Harrison McGahey

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm inclined to agree that the ceiling isn't that high. The only reason I'd be tempted to keep him is because I want our squad players to be young, with the potential to improve and on small money thus allowing us to have a first 11 of real quality. But it's about looking at what we've got and who can go the furthest. We have McGahey, Kennedy, Semple, Adebowale, Banton, Kelly etc. as young defenders at the club who can play centre half. It's all well and good keeping McGahey as cover but if there's little between him and the other youngsters who are still under contract (not Kennedy) then it may be worth releasing him.
That Adebowale. Have you seen him? He's huge. I can almost guarantee that the difference in technical ability between him and McGahey for example is very small if anything at all, I'd even go as far as saying there's a good chance he's better. But his sheer physicality would make up to a certain degree any deficiency in technicality that he may have.

On that basis, I cannot understand why he hasn't been given a chance yet. Two things that make it more puzzling are the facts that McGahey has had numerous opportunities under Clough, and if we are going to give anyone chances, it is most certainly times like now we have to do it.

Fuckin David Carney is probably still playing for us according to the OS.
David Carney - shudder.

Not only do we sign shite players, we've been at it for so long it's untrue.

I forgot about this tosspot.

UTB

That Adebowale. Have you seen him? He's huge. I can almost guarantee that the difference in technical ability between him and McGahey for example is very small if anything at all, I'd even go as far as saying there's a good chance he's better. But his sheer physicality would make up to a certain degree any deficiency in technicality that he may have.

On that basis, I cannot understand why he hasn't been given a chance yet. Two things that make it more puzzling are the facts that McGahey has had numerous opportunities under Clough, and if we are going to give anyone chances, it is most certainly times like now we have to do it.
I think Adkins and is coaches will make the decision on Mcgahays future at 20 he is far from his best.There are not many centre backs that are (if any )anywhere. near there peak. You write players off as though they are pieces of shit,it's a good job people who make decisions about young players are rounded people and look at all angles before releasing young players.These young players deserve to be treated properly as does everyone.
As for Adebowale he is still very young and raw ,looks a fantastic athlete with the physical powers to match but miles away from 1st team,hes not a regular starter starter for the under 18 s yet,but hopefully will be.

I Know McGahey knocks about with Baxter a lot, need I say anymore?

From a footballing position, i think he could still be a good player when or if his head is finally going in the right direction. Baxter has had more than enough chances, can he learn from Baxters' mistakes?

I Know McGahey knocks about with Baxter a lot, need I say anymore?

From a footballing position, i think he could still be a good player when or if his head is finally going in the right direction. Baxter has had more than enough chances, can he learn from Baxters' mistakes?

I thought it was McGahey who knocks about with Wallace Adams and reed. If their knocking about with Baxter we need to send him far far away. For all we know Baxter could be a dealer too, mark ward style

I thought it was McGahey who knocks about with Wallace Adams and reed. If their knocking about with Baxter we need to send him far far away. For all we know Baxter could be a dealer too, mark ward style
It's Baxter, James Wallace, McGahey and Adams that I've seen together on numerous of occasions, which sort of tells you why these players have had problems getting games at times this season.

Baxter and Wallace is not a surprise as they were in the youf at Everton together.

I’ve seen a picture of him so know he’s a big lad but not seen him play. He’s been on the bench for the U21s lately getting the odd few minutes. I think he’s still only 17 which is incredibly young for a centre half to play mens football so I can understand why he’s not playing. He seems to be behind Callum Semple in the U21s (think they have been partners at U18 level). Semple has been a well regared prospect for an awful long time. Remember first hearing about him when he was about 11 or 12.

I think Adkins and is coaches will make the decision on Mcgahays future at 20 he is far from his best.There are not many centre backs that are (if any )anywhere. near there peak. You write players off as though they are pieces of shit,it's a good job people who make decisions about young players are rounded people and look at all angles before releasing young players.These young players deserve to be treated properly as does everyone.
As for Adebowale he is still very young and raw ,looks a fantastic athlete with the physical powers to match but miles away from 1st team,hes not a regular starter starter for the under 18 s yet,but hopefully will be.

I agree that at 20, McGahey still has plenty of time to improve. However, when we compare him to where Maguire was at 20, there’s a world of difference. We've seen recently what a really promising 20 year old CB looks like so it's hard to get excited about what we've seen from young Harrison.

I’ve seen a picture of him so know he’s a big lad but not seen him play. He’s been on the bench for the U21s lately getting the odd few minutes. I think he’s still only 17 which is incredibly young for a centre half to play mens football so I can understand why he’s not playing. He seems to be behind Callum Semple in the U21s (think they have been partners at U18 level). Semple has been a well regared prospect for an awful long time. Remember first hearing about him when he was about 11 or 12.

