McCabe Out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Came across a brilliant post by GrayBlade on bladesmad. I couldn't have put it better myself, although I think he's a bit generous on Adkins. I hope something can gather pace in the near future with regards to a full campaign for McCabe out.

GrayBlade's post below:

"Now before anybody tells me that we’d look sick without him and how the club will fall apart if he left, bear with me. I’m not for one minute suggesting that he should walk away now, what I’m saying is that he needs to plan to let go of the reigns and in the interim, bring in somebody to run the football club top down with drive who knows the game and what’s needed for success. If he needs to sell his half stake to achieve this so be it, we can’t carry on declining like we have done for the past 8 years under his leadership. I think it’s also obvious now that his ‘sleeping partner’ over in Saudi has little interest or intention of financing the club beyond the basics. We’re not and never were going to get ‘game changing investment’ from him despite what spin Jim Phipps puts on it.

We desperately need somebody at the very top with a bit of football nouse and the desire to succeed and take us forward, not just to the next level but the top where our fantastic fan base has already shown it can match if not better all but the very top clubs in numbers, and continues to be one of the biggest outside the Premiership even after 8 years failure and decline and 5 seasons in the 3rd tier. How many clubs’ would still be getting our level of gates already facing the possibility of another season of disappointment? I can’t think of many, this club has got so much going for it, it just needs the leadership that we the fans deserve.

Steering a club of this size out of League One in under 5 seasons doesn’t take the good luck that McCabe often moans we that we lack, you make your own good fortune and over time you are where you deserve to be. It takes planning, no knee jerk reactions and most of all total commitment from the owner, and we've seen just what committed owners can do in our own back yard at Donny and Rotherham in recent years.

McCabe hasn't got what it takes to take this club forward and he never will have. He's great on the off-field side and he's given us a stadium to be proud of, but he's not got the long term will to win, strength of character and consistency in his approach to the playing side of things to take our club forward even our current lowly level. I also wonder about his self-appointed advisors. Everybody in the game must have known that this season's League One had no stand-out teams and surely he should have been firmly informed that with bit more ambition, we'd have our best ever chance yet of going up automatically. Was he told this (if he didn't already know) or are they too scared to tell it the way it is?

McCabe’s biggest flaw for me is that he and by default his team try to take us for fools. Murphy left the club in mid-August and I think it is obvious that (the currently hapless) Woolford was brought in a month earlier as his pre-planned replacement. Just like all our other 'stars' before him season after season, he was going to be on his bike ‘when the big clubs came a calling’, and yet again, our latest manager had to plan the season without his star player. It’s confusing then that clubs a fraction of our size often manage to resist offers from bigger clubs including United by simply putting up a ‘Not for Sale’ notice. The club didn’t have to sell Murphy, they INTENDED to sell Murphy whether he wanted to leave or not, just like all our other ‘star’ players, and with Done and Flynn out long term, the team was immediately lacking in an area that we’d excelled in the previous season.

Everybody at the club and fans alike soon realised that we needed 3 maybe 4 new players to give Adkins a fighting chance of getting off to the good start we desperately needed, but the end of August deadline came and went with the usual inference ‘we tried’ but the emergency loan system will kick in 7 days on. But this date also passed because of the 93 day maximum loan rule so no incomings until around October 1st then. It made sense, but again the ‘deadline’ passed and now we’re are told January will be a better time to do business. Better for who? For the fans? For the team? How far off pace will we be by then? It’s exactly what happened last season, teams often come with a late run into the play offs but it’s rare for a team to come from nowhere into the top two which HAS to be our minimum target this season.

