Standing Ovations

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can one of those with the encylopaedic memories help me with this one - John Fashanu, playing for Millwall I think, scored an absolute peach at the Kop End. Plenty on Shoreham and around me on John Street applauded, it was such a belter. I'd say mid 80s.

Yes, as Revolution said, it was Millwall's 2nd goal in their 3-1 win in October 1985. I was a part timer in those years but I remember seeing that goal and the applause afterwards. Attacking the Kop end, Fashanu allowed the ball to bounce in front of him on the left wing, controlled it quickly, went on the inside going past two defenders and from just outside the box , hit a powerful right foot shot that curled round Burridge's stretched arms and into the far post. It was a strange season, a lot of poor displays at home but had big wins at Stoke, Bradford, Oldham and high riding Pompey. Our squad was nicknamed "Dad's Army"

I remember John Mitchell getting applause from Blades fans after his equaliser for Fulham (Woody scored for us with a rocket left foot shot after selling Bobby Moore the dummy) at the Lane in October 1976.

The best goal keeping display I have ever seen was at Everton by Mel Rees. We won 1-0 and Mel was Wales number 2 to Evertons Neville Southall. It didn't matter which corner of the net the ball was heading, one of Mels big hands appeared.

Southall, to his credit clapped every save by his Welsh understudy and put his arm round him as they walked off the pitch together. It really was that good.

The two most memorable goalkeeping displays I can remember were:
United vs Leicester City in the 60's ended as 0-0 thanks to fantastic performances in the goal from 2 local lads, Alan Hodgkinson and Gordon Banks. It was almost a duel between them.

Simon Tracey in a midweek cup match against Charlton Athletic at the Lane that featured united's ex player Simon Webster for the visitors. United played a weakened side against lower league opposition and Charlton played us off the park. We won the match thanks to at least a dozen remarkable saves by Simon. I should add that I didn't particularly rate him before that display.

I believe that all 3 goalies received ovations at the end of the matches

United vs Leicester City in the 60's ended as 0-0 thanks to fantastic performances in the goal from 2 local lads, Alan Hodgkinson and Gordon Banks. It was almost a duel between them.

Simon Tracey in a midweek cup match against Charlton Athletic at the Lane that featured united's ex player Simon Webster for the visitors. United played a weakened side against lower league opposition and Charlton played us off the park. We won the match thanks to at least a dozen remarkable saves by Simon. I should add that I didn't particularly rate him before that display.

Yes Tracey was brilliant especially in the first half of that Charlton replay (the best was a one handed one he caught on the ground from a header.Charlton fans at the Lane end jumped as if they thought the ball had gone in). we attacked about three times but all resulted in 3 goals giving us a big lead at half time. Funnily we played much better in the 2nd half but didnt score and conceded one!

Not sure if you'd call it a standing ovation but TC got a very generous reaction from the Man Utd fans after we lost 2-0 there in 1971. Best scored that famous goal late on but TC was the best player on the pitch until that moment. We were still top of the league after (with Man Utd second).

Andy Linighan, who scored the winning goal for Arsenal v Wendy in the 1993 FA Cup Final replay, got applauded and had his name chanted when he came on as sub against us. I think he was playing for Bristol City?

Andy Linighan, who scored the winning goal for Arsenal v Wendy in the 1993 FA Cup Final replay, got applauded and had his name chanted when he came on as sub against us. I think he was playing for Bristol City?

He came out of the dugout to warm up for Arsenal during in the cup replay in 1996. The Kop and South Stand gave him a standing ovation, and he raised his arms in recognition. It was funny.

Can one of those with the encylopaedic memories help me with this one - John Fashanu, playing for Millwall I think, scored an absolute peach at the Kop End. Plenty on Shoreham and around me on John Street applauded, it was such a belter. I'd say mid 80s.

I want United to win more than anything, but it's a game of football when all's said and done - if I watch someone do something seriously impressive, no problem with giving them a clap. Though I'd draw the line at Wendy...

I remember a Wednesday player being clapped in the 1991 2 nil win at Bramall Lane. The ball went out of play for a goal kick but the only person in the ground who thought it was a corner was the referee. John Sheridan went over to take the corner, put the ball down and tapped it out for a goal kick to United, right in front of the kop. Wednesday were losing at the time so a pretty sporting moment and appreciated by the Blades fans.

On another matter, the finest goalkeeping performance I've ever seen was Mel Rees in a 2 nil win at Goodison Park. Pretty sure the Everton fans showed their appreciation of his efforts.

