Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Glad to hear he turned in a good performance yesterday. Those that went, was he more willing to get forward in support?

buzzing, I just won his shirt in auction from the Port Vale game, Hope my predictions on him come true and after Barnsley it looks promising or I will look a right cock wearing the shirt lol.........onward and upward!!!

Yer - have not been too impressed with both Cutts or Holt, but a few regular starts for both of them has seen a marked improvement, 3 goals in 3 for Holt and Cutts is looking better, wish Cutts would do a bit more work in getting forward but played well today, let's hope it is a sign of better things to come over the next few weeks and into the play-offs!?

Have watched Coutts quite closely and have been unimpressed when he has been played wide right. Can understand the reason of Flynn being unfit and JCR moved out, but he has not been good in that position.
When he plays in the centre he seems to shuffle sideways and doesn't do much other than move the ball on to someone else. Not convinced he is meant to go anywhere but sit deep. Basham (when in midfield) is the box to box player. Quite significant that Doyle seems to be frozen out now, so as long as Flynn stays fit think we sill see Coutts occupy that deep lying role and perhaps we will see very little of Doyle. If Coutts carry's on this central role and keeps Doyle out due to good performances, then only the team can benefit, which is a good thing. Shame and sorry for Doyle though.

I expect to see the same midfield v Donny, although considering Cloughs past record of player changes, absolutely nothing would surprise me.

UTB

Have watched Coutts quite closely and have been unimpressed when he has been played wide right. Can understand the reason of Flynn being unfit and JCR moved out, but he has not been good in that position.
When he plays in the centre he seems to shuffle sideways and doesn't do much other than move the ball on to someone else. Not convinced he is meant to go anywhere but sit deep. Basham (when in midfield) is the box to box player. Quite significant that Doyle seems to be frozen out now, so as long as Flynn stays fit think we sill see Coutts occupy that deep lying role and perhaps we will see very little of Doyle. If Coutts carry's on this central role and keeps Doyle out due to good performances, then only the team can benefit, which is a good thing. Shame and sorry for Doyle though.

I expect to see the same midfield v Donny, although considering Cloughs past record of player changes, absolutely nothing would surprise me.

UTB
After the Barnsley game I said that (maybe) Coutts was getting better, well I take it all back, Coutts as been terrible since that game, he may have a few good runs and plays one or two good passes per game be generally he gives the ball away too offern in dangerous areas of the field, he is lightweight and seriously lacks the energy levels of Doyle, and when NC moves him out wide he is out of is depth - also It seems he is the first name on the team sheet and is never subbed? anyway I look forward to be proven wrong in the playoffs?

After the Barnsley game I said that (maybe) Coutts was getting better, well I take it all back, Coutts as been terrible since that game, he may have a few good runs and plays one or two good passes per game be generally he gives the ball away too offern in dangerous areas of the field, he is lightweight and seriously lacks the energy levels of Doyle, and when NC moves him out wide he is out of is depth - also It seems he is the first name on the team sheet and is never subbed? anyway I look forward to be proven wrong in the playoffs?
Coutts played well on Saturday especially in the 2nd half and for me only Freeman and Brayford were better than him

He's decent in Centre Mid, but when I saw he was starting on the right again on Sat, I lost all optimism that we would win the game.

All I can suggest is that Clough is giving him an extended run in the side to show faith in him, boost his confidence, and in turn is hoping/planning that the pre-injury Coutts will emerge. I think this is how the all conquering Australian cricket team got going on the 90s. They put players in the team and stuck with them, regardless. They took time to gel and there were outsiders who were playing much better (Lehmann? Someone who knows more about cricket can probably name a few).

Not advocating it in Coutts's case just suggesting a possible rationale.

If Clough is giving him an extended run in the side to show faith in him, I don't know why he hasn't done the same for other players who have come in to the side and actually shown some quality. For example, McNulty got a few games under his belt (most as sub), started to score goals and show that maybe (just maybe) he could be a striker that could get 20+ goals a season for use. Rather than get an extended run in the side, Clough decides to give him one start, then publicly slag him off because he hasn't run the bloody channels, and then drop him to the bench for the next 25 games!

I have no idea whether Coutts will eventually come good or not, but it seems to me that Clough has his favorites who will get picked week in week out, irrespective of whether they are showing any form or not, and others don't get a look in. All this begs the question why we need a squad of 41 players if you're only going to get a game if your Nigel's mate.

This season is not the one to judge Coutts still not 100% fit
I can't accept that. If he's shite, he's shite and shouldn't be on the field.

We can only judge what's out there.

I thought he was Okay on Saturday. By that, I mean looking like an average third division midfielder rather than a complete liability. The direction of travel is positive, but how the hell he's anchored himself into the side based on his performances is beyond me.

That said, his style is entirely that of a Clough player. That's why Adams can hardly get on, and JCR has been shipped out. :(

UTB

I can't accept that. If he's shite, he's shite and shouldn't be on the field.

We can only judge what's out there.

I thought he was Okay on Saturday. By that, I mean looking like an average third division midfielder rather than a complete liability. The direction of travel is positive, but how the hell he's anchored himself into the side based on his performances is beyond me.

That said, his style is entirely that of a Clough player. That's why Adams can hardly get on, and JCR has been shipped out. :(

UTB
I agree with that Alco all I'm saying he's only 80% the player he was he's not that old could he have a good pre season and be an asset to us.

yes you have a point - not quite sure Coutts is 100% fit after his previous knee troubles.
I think as a 3 (Coutts/Doyle & Basham) it gives us strength in numbers. As for Coutts out wide - he is just another square peg/round hole and seems to get used there when we are short ie: no JCR/Flynn.

Coutts might be ok with a full pre-season behind him.

UTB

JCR had played only for 45 mins in Notts County's last 6 matches!!!
Fair enough, but in my opinion he was a real plus for us in that position, even without the presence of a big man in the middle.

And I suspect his knee injury has contributed to his lack of football! :)

To see that position often filled by Coutts is exasperating.

UTB

Fair enough, but in my opinion he was a real plus for us in that position, even without the presence of a big man in the middle.

UTB
He hasnt played well since January and it was hoped that his spell at Notts County would get him back to what he was and be ready for the play-offs. Dont think he will be ok for the play-offs

UTB

I think we will see a combination of Davies and Done on the right with both having a free roaming role and Murphy on the left in the home game. Possibly Flynn, with his more defensive abilities at the away game.

I do think they are all better and more consistent threats than JCR.

I expect Coutts to be part of a middle 3 with Basham plus Holt, with Scouggs and energetic option from the bench and Doyle as a Stopper if we are up or under thr cosh.

He hasnt played well since January and it was hoped that his spell at Notts County would get him back to what he was and be ready for the play-offs. Dont think he will be ok for the play-offs
JCR had a few off days and was bombed out. Coutts has had one good game in about 4 months and is, somehow, a hard wired fixture in the side.

As I've said, it's easy to understand why. Players who concentrate on running at goal too much ( see also Che Adams) do not fit into his style. It's written all over our style of play.

UTB

JCR had a few off days and was bombed out. Coutts has had one good game in about 4 months and is, somehow, a hard wired fixture in the side.

As I've said, it's easy to understand why. Players who concentrate on running at goal too much ( see also Che Adams) do not fit into his style. It's written all over our style of play.

UTB
As much as i think Coutts will be a good player for us i have to agree he's had more off games and so far contributed far less than JCR has all season, it's one of his many baffling decisions this season, and who's to say JCR would have got injured if he'd have stayed with us and continued in the starting lineup? He might have got injured due to lack of game time, who knows:rolleyes:

No, what were they?

UTB

No SB, do you have a link please.

a33vrIA.jpg

I was waiting for the first cry of "scapegoat".

It's just possible that some players are presently crap, and identifying that is just a simple statement of fact, at least in the eyes of the beholder.

Now, picking on someone like Stephen Quinn, who goes on to prove himself in the premiership - now that would be scapegoating. :)

UTB

Boom ;)

I wrote an OP after seeing him play twice and said I saw a player with good strength, composure and technique. One who doesn't give up possession, plays with his head up and had a telepathy with Brayford.

I take it back.

His main problem must be a result of his injury. He's limping before we kick off and has a condition which severely hampers his mobility. Never mind Baxter not being fit look at this lad. Maybe his condition restricts his day to day training and he will never be any fitter or more mobile. Hes certainly not a box to box player and has become another main reason why we cant play 4-4-2. It's so frustrating. He's not worth a place anyway but Clough always picks him so we cant play 4-4-2 which means Done cant play central striker now that Davis is here. What a cock-up.

That's not the be all and end all but it's all about blending him with players who complement his style and basically do all his running for him. He needs players to be moving for the ball and is always there for the return. In our current side there's not enough movement and tippy tappy is insufficient when its not progressive up the field.

In the right side he might be OK. He's not in the right side though.

So good to reflect back, thanks for the 'like'. Wow.

Such a wise post:)

I remember seeing him play for Preston a few years back and seeing this young strong lad, who could win tackles, drive forward with the ball and pick a killer pass, I said at the time we could really do with a player like that, apparently he started off at Derby just as well, then came his bad injury. When he came back The Derby fans said he just didn't look the same player and was quickly relegated to a bit part player off the bench.

Alarm bells should have rung when Derby were so quick to part with him, the injury has completely finished him mobility wise.

I feel sorry for him in the way I feel sorry for any player who more or less gets a career finished by injury, but I am angry we have now been lumbered with yet another passenger on a decent contract and a decent weekly wage. (See J. Wallace)

Well I was right about his past at Preston, and right about how he looked post injury until Wilder more of less gave him his last chance in football by Transfer listing him.

I hope when he comes back he doesn’t need as long to recover from his injury both physically and mentally.

Still think people are being a bit harsh on Coutts,and to early to be writing him off for me.
I missed Saturday through work,but from the games I've seen him,he's looked ok.What is he..eleven games in after a bad injury...I think there's a lot more to come yet...and I've not seen him give the ball away that much tbh..looks comfortable in possesion,moves it quickly,albeit sideways,but it gets us moving..always shows for the ball and gets up in support around the opposition box.
Nothing against Doyle,but I much prefer Coutts in the deep role as he's already passed the ball in the time Doyle would be getting the ball under control...it's not spectacular,but effective in getting us moving the other way.

Well said sir.

There was always a talented footballer in Coutts, he just needed to get his head straight and chin up after the injury at Derby.

Thanks for that. :)

In my defence, I’d totally back my point that Coutts was crap, for 2 years.

Wilder backed that view, and listed him immediately. Only when forced to play him did he see something different.

Where I was spectacularly wrong, and I’m delighted to be so, is when I said he simply hadn’t got it in him. I didn’t detect lack of application, I put his poor performance down to complete lack of ability. I’ve held my hands up in “shame” numerous times since.

Back
Top Bottom