Match Thread Grimsby Town v. Sheffield United - Pre-season Friendly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Totally agree and that's why I made the points that firstly it's no surprise to me because of these wankers and also it's a different sort of hooliganism, more about bullying I genuine fans rather than meeting up with like minded people. Which is why they only show when there's a big Blades away following on a Saturday, somewhere they see as safe.

Regretfully that's true, I've no doubt the people who made the comments to the young lass in question were the same as those who terrified the young girls in the catering outlets at the away grounds last season.

But as Za says what do the rest of us do, give up and let them win?

Regretfully that's true, I've no doubt the people who made the comments to the young lass in question were the same as those who terrified the young girls in the catering outlets at the away grounds last season.

But as Za says what do the rest of us do, give up and let them win?

I don't have an answer. Maybe the club can do something but then they don't do anything about racist comments on official coaches.....

This is why trouble occurs in this fixture and why it is unavoidable:

Firstly, a lot more people travel from Sheffield than those merely going to the match. Indeed, out of the 4 of us who went today I was the only one who went to the actual game. The other lads wanted to drink at the seaside, which is fine but that's also what the other dickheads came to do. You can't stop people travelling without good reason.

Secondly, the locals also turn out for this fixture. A large away following ensures that the Grimsby dickheads will see us as a challenge. This happens every time we play them.

All the right precautions were taken. There was a large and visible police presence throughout the town, but if enough people want to scrap then you can't entirely contain that risk.

So yes, anyone fighting today is a twat and anyone caught deserves robust punishment, of course they do.
BUT it was still unwise to go there today if you were expecting a normal day out. It's not a moral subject, it's just cold harsh reality.

I go to less away games now than ever. Partly due to having a little un. Partly because we are shite and partly because of scenes like today. Every club has a percentage of dickheads but sadly ours seems to be quite a lot higher than most (granted we have more fans than all at this level). I took my 8 year old to a few last year and it was embarrassing to see some of the behaviour of many of our fans.

The above posts from Laneender suggests that we should not even bother taking our kids/families to away games. Sad state of affairs and whilst i totally disagree with him and we should not give in to morons; sadly I wont be taking my little un to many away games.

I go out of my way to avoid dickheads like those portrayed in the pictures/videos in the Grimsby paper when I go away and fortunately seem to find myself in poncy wine bars and niche boozers buying overpriced continental lager or finding anywhere away from where the morons tend to congregate (quite easy to fend them off as they tend to be limited to the nearest pub to train station of town we are visiting, the local Wetherspoon or pub nearest the ground).

Moving things back to football, my only concern with United is how thin the squad looks.

Goalkeeper
Long is 1st choice and the backup is an 18 year old
Defence
Only 9 players in defence. 2 are teenagers who've never played league football (Semple and Kelly) and 2 are on the transfer list (K Wallace and K Freeman)
Midfield
Basham, Duffy, Fleck and Done? are OK, but beyond that we have Whiteman, Reed (where was he today?) and Brooks who are all kids, plus Coutts, Scougall and J Wallace who all have question marks over them.
Attack
4/5 strikers looks Ok but no big target man.

It's the number of kids on the bench that is a worry. A run of injuries and it'll look like a kindergarten.

Firstly, a lot more people travel from Sheffield than those merely going to the match. Indeed, out of the 4 of us who went today I was the only one who went to the actual game. The other lads wanted to drink at the seaside, which is fine but that's also what the other dickheads came to do. You can't stop people travelling without good reason.

Secondly, the locals also turn out for this fixture. A large away following ensures that the Grimsby dickheads will see us as a challenge. This happens every time we play them.

All the right precautions were taken. There was a large and visible police presence throughout the town, but if enough people want to scrap then you can't entirely contain that risk.

So yes, anyone fighting today is a twat and anyone caught deserves robust punishment, of course they do.
BUT it was still unwise to go there today if you were expecting a normal day out. It's not a moral subject, it's just cold harsh reality.

