Same Opposition Two Home League Games in a Row

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nerd Corner: We're playing Chesterfield at home in the League two games in a row. Just wondered if that sort of thing had ever happened before.

A few years ago we managed to lose consecutive competitive matches on penalties, a feat which is nigh-impossible. I can't even think how it would normally come about - cup matches across different competitions are almost always separated by a league match. I guess you could lose a European tie mid week and them lose the Carling Cup final (the only game in the tournament that is played at the weekend) the following Sunday?

:( I must be missing something here, I can see us playing chezzy this month and next april.
Ah , played last season. got it.

Doh!!!

Come on FATTY spill the beans what have I missed? Were playing them August and April aren't we?

Consecutive home games. IE the last home game of last season and the first home game this.

Consecutive home games. IE the last home game of last season and the first home game this.

Well err yes! I knew that of course.....o_O

Thanks Guesty! :eek:

A few years ago we managed to lose consecutive competitive matches on penalties, a feat which is nigh-impossible. I can't even think how it would normally come about - cup matches across different competitions are almost always separated by a league match. I guess you could lose a European tie mid week and them lose the Carling Cup final (the only game in the tournament that is played at the weekend) the following Sunday?

We lost 2 consecutive games on penalties

Huddersfield Play Off Final
Burton League cup 1st round (played week before start of season) that useless Bastard who could only score penalties cored for us.

Burton League cup 1st round (played week before start of season) that useless Bastard who could only score penalties cored for us.

That's what I mean, we did it, has anyone else ever done it?

I can't really think how it would come about. Even the fact that the first game of the season was a cup games was a bit of an anomaly.

Nerd Corner: We're playing Chesterfield at home in the League two games in a row. Just wondered if that sort of thing had ever happened before.

Hey there Fatty. Great question and thanks for asking.

1973-74.....20 April 1974...Final home game... Sheff Utd 1 QPR 1.....Att:17,933
1974-75...17 August 1974.. First home game..Sheff Utd 1 QPR 1.....Att: 16,032

Put yer money on a 1-1 draw with Chesterfield.

x

We've had the away game equivalent: Reading away was the last away game of 1995-6 and the first game the following season.

I remember the same opposition, one home, one away.
Norwich City with the Kop roof off, 90-91, then Carrow Rd 2-2, opening day 91-92.
Does that count?
What do I win? :rolleyes:

No it doesn't...and nothing.
ATFQ. "At home in the League two games in a row".

Wasn't that the day Wendy lost 8-0 to Middlesbrough?

Also re the Chesterfield thing.... we played Swindon after the first Chessie game... doesn't that count?

Also re the Chesterfield thing.... we played Swindon after the first Chessie game... doesn't that count?

Not a league match I guess, although it is an extension of the league competition.

Lots of Nick Blackman revisionism going on these days. He was a good player and we sorely missed him after selling him, indeed we crashed out of the picture for automatic promotion. He was one of our only real threats in a lacklustre squad.

I'm sure one season we played Arsenal 24 times.

Lots of Nick Blackman revisionism going on these days. He was a good player and we sorely missed him after selling him, indeed we crashed out of the picture for automatic promotion. He was one of our only real threats in a lacklustre squad.

I agree - the sarcasm was obviously missed :)

1974-75...17 August 1974.. First home game..Sheff Utd 1 QPR 1.....Att: 16,032

Put yer money on a 1-1 draw with Chesterfield.

x

Yes, the scoreboard man (the scoreboard was in front of the partially built South Stand) was updating the Boro v Wendy score throughout the match score and before the final whistle of the Blades v QPR match. After the final whistle many Blades stayed in the ground to find out if Boro had scored anymore goals, the scoreboard man didnt have the number 8 so he made an 8 shape finger signal. There was an eruption of laughter around the stadium as the crowd made their way to the exits

Yes, the scoreboard man (the scoreboard was in front of the partially built South Stand) was updating the Boro v Wendy score throughout the match score and before the final whistle of the Blades v QPR match. After the final whistle many Blades stayed in the ground to find out if Boro had scored anymore goals, the scoreboard man didnt have the number 8 so he made an 8 shape finger signal. There was an eruption of laughter around the stadium as the crowd made their way to the exits

Yeah he kept putting a 2 under the 6 and pointing at 6 then 2 then the 0 - at first we all thought it finished 6-2 - then realised he was signalling that we should add the numbers together... 8-0!!! I remember running down the steps at the back of the kop to get out of the ground laughing and telling everyone who'd listen about how big the defeat was!!! :) "Memries".

No, no, no!!!
"At home in the LEAGUE two games in a row".
RTFQ.

You are correct about Wendy though!!!

20 Apr 1974 - BUOYANT Boro have already been crowned Second Division champions when they crushed Wednesday in front of an ecstatic Ayresome Park.

Does this count?

Sat 28/4/12: Sheffield United 2 (Cresswell, Lowton) Stevenage 2 (Byrom, Laird)
[Sat 5/5/12: Exeter 2 (Gow, Bennett) Sheffield United 2 (Williamson, McDonald; Beattie s/o)]
[Fri 11/5/12: Stevenage 0 Sheffield United 0]

Mon 14/5/12: Sheffield United 1 (Porter) Stevenage 0

Does this count?

Sat 28/4/12: Sheffield United 2 (Cresswell, Lowton) Stevenage 2 (Byrom, Laird)
[Sat 5/5/12: Exeter 2 (Gow, Bennett) Sheffield United 2 (Williamson, McDonald; Beattie s/o)]
[Fri 11/5/12: Stevenage 0 Sheffield United 0]

Mon 14/5/12: Sheffield United 1 (Porter) Stevenage 0

If it does count then this week-end doesn't because we've played a play-off between the two Chezzie games.

I seem to remember Easter '74 we had the "pleasure" of playing Leeds literally back to back. Elland Road on the Monday and back at the Lane on Tuesday. Managed to get punched at both games so that's a bit of a record.

No, no, no!!!
"At home in the LEAGUE two games in a row".
RTFQ.

But play-off games are league games.... they're just league games that only 4 teams take part in... based on league position as a way of settling a promotion in the league. They are run by the football league, not the FA. They relate to league position and settle issues of promotion within the football league. They are without doubt LEAGUE games.
:cool:

If it does count then this week-end doesn't because we've played a play-off between the two Chezzie games.

I seem to remember Easter '74 we had the "pleasure" of playing Leeds literally back to back. Elland Road on the Monday and back at the Lane on Tuesday. Managed to get punched at both games so that's a bit of a record.

That used to be a regular occurrence in fixture scheduling at Easter and sometimes at Xmas too.

It gradually got phased out - and had to be totally eliminated once the league went to 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. As it would mean conspiring to win one and lose one would result in a better outcome than drawing both.... and since they were back to back rather than interspersed with other fixtures it could be easy to manipulate and would have a direct impact on outcomes with respect to league position. Hence it don't happen anymore.

(The Leeds fixture at BDTBL that Leeds won 2-0 was the worst violence I've ever witnessed at a game in 45 years of going to football - horrible night and the reason I detest Leeds United so much).

Back
Top Bottom