Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've got so many splinters in my arse from sitting on the fence and trying to see both sides of the issue. Chris did wonders for us, of course he did, but my two main problems are his lack of ability or desire to change or even adapt tactics despite defeat after defeat after abject defeat, and it bothered me that he took the adulation when it went well, but blamed everyone and everything else when it went sour. As the owner says:

"I am OK with Chris taking all the credit when we win but at least take some responsibility when we lose. Don't, under the pressure of some losses, say 'everything around me is rubbish'."

Is the interview necessary? I’m not sure the timing helps us as the dust had settled. Again it feels a bit “he said, she said”, which satiates those who want to know more, but appears massively tin pot in my eyes.
Mmm i would say that it was necessary yes. Could have come a little quicker but fans were dieing for some reassurances/statements from the club.

4M to resign is mad. I can understand it if he'd been sacked, but a contract works both ways. When you choose to walk, you don't get to take the cake with you.

It's encouraging to read about The Prince's determination to keep CWAK at the club. Speaks volumes about the owners commitment to the club and the project as a whole and in turn bodes well for the future.

To all those calling for a statue of CW outside the lane - those who are posting bile about PA on social media - all those that say he should have been backed further etc

This appears to be a very one sided departure, imagine any other club in the 4 divisions saying to a manager you can loose every game and wont be sacked!

As a Blade he took us up, stood on the town hall balcony and enjoyed, and deserved, the adulation
However this season he has been poor in the transfer market, lost his 'have a go' attitude, blamed players, the club, the board, training facilities, the fans etc

Now we know when the going got tough he wanted out, and not just out, he wanted £4m from a club that he loves, even though he is leaving it doomed to relegation with embarrassment

He should have fallen on his sword - A true Blade would have not asked for £4m when hes looking at the league table and accepting the team 'needs a new voice'

Would anyone on here honestly have asked for a fat wedge to go, leaving the club in the league position it is?

And before anyone mentions money, CW is already a very rich man on the back of the success he has brought SUFC - he was rewarded in realtime for the promotions, he doesnt get a golden goodbye for taking us down

A Captain goes down with his ship - he doesnt jump overboard and take the family silver with him

Bad drills Chris, tarnished a reputation im afraid

why does he deserve a pay off
He was paid a bonus for getting us promotion and was apparently on £3m / annum
He then failed in his job by making the wrong decisions despite being backed and then reassured of his position by the owner who seems to have bent over back wards to keep him. CW then compounds things by not accepting responsibility and blames everyone but himself, that is not heresay it is apparent from his interviews
Couldn’t agree more 👍

Well,we have now heard one side of the story and the mists are beginning to clear. Thought PA came across as straight and fairly compelling. Nothing changes the fact that Chris Wilder was a revelation for us and gave us the most memorable of times.

Sounds like he wasn’t actually the Messiah, though, and may have been a very naughty boy at times.

It's been plain to see that this season something had gone from Chris ,he started to have sly digs at the club ,rumours circulated a few times about him throwing the towel in .then there's been the buttering up of every club we played .now the revelation about wanting but not getting a 4 m pay off to resign from his job ,(true or it would be slander ) think it's best for all involved and that includes the fan base that this 5 year patch in our history came to a close . As wilder would say never look back in football .utb we will do magic

To all those calling for a statue of CW outside the lane - those who are posting bile about PA on social media - all those that say he should have been backed further etc

This appears to be a very one sided departure, imagine any other club in the 4 divisions saying to a manager you can loose every game and wont be sacked!

As a Blade he took us up, stood on the town hall balcony and enjoyed, and deserved, the adulation
However this season he has been poor in the transfer market, lost his 'have a go' attitude, blamed players, the club, the board, training facilities, the fans etc

Now we know when the going got tough he wanted out, and not just out, he wanted £4m from a club that he loves, even though he is leaving it doomed to relegation with embarrassment

He should have fallen on his sword - A true Blade would have not asked for £4m when hes looking at the league table and accepting the team 'needs a new voice'

Would anyone on here honestly have asked for a fat wedge to go, leaving the club in the league position it is?

And before anyone mentions money, CW is already a very rich man on the back of the success he has brought SUFC - he was rewarded in realtime for the promotions, he doesnt get a golden goodbye for taking us down

A Captain goes down with his ship - he doesnt jump overboard and take the family silver with him

Bad drills Chris, tarnished a reputation im afraid
You don’t build statues to people who walk out when the going gets tough.

It's been plain to see that this season something had gone from Chris ,he started to have sly digs at the club ,rumours circulated a few times about him throwing the towel in .then there's been the buttering up of every club we played .now the revelation about wanting but not getting a 4 m pay off to resign from his job ,(true or it would be slander ) think it's best for all involved and that includes the fan base that this 5 year patch in our history came to a close . As wilder would say never look back in football .utb we will do magic
He walked out through the back door.

But in fairness, it appears he’s offered up alternatives from other markets that Wilder hasn’t been interested in who are now performing at other clubs. He mentioned that Chris was narrow minded with transfers and was only shopping in one market which we could all see.

That has to be the biggest frustration knowing the players we have brought in wouldn’t have been as good as the others and for better value.