It is a waste of time replying to Barney. He hasnt watched a Blades match at any level since October but still criticises the selections, the players etc. How can you judge a player by seeing a photo of him and not seen him play?

When Time Stood Still - October 2014, home v Yeovil:

Harrison & Mark Howard enact their seemingly endless Chuckle Brothers moment ("to me, to you, to me, to you, to me, to you, etc, etc...").

Hopefully Harrison's become a hell of a lot more decisive since then.

Suspect we'll find out tomorrow, if he's the big man in the centre of the three.

When Time Stood Still - October 2014, home v Yeovil:

Harrison & Mark Howard enact their seemingly endless Chuckle Brothers moment ("to me, to you, to me, to you, to me, to you, etc, etc...").

Hopefully Harrison's become a hell of a lot more decisive since then.

Suspect we'll find out tomorrow, if he's the big man in the centre of the three.
That was the moment I was on about earlier. The volume of my cry of "away" was so much so that I can sometimes still hear it to this day.

McGahey has not been able to get himself into the first team on any kind of regular basis under 2 managers. That is with a dearth of centre halves. He is a big lad but is very poor technically and positionally does not have a clue. Looks like someone who has just fell into playing football. May seem harsh but have to be honest. Every game he has played he has had the likes of Collins, McEveley constantly telling him where to stand and who to mark.

Remarkable that people are considering keeping someone like him?

He has shown zero improvement from his debut v Bristol City last season and even with a defensive crisis struggles to get in.

Move him on. We have a squad full of no hopers and many we can move on in the summer. If we persist and wait for people like him to improve we will be going down the leagues rather than up them.

McGahey has not been able to get himself into the first team on any kind of regular basis under 2 managers. That is with a dearth of centre halves. He is a big lad but is very poor technically and positionally does not have a clue. Looks like someone who has just fell into playing football. May seem harsh but have to be honest. Every game he has played he has had the likes of Collins, McEveley constantly telling him where to stand and who to mark.

Remarkable that people are considering keeping someone like him?

He has shown zero improvement from his debut v Bristol City last season and even with a defensive crisis struggles to get in.

Move him on. We have a squad full of no hopers and many we can move on in the summer. If we persist and wait for people like him to improve we will be going down the leagues rather than up them.
Can't beleave what ime reading here!
ime not saying he's the answer but he's not played at 1St team level for a year he was 19 then and as Adkins
says: he's been patient waiting for his chance: his chance has arrived let's see if he's improved. it's the same members that keep writing off these young players,Barney hasn't seen them play I don't know about you Deadbat. as I have said it's the coaching staff who decides who stays and they will ime sure worked on McGahey weaknesses, he was highly rated when Clough signed him.maybe he's had one of those periods all young players go through,
We will see in due course

I've not thought he was any good since his first touch of the ball for this club against Bristol City last season. Maybe it's a bit harsh, but he just wasn't very good

Can't beleave what ime reading here!
ime not saying he's the answer but he's not played at 1St team level for a year he was 19 then and as Adkins
says: he's been patient waiting for his chance: his chance has arrived let's see if he's improved. it's the same members that keep writing off these young players,Barney hasn't seen them play I don't know about you Deadbat. as I have said it's the coaching staff who decides who stays and they will ime sure worked on McGahey weaknesses, he was highly rated when Clough signed him.maybe he's had one of those periods all young players go through,
We will see in due course

What can you not believe what you are reading? This squad is full of poor players. That is why we are stuck in this division. McGahey is one of them. He looks no nearer making it as a professional now than he did 2 seasons ago.

If he was any kind of player, he would have been playing. We have had misfits like Collins, McEveley (improved a lot recently), Alcock etc playing centre back last few seasons and McGahey has hardly played. This is in a defence what has shipped so many goals. He cannot be making much of an impression in training/u21 games?

This is not about writing a player off. The reality is we are middle of the third division; have a crap defence and this lad cant get into it. He went on loan to the worst side in the league Tranmere and could not get in their team with most of their fans labelling him useless.

I struggle to fathom how a player like this is suddenly going to be the answer. It is hardly one of those periods - he has been here 2 seasons now and is further away from team than when he signed and will only play if we have injuries.

You are right we will see in due course but when his contract expires end of the season then we will see where he ends up. Another one that has been nowhere near the 1st team and not one club has taken him on loan. Says it all.

If fans are happy with us bobbing around in the third division mid table for years to come then we can have a squad full of players like him. Me thinks many have had more than enough time to make an impression and most have failed. We may sign different players who don't work out but we need to freshen things up big time this summer.

Still have nightmares of what Hendo and King did to him back in Jan 2006. If Ched got 5 years, they should have got life for such brutal rape.