I agree to some extent and one of reasons I did not bother. Cant be arsed with friendlies but had an inlking there would be a lot of lager fuelled 'fans' travelling and trouble may follow

However today was not a 'one off'. There were a number of away games last season where some of our fans seemed to act like utter dickheads. It is happening more often and by more than a few fans sadly. Does that mean it is unwise for me to take my son to any away games?

I go to less away games now than ever. Partly due to having a little un. Partly because we are shite and partly because of scenes like today. Every club has a percentage of dickheads but sadly ours seems to be quite a lot higher than most (granted we have more fans than all at this level). I took my 8 year old to a few last year and it was embarrassing to see some of the behaviour of many of our fans.

The above posts from Laneender suggests that we should not even bother taking our kids/families to away games. Sad state of affairs and whilst i totally disagree with him and we should not give in to morons; sadly I wont be taking my little un to many away games.

I go out of my way to avoid dickheads like those portrayed in the pictures/videos in the Grimsby paper when I go away and fortunately seem to find myself in poncy wine bars and niche boozers buying overpriced continental lager or finding anywhere away from where the morons tend to congregate (quite easy to fend them off as they tend to be limited to the nearest pub to train station of town we are visiting, the local Wetherspoon or pub nearest the ground).

I think you'll find Lane Ender was talking about today - a rather obvious game for trouble as Tyler D asserts - rather than no away games at all.

You say you won't be taking your daughter to many away games - which is a shame - but the ones you may go too, won't you take into account the likelihood of trouble (as well as other things) ?

I thought that was the point LE was making.

Whenever there is a decent away following the Police often direct them over the footbridge then along the seafront and every time the Grimsby 'Fans' (short for Fannys ;)) always ambush them at the same spot and chuck stones off the railway.

To be honest, I think you will go a long way before you will find a Police force that is more inept at controlling football fans than Humberside Police,

Good points Tyler . I really never expect a normal day out following the Blades both from a match and terrace / fan perspective .

Grimsby was always going to be a potential hotbed due to previous form.

The worrying thing is that families are starting to get hit by shrapnel from there own fans . With the real hardcore fans they did ( never mind what anybody says ) have honour among thieves .

Is it drink , drugs , or are these young guys just fucked off with football ( which has become obscene with the amount of money floating about ) and use it has a vehicle to make there own entertainment , with the remit of SUFC being near the top or top of the league , even if it's a hooligan league table.

No idea and ain't got a answer , but still love the buzz of a away day . Winning makes it better.

Also our club does need a next generation and junior blades is a great starter for 10.

UTB

I agree to some extent and one of reasons I did not bother. Cant be arsed with friendlies but had an inlking there would be a lot of lager fuelled 'fans' travelling and trouble may follow

However today was not a 'one off'. There were a number of away games last season where some of our fans seemed to act like utter dickheads. It is happening more often and by more than a few fans sadly. Does that mean it is unwise for me to take my son to any away games?

Whilst I agree that today wasn't a one-off, it has a different aspect to other away games. A sunny saturday by the seaside with plenty of boozers serving relatively cheap alcohol guarantees a higher proportion of idiots unfortunately. And for the reasons outlined in my last post, this is difficult if not impossible to avoid.

As you rightly point out, we do seem to be attracting more arseholes to regular away games as well. I witnessed their antics first-hand many times last season. This is a concern, and the club need to be much more proactive in weeding them out. This is something we can (and should) deal with.

You should be able to take your lad anywhere you like without other United 'fans' ruining the experience and I hope you will. But as things stand I don't blame you for not going.

I think there is a high horse to be on.

Trouble at football shouldn't be seen as inevitable. Football will die if young fans can't be taken to games and sixteen isn't that young.

It's uncomfortably close to the argument that girls down town are "asking for it". It doesn't sit pretty.
Sorry Linz l think I come from another age.
I used to go to the lane 71-72 mi mam and dad know what was going on everyone was on the Shoreham in those days some proper bollox.
My point is at games like today there's gonna be trouble no doubt.
Ok go to the game if you want but accept the consequences don't start winging when things go wrong

I used to go to the lane 71-72 mi mam and dad know what was going on everyone was on the Shoreham in those days some proper bollox.
Ok go to the game if you want but accept the consequences don't start winging when things go wrong

But how are things going to change if the dickheads aren't condemned?