I mentioned the Everton match earlier but thought it was 1-0. My mistake. I remember Deane having a great game too.

I remember a Wednesday player being clapped in the 1991 2 nil win at Bramall Lane. The ball went out of play for a goal kick but the only person in the ground who thought it was a corner was the referee. John Sheridan went over to take the corner, put the ball down and tapped it out for a goal kick to United, right in front of the kop. Wednesday were losing at the time so a pretty sporting moment and appreciated by the Blades fans.

On another matter, the finest goalkeeping performance I've ever seen was Mel Rees in a 2 nil win at Goodison Park. Pretty sure the Everton fans showed their appreciation of his efforts.

Someone else posted about that Sheridan incident. I think that actually a United player was injured and we had knocked it behind for that reason and Sheridan returned the ball as per normal. Still deserving of appluase but not as altruistic as suggested :)

Someone else posted about that Sheridan incident. I think that actually a United player was injured and we had knocked it behind for that reason and Sheridan returned the ball as per normal. Still deserving of appluase but not as altruistic as suggested :)

On the other hand, when we stuffed them 3-1 in the return fixture, when we put the ball out of play for an injury, they 'returned' it to us by deliberately conceding a throw in about 3cm from our goal line and then challenging for the ball as normal! Returning to the pint about applauding opposition players, I think Chris Woods got a good reception from us at the beginning of that match, while at the final whistle some were nominating him for sainthood :D:D:D

Not sure if you got your games muxed ip but I seem to remember him getting an ovation when he played for Burnley at the Lane towards the end of his career.

I don't think players receive the same affection or respect (if they're the right words) these days and most fans would just boo the likes of Ronaldo or Messi if they played at the Lane (unless Ronaldo misses another sitter like last time :)) You look at the top English players in the last 20 years such as Gerrard and Lampard and there's no way they would get a decent response anywhere other than their home ground.
I remember that JC v Burnley...He was struggling that day,past his best,and we gave him a good ovation as he was subbed off.
Don't know If it counts,but that spontaneous applause,loud and proud for our lads at Wembley v Hull..great moment that.

Steve Conroy v Liverpool when we beat them 1-0.

I remember an interview with, or profile of Ray Clemence. a few years later (away from any United context), he said that was the best goalkeeping performance he'd ever seen.

Gets something of a mention here but posting this just out of general interest.

1978-08-28-sheffutd-1045.jpg

My first away game. We were late (15') and missed the goal which, by the time we got there, was from the halfway line. I think they'd also missed a penalty.
I was late for the game too! My dad always would drive from our house rather late for matches. When we arrived at the ground near kick off all the gates had been locked so my dad and I went to the ticket office saying that we had been travelling from Sheffield etc etc. As they were about to let us through the office to get into the ground (dont think they charged us) my dad heard that we had just scored so we missed Woody's first goal. In the next day watching the highlights of the match on YTV, we realised that we also had missed Tom McAlister's 1st minute penalty save from Charlie George. and then when we saw Woody's first goal in the highlights we were disappointed to have missed that too!

Lost 3-1 i think. I remember applauding it myself. We were dire that night and Millwall got better as the game went. His goal was a run past a couple of players into the box and shot to far corner...????? It was a culmination of a very lively performance from Fashanu that would have made you think he was more a future John Barnes than a George Foreman. (See - finding myself applauding it more memorable than the goal itself).

One of the best displays by a keeper I ever saw was by none other than John Hope. Birmingham, home during the promotion season 70/71.

He pulled off the most incredible save i've ever seen, and so dominated the Blues attack that even when they got a penalty, it was taken with a resigned air of "we've no chance of getting it past this keeper".

He had some memorable performances during that season... then it all fell apart for him the following season.

One of the best displays by a keeper I ever saw was by none other than John Hope. Birmingham, home during the promotion season 70/71.

He pulled off the most incredible save i've ever seen, and so dominated the Blues attack that even when they got a penalty, it was taken with a resigned air of "we've no chance of getting it past this keeper".

He had some memorable performances during that season... then it all fell apart for him the following season.
I remember his full length catch in mid air saving a header from a Birmingham player at the Kop End. Also his diving save from a Gordon Harris shot in the Sunderland game. Thought his best display was in the 0-0 home draw against Norwich who dominated for most of the game. In the following season I wasnt surprised that Norwich won division two convincingly

Back
Top Bottom