Six of the worst - the worst performances I have seen at Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

United 0-2 Sunlan. 1990. Beesley and Rostron. First time I ever left early. Survival felt a million miles away that evening…

Conversely best performances I have seen when we have lost

Number 1

Scunthorpe 0-4 at home we were like a mix of Brazil 70 and France 98 don't be fooled by the result.
I felt the same. We battered them but just couldn't score and they somehow put away theirs. I remember leaving the ground confused wondering how we lost that, as it was a good game to watch and we by far the better team and the score should've been the reverse. A very strange match. It's rare I walk away from a 4-0 home loss not angry.

That said Forest away in the FA Cup in 03/04 was the reverse. Forest battered us and Andy Reid single handedly tore us apart time and time again. All the talk that day before the match was that Jags had been sold to Charlton or West Ham. We won 3-0 and who knows how. Cries of "Dezzy, give us a goal" kept ringing round everytime we got a corner. Then the greatest moment. The ball comes in, it's struck with a bicycle kick and smashes into the net. Travelling Blades went wild until they realised that it was Chris Morgan. Then around the crowd you could hear loads of confused voices asking "Morgan!?!" followed by laughter.

My worst 5

United 0 Newcastle 8

In the words of Roygbiv - "eight nil!!!".

United 0 Burton Albion 1

The Adkins game that had zero fight, zero intent, zero belief and zero attacks. Against Burton. The biggest none performance ever. It's like we were shadow boxing.

United 2 Shrewsbury 4

Ye god's.

United 1 Port Vale 3

Me and 250,000 others saw the nadir under Heath and that Kozluck cross into Row AB.

United 1 Bournemouth 3

Could and should have been about 7 against a team we beat this time last season. Depressing nonsense.

So already as many games from this season as the Adkins one. FFS.
Not last season but the season before

Preston H 0-1 13/14

Peak David Weir. Dull negative football and we didn’t create a chance all day, Fabian Brandy got himself sent off and to add a bit of added flavour, some fuckwit at the club has sanctioned the signing of Marlon King

You say didn't create a chance but I remember one game (couldn't swear it was this one) where Brandy missed an absolute sitter at 0-0, we conceded straight after, the he was sent off for a horrible tackle minutes later. It's almost like he has money on the opposition that day.

I felt the same. We battered them but just couldn't score and they somehow put away theirs. I remember leaving the ground confused wondering how we lost that, as it was a good game to watch and we by far the better team and the score should've been the reverse. A very strange match. It's rare I walk away from a 4-0 home loss not angry.

That said Forest away in the FA Cup in 03/04 was the reverse. Forest battered us and Andy Reid single handedly tore us apart time and time again. All the talk that day before the match was that Jags had been sold to Charlton or West Ham. We won 3-0 and who knows how. Cries of "Dezzy, give us a goal" kept ringing round everytime we got a corner. Then the greatest moment. The ball comes in, it's struck with a bicycle kick and smashes into the net. Travelling Blades went wild until they realised that it was Chris Morgan. Then around the crowd you could hear loads of confused voices asking "Morgan!?!" followed by laughter.

I mentioned that Morgan goal just yesterday after Garnacho's goal yesterday when we were trying to remember United bicycle/overhead kicks.

You say didn't create a chance but I remember one game (couldn't swear it was this one) where Brandy missed an absolute sitter at 0-0, we conceded straight after, the he was sent off for a horrible tackle minutes later. It's almost like he has money on the opposition that day.
Was that Shrewsbury away when we lost 2-0?

Bramall lane .
70s we lost to arsenal at home 0_5
Then Bolton a week or two later 0_5
Newcastle was awful and I fear another one coming as we have a weak manager.
We also lost to Middlesbrough 3 years running at the lane.
The worst ever performance I've seen the blades was away at Middlesbrough the 6_0 defeat . Boro had a brilliant side but we had no fight in anyway same as man City 6_0 defeat .
As a club we are traditionally the underdogs but have managers who put fight in the players, we could easily attract 40k home support if any potential buyer sees our loyal support after 100 years of no major success .

