Tonights Corporate Meeting With The Chairman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm sure you're right. But he's got to stop thinking like a charity and start thinking like a lean business, spending money only where needed.

Our cost base is just too high and needs addressing.

UTB

But it's not really our cost base it's his (and the Prince's) cost base isn't it? What's his motive for spending more money?

Pretty sure I've said it before but in his interview earlier in the season he seemed very aware and very annoyed (several million pounds annoyed) that he'd been funding a social security system.

I'm just hoping all the Academy stuff is not an overreaction. Thinks: Southampton produce world class players, why can't we?

Apart from the transfer fee you get for them because they're under contract of course.

Oh that transfer fee. The one that continually seems to disappear down that black hole. Yeah that one :)

Still annoying when they sign a contract only for the club to flog said player at the first opportunity. We know most clubs sell their best players, but we appear to be experts in the art

Honestly don't think we do it more than most in our position.

But it's not really our cost base it's his (and the Prince's) cost base isn't it? What's his motive for spending more money?

Pretty sure I've said it before but in his interview earlier in the season he seemed very aware and very annoyed (several million pounds annoyed) that he'd been funding a social security system.

I'm just hoping all the Academy stuff is not an overreaction. Thinks: Southampton produce world class players, why can't we?
I appreciate its his money, but a million quid squandered on shite is a million that can't be spent on useful things - whichever pot it's from.

UTB

No he didn't go into that, but listening to other people it may be he had an ago akin to his dads. I have no idea at all to be fair,sorry.
shame he dint have his dads ability , i think he will sink in the championship

Match day catering staff, who are employed by compass not the club

Exactly but let's make Kev into a martyr now.

Aren't the Stewards employed by a separate company as well? Used to be a subsidiary of the Plc.

Indirectly the club does pay compass staffs wages , those that work at Bramall lane that is .if the club closed it's match day packages (corporate deals ).
Those staff that work in the corporate areas would not work at the lane,and since a large number are part time there would be no work for them
Equalls = no pay.

Indirectly the club does pay compass staffs wages , those that work at Bramall lane that is .if the club closed it's match day packages (corporate deals ).
Those staff that work in the corporate areas would not work at the lane,and since a large number are part time there would be no work for them
Equalls = no pay.

Don't Compass pay the club for the right to provide the catering?

There's no evidence about how Murphy would have reacted. He did express a desire to play in a higher division in the hope it got him a Scottish cap. Ie he did want to leave. Same as there's no evidence that he wouldn't have sulked either but don't you think the club have to take that into account.?

At least he'll be in the Euros?

Won't he?

Don't Compass pay the club for the right to provide the catering?
Yes and United get a % of profits made on the Bramall lane concourses,but as I said if the club closed these facilities down due to
lack of customers ,then the staff at Bramall lane wouldn't have a job .no job no money !!.

Yes and United get a % of profits made on the Bramall lane concourses,but as I said if the club closed these facilities down due to
lack of customers ,then the staff at Bramall lane wouldn't have a job .no job no money !!.

I think the caterers pay a flat fee for trading, so United couldnt just "close it down" because of the contract in place. Failure to provide the customers with what they want is the responsibility of Compass or whoever as is the responsibility for their staff.

I think the caterers pay a flat fee for trading, so United couldnt just "close it down" because of the contract in place. Failure to provide the customers with what they want is the responsibility of Compass or whoever as is the responsibility for their staff.
I would think Sean both parties would agree to a cancellation of said contract if there was no profit in it. Which would mean no work no job.I would hope this scenario wouldn't happen but it is quite possible.

I would think Sean both parties would agree to a cancellation of said contract if there was no profit in it. Which would mean no work no job.I would hope this scenario wouldn't happen but it is quite possible.

I don't think it will, these companies are skilled at pricing and profit margins are huge. Being cynical though, if a caterer gets his sums wrong, why should United agree to cancel the contract?

Re the fraud element. Could it be that it was suspected or pretty much known but not proven? If we sacked Clough with a big payoff we wouldn’t have needed grounds and we’ve all seen that you can open offshore bank accounts in your dogs’ name and get away with it.

Perhaps we re-signed McEveley with a huge signing on fee to be split with Clough/Brannigan and that was the last straw?

So Clough and/or Brannigan "perhaps" stole money from the club yet STILL received a big pay off to leave quietly?

Jesus H.

I recently heard the same re alienating the players. The board (or at least McCabe) were annoyed that Clough had fallen out with a number of players, several of whom had been banished to training with the under 21s, and was refusing to even try to reconcile with them, making them worthless despite their large wages. In a nutshell, Clough had fallen out with too many people.

