My Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Another keystone game for us today and very much the set of results to complement a dogged win that we deserved. This season's 'Basham Arriving' moment came from little feller McAtee who is showing this gathering propensity to sprinkle the right ingredients at the right time. Hecky didn't change much since Blackburn in the cup and why should he? To that end what we displayed out there was a demonstration of how to make a potential 3-0 reverse with us under the cosh from a substandard Norwich side in front of a big crowd into a well-fought and well-defended win. Luton and Boro have enough airgap now and if we capitalise on our game in hand, what appeared to be our bottle-job moment could actually be our moment when we show what we are really about. We lacked in areas today however but still managed to cover across to make up for it. So pleased for the club tonight. 01 April 2023 could be when we were actually promoted figuratively. All we have to do now is be consistent and difficult to beat. Hate to say this but as much as a odd-defying win v Citeh might be everyone's priority, I still think promotion is where it is at.

The game started with us both picking distanced and ineffective jabs at each other. I must say though that Norwich are where they are because of today's display, where we looked by far the tidier, more composed team. They were untidy, wasteful and disconnected and looked a pale facsimile of the team we have locked horns with in the past five or so years. They looked vulnerable from set pieces and didn't like our right hand side and spent a lot of time shithousing their way through the game. They did have better purchase down their right where a below par Lowe (for much of the game) Berge and Robinson lay. But even then they just couldn't get a foothold. Second half we looked better up until the goal and game managed effectively after that. We replaced the entire midfield by the final whistle understandably so with McAtee and Doyle who'd run themselves into liquid but moreso for Berge who was, once again, bobbar.

Foderingham 7/10: Some key saves and catches, and timely gatherings when needed late on.
Baldock 7/10: Loses half a mark for his aggressive silliness at times. Just channel it into your football, George, FFS!
Anel 7.5/10: Good work from him today. Although their front two were a patent threat, both he and the other centrebacks marshalled them well. Unlucky to hit the bar with his header
Egan 7.5/10: A better performance from him with some key challenges, headers and interceptions to keep Puuki muzzled
Robinson 7/10: Characteristic grit and channelled focus as ever. Almost cost us the game late on though
Lowe 6/10: Poor first half where he looked way below this level but s witched on in the second
Berge 4/10: Still not delivering. Started okay and became more involved but all he does is drift round the midfield with no penetration. We need more, much more. And that fucking free header? It sailed over and you could almost see him thinking 'Oh no, I have to head this!' I intercepted a driven cross at seven a side on Tuesday which was more like a shot. Brace yourself, your neck muscles and shoulder muscles and set your balance and punch through the fucking ball in the direction you want it to go using your forehead as a fist, for fuck's sake. Its no big fucking deal Sander. He should have scored that.
Doyle 8/10: Covered shitloads of grass. He is, to me, a far better central midfielder than Norwood. Played together they could be the solution with a ball carrying number ten in front. Ran every ounce of sweat out of him today
McAtee 7.5/10: A few errors but he grew into the game somewhat and was threatening enough to get his goal - onside - so big up to him
NDaiye 7/10: Dazzling, bamboozling stuff and double marked for most of the game. Still our only threat for most of the games we play and still short of killer passes and opportunities the likes of Berge should be giving him
McBurnie 5/10: Not because he played poor, he was just bereft of chances. Great defensive duties and mixing it up in his own way

Norwood 6/10: Had to come off as Doyle was spent but added some intelligence in game management
Sharp 7/10: Gets a whole point for that strike on goal. Also grafted well up front with his usual free kick winning ways
Fleck 5/10: Energetic five minutes from Flecky at his uncle's old club
Basham (unmarked)

The finish line is in sight now. Even if we get shat out at Wembley by what seemed to be a light-blue Barcelona of ten years ago, we must not falter in this crucial time. If we drop points we must regain them. We have to get what we deserve now, and dedicate it to Ozzy as well.

pommpey

Another keystone game for us today and very much the set of results to complement a dogged win that we deserved. This season's 'Basham Arriving' moment came from little feller McAtee who is showing this gathering propensity to sprinkle the right ingredients at the right time. Hecky didn't change much since Blackburn in the cup and why should he? To that end what we displayed out there was a demonstration of how to make a potential 3-0 reverse with us under the cosh from a substandard Norwich side in front of a big crowd into a well-fought and well-defended win. Luton and Boro have enough airgap now and if we capitalise on our game in hand, what appeared to be our bottle-job moment could actually be our moment when we show what we are really about. We lacked in areas today however but still managed to cover across to make up for it. So pleased for the club tonight. 01 April 2023 could be when we were actually promoted figuratively. All we have to do now is be consistent and difficult to beat. Hate to say this but as much as a odd-defying win v Citeh might be everyone's priority, I still think promotion is where it is at.

The game started with us both picking distanced and ineffective jabs at each other. I must say though that Norwich are where they are because of today's display, where we looked by far the tidier, more composed team. They were untidy, wasteful and disconnected and looked a pale facsimile of the team we have locked horns with in the past five or so years. They looked vulnerable from set pieces and didn't like our right hand side and spent a lot of time shithousing their way through the game. They did have better purchase down their right where a below par Lowe (for much of the game) Berge and Robinson lay. But even then they just couldn't get a foothold. Second half we looked better up until the goal and game managed effectively after that. We replaced the entire midfield by the final whistle understandably so with McAtee and Doyle who'd run themselves into liquid but moreso for Berge who was, once again, bobbar.

Foderingham 7/10: Some key saves and catches, and timely gatherings when needed late on.
Baldock 7/10: Loses half a mark for his aggressive silliness at times. Just channel it into your football, George, FFS!
Anel 7.5/10: Good work from him today. Although their front two were a patent threat, both he and the other centrebacks marshalled them well. Unlucky to hit the bar with his header
Egan 7.5/10: A better performance from him with some key challenges, headers and interceptions to keep Puuki muzzled
Robinson 7/10: Characteristic grit and channelled focus as ever. Almost cost us the game late on though
Lowe 6/10: Poor first half where he looked way below this level but s witched on in the second
Berge 4/10: Still not delivering. Started okay and became more involved but all he does is drift round the midfield with no penetration. We need more, much more. And that fucking free header? It sailed over and you could almost see him thinking 'Oh no, I have to head this!' I intercepted a driven cross at seven a side on Tuesday which was more like a shot. Brace yourself, your neck muscles and shoulder muscles and set your balance and punch through the fucking ball in the direction you want it to go using your forehead as a fist, for fuck's sake. Its no big fucking deal Sander. He should have scored that.
Doyle 8/10: Covered shitloads of grass. He is, to me, a far better central midfielder than Norwood. Played together they could be the solution with a ball carrying number ten in front. Ran every ounce of sweat out of him today
McAtee 7.5/10: A few errors but he grew into the game somewhat and was threatening enough to get his goal - onside - so big up to him
NDaiye 7/10: Dazzling, bamboozling stuff and double marked for most of the game. Still our only threat for most of the games we play and still short of killer passes and opportunities the likes of Berge should be giving him
McBurnie 5/10: Not because he played poor, he was just bereft of chances. Great defensive duties and mixing it up in his own way

Norwood 6/10: Had to come off as Doyle was spent but added some intelligence in game management
Sharp 7/10: Gets a whole point for that strike on goal. Also grafted well up front with his usual free kick winning ways
Basham (unmarked)

The finish line is in sight now. Even if we get shat out at Wembley by what seemed to be a light-blue Barcelona of ten years ago, we must not falter in this crucial time. If we drop points we must regain them. We have to get what we deserve now, and dedicate it to Ozzy as well.

pommpey
An all round 'aye', other than Egan 8.5 and MoM but that's because I can't imagine life without him.

Thought Doyle was about a 6.5 . Did some crap long passing

Without masses of TV cameras Norwich's fans would still be convinced now - most probably still are - that McAtee was offside, and they'd been robbed. So was I on the first few replays till they found they had a camera that was actually level with play.

But left to their own devices, without the twats in kits in the control room, linesmen usually get these decisions right anyway. or so nearly right that it's practically impossible to call.

Anyway, it's been a very good day results-wise. I hope everyone remembers that the next time we get a little setback.

Thought Furious was bang on to be honest. He got into the cheating bastards, didn't let them settle and if owt, he's at his best when he's snippy.

Wes only had two saves to make, one from the low cross that he spilled, one from the shot at the end that on another day would have bounced off him. Did great on crosses mind.

Berge I've given up on. He's going to get picked by the gaffer, he's going to have the odd mazy dribble, he'll hide a lot so just accept it. He'll never make a top player, he doesn't have the heart or the fire in his belly.

I never thought I'd be baying for RND but Max Lowe is a liability. His positional awareness is akin to a school kid, he can't read situations, set himself and is just a really poor footballer.

Apart from that, we were better than them and deserved the win. We grafted, kept trying to get forward and we stayed on our feet more. Always nice to get one over them twats, a despicable excuse for a football team.

I can only follow it through BBC Radio Sheffield. Did McBurnie and Ndiaye do too much defending or not?

Great win even better Boro lost a six-point gap with a game in hand. next up Wigan -home for us. Boro go to Burnley. Luton go to Millwall. We could be nine points in front of both by 10 pm on Good Friday.Great report Pommpey.

Berge patrolling midfield defensively,first time being subbed before 85th unless injured. Blinded by ball at feet,lost the ball once high up,rest lost it numerous times down low(midfield) . Statistics never lie. Hecky knows,pompey may not.

Robinson for me drops .5 a point for no trade mark busting slide tackle.

(Unless it happened when I went for a pee/drink/doritos)

Norwich were awfully, actually shocked how poor they were
Egan and the defence excellent today, Lowe passing poor at times
Glad to have it confirmed the goal was definitely on side
Great day for us, 5 more wins and it’s done, on to Wigan

Basham (unmarked)

pommpey
Thanks pommpey . I didn't see it so great to get a perspective. Couldn't agree more with your last line. Blackadder 4ish, it touched the heart!

No one on that pitch deserves a 4 out of ten

Okay, fine. Explain why Berge deserved better. Summat wrong with you?

Give us detail how busy he was and how much he knitted that midfield together. How unlucky he was with his unchallenged header as opposed to Anels which was practically 45 degrees to the ground backwards where he still struck the bar with power.

You can't can you? Berge is bobbar. Admit it finally and purge your soul.

pommpey

Okay, fine. Explain why Berge deserved better. Summat wrong with you?

Give us detail how busy he was and how much he knitted that midfield together. How unlucky he was with his unchallenged header as opposed to Anels which was practically 45 degrees to the ground backwards where he still struck the bar with power.

You can't can you? Berge is bobbar. Admit it finally and purge your soul.

pommpey

OK, I'll give you Max Lowe. Not much of a defence I know (Lowe's not much of a defender though), but if anybody on that team warranted a four, it was him. Berge blobbed the header, had his usual blowing out of his arse moments and wasn't great, but he was nowt like the worst player on the pitch.

Today was a game where nobody shone, nobody bar Lowe was shite, and hard work more than silly skills won the day. I'd have gone 6 for most of them, 7 for a couple and 4 for Lowe.

Back
Top Bottom