Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Id imagine any legal team could pick apart anything slanderous or untruthful in this interview if they wanted to. Its on record now.

I don't think we'll hear any more.
Exactly, anything that is in the public can be responded to should they wish to.

The NDA could include anything, not necessarily just linked to the terms of him leaving. I suspect NDAs happen all the time when manages go, whether sacked or resigned. You wouldn’t want a disgruntled manager putting it out there the clubs finances, for example.

If a manager offers to resign, then usually the writing's on the wall. The claim is, the first resignation attempt was after the Palace game. That was January 2nd. If I was PA at that point I'd also be thinking "the guy wants out, so why buy HIS choice of payers in this window? let's see how he pans out". Imagine 2 or 3 more players in and then CW had still walked? New man comes in, doesn't like those players but is stuck with them and the budget's run out?

Also, this link people make between the board suggesting players meaning they are a de facto DOF. WTF are Scouts for then? Are they all DOFs if they bring a player to the Manager or the Board's attention? If the final choice rests with the manager it remains nothing more than help and suggestion. If they buy a player and tell the manager he's got to play him, that's a different story.

Too many people want their won agenda to be backed up so the add 1 + 1 and get 1889

Clough and Adkins got sacked.

Wilder appears to have walked. Surely if that's the case he should have been paying the club to buy himself out of his contract?
Possibly. It’s slightly different but I know someone who was an equity partner in a fairly large firm who’s just had to do that (they have large debts, in most cases if you’re an EP the other EPs buy you out).

As others have said, there is the possibility of a constructive dismissal case so my guess is that to avoid that and all the crap that would come with it, they’ve come to an agreement based on him having a reasonable case. Contract law is very complex and I’m not a lawyer, there will be loads of “buts” and “what ifs”. The Curbishley v West Ham case probably explains some of the general principles but, as far as I recall, that was a more cut and dried breach of a term in his contract.

If a manager offers to resign, then usually the writing's on the wall. The claim is, the first resignation attempt was after the Palace game. That was January 2nd. If I was PA at that point I'd also be thinking "the guy wants out, so why buy HIS choice of payers in this window? let's see how he pans out". Imagine 2 or 3 more players in and then CW had still walked? New man comes in, doesn't like those players but is stuck with them and the budget's run out?

Also, this link people make between the board suggesting players meaning they are a de facto DOF. WTF are Scouts for then? Are they all DOFs if they bring a player to the Manager or the Board's attention? If the final choice rests with the manager it remains nothing more than help and suggestion. If they buy a player and tell the manager he's got to play him, that's a different story.

Too many people want their won agenda to be backed up so the add 1 + 1 and get 1889

The claim is that the second resignation attempt came after Palace, and there were plenty of rumours here and on SM to back that up. The first one came a few weeks before Southampton (i'd guess around the Chelsea 4-1 dicking), as it took him 2 weeks to get clearance to travel.

This epitomises the total naivety (or complete bias towards the owner) of so many fans.

How do you know this is “setting the record straight”, or that it’s a “very fair and balanced” view on the matter.

My point is that Wilder will obviously be unable to respond to these quite personal accusations. I’m not condoning those crying on Twitter making ‘Blades against PA’ accounts, or any genuine abuse chucked in his direction. You have to be seriously biased against Wilder or naive to take PA’s words as gospel.
Why will CW be unable to respond to these quite personal accusations?
I do not know if he signed an NDA. If he did, I doubt he was "made" to as some have suggested.
If this NDA does exist, it would not prevent him having an action against the Prince in defamation, if the Prince is not telling the truth/lying about CW.
I doubt many take what the Prince says as gospel. However, it was not attacking CW, perhaps, simply giving what many may well accept as a balanced view.
Out of interest are you of the opinion that CW did not, and has not in the past, offered to resign and that he was sacked?

Wow.

Wasn't expecting this, but felt it was necessary for the board to respond - so it's a good move.

However, IF, and it's a big if, all what he said is true, then I think he comes across really quite well. He's obviously come out fighting, as he feels he must after the repercussions of Wilder leaving, and fighting he has. He seems to come across as open, honest and goes into such details that maybe he really shouldn't. Some of this should remain confidential, surely. Nevertheless what he's said, is said - And I honestly can't see a problem with it. I'm willing to offer him a little more slack than I've afforded him since Wilder left.

I've been a big Wilder fan from day one, and was gutted with what happened a couple of weeks ago. The last few years have been the best period in my years of supporting United, and I'm 45. But this doesn't look particularly good for him, especially the £4m for resigning thing. It also sounds like he wanted United to work beyond their financial means, which just isn't sustainable, so early in our current Premier League life. We have to be sensible as well as progressive, which I think we are. Chris obviously wanted more, and faster. Also, as much as we loved his honesty in post-match interviews, the Prince has a point in it harming potential sponsors and investors - we finished 9th last season for God's sake, so we can't have been that bad. It was just Wilder's way of making a point to the board after not getting his way, again, with recruitment. I mean, would you trust him again with £20m after waisting best part of it on McB?

