Atkins interview on match and transfer window / deals

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rodley

Reaction score
Sounds like he's said the football club did everything to bring someone in. Also sounds like the door is still ajar.

On football heaven audioboom - not sure how to post the link if anyone can help.

I'd be interested on some people's comments, Adkins has said the football club went well and beyond in an attempt to back him. Also credits Mal Branningan.

Sounds like Fulham end re: Burn...I know they've signed a CB today but I'm guessing they needed/wanted two in... (like us!?!?)

I'm guessing the one he was 'excited about' was Hammond...

Maybe we can get them in on loan...who knows eh...disappointing but we move on...

Others have mentioned it, but Given Adkins has been here for 3-4 months, the first game of the season was 3-4 weeks ago, we sold Harry 12 months ago... We've had time.

I think ultimately the club insist on doing transfer work at the last minute.

Brighton took Murphy 2 weeks ago, Phipps spoke of a contingency... Well it's not really manifested itself very well.

Personally I'm not too stressed about the lack of signings since we sold Murphy, it's entirely predicatable. We were never going to sign anyone by today. United may work hard to sign players but we fail more often than not

I'm concerned that were playing a risky game not signing another centre half, another goal keeper and another central midfielder

I'm just as concerned that we've retained so many players - like Alcock, Collins etc when we really need to reduce the squad size

Will any of this affect form? Extremely unlikely unless we get injuries to Edgar, basham and Howard

Others have mentioned it, but Given Adkins has been here for 3-4 months, the first game of the season was 3-4 weeks ago, we sold Harry 12 months ago... We've had time.

Exactly. While in some circumstances we'll be wanting a player from club A, but they're waiting to see what club B are doing who are waiting for club C who are waiting for club D and then it becomes a last minute clusterfuck, it's still ridiculous. Find player, agree fee, buy, I really don't care if getting it done means paying an extra 15-20% or whatever over market value, I'd rather just have a centre back and having certainty makes further squad moves easier

Exactly. While in some circumstances we'll be wanting a player from club A, but they're waiting to see what club B are doing who are waiting for club C who are waiting for club D and then it becomes a last minute clusterfuck, it's still ridiculous. Find player, agree fee, buy, I really don't care if getting it done means paying an extra 15-20% or whatever over market value, I'd rather just have a centre back and having certainty makes further squad moves easier

I'm pretty sure deadline week/ day transfers send fees sky high

Brilliant interview and loads to look forward to. The manager supports the players, individually and collectively. He supports the M.D. and the Board too.

We've got numbers but we'll always welcome more quality. It didn't happen - yet.

Brighton took Murphy 2 weeks ago, Phipps spoke of a contingency... Well it's not really manifested itself very well.

Personally I'm not too stressed about the lack of signings since we sold Murphy, it's entirely predicatable. We were never going to sign anyone by today. United may work hard to sign players but we fail more often than not

I'm concerned that were playing a risky game not signing another centre half, another goal keeper and another central midfielder

I'm just as concerned that we've retained so many players - like Alcock, Collins etc when we really need to reduce the squad size

Will any of this affect form? Extremely unlikely unless we get injuries to Edgar, basham and Howard

We need to get rid:

McFadzean
Alcock
Higdon

Maybe get rid of Collins if we get Burn or someone in.

Then loan out:

Flo
Damaio
Whiteman
Khan
Diego
Harrison
Willis

If we bring another keeper in then I would loan or sell Long but Adkins seems to like him.

Transfer window comes to an end, only for loans to begin.....seamless if you ask me. I think being close to the top of this division will be a persuasive argument when approaching players. As we saw today, a couple of players would have been ideal, but it wasn't to be so no tears spilled, just an increased dedication to bring in better quality. Those are Adkins thoughts in the interview, so he's obviously planning for the rest of this season and beyond. Better quality, as in the case of Edgar, will shine through. Players who aren't shy of the battle but whose nous will make that difference to this season's outcome.

dont get all the panic

the loan window opens in a couple of week so we will get what we need then
just out of interest

guess which league one club has spent the most so far

Ill give you a clue , they play in Yorkshire

and before some one asks whos sold the most , its Swindon

the loan windows available soon , just means short term loans till its sorted january
conceded 1 goal in 4 league games so we should be able to muddle through
We arent short of options , we still have a large squad and lots of returning players on the mend

sometimes theres obstacles to signing players that our club cant do anything about

Arsenal still astound football just one signing this summer petre cech
they get by
perennial cl qualification and last 2 FA cups , , shows you can run it from a squad

dont get all the panic

just out of interest

Surely Wigan have spent more than any other club in our league.

not according to transfer market .com, wigan spent more today

pps missed the end of the deadline , did wednesday get to spend that 10m they had spare after missing out on McCormack

dont get all the panic

just out of interest

Really? You think we'll sign players in two weeks?

