McCabe Out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ideally he'd take full control of the club as well, buying the prince out if he was serious, and rich enough.

As mentioned somewhere in Gray's post(I think), one owner would be far more effective then our current set up.
I think that's unlikely. I don't know of many owners who buy clubs having had previous experience of running them. Apart from Mandy.
I'd rather have KM than some foreign owner with no more idea how to run a club than him, probably a lot less.

Finding a DoF type would be hard but easier than finding a new owner knew how to run a club.

Knew finance, knew football. More about both than most on here. And look how he fared. In any event, an employee not a prospective owner.

We're now trawling through the list of billionaires desperate to buy us. The "fans consortium" idea will rear its ugly head again soon as well.
No, I'm talking about an employee.

No, I'm talking about an employee.

Well we've had a series of those, most with a Scarborough background. We know have Brannigan who is already classed by some as useless. Whoever comes in has to deal with the egos of millionaires. Not easy and seemingly not long term. Therefore not easy to appoint.

Dooley is often mentioned in discussions like this. One of his strengths in the job was that he was aware of his own weaknesses. As he said when he retired, it was a different world, and he was a dinosaur.

We've been crying out for a director of football or similar for a very long time. Somebody who knows football, somebody with a good awareness of our recent past and somebody they'd actually be willing to listen to. It doesn't have to be anybody with some outstanding record on a massive salary. It shouldn't be a big ask. It's no exaggeration to say that many of us would be capable of improving things if given the responsibility. That understanding of where and why we've failed, where we need to improve, what's required in the current situation, what works for us and what doesn't is absolutely fundamental and would make it more difficult for an outsider - we've seen how long it's taken Adkins to get his head around the garbage he has to work with, and he's a highly respected manager with a good record. Ideally it would be someone already at the club who is knowledgeable and well respected. If nobody meets that criteria, then it's time to start looking.

We've been crying out for a director of football or similar for a very long time. Somebody who knows football, somebody with a good awareness of our recent past and somebody they'd actually be willing to listen to. It doesn't have to be anybody with some outstanding record on a massive salary. It shouldn't be a big ask. It's no exaggeration to say that many of us would be capable of improving things if given the responsibility. That understanding of where and why we've failed, where we need to improve, what's required in the current situation, what works for us and what doesn't is absolutely fundamental and would make it more difficult for an outsider - we've seen how long it's taken Adkins to get his head around the garbage he has to work with, and he's a highly respected manager with a good record. Ideally it would be someone already at the club who is knowledgeable and well respected. If nobody meets that criteria, then it's time to start looking.

The point about how long it's taken Adkins is bang on. However doesn't it negate the idea that "many of us" could just walk in and make a success of it?

Management is very different from some advisory role. If Adkins had seen everything us fans had before he took the job then the start he made would've been emphatically better.

So if he had have sought your advice, The Blades would now be 10 points clear at the top?

Are you Dynamo? Can you walk on water?

Well, as one example, Howard and McEveley wouldn't have been given new contracts. As another, we wouldn't have blown our transfer budget on a right back. Nor would Clough have been allowed to stretch the wage bill to the extent he did by assembling such a large squad of extremely questionable quality.

Management is very different from some advisory role. If Adkins had seen everything us fans had before he took the job then the start he made would've been emphatically better.

I'm confused, are you suggesting the position being discussed is only an "advisory role" ? I read it as someone to take over the running working alongside the manager rather than someone just mulling over stuff with the owners over a cup of tea. Like Jim with a bit more no how.

As for a better start, that would have involved buying new players I'd say, would you hand that job to a fan, just on the basis we've been watching the team for a while? You could advise of who to sign but if the Finance Director/CEO/ Chairman says no, what then?
Making terrible decisions running a football club is unlikely to result in a rich man appointing a rank amateur to the board. Never in a million years in fact. As you rightly say, we need to start looking.

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Well, as one example, Howard and McEveley wouldn't have been given new contracts. As another, we wouldn't have blown our transfer budget on a right back. Nor would Clough have been allowed to stretch the wage bill to the extent he did by assembling such a large squad of extremely questionable quality.

The new DoF inherits all that. Much of the budget already gone. What then?

Came across a brilliant campaign for McCabe out.

"Get rid of McCabe, lots of words, get rid of McCabe, paragraph, more words, get rid of Mccabe, even more words, and some more and for good measure even more words, also get rid of McCabe.
UTB!"

I think I can see what the contributor Barmyblade is getting at.
Basically he's not sure if Mr McCabe is the right man for the job.

That's how I read it anyway. I could be well wide of the mark though!:eek:

I'm confused, are you suggesting the position being discussed is only an "advisory role" ? I read it as someone to take over the running working alongside the manager rather than someone just mulling over stuff with the owners over a cup of tea. Like Jim with a bit more no how.

As for a better start, that would have involved buying new players I'd say, would you hand that job to a fan, just on the basis we've been watching the team for a while? You could advise of who to sign but if the Finance Director/CEO/ Chairman says no, what then?
Making terrible decisions running a football club is unlikely to result in a rich man appointing a rank amateur to the board. Never in a million years in fact. As you rightly say, we need to start looking.

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

More than just an advisory role obviously but not one involving major responsibility on par with the manager's for example.