Fallen out with, or decided they weren't good enough and preparing to move them on in the summer?

Pretty much the same as Adkins is getting praise for doing now.

Apart from Higdon, he didn't pay a fee for any of the lads he "fell out" with.

Shaun Barker wasn't signed. He was invited to train with the club with a view to earning a pay as you play contract,

McFadzean and Andy Williams were 100% lined up.
I read somewhere that Clough wanted to sign him and Phipps disagreed as he had enough of signing players who have a poor injury record?

You probably read it on here and it was probably made up. That's how it works, fabricate a story put it on s2, Bladesmad or Twitter and a few weeks later someone quotes it as fact. Eg Clough signed Sammon and McCabe confirmed it at the fans forum. Give it two weeks and the mceverly signing on fee being split between Brannigan and Clough story will be being discussed as a factual reason as to why Clough was sacked.

I read somewhere that Clough wanted to sign him and Phipps disagreed as he had enough of signing players who have a poor injury record?

You'll have read that Phipps also said Nigel is our man on at least 1000 occasions. He soon changed his mind.

You'll have read enough articles from Phipps agreeing with the policy to largely increase the squad size to cope with the fixture list cos the season before they felt the team had ran out of steam. The whole board soon changed their mind.

Barker 100% wasn't signed, he was offered the chance to train with a view to earning a contract. The only centre half that was agreed was McFadzean from MK Dons.

You'll have read that Phipps also said Nigel is our man on at least 1000 occasions. He soon changed his mind.

You'll have read enough articles from Phipps agreeing with the policy to largely increase the squad size to cope with the fixture list cos the season before they felt the team had ran out of steam. The whole board soon changed their mind.

Barker 100% wasn't signed, he was offered the chance to train with a view to earning a contract. The only centre half that was agreed was McFadzean from MK Dons.
Ok

I don't think it will, these companies are skilled at pricing and profit margins are huge. Being cynical though, if a caterer gets his sums wrong, why should United agree to cancel the contract?

Might be teaching you to suck eggs here but it's likely that there's a termination for convenience clause in the contract where Compass could pay to exit, normally it involves paying SUFC to find a reasonable replacement (i.e re-tender costs and potentially any additional cost for the new supplier for a defined period) and any irrecoverable costs (i.e. If we bought something specific to Compass' requirements and it wasn't wholly transferable to a new supplier).

They're invoked very rarely as they are normally more expensive to get out of than it is to trade at a loss and from a PR perspective it's basically the supplier saying "we fucked up".

So Clough and/or Brannigan "perhaps" stole money from the club yet STILL received a big pay off to leave quietly?

Jesus H.

I have absolutely no idea. Just speculating in response to a query of how it could be that it happened yet no charges were brought. No idea if it happened or not.

players are always going to want to leave.. even Leicester are going to have problems. the thing that worries me is that there seems to be no plan for replacing players. you'd think they'd have a plan that says for every position in the team.. if x leaves .. we try and buy y and if not z etc..
i believe it is called contingency planning

SP, whilst it's very admirable worrying about Leicester and their contingency plans, I think we should concentrate on problems nearer to home and technically your comments are in the wrong section ;)

I recently heard the same re alienating the players. The board (or at least McCabe) were annoyed that Clough had fallen out with a number of players, several of whom had been banished to training with the under 21s, and was refusing to even try to reconcile with them, making them worthless despite their large wages. In a nutshell, Clough had fallen out with too many people.
That doesn't make sense. What was Clough supposed to do with these players to increase their value? Play them when he doesn't want to?
Surely, if he's fallen out with them the sensible thing to do as chairman is to call in their agents and say find a loan club, or a club willing to sign your player, as he has no future here.
And since Clough has gone, how many of these players have increased in value under Adkins' clean slate policy?
Who were these players? We know about Collins and Butler. Scougall? McNulty? Diego?

That doesn't make sense. What was Clough supposed to do with these players to increase their value? Play them when he doesn't want to?
Surely, if he's fallen out with them the sensible thing to do as chairman is to call in their agents and say find a loan club, or a club willing to sign your player, as he has no future here.
And since Clough has gone, how many of these players have increased in value under Adkins' clean slate policy?
Who were these players? We know about Collins and Butler. Scougall? McNulty? Diego?

Don't shoot the messenger. Just passing on what McCabe told someone I know.

The key message was that he'd fallen out with a lot of people at the club.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just passing on what McCabe told someone I know.

The key message was that he'd fallen out with a lot of people at the club.
No shooting. I'm sure KM said it. I just think it's muddled thinking. Or he didn't want the real reason to be made public.

Back
Top Bottom