out Exeter had other ideas. Went 2-0 up, then came back and made us look like mugs by the end of the 90. Don’t think anyone in the ground saw it coming.

2 United 2-2 Brentford (2012/13)
The ‘fake’ battle of Bramall Lane - 3 reds, 4 pens (2 missed) and a game where both teams had soo many chances to capitalise on but didn’t. We needed to win to flirt with the top 2 after Chris Morgan was given the green light to take us to the end of the season as this was an April match. Didn’t happen in the end, I felt very mentally drained after this one with a touch of disappointment.

3 United 3-3 Blackpool (2022/23)
Similar to no 2, think there were 4 reds and 1 pen this time. However this was an October clash which again I expected us to win quite comfortably, even more so after Mcatee and Ndaiye put us 2-0. Then 2-2, then 2-3? And to be honest I thought It’d stay that way after Brewster missed that penalty. But all in all Blackpool came with a plan and it worked.

4 United 4-5 Fulham (2017/18)
Another game where I felt mentally drained after coming out of the ground. I’d felt like Dynamo had visited me and cursed me with sudden memory loss as I couldn’t even remember where I had parked the car as I was confused as to what I’d just witnessed. Went a goal up, then they came and swarmed us with a bit of Ryan Sessegon who scored 3. By the 65th min it was 5-2 and game over, but then we’d scored 2 and I believe we had about 5 mins to find an equaliser but couldn’t. Leon scoring his second Hatrick in consecutive games.

5 United A-A West Brom (2001/02)
THAT game, the first ever English professional game to be abandoned due to lack of players. The original battle of Bramall lane. What on earth happened here? Enough said

6 United 2-3 Oldham (2011/12)
Another one from the 11/12 season. March, sunshine, easy three points for us and 2-0 up at half time with Lowton and Evans on the scoresheet. Beautiful time to be alive, got a call from Haybrook saying my offer had been accepted on a first house! Everything was going absolutely swimmingly!! Loving every——…?????…
….By the 65th min, it was 2-2 and Harry Maguire got sent off. Kuqi scored a last min penalty and the relegation strugglers completed a very bizarre turnaround. I take my hat off to their performance as it should have been more than 3.
There are some cracking games there.

The Brentford one and the Fulham one probably the most extraordinary ones I've attended. I missed the west brom game.

Both teams collapsing at the end of the Fulham game showed the committment of all the players. Some great goals in that game

Exeter didn't stay up that season.

We played them away last game of the season but they had already been relegated a couple of weeks earlier.

One of the most bizarre games was the west ham game in 1989? We had something like 29 corners and lost 0-2 to two Mark Ward goals.
Was going to mention this game myself, think it was 28 corners and mark wanky ward said after the game he could never play for a team that plays like us.

I was at Forest for that match. We’d gone with some Forest fans who were licking their lips as they thought we were going to get a pummelling. Couldn’t get away tickets and as I live in Nottingham I could get tickets so sat as close as we could to the away fans . Great match, some great goals too.
Sat in the back of the car smirking……
Think Mike Lake scored some crackers that season.

Back
Top Bottom