A better start would've been made by knowing straight away which players aren't good enough. As we did. I've not said that I'd put a fan in charge of buying players though. That's for the scouting and management. Although I would prefer any DoF coming in to be in contact with them about the sort of players to be targeting, etc, ensuring some sort of consistent, productive approach to recruitment.

The new DoF inherits all that. Much of the budget already gone. What then?

No getting away from it, the current situation is far from ideal until we manage to get some of the dross off the wage bill next summer (can't wait for that).

But we need to start planning for the future and the earlier someone can come in, the better.

More than just an advisory role obviously but not one involving major responsibility on par with the manager's for example.

A better start would've been made by knowing straight away which players aren't good enough. As we did. I've not said that I'd put a fan in charge of buying players though. That's for the scouting and management. Although I would prefer any DoF coming in to be in contact with them about the sort of players to be targeting, etc.

I didn't think you'd said anything about buying players but while I agree with your points about Howard and McEveley etc, and I also agree that fans can quite clearly see the issues that need to be dealt with, it needs someone who can provide solutions rather than hindsight. That would rule out 99.9% of fans out due to the simple fact of never having operated at that level in a football club.
It needs an experienced professional. God knows where we can find one.

I think I can see what the contributor Barmyblade is getting at.
Basically he's not sure if Mr McCabe is the right man for the job.

That's how I read it anyway. I could be well wide of the mark though!:eek:

Don't worry, there'll be a new thread about the same thing tomorrow which will clear up your confusion.

I didn't think you'd said anything about buying players but while I agree with your points about Howard and McEveley etc, and I also agree that fans can quite clearly see the issues that need to be dealt with, it needs someone who can provide solutions rather than hindsight. That would rule out 99.9% of fans out due to the simple fact of never having operated at that level in a football club.
It needs an experienced professional. God knows where we can find one.

I can't speak for everyone but in my case it isn't hindsight regarding any of the three examples I've referred to. I do agree that ideally it needs someone with experience but I don't think it should require a sizeable salary being paid.

I can't speak for everyone but in my case it isn't hindsight regarding any of the three examples I've referred to.

I meant that going to the board and pointing out x y and z aren't good enough isn't enough. They may well have seen the same as we all have. They may well have discussed the very same with the manager. They want solutions. That's where the challenge comes in, finding the answers. And getting the board and the manager to agree and spend the money.

If the scouting and buying is down to the manager etc, what will the DoF do with his time?

Pointing out simple things would actually seem to be an improvement looking at how the club has been run in recent years! One of the solutions would've actually been not renewing certain contracts. And as I've suggested, changing recruitment strategies - one thing could be a greater emphasis on mentality above everything else when it comes to new signings. Although it should be left to the scouts and manager a DoF could still have plenty of input and interact with them on a regular basis. As for other things to do with their time, I'm sure there's plenty but as I've said, I don't think it's a job that requires a massive salary and working all hours.

You deal with recruitment and salary negotiations on a daily basis?

How much would you pay? And how many hours per week.

Pointing out simple things would actually seem to be an improvement looking at how the club has been run in recent years! One of the solutions would've actually been not renewing certain contracts. And as I've suggested, changing recruitment strategies - one thing could be a greater emphasis on mentality above everything else when it comes to new signings. Although it should be left to the scouts and manager a DoF could still have plenty of input and interact with them on a regular basis. As for other things to do with their time, I'm sure there's plenty but as I've said, I don't think it's a job that requires a massive salary and long working hours.

Fair enough but it would still have to be a pro. No manager would take advice from a fan with no background in scouting or coaching at a decent level. I must be wrong in thinking you are suggesting a fan goes into a meeting once a week with advice based on a few hours of research. That's a total non starter in my eyes. In fact it's pretty ridiculous, which is why I think I'm missing something here.

That would be the biggest issue with someone without a proven track record, getting anyone to listen. No matter how good/knowledgeable they may be. The main thing I'd have in mind though is advising the board - those whose football awareness and knowledge is limited. And I'm saying that many fans could improve the club in a role of such responsibility if the people at the club actually listened - due to experience and knowledge of the club more than research.

Pointing out simple things would actually seem to be an improvement looking at how the club has been run in recent years! One of the solutions would've actually been not renewing certain contracts. And as I've suggested, changing recruitment strategies - one thing could be a greater emphasis on mentality above everything else when it comes to new signings. Although it should be left to the scouts and manager a DoF could still have plenty of input and interact with them on a regular basis. As for other things to do with their time, I'm sure there's plenty but as I've said, I don't think it's a job that requires a massive salary and working all hours.
A DoF in place could have rectified just about all the most basic of errors that have been made recently. Both at management and board level. It definitely doesn't demand a forensic selection process. All it would need is thorough clarification that the individual concerned had a fairly extensive knowledge of where we went wrong, how it would have been fixed should they have been in the role, and a detailed plan of what needs to be done. All that would have to match up with the board's views though, and since they were overseeing the failures they would be attempting to address, I'm not sure whether the selection process would fall down at that stage.

That's another £250,000 a year, in the hope that they add some value that the bloke with 4 promotions can't spot.

More likely is that the manager is well aware of our weaknesses, the Achilles heel being the time it takes to address it.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom