Football League deal on Channel 5

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think the true measure of this show will be season 2/3 because bbc in the 1st year pushed the boat out & did well then as season after coverage was scaled back & program got later & later. But good news it will be on every week + internationals & they ve got spme practice on highlights with cricket for last few years

If you were in charge of the new Channel 5 Highlights Programme, what would you do? What sort of show would you like to see?

I think that my idea of a good show would be:-

1) No long introduction by the presenter and introducing his guests for the week
2) No featured matches where they show 10 minutes of a game, even if it was a boring 0-0 draw.
3) Rattle through highlights of every match in strict “Top to Bottom” order (no favoured teams being shown first).
4) Show all the best bits from every match, not just the goals. This would include good moves, near misses, controversial decisions, showboating etc..
5) If there’s any context to be explained (e.g. “Watford need to win to be certain of going up”), just stick it in a caption on the screen at the start of the match.
6) The first hour of the programme (including adverts as will be inevitable on C5) should be just that, no talk, all action.
7) Only after the full highlights package has been shown, should they switch to the traditional “pundits chatting about what they’ve just watched” scenario.
8) For the final half hour, the presenter can do a quick intro of his guests and review the week's main talking points.
9) While also showing the updated league tables, goalscoring charts etc..
10) I would like to see different guests every week for a bit of variety and this could include celebrity fans, comedians etc (not allowed to plug anything though) along with ex-players and managers.
11) Finally, presenter thanks his guests. Show best bits again over the end credits.

Bloody hell. You've thought about that haven't you. Fair play that would make a very good football show.

I got as far as: Don't do close-ups when players dribble because this fuckwitedness ENTIRELY MISSES THE POINT.

I've never tried "5 Player" but I fear the worst. I suspect it forces you to watch loads of adverts.

TOP TIP (If you can be arsed)
  • Open two tabs
  • Run the programme in both tabs
  • In Tab 2 drag the slider-thingy past the first ad break - it will jump to that part of the programme and play the ads in Tab 2 while you watch Tab 1
  • Watch Tab 1
  • (If you remember, after a couple of minutes switch to Tab 2 now the ads have played, drag to just past ad break 1 and Pause)
  • Just before Tab 1 gets to ads (otherwise you lose control) drag slider thingy to second ad break
  • Switch to Tab 2
  • Repeat, switching between Tabs.
Basically you're opening two tabs, watching the programme in one tab, and playing the ads out of sight (and sound) in the other tab.

That said, there are often no ads in the cricket highlights. It goes to a break and then comes straight back.

I never thought football league highlights could be 100x worse than The Football League Show. And I never thought I'd ever miss the sight of Steve Claridge. I turned that Channel 5 shite off after 15 minutes, absolutely awful. Don't think I'm gonna be watching that many times this season.

I never thought football league highlights could be 100x worse than The Football League Show. And I never thought I'd ever miss the sight of Steve Claridge. I turned that Channel 5 shite off after 15 minutes, absolutely awful. Don't think I'm gonna be watching that many times this season.

It really was shocking. Highlights/ God you'd have had a better view if you were in the ground!! That was total crap, like a kids show. Pure bilge.

This laddish shite really puts things in perspective. Get a load of knobends to stand perspiring and cheering the commercial break arriving and ending, and two unknown wannabe celebs to make jokes and grin a lot, and suddenly Manish, Leroy and Claridge look distinctly bearable with their deadpan, sombre approach.

Last edited:
Lets not judge it on the 1st episode but The highlights should have an order not jumbled mess but 1 massive plus is our highlights being on at 10 past 9pm instead of 10 past 1am is a start

I was looking forward to this and set the record button but after our defeat today can't be bothered. I missed a lot of football on TV this way last season.

Losing puts a downer on me for the week, stupid I know but that's how it is

Not really endearing themselves to Blades supporters. Pigs win on first, followed by piggy tosser talking shit, followed by slating our away kit, followed by showing our defeat and repeatedly emphasising how awful it was, followed by more slating of our away kit.

Alienating half of Sheffield. Well done.

I was looking forward to this and set the record button but after our defeat today can't be bothered. I missed a lot of football on TV this way last season.

Losing puts a downer on me for the week, stupid I know but that's how it is
Believe me if you'd watched the opening ten mins you'd have been looking for a sick bowl. For some wassock fronting the show to hold a Blades,away shirt, find a Blade in the audience, laugh at him , then hurl the shirt into the crowd, saying "does anyone want that?", seems to me to be totally unprofessional, and , to my Blades striped eyes, is the hallmark of a grade one prick. The fact that they sandwiched all that between the pigs randomly chosen win, followed by our defeat, and somewhere, Vaughan making fun of us dressed in a blue suit, and you wonder how much of it was stage managed to suit the Wednesday supporting cricketer.

Ive emailed a strongly worded complaint to customer service at C5. Am all excited now, what will I get from these nice people as recompense? A ticket to watch united, my team of choice? Aaaaarrrrrghhhhhh

Shocking show, thought George Riley had a 'know it all' style on radio 5 but last night really took the piss.

Is anyone really surprised that channel 5 produced a shit show? Let's look at their current line up of shows

Benefits Britain
Benefits by the sea
Baby faced mums
My little murderer
Scrounging Cunts in outer space
Monkey tennis

Their output is basically a live version of the daily mail.

Is anyone really surprised that channel 5 produced a shit show? Let's look at their current line up of shows

Benefits Britain
Benefits by the sea
Baby faced mums
My little murderer
Monkey tennis

Lets not forget Cowboy Builders, where they spend half of the show hustling stuff for free because they are over budget yet complaining about dodgy builders ripping people off.

Just watched last night's show (sort of, I skipped a lot of it).

List of negatives:

1. The jumbled order is a joke - Charlton v QPR after a load of League 2 games?

2. The utter humiliation of our football club - taking the piss out of our shirt and result and rubbing it in with Michael 'Piggy' Vaughan.

3. The Wendy spunkfest - why were they on first?

4. The fact that we were on 2nd, straight after the pigs backed up point number 2, purely done for humiliation.

5. The fact that it is on Channel 5 and so there are adverts.

6. The presenters are a joke, don't even seem like football fans.

7. When the games are on, commentary isn't always over the top of the action. I do not want to listen to some no-marks discussing the game as I am watching the highlights. Give me commentary.

8. The lack of actual highlights, most games are just purely the goals.

9. The absolute shambolic attempt at showing a league table.

10. I needed one more so this one can be just the fact it's shit.

Edit: 11. The amount of time given to Martin Allen to speak.

Benefits Britain
Benefits by the sea
Baby faced mums
My little murderer
Monkey tennis

Its like the Sunday Sport without the tits. Well tits there are, but presenting rather than , well...being like tits are..errm..birds in yellow feathers.

Back
Top Bottom