But this is how McCabe does things. There never seems to be any real top down planning, urgency or an obvious intention that we’re really going for it. We always here talk of quality not quantity but do the opposite, followed by ‘let’s suck it and see’ usually followed by splashing the cash on a couple of players inevitably followed by tightening the reigns and a panic sale. He doesn’t stick to any one course and in the end, it’s all the manager’s fault. The Murphy cash was secured and since then all we’ve had is talk, Jim Phipps frequently telling fans to ‘Hang tight!’ and that ‘Mal’s working hard to get deals over the line’. It’s all PR bull in my opinion, with McCabe nodding in approval from a safe distance. We are being lied to and they are trying to take us for mugs.

Adkins has made mistakes, no doubt about that, but I’m sure he expected and deserves more support than he’s got so far. He’s told us that he is looking to strengthen, we even know some of the players that he wanted to sign after the season got underway, but not one has arrived. But don’t worry lads, our ranks will soon be boosted by one of the few leaders and genuine quality players at the club. That should give the team and fans alike a lift, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Brayford hits the ground running early enough, we will offload him in January and so it continues with Adams probably next summer.

Enough is enough with McCabe, he tried but where football is concerned, he is not ambitious enough or knowledgeable enough for a football club of our standing. We have been in a worse league position then when he took over for 6 years now, with no sign that he knows how to turn us around. He has been the one managerial constant throughout our decline and decline, nobody else is to blame, certainly not Lady Luck. He ultimately will sanction the top level hiring and the firing and agrees the club’s strategy and finances. The book stops with him although I suspect he thinks it’s everybody else’s fault, and that he has constantly been let down.

In the short term, he needs to bring in somebody in the mould of a younger Derek Dooley as Chairman, and step down from that role. I think he also needs to find somebody better than Brannigan who seems lightweight to me for his position. I think Adkins is definitely the man for the job but he desperately needs bodies in if we are to have a decent season. McCabe often tells us that he’s a proud Blade and he attends some games and no doubt watches the highlights like we all do. If so, he MUST see what we all can see, and that is we are not currently good enough in key areas, and he must also know like us that failure to sort it now will jeopardise our whole season.

I’ve written to the club about my concerns, and I know of others who have. I hope Mr McCabe is ready to move aside sooner rather than later but in the meantime, I hope that he will do all that he can to make sure our 5th season in League One ends in success and then hopefully, he will be able to go out on a high.

Sorry I went on guys, sometimes I just need to get things of my chest and put it out there.

UTB!"

Barny' , I understand your frustration, however, a "McCabe out" agenda will only work if a) the majority fans support this strategy and b) you can find someone with a HUGE amount of disposable income who wants to invest in a third division club that has potential. Has it failed to register with you that McCabe will benefit if/when we get promoted?

Re: Grayblade's post; it seems to be a very polite way of saying "McCabe out", which is all well and good.....if you have an alternative...with loads of money

As for his suggestion of a younger Derek Dooley type; I knew DD, he was a "football" man, but frankly I wouldn't have let him run my greenhouse, let alone a football club. He was a very nice man who became a conduit between the non-footballing board members and the management/playing staff.
No more, no less

I'm all for it. All Kev needs to do is look down his list of people waiting to take the club on and get it sold (well his half anyway). Mind you I think people under estimate his abilities. His deliberate plan of losing money hand over fist whilst keeping us from reaching somewhere where the club can earn / generate more income is working a treat.

Can we have some possible names for the next owner. I'd like to do some due diligence. ...

I'm all for it. All Kev needs to do is look down his list of people waiting to take the club on and get it sold (well his half anyway). Mind you I think people under estimate his abilities. His deliberate plan of losing money hand over fist whilst keeping us from reaching somewhere where the club can earn / generate more income is working a treat.

Can we have some possible names for the next owner. I'd like to do some due diligence. ...

Barny Blade

I think he's just saying KM should appoint someone who is capable of running the club, to run the club. So we stop doing the same things over and over while expecting different results.

I don't think it's a radical suggestion.

It's just a question of finding the right person.

Actually Barny this is one of your better posts but glad you're referring to BladesMad for inspiration. So many flaws in it though, too many to even begin to comment. 3 for effort, 1 for content.

