National anthem?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Arise President Blair 😁
Another honour to add to the totally normal Knight of the garter the Queen bestowed upon him ( along with some sort of double knighthood)

Attachments

• 59035281-10913597-Tony_Blair_had_to_wait_until_after_the_death_of_Prince_Philip_to-m-108_16551...jpg
    59035281-10913597-Tony_Blair_had_to_wait_until_after_the_death_of_Prince_Philip_to-m-108_16551...jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
Surely you don't agree with absolutely everything that the majority seem to agree with. More people support Manchester United than Sheffield United. We're allowed to disagree with the majority, that's the deal.
You are allowed to disagree with the majority but Manchester United supporters are not the majority.

Imagine if King Charles had said - I am grieving for my Mum, and I know many, many people in the country are as well. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for that. However, The Royal Family do not want the Queen's passing to interfere & disrupt your lives & enjoyment. This will be a joyous time, a time to celebrate life. Don't wear black. Wear your best blue hat and go to the races, that's what my Mum would want. Sure, on the actual day of the funeral, things will be different. A time for thanks & reflection. But, until then, please don't cancel events, keep the theatres open, keep the football grounds open, keep everything going. The Royal Family are here to make things happen, not to stop them.

My King that...
Imagine football fans being bereft because they miss 90 minutes of a game because a nations monarch has died?

You are allowed to disagree with the majority but Manchester United supporters are not the majority.
Are you saying they're a minority? I think you're allowed to disagree with a minority as well.

Or, is it the hat thing again?

Are you saying they're a minority? I think you're allowed to disagree with a minority as well.

Or, is it the hat thing again?
They are the best supported club. Their support is not more than half of all supporters of all the clubs. Therefore, they are not the majority in terms of all supporters. And you are allowed to disagree with anyone.

My own inclination is Republican. I'm willing to bet I've been to more football matches where the National Anthem has been played than other posters. I have an understanding of, and some sympathy for, the Constitutional Monarchy argument. It is possible to be both respectful to the memory of the Queen and to clearly state that some aspects of the Monarchy are, of themselves, fucking absurd. All the names & titles & the swan thing & the hats.for eg.

I would argue that many monarchists and royalists wouldn't miss all the names & titles & swans & hats. They'd still be proud monarchists without the hats. And, Republicans like me would be more inclined to the Royal Family if we could make a start in getting rid of the absurd stuff.

Some of the Chelsea CBF I shoot the breeze with went straight from the Champions League game v Salzburg to the Coffin Queue. Got there at 2245, arrived at the Coffin at 0800.

My own inclination is Republican. I'm willing to bet I've been to more football matches where the National Anthem has been played than other posters. I have an understanding of, and some sympathy for, the Constitutional Monarchy argument. It is possible to be both respectful to the memory of the Queen and to clearly state that some aspects of the Monarchy are, of themselves, fucking absurd. All the names & titles & the swan thing & the hats.for eg.

I would argue that many monarchists and royalists wouldn't miss all the names & titles & swans & hats. They'd still be proud monarchists without the hats. And, Republicans like me would be more inclined to the Royal Family if we could make a start in getting rid of the absurd stuff.

I'd do away with national anthems before International matches for a start.

It's the hats that get to me. Big fucking metal ones with jewels stolen off Indians. Pirate ones with big fuck off feather displays. Ones that need three bears to be killed to get one hat. Brims, peaks, pointy bits. Jaunty angles. Ones that mean you can't basically see. Ermine (no, me either). They've just gone fucking mad with hats. Does even the most bowy Royalist really feel we need so many ludicrous hats. What do the hats add?

Seriously, fewer hats and that made up 71% stat could easily rise to 74%.

They've even got one of her hats on the coffin. In which world does a coffin need a hat?
It's the hats that really do it for me tbh.

Especially the pillaged treasures dangling off them.

Gaudy, but powerful. You know.

Unless the PM was trying to seize power for himself and create a dictatorship then there was no need to act. Being a lying bastard isn't a reason to do it, otherwise there would never be any politicians.
So yeah, it's a moot point.
How do you think seizing power starts? Small infractions are ignored and over time they grow into major ones which are then also ignored.

Official stats:

*70% of the British public support keeping the monarchy (including me, albeit I hate forced mourning - reminds me a bit of the pointless forced face nappy wearing during covid etc).

*15% are new / fresh-ish people to the country don’t care.

*15% hate the monarchy however scientific research proves they also hate lots of other things within their sad, negative, pathetic existence.

Let’s hope the overwhelming (mostly silent) majority keep our traditions for 2p per year per person & stop the woke, the bitter or the Celtic republican wannabe bed wetters.

Long live the king!

(Which will hopefully be Will following abdication in a couple of years).

Official stats:

*70% of the British public support keeping the monarchy (including me, albeit I hate forced mourning - reminds me a bit of the pointless forced face nappy wearing during covid etc).

*15% hate the monarchy however scientific research proves they also hate lots of other things within their sad, negative, pathetic existence.

