Harrison McGahey

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Plenty wrote George Long off previously & didn't see a hope in hell of him developing into the player he is now.

If Saturday's showing is anything to go by, Harrison is coming along nicely. He seemed to be overflowing with confidence (which is not something I'd ever thought I'd say of him).

Still needs to become more dominant though. Especially in the air. But we are seeing signs of genuine progression, however belatedly. Certainly worth another contract as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own but for me, Harry was our best defender from the age of 18 when he broke into the team just before we got relegated. He did make the odd mistake and lack of pace was an issue but he dominated everything in the air. I’d say Maguire was better at 18 than McGahey is now at 20 so I think it’s very unlikely (but not impossible) that McGahey will be as good as or better than Maguire.
He's our best young prospect in defence at the moment. Would have loved Terry Kennedy as our fearless young leader at the back but sadly his injury has put paid to that.

McGahey has done well last 2 and a bit games and was harshly dropped on Saturday - he was one of better ones at Southend. Still he has not done enough over 2 years to get a new contract. We have had a dire defence and he has struggled to get into it. I will temper any praise for likes of him, Basham, Flynn, McEveley have had some utterly awful performances. Over the course of last 2/3 years the bulk of this side/squad have not been good enough. Nowhere near (if you look at how far we have been off the top last 3 seasons)

The Maguire comparison is ridiculous. Harry was better at 18 than McGahey is now and he had played 100 odd games by time he was 20. Not to say McGahey wont develop and will not make it but I am not convinced. Maguire was (and still is - wont ever make top Prem players due to lack of pace/mobility) a great reader of the game, could sense danger and was a far superior footballer. He was composed on the ball and could control it and pick a pass. McGahey has done ok last few games in this regard but overall he has looked jittery on the ball and unsure positionally or to sense danger. Maguire also was better in the air and more determined. McGahey might get a vastly reduced 1 year contract offer but like with Kennedy and many more; I think will be moved on. It was a signing that we gambled on but he was seen as real talent from Blackpool but in a piss poor division he has barely improved in 2 years.

Agree with all of this.

He plays in a position where opportunity has been plentiful. His wages were probably cheap so wasn't a bad gamble but not one that's paid off. If Adkins thinks that he'd make okay cover then I wouldn't object to keeping him another season as a cheaper squad member than others we could retain, but even that's pushing it.

Just add him to the "goodbye and good luck" pile and make a little bit more space for Adkins to build his own squad.

He's our best young prospect in defence at the moment. Would have loved Terry Kennedy as our fearless young leader at the back but sadly his injury has put paid to that.

I personally think Kieron Wallace is more promising. Agree about Tel though. A promising player ruined by injury.

I personally think Kieron Wallace is more promising. Agree about Tel though. A promising player ruined by injury.
Kieran Wallace, I'd play him as a winger/ left sided midfielder. Putting Chè initially out on the left spoiled it for this kid Wallace. He would have been first choice by now down the left side.

Kieran Wallace, I'd play him as a winger/ left sided midfielder. Putting Chè initially out on the left spoiled it for this kid Wallace. He would have been first choice by now down the left side.

Left back for me. Has a nice balance of defensive and attacking attributes. Reasonably solid yet able to overlap.

Left back for me. Has a nice balance of defensive and attacking attributes. Reasonably solid yet able to overlap.

I think this thread dovetails with the Adkins must stay one.

It looks to me like he judges that with the right raw materials he has confidence that he and his team can shape young players into good professional footballers.

I think this thread dovetails with the Adkins must stay one.

It looks to me like he judges that with the right raw materials he has confidence that he and his team can shape young players into good professional footballers.
Let me find another thread then.

Signed for Rochdale. 2 year deal. Could be the fresh start the lad needs. Decent manager in Hill and they seem like a stable club without big expectation.

Good move . Before anybody else's says it . Watch when we play Rochdale , that lad is the CB we have been looking for 3 seasons . Sod's law .

UTB

Good luck to him. We'll see what difference a run of first team football will make for him.

Nice lad, met him in town and he was very polite and friendly. All the best to him.

Personally thought he was the best player on the pitch today...best I've seen him at the Lane.

Worries me that we do have talent but we aren't getting the best out of them for whatever reason. Today we looked a shambles

Personally thought he was the best player on the pitch today...best I've seen him at the Lane.

Worries me that we do have talent but we aren't getting the best out of them for whatever reason. Today we looked a shambles

Wasn't a bad player, suffered with injuries and was bought for the development squad. Apparently had a lot of pace too. Good luck to the lad, probably needed a move to kick start him

Wasn't a bad player, suffered with injuries and was bought for the development squad. Apparently had a lot of pace too. Good luck to the lad, probably needed a move to kick start him

I don't remember any pace. He looked the same on debut as he did today.

Like we are now saying Leon Clarke is bad we are saying McGahey is good?! Come one, Clarke will come good and Harrison will falter

McGahey is one of the softest central defenders I have ever seen. Big lad but so easy to push off the ball.

He did ok today but he wasn't exactly tested by our inept performance.

He did really well today to be fair - he had to head the ball at least 4 or 5 times.

Back
Top Bottom