I think he's just saying KM should appoint someone who is capable of running the club, to run the club. So we stop doing the same things over and over while expecting different results.

I don't think it's a radical suggestion.

It's just a question of finding the right person.

" Just" ??!! oh and with a few million dosh too:):)

" Just" ??!! oh and with a few million dosh too:):)
I must have read a different post to you. I read it as saying he should step down and appoint a chairman with a footballing background.

Actually Barny this is one of your better posts but glad you're referring to BladesMad for inspiration. So many flaws in it though, too many to even begin to comment. 3 for effort, 1 for content.
You're giving him 3 for the effort of cutting and pasting GrayBlade 's post?

I think SwissBlade is looking for work, a job where he doesn't have to have it away with lasses from Grimsby or Liverpool, good groundwork that is, the only way is up ;)

Oh right I see. It's a post containing a bit of realism about the club, no wonder you're struggling to comprehend it.

I must have read a different post to you. I read it as saying he should step down and appoint a chairman with a footballing background.

We have to support McCabe and his family , like we have to support the team. They both run in parrell IMO .

We do require someone with a in depth football knowledge on the board , and there plenty of fans on here who talk sense , have a knowledge of football , who could do the job.

Lets not get on McCabes back , but have positive suggestions on how we can improve.

UTB

We have to support McCabe and his family , like we have to support the team. They both run in parrell IMO .

We do require someone with a in depth football knowledge on the board , and there plenty of fans on here who talk sense , have a knowledge of football , who could do the job.

Lets not get on McCabes back , but have positive suggestions on how we can improve.

UTB
5 years in the third division, managers have been and gone.

It can't be a coincidence, can it?

UTB

Trevor Birch appeared to tick all the boxes and look what happened when he was here. It's just not that simple.

I can just imagine it on here if a BladesMad poster got the job though.

UTB
Ideally we'd get someone from a bigger club who is part of a team that runs the club, someone senior but not at the top, who knows how a big club is run, has good contacts and is ready to take the next step in his career and become the main man.

I think we all know KM's heart is in the right place but he desperately needs guidance on how to run a modern club. He owes it to himself to find the right person, someone he can trust to take us forward so he doesn't keep having to put money into the club. And now, while there's still some of the Prince's money left and we're an attractive proposition.

Ideally we'd get someone from a bigger club who is part of a team that runs the club, someone senior but not at the top, who knows how a big club is run, has good contacts and is ready to take the next step in his career and become the main man.

I think we all know KM's heart is in the right place but he desperately needs guidance on how to run a modern club. He owes it to himself to find the right person, someone he can trust to take us forward so he doesn't keep having to put money into the club. And now, while there's still some of the Prince's money left and we're an attractive proposition.
Ideally he'd take full control of the club as well, buying the prince out if he was serious, and rich enough.

As mentioned somewhere in Gray's post(I think), one owner would be far more effective then our current set up.

Trevor Birch appeared to tick all the boxes and look what happened when he was here. It's just not that simple.

I can just imagine it on here if a BladesMad poster got the job though.
Wrong boxes. Short term deal maker and asset stripper who'd played a bit of football. He was a right time right place man who dropped lucky when Abramovic flew over Stamford Bridge on his was back from looking at the club he was intending to buy, Spurs, and thought the nicer surroundings of Fulham compared to Tottenham made the potential much greater, and he could get a place near the stadium.

Wrong boxes. Short term deal maker and asset stripper who'd played a bit of football. He was a right time right place man who dropped lucky when Abramovic flew over Stamford Bridge on his was back from looking at the club he was intending to buy, Spurs, and thought the nicer surroundings of Fulham compared to Tottenham made the potential much greater, and he could get a place near the stadium.

Knew finance, knew football. More about both than most on here. And look how he fared. In any event, an employee not a prospective owner.

We're now trawling through the list of billionaires desperate to buy us. The "fans consortium" idea will rear its ugly head again soon as well.

Back
Top Bottom