Let’s hope the overwhelming (mostly silent) majority keep our traditions for 2p per year per person & stop the woke, the bitter or the Celtic republican wannabe bed wetters.

Long live the king!

Apart from the last bit a real zinger of a post.

Long to reign over us etc though probs keeping the seat warm due to age.

Absolutely agree. The head of the elected government is the head of state in many countries (France USA, Germany etc.)
Germany has a president who is head of state and represents them at state occasions like our monarch. The chancellor is head of government like our pm.

Absolutely. Ridiculous pantomime.
The teams represent their country and it subsequently makes sense to play the countries national anthem.
I suppose they could just turn up, shake hands and get on with it, but it is an occasion and is subsequently celebrated as such in very much the same way as the national anthem is played at every major sporting and large event.

The teams represent their country and it subsequently makes sense to play the countries national anthem.
I suppose they could just turn up, shake hands and get on with it, but it is an occasion and is subsequently celebrated as such in very much the same way as the national anthem is played at every major sporting and large event.
Yes. As I said. All part of the pantomime. Don't get me wrong. I'm a willing participant. I don't sing our National Anthem any more because of the absurd reasons I've covered. But, I'll be loud & proud next week in the San Siro booing the Italian Anthem to the rafters. Pure pantomime.

The Welsh wanted a Prince who was born in Wales who spoke no English, so Edward made his infant son Prince. Top quality shithousing in my view.
The Welsh flag only dates from the 1950s, so isn't included on the Union Jack. The Union flag consists of the flags of Ireland, Scotland and England. Wales was considered an integral part of England by that time. I believe Wales has never been an independent country.
Wales is treated as a principality, not a ‘country’.
There is a Welsh flag, which I believe is yellow and black. A yellow X on a black background.
When I was a cub, many, many years ago, we were told, incorrectly, that the Welsh flag was blue and white, actually the flag of the church of Wales.
I take it that the flag you are referring to is the dragon on the green and white.

Step by Step. Let's start with...
Removing all constitutional responsibilities from the monarchy, make it purely ceremonial, pageantry, please the tourists stuff.
Reduce the symbolism, get them off the stamps & pound coins.
Get all the land & buildings into public ownership. Let them live in them rent free if it helps.
Cut the funding to a threadbare level. The deal is they dig deep into their own inherited, personal wealth. Once that's spent, we'll sit down and work with them from there.

I'm a proud republican. I don't want them dead, I don't want the palaces blown up. I just don't want them involved in decision making. I don't want the pointless theatre of them inviting an elected member of parliament to form a government (for eg).

Let them prance around on horses & wear daft hats if they still want all that shit. I'm more neutralise the monarchy than abolish it.

Oh. And I am aware none of that is going to happen.
Excellent post.
I would be more than happy if these royals simply behaved like their relatives in Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Belgium.
Hey should step out of the limelight, put an end to the soap opera that perpetuates them and become, basically, irrelevant.
That might be a little easier to achieve than than becoming a republic.
However, that is not going to happen.
They like the wealth, power, privilege and their obvious superiority to do that.
Maybe this overkill over the last week and the increasing wall to wall coverage might just turn more and more off.
One can hope.
I also hope we, Blades that is, get into Europe.

Royalist in not understanding monarch's commitment vow shocker. Do keep up.

It aint unusual. The amount of people who figure Charles, waiting effectively thirty years to wear the crown, would apropos of nothing abdicate is preposterous. Whilst it is evident he isn't going to be a popular monarch with his lukewarm wife and his son and daughter in law are aceing the public facing schtick, constitutionally he won't be able to ditch his role even if he wanted to, without a concrete reason. It would destroy the monarchy anyway, and he knows that.

The grisly old fucker is here to stay. We need to get used to him and his ways.

pommpey

Excellent post.
I would be more than happy if these royals simply behaved like their relatives in Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Belgium.
Hey should step out of the limelight, put an end to the soap opera that perpetuates them and become, basically, irrelevant.
That might be a little easier to achieve than than becoming a republic.
However, that is not going to happen.
They like the wealth, power, privilege and their obvious superiority to do that.
Maybe this overkill over the last week and the increasing wall to wall coverage might just turn more and more off.
One can hope.
I also hope we, Blades that is, get into Europe.
Do you really think the press and paps would let them drop out of the limelight?
Plus there’s only a few of you want them to do that!

Reactions: SWB
Official stats:

Long live the king!

Or some facts, if people are interested.
Some interesting stuff on age (as you'd imagine, the giffers love it, us youths not so much). The old folk support them, and strongly. The younger generations support is lower along with the strength of feeling.

I would never sing our National Anthem for a couple of reasons. The first line contains a reference to 2 anachronisms I don't believe in. But also it's the dreariest fuckin' dirge ever written! Listen to the Italian or French Anthem. I'd be boppin' on my toes to either of those tunes. Come on Brits, let's get a better tune. Even one of those African tunes where it sounds like they're banging a load of pots and pans together would be better......

Back
Top Bottom