I think he’s well aware other clubs can pay more wages than us but at least it appears he’s looking at solutions to that problem to allow us to compete. If the manager isn’t interested in his suggestions, what else can the Prince do?

You could forgive CW if he signed players he desperately wanted

He signed Brewster and Bogle both players who did not get a sniff of first team action

Prince is bang on the money and CW has a lot to answer for

Just think it’s a bit tin pot. Washing dirty laundry in public is never a good look IMHO.
I feel this too Rod, but at the same time I think PA has taken some pretty shocking criticism of late, a lot of which is either way over the top or just unfair. I think there are some points in this interview that needed to come out (the resignation point in particular), and for me, it's better that PA comes out and says it like this, rather than trying to influence through off-record briefings to local media. I do totally get what you're saying, and my starting point when I saw that PA had given an interview was exactly the same as yours, but on balance I understand it.

Really interesting. Seems genuine does PA. Biggest part of that is nothing that hasn't been seen on these very pages of S24SU, more or less word for word.
I could be convinced that the various bullet points, recruitment, wages, JTW, Dof, training ground and the like, have been cobbled together by someone trawling the opinions from here.
Either that or he and us are in the same boat.
Not a criticism of PA this, he speaks very well.

The willingness of some of our fans to lap up what the media offer them will never fail to surprise me.

No one is asking the question "what has put Wilder to the point where he wants to walk away?".

I'm not saying Abdullah is wrong or lying, just that some people need to not just accept what they're told like good little lap dogs.

I got slated asking how long he had got a few months ago it was clear things weren't right rumours of staff arguing etc
Did wilder lose the dressing room personally he was losing it. Wilder this season wasn't the same the team wasn't the freedom etc yes we got out first win . Things need addressing if we lose players recruitment needed desepreatly and to me there needs to be give and take with a new manager.

Such a sad ending to a great story

Most annoying thing is that if CW stayed with this team next year I would back we would storm the league

However I would be interested in seeing what role CW has at his next club if he demands who is hired right down to the canteen staff he will never get a job again above league one level FACT

Also sours his reputation massively that he has his minions on twitter/Facebook making out as if he was sacked trying to create civil war between fans

The willingness of some of our fans to lap up what the media offer them will never fail to surprise me.

No one is asking the question "what has put Wilder to the point where he wants to walk away?".

I'm not saying Abdullah is wrong or lying, just that some people need to not just accept what they're told like good little lap dogs.
We're so Wednesday on here aren't we. This is like that pathetic Pulis interview where he told them he wanted to be better than us then they were all fawning over him. Prince talks well but we'll soon find out if he has any idea how to stop us sliding back into the wilderness.

I feel this too Rod, but at the same time I think PA has taken some pretty shocking criticism of late, a lot of which is either way over the top or just unfair. I think there are some points in this interview that needed to come out (the resignation point in particular), and for me, it's better that PA comes out and says it like this, rather than trying to influence through off-record briefings to local media. I do totally get what you're saying, and my starting point when I saw that PA had given an interview was exactly the same as yours, but on balance I understand it.

Not an easy one mate and totally get your point. I just want to see progress on managers rather than raking over the past. There’s two options out there - one has expressed interest and one is unemployed. Need to make it happen.

But now we’re (the fanbase) going over this divisive, tittle tattle crap again.

Media offer ?

Its an interview with the prince on video you literally cant get a more trusted source ? Albeit one side of the story

I don't think that question needs asking. Overseeing a team that had played half a season and had 2 points on the board answers it for you, we were/are fucking awful and he was the manager overseeing it.

You could forgive CW if he signed players he desperately wanted

He signed Brewster and Bogle both players who did not get a sniff of first team action

Prince is bang on the money and CW has a lot to answer for

It’s complex what’s happened but I think it’s both a bit of give and take. Last summer, Ollie Watkins, Matty Cash, Antonee Robinson and Said Benarhama amongst others were mentioned on here as potential targets for us and the rumour was that Wilder was keen to sign them. I don’t think Wilder has an issue identifying good quality targets, it’s being able to compete financially.

I think we know that the Prince can’t afford for us to compete in that market, he knows that and Wilder also knew that. They’ve both stated they won’t put us in financial difficulty so that writes off most of Wilder’s first choice targets at this level.

To the Prince’s credit, he’s actively looked for solutions to make us competitive at this level. As presumed, we do have a wider scouting network that has been able to identify players for us, however Wilder has rejected these players and continued to go for his third and fourth choices in the English market. The further down the list he goes, the less value for money we get. An equivalent Oli McBurnie or Rhian Brewster or Aaron Ramsdale from abroad, may potentially be as much as half what we paid for the above players.

That interview doesn't address the issue of why Wilder wanted to walk away in the first place. Are we supposed to believe he just changed his mind about being Sheffield United manager one night?

Prince Abdullah also states that he wants the board to make the signings, based on a shortlist of players provided by the manager. Maybe this is one of the reasons? Even if it's not, is that the type of situation that any manager would be OK with?

I doubt we'll ever get Wilder's side of the story, but I don't think anyone can blame either party unless we do.

Back
Top Bottom