Looks like Brandy got sent off twice in his half season with us (missing seven games!) so it's probably one at home, one away.

Imagine playing 15 times and missing seven through suspension.

United 0 Burton Albion 1

This one should be on everyone’s list. It was worse than anything else I’ve ever seen because our players (overtly) didn’t give a toss. They simply did not want to be on the pitch and compete against limited but competent opponents. A genuine disgrace.

The 8-0 will never be forgotten, but that was about a mental collapse against wildly superior opponents. 0-1 to Burton was down to a squad that was utterly poisonous.

Bramall lane .
70s we lost to arsenal at home 0_5
Then Bolton a week or two later 0_5
Newcastle was awful and I fear another one coming as we have a weak manager.
We also lost to Middlesbrough 3 years running at the lane.
The worst ever performance I've seen the blades was away at Middlesbrough the 6_0 defeat . Boro had a brilliant side but we had no fight in anyway same as man City 6_0 defeat .
As a club we are traditionally the underdogs but have managers who put fight in the players, we could easily attract 40k home support if any potential buyer sees our loyal support after 100 years of no major success .
Yep Boro was the worse, even utd players watching in away end left with 30 mins to go roughly..

barnet in the fa cup was terrible

Hartlepool in JPT, when the final 20 mins were like a morgue, similar to saturday only difference under david weir was away fans sang sacked in the morning & we joined in

losing to fleetwood at home

Burton albon was embarrassing. they barely broke a sweat

reading someone else mentioned southend 3-0 in 15 mins, brought back memories closest ive seen to near riot at the lane

the worst for mr was Shrewsbury. it was lowest point of adkins we'd made a midtable team look untouchable. you think there front 3 was messi villa henry. that incredible barca team. we couldve lost 7-2 & we couldn't complain

Last edited:
Totally unimportant game, but remember travelling 50 miles to see us get battered by Stockport in the League cup some years back.

Sure we were about 4 down in 30 mins, or felt like it!

In terms of the result , the 0-3 home result against Southend was the one that stands out for me and particularly the fact that this was the score after less than 20 minutes into the game .

In terms of performances , I struggle to think of any others in which we were as inept and embarrassing as the one we produced against Bournemouth on Saturday , when we managed to make the team with the worst away record in the league look as if they were up against High Green Villa on a bad day .

In terms of the result , the 0-3 home result against Southend was the one that stands out for me and particularly the fact that this was the score after less than 20 minutes into the game .

In terms of performances , I struggle to think of any others in which we were as inept and embarrassing as the one we produced against Bournemouth on Saturday , when we managed to make the team with the worst away record in the league look as if they were up against High Green Villa on a bad day .
Yup

It really will take some beating….

For many years I have said that the single worst Blades performance I have ever seen was the 0-5 defeat v Oldham. We were embarrassingly bad.

I have thought long and hard as to whether the Newcastle defeat was worse. I have decided they are a tie.
Took my grandad - a life long Blade - to that match v Oldham .

Was the last match he attended

Just wait for next week, when we take on the team with the worst home record in the league....

Bit of a niche one, and a bit of a nothing game, but Hull (A) in 17/18 the players looked off their heads drunk. Must’ve been one of the lowest pass-completion performances of all time. Hull were bad but we were unbelievably awful.
Not just Hull. Nigel Adkins’ Hull. Live on Sky

Last edited:
Totally unimportant game, but remember travelling 50 miles to see us get battered by Stockport in the League cup some years back.

Sure we were about 4 down in 30 mins, or felt like it!
I was there!! United were awful, especially David White. Pretty sure it was 2-1. I remember Vonk trying to gee up the away fans at one point. Didn’t go well 😂 Also think that was the year we lost the 2nd leg 2-5 at home.

7-3 on aggregate. Kevin Francis was tall and Alun Armstrong was good. But 7-3!!

I’ll never forget that match , you’re 100% right about the Morgan disbelief!! people laugh when I say andy Reid was one of the best performances I’ve seen live, but he was immense that day!!

Oh and I also thought Forte was going to play for England after that game….🙈

Back
Top Bottom