If I remember correctly Hendo came on as sub in the earlier game, the first thing he did was to drop Bromby, he then popped two in to give Watford the lead, we fought back and got a 3:2 victory.
In the game you mention dane, didn't Morgs have to bail Bromby out, with him dropping Hendo. "Bromby the Adrian Street of Football !!"

What can you not believe what you are reading? This squad is full of poor players. That is why we are stuck in this division. McGahey is one of them. He looks no nearer making it as a professional now than he did 2 seasons ago.

If he was any kind of player, he would have been playing. We have had misfits like Collins, McEveley (improved a lot recently), Alcock etc playing centre back last few seasons and McGahey has hardly played. This is in a defence what has shipped so many goals. He cannot be making much of an impression in training/u21 games?

This is not about writing a player off. The reality is we are middle of the third division; have a crap defence and this lad cant get into it. He went on loan to the worst side in the league Tranmere and could not get in their team with most of their fans labelling him useless.

I struggle to fathom how a player like this is suddenly going to be the answer. It is hardly one of those periods - he has been here 2 seasons now and is further away from team than when he signed and will only play if we have injuries.

You are right we will see in due course but when his contract expires end of the season then we will see where he ends up. Another one that has been nowhere near the 1st team and not one club has taken him on loan. Says it all.

If fans are happy with us bobbing around in the third division mid table for years to come then we can have a squad full of players like him. Me thinks many have had more than enough time to make an impression and most have failed. We may sign different players who don't work out but we need to freshen things up big time this summer.
Can't disagree with the main body of your post but McGahey is going to get his chance and like you I agree he has to have improved a lot so we will see maybe tomorrow.Wouldnt be the first player to prove people wrong.I hope he does.

If I remember correctly Hendo came on as sub in the earlier game, the first thing he did was to drop Bromby, he then popped two in to give Watford the lead, we fought back and got a 3:2 victory.
In the game you mention dane, didn't Morgs have to bail Bromby out, with him dropping Hendo. "Bromby the Adrian Street of Football !!"

I think you have to be a certain age to understand that!

I think you have to be a certain age to understand that!
_75590842_as_dad_mine_624x431.jpg

McGahey did well today. Was fine. Lets see how he fares against better teams/attackers. Today he was much better than Basham.

Can't agree with this at all.

Twice in a couple of minutes first half he missed simple headers. Against a big strong forward he'd have no chance.

Carried the ball well out of defence and perhaps decent enough as a squad player but I think we need a better CH than this in the first team.

Bash was immense - as always. :)

Interesting. I thought Basham was really poor. I noticed Basham lose a number of headers and gave it away more than McGahey today. Watch the highlights when Basham is done also for pace (start of 2nd half and McEveley gets him out of the cart). this happended twice early second half. Basham and Brayford were our two worst defenders for me. McEveley and McGhaey were better than them. Done was good going forward but so-so defensively. Saved a goal but missed a tackle on the first goal.

Think Basham is a bang average player. Another one a regular for us at centre back/central midfield in a side middle of the league but somehow escapes criticism. When he has played at the back we have shipped goals and when he has played in midfield we have got overrun. Think he has had a poor season.

McGahey may struggle against a big strong player and I do not think he is answer and should be moved on. However he did ok today. I have to call it as I see it game by game.

Interesting. I thought Basham was really poor. I noticed Basham lose a number of headers and gave it away more than McGahey today. Watch the highlights when Basham is done also for pace (start of 2nd half and McEveley gets him out of the cart). this happended twice early second half. Basham and Brayford were our two worst defenders for me. McEveley and McGhaey were better than them. Done was good going forward but so-so defensively. Saved a goal but missed a tackle on the first goal.

Think Basham is a bang average player. Another one a regular for us at centre back/central midfield in a side middle of the league but somehow escapes criticism. When he has played at the back we have shipped goals and when he has played in midfield we have got overrun. Think he has had a poor season.

McGahey may struggle against a big strong player and I do not think he is answer and should be moved on. However he did ok today. I have to call it as I see it game by game.

Totally agree, Basham was poor today.

Does everybody who plays for us have a bad attitude??

Reading people on here it seems like it. Has this guy signed yet?

a-team4-mr-t.jpg

Fully agree re Basham.
Liability, he is.
If we are to progress he is one of the ones we need to shift out.
He should be far more effective than what he is and he goes missing far too often when he should be the one grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.

I believe we'll have quite a big clear out in July, especially with all the out of contract players, however Sharp, Brayford, Long, Adams and Reed are the only players that we'll 100% see next season unless we receive an unrejectable offer. The rest are fighting for their careers.

Back
Top Bottom