National anthem?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You don't need to replace anything. The simple history of monarchy is they have & will continue to have less power. They literally used to reign, what they said went. That's absurd to the modern monarchy. Just let them drift into a self funded tourist attraction.
I’m a bit of a fence sitter. I had a job once where I swore an oath to the queen, did it change how I viewed the job or did it? No. Did it feel special? Yes but not for that reason but because I felt it was an important job. Could the queen have sacked me? Well no she couldn’t, well maybe could in theory but after all she didn’t know who I was or even the job I was doing so she wasn’t likely to care really.
I am very much someone that believes success should be earnt not inherited but frankly where in the world does that happen?
Some of my nervousness about change like that comes from looking at presidents elsewhere if we go down that route. They seem to me to be either power hungry nut jobs or completely anonymous to such an extent that even people in their own country can’t name them. The first should be avoided at all costs and the second well what’s the point? You’d still have to fund them staff them house them etc. but in hell would pay to see any of that.
What’s the relationship between monarchs and government elsewhere I genuinely don’t know? I presume constitutional monarchy is essentially the same everywhere is it? How big are moves to get shut elsewhere?
Start with reforms of the House of Lords as a first step for me.
All that said as it stands none of that is very likely is it?

My view of the Welsh is that they don’t like anyone!
Once stayed in a b&b above a pub in Blackwood near Cardiff and I was first down after a change and shower into the bar and everyone was talking in English, the rest of our party came down and when it became obvious we wasn’t local like flicking a switch they started talking in Welsh and the atmosphere wasn’t great at all.

It’s them that’s the problem , they don’t want to mix or know anyone else!

That's a regular occurrence in parts of Wales, happened to us a few times.

Funniest was when we stayed above a pub in Newport before the PO final. My mate was a regional manager for the brewery hence why we got the rooms at short notice.

Not only did the locals treat us like shit for being English, but the staff too. The latter regretted it after some occupational feedback a few days later 🙂

I’m a bit of a fence sitter. I had a job once where I swore an oath to the queen, did it change how I viewed the job or did it? No. Did it feel special? Yes but not for that reason but because I felt it was an important job. Could the queen have sacked me? Well no she couldn’t, well maybe could in theory but after all she didn’t know who I was or even the job I was doing so she wasn’t likely to care really.
I am very much someone that believes success should be earnt not inherited but frankly where in the world does that happen?
Some of my nervousness about change like that comes from looking at presidents elsewhere if we go down that route. They seem to me to be either power hungry nut jobs or completely anonymous to such an extent that even people in their own country can’t name them. The first should be avoided at all costs and the second well what’s the point? You’d still have to fund them staff them house them etc. but in hell would pay to see any of that.
What’s the relationship between monarchs and government elsewhere I genuinely don’t know? I presume constitutional monarchy is essentially the same everywhere is it? How big are moves to get shut elsewhere?
Start with reforms of the House of Lords as a first step for me.
All that said as it stands none of that is very likely is it?
Like Biden , Trump , Bush and a whole host of goofballs “earned it” ?

The last poll had it 71% in favour of the monarchy so it’s a moot point anyway!

You don't need to replace anything. The simple history of monarchy is they have & will continue to have less power. They literally used to reign, what they said went. That's absurd to the modern monarchy. Just let them drift into a self funded tourist attraction.

Bit like Cleethorpes?

The debate always seems boom or bust. Leave it exactly as it is, or scrap the whole thing and start again with something else. Monarchies have relinquished powers and property for centuries and will continue to do so. If I understood the story correctly (on the BBC), The Queen approached Harold Wilson and explained she was uncomfortable owning The Palace Of Westminster (shorthand - Houses of Parliament).

She felt as the seat of Democratic Government, it should be owned by the people, not by her. So (shorthand again) she gave it to Wilson. In my lifetime that. We/they have little to fear by reducing their power, influence, symbolism, wealth.

Imagine if King Charles had said - now, on my accession to the throne it is time to remodel the monarchy, as such, the lands & wealth of the Duchy of Cornwall will rightfully pass to the people and not to my son & heir whatshisname.

My King that....

Could be a subjective point and I've no military connections at all but I would have thought that history and tradition would be more important to the military than the rest of us who depend on them for our security and freedom.

Surely a King carries more weight as a rallying point than a prime minister or a president in battle?

Can't imagine our troops gladly going to their deaths for Liz Truss, I just can't.

Imagine if King Charles had said - I am grieving for my Mum, and I know many, many people in the country are as well. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for that. However, The Royal Family do not want the Queen's passing to interfere & disrupt your lives & enjoyment. This will be a joyous time, a time to celebrate life. Don't wear black. Wear your best blue hat and go to the races, that's what my Mum would want. Sure, on the actual day of the funeral, things will be different. A time for thanks & reflection. But, until then, please don't cancel events, keep the theatres open, keep the football grounds open, keep everything going. The Royal Family are here to make things happen, not to stop them.

My King that...

My view of the Welsh is that they don’t like anyone!
Once stayed in a b&b above a pub in Blackwood near Cardiff and I was first down after a change and shower into the bar and everyone was talking in English, the rest of our party came down and when it became obvious we wasn’t local like flicking a switch they started talking in Welsh and the atmosphere wasn’t great at all.

It’s them that’s the problem , they don’t want to mix or know anyone else!
I've experienced that shit in Conwy from the ignorant bastards, went in a pub as soon as I asked for a pint they all started talking Welsh in the pub just down the road the locals were sound. But yeah the Welsh on the whole hate everyone are always moaning and think they are hard done to.

Basically the Welsh are unaware we English don't have our own national anthem unlike themselves and Scotland so see GSTK as ours.

