Standing Ovations

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
Before the El Classico on Sunday it showed you the usual montage of games of days gone by. It included the famous scenes at the Bernabeu where Barcelona's Ronaldinho received a standing ovation from the Madrid fans.

Got me thinking, and this is probably one for the older, sorry, more mature fans - but has any Sheffield United player ever received the same treatment by the opposition fans? Purely for performance, not for previous ties with the club.

On the reverse, I remember Steven Kabba (then of Grimsby) getting a decent ovation when he played against us at the Lane. Warnock signed him a few weeks later. Perhaps we should have applauded Rooney off the pitch in the recent Premier League season!

Surely the likes of Currie and Woodward must have been appreciated elsewhere?

Jim Brown got a standing ovation at St James Park on Boxing day 1975 both from players and spectators. Its still the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen.

Remember the Kabba standing ovation, also remember one when Gazza (who was playing for M'Boro at the time) got subbed.

Not sure if you got your games muxed ip but I seem to remember him getting an ovation when he played for Burnley at the Lane towards the end of his career.

I don't think players receive the same affection or respect (if they're the right words) these days and most fans would just boo the likes of Ronaldo or Messi if they played at the Lane (unless Ronaldo misses another sitter like last time :)) You look at the top English players in the last 20 years such as Gerrard and Lampard and there's no way they would get a decent response anywhere other than their home ground.

Not sure if you got your games muxed ip but I seem to remember him getting an ovation when he played for Burnley at the Lane towards the end of his career.

I don't think players receive the same affection or respect (if they're the right words) these days and most fans would just boo the likes of Ronaldo or Messi if they played at the Lane (unless Ronaldo misses another sitter like last time :)) You look at the top English players in the last 20 years such as Gerrard and Lampard and there's no way they would get a decent response anywhere other than their home ground.
No hes right it was for Grimsby just before we bought him.

I remember the Anfield kop warmly applauding a save from Simon Tracey in a 2-1 defeat there, which I think was a NYD game. We led 1-0 through Deane, Tracey had an absolute blinder, and the save in question was from Houghton I think. Was moving one way and flipped his body mid air the other to tip round the post.

The most heartfelt such ovation I eve saw was for Ronaldo (the Brazilian) at Old Trafford after he scored a hat trick there for Real.

I distinctly remember the ovation that Gareth Taylor got when he was supposedly leaving for a money spinning move to FC Utrecht. The board witnessed the ovation, and Taylors performance that day, and pulled the plug on the deal. Went down like a fart in a lift from what i've heard.

Jim Brown got a standing ovation at St James Park on Boxing day 1975 both from players and spectators. Its still the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen.

Indeed it was.

You know when you go on the coach and there's three of you so someone has to sit with someone else. Imagine sitting next to the dirtiest farting bastard that has ever walked the planet. That, I'm afraid, is my abiding memory of Jim;s greatest day.

I can remember Wayne Corden getting applause for his goal minutes after Dean Saunders had don the throw-in trick in the game against Port Vale we won 2-1 and also a more general round of applause for a Cardiff goal when they beat us 4-3 .

I remember the Anfield kop warmly applauding a save from Simon Tracey in a 2-1 defeat there, which I think was a NYD game. We led 1-0 through Deane, Tracey had an absolute blinder, and the save in question was from Houghton I think. Was moving one way and flipped his body mid air the other to tip round the post.

Yes he got an ovation from the Kop at the end of the game and his save from Ray Houghton is still the best I have seen. Houghton volleyed a cross from about 10 yards and you have described Tracey's reaction right. He made several saves throughout the game and frustrating Dean Saunders who was on fire at the time. Houghton levelled the score by sliding in a low cross at the far post and Saunders' winner was deflected before hitting a post and in

For the first (and last) time in my life I'll be fair to Wendy fans. They joined with us at Wembley to give Mel Rees the best and most heartfelt standing ovation I've ever witnessed. And then the bastards went and won :mad::(

That was very emotional, remember my Dad almost in tears.

I wouldn't say it was a standing ovation - but I do remember a lot of fans applauding Eric Cantona's chipped goal in the FA Cup game in 1995. Was a sheer class goal and I remember a lot of people on the kop actually applauding it.

Better than Alan Kelly at Wembley in 1993?

I wonder if there's ever been a longer standing ovation than the one we gave our boys after Hull scored their last goal at Wembley last year?

You see some fans applauding goals against them. I just can't. No matter how good the goal it hurts too much.

Shaun Miller last season when he returned from his cruciate injury and came on as sub. The reception he got is one of the most touching things I've seen at The Lane.

Steve Kabba for Grimsby.

And it's not for an opposition player but the ovation we gave the team when Hull scored their 5th goal at Wembley gave me goosebumps and brought a tear to my eye.

Indeed it was.

You know when you go on the coach and there's three of you so someone has to sit with someone else. Imagine sitting next to the dirtiest farting bastard that has ever walked the planet. That, I'm afraid, is my abiding memory of Jim;s greatest day.

Go on then, who got to sit next to you? ;)

The best goal keeping display I have ever seen was at Everton by Mel Rees. We won 1-0 and Mel was Wales number 2 to Evertons Neville Southall. It didn't matter which corner of the net the ball was heading, one of Mels big hands appeared.

Southall, to his credit clapped every save by his Welsh understudy and put his arm round him as they walked off the pitch together. It really was that good.

Went with Shred to that game, he sorted us a banging pre match in the upstairs at a working mens club in Walton with pie n peas. Brill.

Can one of those with the encylopaedic memories help me with this one - John Fashanu, playing for Millwall I think, scored an absolute peach at the Kop End. Plenty on Shoreham and around me on John Street applauded, it was such a belter. I'd say mid 80s.

I want United to win more than anything, but it's a game of football when all's said and done - if I watch someone do something seriously impressive, no problem with giving them a clap. Though I'd draw the line at Wendy...

Can one of those with the encylopaedic memories help me with this one - John Fashanu, playing for Millwall I think, scored an absolute peach at the Kop End. Plenty on Shoreham and around me on John Street applauded, it was such a belter. I'd say mid 80s.

I want United to win more than anything, but it's a game of football when all's said and done - if I watch someone do something seriously impressive, no problem with giving them a clap. Though I'd draw the line at Wendy...

That might be our 3-1 home defeat against Millwall in 1985-6, when the atmosphere was very rebellious. There was a lot of booing, and towards the end of the second half people were cheering for Millwall and booing United. Fashanu scored 2 I think. Eckhardt's late consolation was greeted with indifference. I also remember someone walking to the front of the South Stand and banging on the dugout roof. Morris missed a penalty too - bad day.

United were also roundly booed at the end of games they won at home over Christmas that season - Fulham and Carlisle. Anyone who thinks the crowd is bad now should have heard what it was like then!

Best keeping display I've ever seen - Alan Kelly in the 1-1 draw at Stoke in 1994-5. Worth missing my train to see.

I wasn't at the Burnley game but Gazza definitely got the ovation against Boro in 1997-8 when he was subbed.

And I've mentioned this before but when Tranmere beat us 2-0 at home at the start of 1995-6 John Aldridge was applauded for his second goal by a lot of Blades fans. He was fantastic that day.

I'm sure I saw the Scunny fans giving Flynniesta a standing ovation as he was substituted. And a 'Mexican Wave' for Baxter's performance.

Or was it just me? :D

Back
Top Bottom