Harrison McGahey

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can't agree with this at all.

Twice in a couple of minutes first half he missed simple headers. Against a big strong forward he'd have no chance.

Carried the ball well out of defence and perhaps decent enough as a squad player but I think we need a better CH than this in the first team.

Bash was immense - as always. :)

Find it frustrating to read at times. He's 20 years old!!!! Give him time for heavens sake....hasn't made a league start since October can't expect him to be faultless. He will make mistakes, he's learning. As we saw with Reedy today for their second goal....but he made up for it. The time out the side looks to have done his confidence the world of good and I thought he was our best player first half, read the game well, drove into space. Aerially he does need work but like I've said that will come with game time. Think McGahey has been written off way too early, has everything to be a good CH at this level and beyond but just needs patience and backing.

The academy is producing, the older pros don't have the legs or the ambition anymore. Only one way to go for me and thats to give youth a proper chance.

I believe we'll have quite a big clear out in July, especially with all the out of contract players, however Sharp, Brayford, Long, Adams and Reed are the only players that we'll 100% see next season unless we receive an unrejectable offer. The rest are fighting for their careers.

Believe Coutts is here until 2017?....he'll be one the biggest earners also...

Can't agree with this at all.

Twice in a couple of minutes first half he missed simple headers. Against a big strong forward he'd have no chance.

Carried the ball well out of defence and perhaps decent enough as a squad player but I think we need a better CH than this in the first team.

Bash was immense - as always. :)

You are exposed at the back and mistakes highlighted more , as they can cost you a goal . I think with a good CB at the side of him , he could do the business and save us some dosh at the same time . Baps would be a great mentor and decoy for McGahey . Banham just doesn't do it for me his head doesn't work with his feet , and he is not a born leader .

UTB

Believe Coutts is here until 2017?....he'll be one the biggest earners also...

He's got one more season aye. If we can find a club who wants him I'd really try to negotiate a settlement.

If we can't, we need to plan for him to be a fringe player. Perhaps even send him out on loan where his wages are shared.

You are exposed at the back and mistakes highlighted more , as they can cost you a goal . I think with a good CB at the side of him , he could do the business and save us some dosh at the same time .

Hmmm... I'd not write him off yet either, but he's right on the brink of it. If we plan to get promotion with Baptiste and HM as our centre halves, I wouldn't put a single penny on it.

He's good on the ball but makes too many positional errors to play CB for me.

Could he play the holding centre mid role perhaps?

He's got one more season aye. If we can find a club who wants him I'd really try to negotiate a settlement.

If we can't, we need to plan for him to be a fringe player. Perhaps even send him out on loan where his wages are shared.

Fringe player on big money , that's what irritates and upsets players who are working there bollocks off for less and in the first 11 . Not the players fault if he negotiated a good deal , but not good for SUFC moving forward.

If not first team material , then somehow get rid . It will just cause / create unrest and we are then back to square one , with a unhappy camp .

UTB

I thought McGahey was the best of the back three against Southend. He needs a Morgan-like figure along side him to coach and mentor him.

He also needs to be told (by Adkins) to continue his surging runs forward. Like Maguire, he is a big lad and once he gets up to speed he would be hard to stop

I thought McGahey was the best of the back three against Southend. He needs a Morgan-like figure along side him to coach and mentor him.

He also needs to be told (by Adkins) to continue his surging runs forward. Like Maguire, he is a big lad and once he gets up to speed he would be hard to stop
then we can sell him :D

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water here. Yes McGahey has had a very patchy start to his career at SUFC but his stature and style of play tells me he will improve. He's still very young and with the right coaching and a few more games under his belt. He WILL be as good as Harry McGuire, who if we all remember had the pace and mobility of a turning battleship.

Had a decent game against Southend so what does Adkins do? Drops him in favour of our injury prone loanee defender who will likely be going back to Middlesbrough at the end of the season.

The lad needs games to keep improving. Clueless.

Lost a couple of early headers and was horribly out of position at one point but settled and played well after that.

Still a young lad. Give him time.

If I remember correctly Hendo came on as sub in the earlier game, the first thing he did was to drop Bromby, he then popped two in to give Watford the lead, we fought back and got a 3:2 victory.
In the game you mention dane, didn't Morgs have to bail Bromby out, with him dropping Hendo. "Bromby the Adrian Street of Football !!"

Not too sure if Morgs dropped Hendo or not. I recall Unsworth getting sent off for a forearm smash but I think that was on Eagles.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water here. Yes McGahey has had a very patchy start to his career at SUFC but his stature and style of play tells me he will improve. He's still very young and with the right coaching and a few more games under his belt. He WILL be as good as Harry McGuire, who if we all remember had the pace and mobility of a turning battleship.

I don’t want to write the kid off but not sure how you can say he’ll be as good as Maguire? He’s nowhere near the standard Maguire was at the same age. Maguire had been a first team regular at this level for 2 years and had been named in the division’s team of the season by the same age. He also didn’t need a good partner to look good.

I don’t want to write the kid off but not sure how you can say he’ll be as good as Maguire? He’s nowhere near the standard Maguire was at the same age. Maguire had been a first team regular at this level for 2 years and had been named in the division’s team of the season by the same age. He also didn’t need a good partner to look good.
Vardy was playing for SBS when Rooney was playing for England but plenty would now choose Vardy for the Euros.

(Yes, it was me that posted THAT POST on BM where I said MaGahey would end up better than H, it haunts me like the fucking 'Micky Adams will sort us out' post).

Vardy was playing for SBS when Rooney was playing for England but plenty would now choose Vardy for the Euros.

(Yes, it was me that posted THAT POST on BM where I said MaGahey would end up better than H, it haunts me like the fucking 'Micky Adams will sort us out' post).

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen. Just that the evidence suggests it's unlikely and I find it very strange that at this stage people are saying he WILL be as good as a factual statement. As you say with Vardy, he could really kick on and become a top player but on the balance of probabilities, it seems very unlikely that he will be as good as Harry. Might still make a decent CB in time though.

HM2 disappeared down the tubes when Clough played him at RB. Went to Tranmere and was awful by all accounts. He seems to have chunked out a bit and I have to say he was better than I expected in the last couple of games. He carried the ball out quite well but does need to toughen up, improve his distribution and improve his positioning. Not dreadful but not particularly exciting either.

HM2 disappeared down the tubes when Clough played him at RB. Went to Tranmere and was awful by all accounts. He seems to have chunked out a bit and I have to say he was better than I expected in the last couple of games. He carried the ball out quite well but does need to toughen up, improve his distribution and improve his positioning. Not dreadful but not particularly exciting either.

Still a far better option than Collins yet for some reason the manager thought that Collins should be one of the first names on the team sheet !

Difficult isn't it, because what will our strategy be in terms of wages and squad building?

We're not going to go out and sign 4 centre halves all of equal ability and wages and watch them happily duke it out, knowing that one at best might be in the bench and the other will not be in the squad at all.

So it's either going to be young lads making their way as back up or past it pros who no longer insist on playing so frequently or a further alternative of players who cover multiple positions.

There will be no older centre backs in contract, unless you consider retaining JMac. There don't seem to be any coming through from the youths. Maybe Semple but he's only just getting into the U21s.

Unless we intend on having say Basham and a fit again Wallace as the main back ups behind two new guys, there must be a 1 in 2 chance of he and/or McEveley remaining in a back up capacity.

As you can probably see I emphasised the word WILL, because he IS not as good as McGuire YET. But given a run in the side and a bit of patience I feel the lad has the potential to become as good. Dont forget Harry was a big awkward lad who made quite a few mistakes when he first came into the side. But we kept faith with him and played him regularly and he turned out to be our best defender.

As you can probably see I emphasised the word WILL, because he IS not as good as McGuire YET. But given a run in the side and a bit of patience I feel the lad has the potential to become as good. Dont forget Harry was a big awkward lad who made quite a few mistakes when he first came into the side. But we kept faith with him and played him regularly and he turned out to be our best defender.
Second best defender. We still had Collins. :D

Well as daft as it sounds in the (Ched goes to jail) season. Collins could "do" Harry for pace.

McGahey has done well last 2 and a bit games and was harshly dropped on Saturday - he was one of better ones at Southend. Still he has not done enough over 2 years to get a new contract. We have had a dire defence and he has struggled to get into it. I will temper any praise for likes of him, Basham, Flynn, McEveley have had some utterly awful performances. Over the course of last 2/3 years the bulk of this side/squad have not been good enough. Nowhere near (if you look at how far we have been off the top last 3 seasons)

The Maguire comparison is ridiculous. Harry was better at 18 than McGahey is now and he had played 100 odd games by time he was 20. Not to say McGahey wont develop and will not make it but I am not convinced. Maguire was (and still is - wont ever make top Prem players due to lack of pace/mobility) a great reader of the game, could sense danger and was a far superior footballer. He was composed on the ball and could control it and pick a pass. McGahey has done ok last few games in this regard but overall he has looked jittery on the ball and unsure positionally or to sense danger. Maguire also was better in the air and more determined. McGahey might get a vastly reduced 1 year contract offer but like with Kennedy and many more; I think will be moved on. It was a signing that we gambled on but he was seen as real talent from Blackpool but in a piss poor division he has barely improved in 2 years.

That "lad" Adkins has got so much potential. . . . . .Just not seen it yet.

Difficult isn't it, because what will our strategy be in terms of wages and squad building?

We're not going to go out and sign 4 centre halves all of equal ability and wages and watch them happily duke it out, knowing that one at best might be in the bench and the other will not be in the squad at all.

So it's either going to be young lads making their way as back up or past it pros who no longer insist on playing so frequently or a further alternative of players who cover multiple positions.

There will be no older centre backs in contract, unless you consider retaining JMac. There don't seem to be any coming through from the youths. Maybe Semple but he's only just getting into the U21s.

Unless we intend on having say Basham and a fit again Wallace as the main back ups behind two new guys, there must be a 1 in 2 chance of he and/or McEveley remaining in a back up capacity.

Good observations. I don’t mind him sticking around as cover and in the hope he can develop into a genuine first team player. I’ve always said I want our back up players to be young, with time to improve and to be on little money so save wages for a better standard first 11. That said, I wouldn’t be devastated if we released him either as I’ve not seen enough from him to make me think he’s going to be anything special.

Each to their own but for me, Harry was our best defender from the age of 18 when he broke into the team just before we got relegated. He did make the odd mistake and lack of pace was an issue but he dominated everything in the air. I’d say Maguire was better at 18 than McGahey is now at 20 so I think it’s very unlikely (but not impossible) that McGahey will be as good as or better than Maguire.

Back
Top Bottom