I think this was needed from the board, and I have to give them credit and respect for addressing the situation so openly, and from the top - not just shuffling Bettis out again. And what I heard has really made me think.

The claim is that the second resignation attempt came after Palace, and there were plenty of rumours here and on SM to back that up. The first one came a few weeks before Southampton (i'd guess around the Chelsea 4-1 dicking), as it took him 2 weeks to get clearance to travel.
Yes mate sorry you're right, which to my mind gives PA all the more reason, after the 2nd attempt, to think "Fuck that I'm not risking any more conkers until we know if he's staying or not"

Scouts produce reports. Like mechanics repair cars. There is someone over them managing everything else.

Scouts generally go away and send reports back from their area. A chief scout, DOF or whatever will look at the criteria and players needed, assign scouts/analysts and prepare a report for the manager and board. They will look at all the scout reports and collate a short-list of possible options. If you're looking for say a Midfielder. You might ask several scouts to look in several different areas. Collect all the data on them all. Weigh up the pluses and minuses for each player, investigate likely fee and wages, and then give a number of options. If there's no one coordinating this then the manager has to do it all.

In the case the Prince mentioned, he said he was being given one player and no other options, in some cases. It's not a very efficient way to work unless you're the richest teams in the world.

If there's

but that would be the same issues as now. so this has been going on longer than we thought , as didnt someone publish championship figures & we had the 18th biggest wage budget the year we got promoted, we were only spending the david brooks money
At the time Sunderland were a bit of a basket case club. Did they not have issues?
Did our issues disappear each year when the manager signed new improved contracts?

Not sure why people are moaning about a years salary pay off, we'd all want a payoff in the same boat.
That is not how I understand resignations to work?.... But I may have got it wrong and therefore done myself out of a fair few quid over the years.

One of the main points for me was Wilder switching targets in January and wanting a defensive midfielder.

Aye because a team that was devoid of any creativity or chance creation really needed another DM to sit in that flat three.
If it was an Oli Norwood replacement then we'd probably be about 10 points better off now if we'd have signed one.

Why will CW be unable to respond to these quite personal accusations?
I do not know if he signed an NDA. If he did, I doubt he was "made" to as some have suggested.
If this NDA does exist, it would not prevent him having an action against the Prince in defamation, if the Prince is not telling the truth/lying about CW.
I doubt many take what the Prince says as gospel. However, it was not attacking CW, perhaps, simply giving what many may well accept as a balanced view.
Out of interest are you of the opinion that CW did not, and has not in the past, offered to resign and that he was sacked?
Never mentioned anything about an NDA. I’m sure there are more pressing matters for Wilder to be getting on with, and dragging on a spat with a previous employer is not going to help him.

Like I said, he could be telling the truth, he could be lying, I’m not exactly that bothered either way. I reckon it’s more a case of bending the truth in order to win fans over. There are plenty who do think what he’s said is gospel. As seen on here the last couple of weeks there are some that have been sharpening their claws in preparation for this. Sad really.

And since you’re interested, it’s more or less common knowledge CW offered his resignation at some point, and no I don’t think he was sacked. FWIW I don’t think it’s a straight forward ‘walk’ either.

I found it a bit odd that AK didn't go when CW resigned, I thought they were an "item"

Perhaps he needs the money more than Chris, or perhaps just happy to wait until CW gets a new job and may go with him then.

Unless of course there may have been a disagreement between them.

2 points to make for me.
1) Many people asked for some comment from the Prince, and now you have it, whether you like it or not.
2) The Prince has done a good job with his side of the story, but be under no illusion that there is another side. If, and until, Wilder tells his side of the story, his reputation will be tarnished.

"The first ever bit of adversity he's had and he wants to resign"

Aye, getting Northampton to 100pts with players not getting paid was a cake-walk.

FACTS. :rolleyes:
Yeah the malaise that will be created by taking heads now will be messy but that’s not the clubs fault the club has put forward its version of events and now we move on.

Are we really outraged he wanted a pay off? He got us £200m plus in Premier league tv money. Not sure why people begrudge him that.

Once again, it's all hearsay

But it true, it shows how people in football have the club over a barrel.

"I don't want to work here anymore, but I'm not leaving"

"I'll do my best to get fired rather than leave, then I'll get my payout"

"It will cost you three and a half years salary to sack me"

"So, I'll walk out the door and save you the hassle and potential wrath of the fans"

"If you give us 4 million"

Back
Top Bottom