What will happen in two weeks is we will spout some more bullshit about waiting a few more weeks so that we can keep the players until January. (That won't happen either), but besides the point this is EXACTLY why it was of uttermost importance to get players in during this window. We have messed up once again. We literally now have to just hope and pray the rest of the league is shit so that we can go up. Amateurish club.

dont get all the panic

just out of interest

Barnsley ? ;) Bradford ? ;) mmmmm got to be the dingles who have brought in around 10 ok 6 are loans but wages and all that as we are always reminded of if the Prince's investment is looked at.

Really? You think we'll sign players in two weeks?

What will happen in two weeks is we will spout some more bullshit about waiting a few more weeks so that we can keep the players until January. (That won't happen either), but besides the point this is EXACTLY why it was of uttermost importance to get players in during this window. We have messed up once again. We literally now have to just hope and pray the rest of the league is shit so that we can go up. Amateurish club.
listen to Adkins , he realises things didnt pan out , it happens
imagine how gutted owls fans are at not getting any 10m pound players in
they had 40 50m to spend on players and only got one for 100k
and sold stevie may the new Dalglaish

Last edited:
Transfer window comes to an end, only for loans to begin.....seamless if you ask me. I think being close to the top of this division will be a persuasive argument when approaching players. As we saw today, a couple of players would have been ideal, but it wasn't to be so no tears spilled, just an increased dedication to bring in better quality. Those are Adkins thoughts in the interview, so he's obviously planning for the rest of this season and beyond. Better quality, as in the case of Edgar, will shine through. Players who aren't shy of the battle but whose nous will make that difference to this season's outcome.

Adkins sounded like these deals may still happen eventually.

Barnsley ? ;) Bradford ? ;) mmmmm got to be the dingles who have brought in around 10 ok 6 are loans but wages and all that as we are always reminded of if the Prince's investment is looked at.

yes and of those 6 how many are better than what we have
Adkins knows who he wants , do you want us to sign any old twat just so we can say we got someone , would rather wait and inprove on what we have , if possible

Well one of them hit 18 for Swindon

see you havent argued we should have signed harry white from gloucester
numbers mean diddly

Adkins is experienced enough to play the long game , he will get what we need

all this wheres the money crap is ridiculous , we tried to spend it but if clubs wont release players we can do fuck all about it

see you havent argued we should have signed harry white from gloucester
numbers mean diddly

Adkins is experienced enough to play the long game , he will get what we need

all this wheres the money crap is ridiculous , we tried to spend it but if clubs wont release players we can do fuck all about it
Strange how many were saying we could just go straight out and buy 2-3 players with the Murphy money were you one of them ?

Strange how many were saying we could just go straight out and buy 2-3 players with the Murphy money were you one of them ?
Where they saying that? Or were they saying it was a good price and should be used to strengthen elsewhere in the team?

imagine how gutted owls fans are at not getting any 10m pound players in
they had 40 50m to spend on players and only got one for 100k
and sold stevie may the new Dalglaish

That is a pretty decent consolation, it has to be said.

Great interview from Adko btw.

Still a bit gutted we got no-one in, but like he said we've got the numbers & it's extra quality we're looking at getting in. We got Brayford last year; & tbf similar lengthy pursuits could happen this year (with a team that's actually fully firing in the meantime this time round). Certainly no signs from NA that he's being short changed by the board, far from it.

Last edited:
Still a bit gutted we got no-one in, but like he said we've got the numbers & it's extra quality we're looking at getting in. We got Brayford last year; tbf similar lengthy pursuits could happen this year (with a team that's fully firing in the meantime this time round). Certainly no signs from him that NA's being short changed by the board there, far from it.

we havent dropped 8 places in the league like some think by not signing any one
just have to wait to what is really get cover for what we have
weve beaten the 2 sides who got in the play offs with us so we dont play any team stronger

bang on the money swiss saved me from posting .

Back
Top Bottom