Ban Lager and make them drink RealAle they will be fine then no chemicals you see to mess up their two brain cells

Whilst I agree that today wasn't a one-off, it has a different aspect to other away games. A sunny saturday by the seaside with plenty of boozers serving relatively cheap alcohol guarantees a higher proportion of idiots unfortunately. And for the reasons outlined in my last post, this is difficult if not impossible to avoid.

As you rightly point out, we do seem to be attracting more arseholes to regular away games as well. I witnessed their antics first-hand many times last season. This is a concern, and the club need to be much more proactive in weeding them out. This is something we can (and should) deal with.

You should be able to take your lad anywhere you like without other United 'fans' ruining the experience and I hope you will. But as things stand I don't blame you for not going.

You are right and today did have that extra element due too location etc but this was Grimsby FFS. Last season it was the same in places like Rochdale. Some of these younger elements really do seem to actually believe the moronic 'We're Sheff United...we do what we want' chant. If and a big if , we went back up the leagues these same morons might get a shock if they try giving it the big un at places like Leeds, Cardiff, Birmingham etc.

I will go away a few times next season but will pick and choose sensibly. Already looking forward to Millwall (seriously going to that). Sans 8 year old!

I think it's clear that he used to be just like them from various comments that have glorified hooliganism. Apologies if this is not the case but that's how it comes across.

Jesus Christ, are you for real? It was a pre-season friendly, hardly a trip to Galatasaray. If idiots want to fight like minded idiots then I'm happy to leave them to it but innocent people wanting to enjoy a game of football should not have that ruined by the idiots.

Oh Linz you ain't going to change young men it's just how they are.
Jeez it makes me cringe some of the situations I've been in.

There is a bigger picture to this . We do go on about McCabe and the nice to have further investment , or he sells the club .

Sheffield as a city , McCabe as a developer are entering into partnering agreements with individuals , companies , funders. , investors from China . The behaviour from our fans is totally alien to there own culture .

Could scenes like we are witnessing scupper any future investment into the blades , or are they oblivious to goings on , with sitting in the comfort of a directors box.

No idea , but it could have a knock on affect. , especially as we are supposedly this community , family club image of all things good .

Is it drink , drugs , or are these young guys just fucked off with football ( which has become obscene with the amount of money floating about ) and use it has a vehicle to make there own entertainment , with the remit of SUFC being near the top or top of the league , even if it's a hooligan league table.

This ^^^

On the first point, I was in the toilets just today and a lad younger than me said to me "It's not an away day without a bit of sniff is it pal?"
I laughed at him, but what I should've said was "Dunno mate, I've enjoyed plenty of away days in the past 20 years and not once have I 'sniffed' anything you little fucking scrote".

But mainly the root of the problem is in your second point. The football itself has been so shit this past few years that it's no longer the focal point of going to the match. That applies to me as well to an extent, because I often would much rather stay in the pub than drag myself to the game to get depressed.
This also leads to twats occupying their day with other "activities". If some people can't get a buzz from watching United then they will get it from drink, drugs and violence.

Jesus Christ, are you for real? It was a pre-season friendly, hardly a trip to Galatasaray. If idiots want to fight like minded idiots then I'm happy to leave them to it but innocent people wanting to enjoy a game of football should not have that ruined by the idiots.

It IS being ruined by the idiots though. That's my point.

It's no secret, and should be taken into account, no matter how things "should be".

The club are selling these people tickets, maybe they should send someone to see how bad it is inside stadiums at away games and ban the scummy fuckers.

There is always going to be trouble at football matches now and then. Always has, always will.

That is just an unfortunate fact of life.

That is part of football, you go to the match with that risk in mind.

If you don't like the trouble, eliminate the risk and don't go.

However if you choose to attend, you're accepting that risk so you've got little/no right to moan when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom