This sums SUFC up down to a tee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you don't get the offer you want, wait while you do. Why did we HAVE to sell him?

Neither of us know.

My point was that it appears no one else wanted to pay more than Blues did which makes me think no one valued him at more than they paid.

I'm sure if McCabe thought there was a better offer possible he might have been tempted to hang on a few days. So I'd say the £3m valuation is pie in the sky.

As ever though, it's are we going to spend what we did get?

Well if we had defenders who could defend.......we would have won 5-0 away then and the home game would have been of no consequence ;-)
I'm afraid when you are building a squad virtually from scratch again for the umpteenth year, it's gonna cost money unless you want to do it slowly and gradually build up a team and squad.
It's great for Gillingham and the like....they can just sit in League one for years gradually building and improving, it's a great way of progessing if you have no great funds and the time to do it.
We don't have that time as a club, expectation is too high........We need more money to buy a quality squad capable of getting out of this division.....if that's not the plan, then McCabe or whoever should just come out and say it.....no promotion, we're gonna build a squad on a budget over a couiple of seasons.
It's all a self-fulfilling prophecy, we'll just end up not progressing with a new manager again...sacking him, then going through the same thing again and again.
It's one or the other slow progress, or spend the money.......we don't really get a choice in that.
Totally agree...constantly changing managers has got us into this mess. The Board need to show some balls and maybe stand up to the fans who clamour for change so quickly. Didn't McCabe sack Wilson due to the reaction of the fans after we lost to Crawley at home ? Would we be in this mess if we had kept Clough on or even Adkins ?

The board fail to invest, then bemoan our luck when we fail to get promoted. They change the manager, aim for promotion, fail to invest and the cycle repeats itself...

We'll invest when we get to the champ. You won't get to the champ, because you don't invest.
Aren't we investing at the moment ? It is just the decision making at all levels that is awful

James Shield @JamesShield1
CW says #sufc have been quoted some "absolutely ridiculous prices" in the transfer market. #twitterblades #starlive

Don't we think every other club in England is going to be quoted these 'absolutely ridiculous prices'? Why are we so special that we shouldn't pay these prices yet everyone else does?
We spend our whole transfer windows 'bidding' (by bidding I mean low balling teams then when they come back with a realistic valuation we run as far in the other direction as possible) for players, then say we tried for one or two but...

Time to put up or shut up Kev and Princey boy. Turn us into Bristol City, Wolves, Southampton, Norwich. Let us romp this league like a club like ours should or fucking do one, put us up for sale at a realistic price (not an absolutely ridiculous one, you hypocrite) and let someone else take us forward.

I'm not saying it's CW, he'd pay those prices if the board let him because let's face it if he doesn't get what he needs in he's going to be out on his arse before long. Then again, I suppose the board need to save some money for this summer when we do our annual manager sacking. It wouldn't be summer otherwise.

There's no bigger blade than me, Seth!

The best bit about it, is our board don't even think about giving ridiculous prices for our players when a club comes sniffing. Thick as shit!

If you don't get the offer you want, wait while you do. Why did we HAVE to sell him?
Because otherwise CW would have had no funds to rebuild. Whether the money had been spent already or is for further signings will become apparent in the next week.

Neither of us know.

My point was that it appears no one else wanted to pay more than Blues did which makes me think no one valued him at more than they paid.

I'm sure if McCabe thought there was a better offer possible he might have been tempted to hang on a few days. So I'd say the £3m valuation is pie in the sky.

As ever though, it's are we going to spend what we did get?
Teams panic later in the window. We are living proof of that. Teams now have to have a certain amount of English talent and that's what we had in our hands. We let him go for a pittance in today's game, he scored 12 goals and didn't even play all the season, a lot of it was played on the wing. Very good return.

3mil should have been the minimum asking price. If no ones wiling to pay it wait while deadline day, someone will.

And we both know the answer to that last question mate. This club is going one direction. And if you look at league positions is has done every season since 2009

Because otherwise CW would have had no funds to rebuild. Whether the money had been spent already or is for further signings will become apparent in the next week.
We apparently had money before he was sold and we were under no pressure to sell. Or so we were told (sold down the river)

You know the answer to your question....my guess is we will end up bringing in a couple of average players no better than the ones we've already got.

Of course we could try Millwalls approach and say players aren't for sale at any price . They have kept Gregory, Morrison and likely Webster and will be right up there at the end of the season. If you can't reinvest at what you view as a reasonable price then don't sell as the proceeds become meaningless in terms of improving the team.

Aren't we investing at the moment ? It is just the decision making at all levels that is awful

Get out of here with your reasoned argument and valid points, there'll be none of that here!

Yes, you're right we are mate, in the shape of Clarke and Moore - but is it too little, too late?

Teams panic later in the window. We are living proof of that. Teams now have to have a certain amount of English talent and that's what we had in our hands. We let him go for a pittance in today's game, he scored 12 goals and didn't even play all the season, a lot of it was played on the wing. Very good return.

3mil should have been the minimum asking price. If no ones wiling to pay it wait while deadline day, someone will.

And we both know the answer to that last question mate. This club is going one direction. And if you look at league positions is has done every season since 2009

That's your opinion only. If teams were looking at him, and he was worth that why did no one come in with a higher bid? Especially if they "panic". I'm guessing because they believed Birmingham paid enough.

Perhaps we are being quoted ridiculous fees because we are targeting ridiculous players.

If we are now looking at teams with aspirations of promotion or from leagues above, isn't this where the expensive players are to be found? Craig Morgan for example has started all of Wigan's games. Games they have done well in. How come he's even considered a viable target?

There are 48 centre halves plying their trade in the division below each week. Is there not one capable of stepping up that is affordable to Sheffield United? Or are all the teams in League Two so flush with cash that they cannot be forced to have their prized asset tempted away? It's only the other week Barnsley took a centre back from Torquay. They are not just targeting Premiership cast offs.

Perhaps we are being quoted ridiculous fees because we are targeting ridiculous players.

If we are now looking at teams with aspirations of promotion or from leagues above, isn't this where the expensive players are to be found? Craig Morgan for example has started all of Wigan's games. Games they have done well in. How come he's even considered a viable target?

There are 48 centre halves plying their trade in the division below each week. Is there not one capable of stepping up that is affordable to Sheffield United? Or are all the teams in League Two so flush with cash that they cannot be forced to have their prized asset tempted away? It's only the other week Barnsley took a centre back from Torquay. They are not just targeting Premiership cast offs.
Why don't we? I'd say because each of our managers essentially has a season to get us up or they're out the door. That's why no long term planning goes on.

So because we have bought a few players we are investing are we? Not in my book we aren't, we have dumped a load of players on good wages and sold Adams so any incomings are self financing as far as I'm concerned. As ever we are trusting to luck yet our Kevin reckons we only have the bad type :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think our biggest problem with sales is that we usually sell far too early. Ché went for a reasonable(ish) price given his achievements to date, but if we'd hung onto him and he'd managed to score 20 goals this season - his price would have doubled.

Nick Blackman, midway into his first season with us, think he'd already scored close to 15 and looked our main attacking outlet cutting inside, we were bang in the promotion mixer, yet we sold him the second we got a whiff of an offer. I can't remember through the piles of shite decisions our club has made but didn't the same thing happen with James Beattie too? Why was he sold for half of what we bought him for, midway into the season, when he'd played so well for us?

Jamie Murphy had just signed a contract and had only just started delivering for and then he's shipped out, for what I thought was a cheap price then too.

Harry Maguire gave us 3 good years, so maybe a bit of an exception, but I don't remember us turning many offers down for him before that summer when the interest started (could be wrong). And how embarrassing and tin pot did we make ourselves look, when Hull (who got Stephen Quinn for free) said that we'd rejected their bid then came back with our hat out when they were going to walk away.

The sad thing is, every time one of these offers comes in a large proportion of our fan base with their typical Yorkshire attitude say "Yeah sounds a good price for him, he's good on his day but... we can use the money to strengthen elsewhere." I don't recall a time in recent history where that's been the case. Now people are wanting us to sell Sharp because he's off to a bad start. Last season's player of the year. Our captain. Our top scorer. One of the only players who gives a shit about this club. In fact, probably the only player.

Our board have no bottle and are a bunch of con-artists. This propaganda they're putting out about how we're the big victims because "clubs quote double when it's us" sounds like complete bollocks and I don't buy a word of it.

Last edited:

That's your opinion only. If teams were looking at him, and he was worth that why did no one come in with a higher bid? Especially if they "panic". I'm guessing because they believed Birmingham paid enough.
Why haven't other clubs offered the higher amounts we have been quoted for players we were interested in?

Yet they keep their players and we lose ours.

Why haven't other clubs offered the higher amounts we have been quoted for players we were interested in?

fwri0.jpg

What annoys me is that we are so short sighted about the value of our players. We've never quoted mega books for our players and hence have never got them and we've certainly never said they aren't for sale.

Look at the amount of times the likes of Peterborough have sold players for well over 4-5 mil even in league 1.

We are so slow to understand that it's not the mid 90s anymore. Your not going to be able to pick up bargains cos clubs see players going for 100m quid etc.

And I reckon clubs are going to up the price because we've had a horrific start to he season and will be desperate for bodies - unfortunately that's where we are. The squads not good enough as it stands so we either pay some extra and try and improve it or we face a battle at the wrong end of the table

This is a very good point.
When was the last time you heard a club end their interest in one of our players due to the 'ridiculous price' we want for them?

When selling, we ALWAYS find a way to make it work.

I can't see that it helps when we appear to change our manager and playing style every year and we seem to have had a Baden Powell sushi belt drive installed for the position of chief scout. The changeover seems to take place just as the transfer market is opening and the manager is still assessing needs and current players and the chief scout is still putting the club postcode in his satnav - whilst other clubs are pressing ahead. That said the Centre Half thing was a total joke having needed them since Clough's attempt at the summer transfer market blew up in his face - hence the 5 foot 8 inch "Centre Half" Alcock we played v Swindon.

One aspect I don't get it that there are still serious bargains to be had away from these here shores, yet we NEVER look outside of the UK. We continue to moan about inflated prices for players but seemingly can't look past our own noses. Surely we have some sort of scouting set up in Europe at least?

Agree!! Seems that we can only be interested in obvious signings. Our scouting must be wank. I'm sure that bundesliga 2/3, lower end la liga, Portuguese prem etc...no players worth looking at???? Fuck off.

Simon Moore was a pretty decent price if 250k is to be believed. About his value.
We overpaid for Brayford. Not sure about Sharp.

Brum in the current market got Adams at a bargain price. If he was Peterboroughs player he would have gone for no less than £4mil. If they don't pay it, do one. Wait while someone does. In the current market and the lack of english talent about SOMEONE will pay it. That situation with Harry always springs back to my head, makes me laugh and cry in equal measure.

We reject their bid thinking they'll come back with another. Then have to go back with out tail between our legs... 'actually... we unreject your offer, is that okay Mr Allam sir?'

Such a fucking joke.

Looks like the Brayford money was really a big waste, I didn't see it at the time but we appear to have nothing left now.

What annoys me is that we are so short sighted about the value of our players. We've never quoted mega books for our players and hence have never got them and we've certainly never said they aren't for sale.

Look at the amount of times the likes of Peterborough have sold players for well over 4-5 mil even in league 1.

We are so slow to understand that it's not the mid 90s anymore. Your not going to be able to pick up bargains cos clubs see players going for 100m quid etc.

And I reckon clubs are going to up the price because we've had a horrific start to he season and will be desperate for bodies - unfortunately that's where we are. The squads not good enough as it stands so we either pay some extra and try and improve it or we face a battle at the wrong end of the table

Perhaps the facts are that our players aren't actually that good!

Agree about the sackings

But clough was a penis. He fell out with players and we ended up the season playing about 6 fullbacks in the starting 11. He never addressed they major issues he'd caused by falling out with players and to my mind that's why we failed in the play offs

Clough fell out with who?

He binned a player that is now playing non league level in Canada.
He held back egos like Adams and McNulty to try and keep them in check.
Other than that?

Well maybe like CW, they don't think the valuations required are realistic? You've actually agreed with me without meaning to do so :)

Why don't we? I'd say because each of our managers essentially has a season to get us up or they're out the door. That's why no long term planning goes on.

Those two posts. That's it, summed up.

Back
Top Bottom