Personally I wish we had our own. I always think of myself as English not British.
I always think of myself as British, not English, I don’t really feel an affinity with the English flag but I do with the Union Jack. When it comes to international football I am as interested in how Wales and Scotland get on as much as I am England. In fact I am quite apathetic towards England playing, if I’m honest.

I've experienced that shit in Conwy from the ignorant bastards, went in a pub as soon as I asked for a pint they all started talking Welsh in the pub just down the road the locals were sound. But yeah the Welsh on the whole hate everyone are always moaning and think they are hard done to.
Learn some Welsh then, Butty Bach

I haven't read this thread from top to toe but for those who are interested, it seems that for the year 2021-22 the cost to the taxpayer of subsidising the royal family was £102.4m The Queen's estimated net worth is £365m, which I assume will be inherited by Charles.

I haven't read this thread from top to toe but for those who are interested, it seems that for the year 2021-22 the cost to the taxpayer of subsidising the royal family was £102.4m The Queen's estimated net worth is £365m, which I assume will be inherited by Charles.

In fairness, that'll probably only just meet their energy costs.

So between 3 and 4p a week each then.

In fairness, that'll probably only just meet their energy costs.
Which, if true, might suggest that they should, like the rest of the population, prioritise what's essential and what isn't.

Although not a monarchist, and having read some of the correspondence on here on the perceived 'value' of having a monarch, I've so far chosen not to become involved in what predictably has become a 'for or against' exchange. Some of the arguments put forward for the continuation of a monarch have strayed into red-top exaggeration as if this constitutes the basis for an informed and helpful discussion.

It's an often murky topic not helped by an apparent need to enter into a blinkered infantilism where support for the idea of monarchy is concerned.
I'd prefer to leave this level of discourse to those who appear to regard their historical myopia as some sort of necessary educator rather than the sometimes unhelpful and emotive reasons meant to support their arguments.

As I say, I'd prefer not to get bogged down in the arguments for and against the abolition/retention of a monarchy. I happen to think that there are more vital and worthwhile social issues that are worthy of discussion, so let those who consider their support for monarchy remain as it seems to satisfy a primal need to be ruled.

Which, if true, might suggest that they should, like the rest of the population, prioritise what's essential and what isn't.

Although not a monarchist, and having read some of the correspondence on here on the perceived 'value' of having a monarch, I've so far chosen not to become involved in what predictably has become a 'for or against' exchange. Some of the arguments put forward for the continuation of a monarch have strayed into red-top exaggeration as if this constitutes the basis for an informed and helpful discussion.

It's an often murky topic not helped by an apparent need to enter into a blinkered infantilism where support for the idea of monarchy is concerned.
I'd prefer to leave this level of discourse to those who appear to regard their historical myopia as some sort of necessary educator rather than the sometimes unhelpful and emotive reasons meant to support their arguments.

As I say, I'd prefer not to get bogged down in the arguments for and against the abolition/retention of a monarchy. I happen to think that there are more vital and worthwhile social issues that are worthy of discussion, so let those who consider their support for monarchy remain as it seems to satisfy a primal need to be ruled.

It's inevitable that the question will be asked when a long serving monarch has passed away. The late Queen will be consigned to history on Monday and the focus will shift back to the cost of living, Ukraine etc...

The revenue generated from the Crown estate (£3bn over the last 10 years) is paid to the treasury and then a %age returned as a sovereign grant, so realistically they don't cost the tax payer anything.

The revenue generated from the Crown estate (£3bn over the last 10 years) is paid to the treasury and then a %age returned as a sovereign grant, so realistically they don't cost the tax payer anything.
Then presumably the revenue generated by this estate should suffice when it comes to bankrolling the royals? No need to dip into already stretched public funds, uh?

Then presumably the revenue generated by this estate should suffice when it comes to bankrolling the royals? No need to dip into already stretched public funds, uh?

They pay £300m in and get £100m back out. So the public funds are +200m

It's inevitable that the question will be asked when a long serving monarch has passed away. The late Queen will be consigned to history on Monday and the focus will shift back to the cost of living, Ukraine etc...
Until the Prince Harry book, coronation, Prince Andrew drama etc etc etc.

Sufficient it seems to subsidise the royals without asking for further help then.

They don't ask for further help over and above the grant do they? They're effectively a fixed cost asset.

They don't ask for further help over and above the grant do they? They're effectively a fixed cost asset.
The Queen asked for help heating Buckingham palace via a fund meant for people on the breadline

Somehow the Queen managed to accumulate a large personal fortune that presumably pays for life's little luxuries. Mustn't forget the millions it cost to bail Andrew out of a legal bind. Somehow the idea of a fixed cost asset is tested when the surface is scratched to reveal far greater financial flexibility than is inferred. Must be nice to have a mum who can bail you out to the tune of £10m plus.

I'm a little embarrassed to say - I've never really thought about it. Do we need anything other than a single elected parliament? The Prime Minister? Is that all we need? Interested to know why countries need another person to be Head of State.
Absolutely agree. The head of the elected government is the head of state in many countries (France USA, Germany etc.) The may be called President, PM, Chancellor, Fuckface or 'owt they like, but they represent the country. Why the fuck do we need someone different to arse about in a load of daft ceremonial tosh? Waving at people from a posh car or watching some local tribesmen dance about with a couple of leaves hiding their cock may be fodder for Hello magazine, but I don't know how anyone can say it's important.
To be fair, the Queen is one of the more benign Royals, but there is (and has been for many years) a whole raft of underlings below her who lots of people seem to be in awe of.
I think dysfunctional would ideally describe the whole family. Now, there are many dysfunctional families in Britain, but not a lot of them have 4+ palaces/castles and a Government stipend to fall back on.......

Back
Top Bottom