Sunday drink

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would Warnock be able to play a system that "got the best" out of Billy & Big Harv playing as front two?

He is an overpaid player and thinking of his car (see below photo) winds me up when he doesnt have a good game especially in the 3-0 defeat against Southend last week.

CguT8vKW0AA6LTy.jpg

I can't understand your mentality here, footballers are all over paid we all already knew that what's his car got to with anything. To be fair that's a pretty bog standard Porsche (bloody ugly as well in my opinion).

I don't think that car is extravagant at all, some of my colleagues drive more expensive cars than that and we certainly don't earn what footballers earn.

I think there has been evidence of how effective a traditional CF can be, in the two home games as recently as this season.

Calvin Andrew showed himself to be effective.

Nile Ranger did more in 20 mins than Clarke has done in 4 / 5 games.

I don't have a problem with Clarke, the man. For example, what has happened in his personal life, is genuinely tear jerking.

I do have a problem with Clarke the player. There is more than an element of truth in what you say, as regards to balls flying in from all angles, which are clearly not going to be effective, whoever you are.

But when Clarke (or any other target style man) is deployed in a system such as the one we are presently using, I look for one key element.

Is possession retained, or does it turnover ? Rather simplistic, but bear with me.

A target mans primary objective, IMHO, is to link the play.

Yes chip in with a few goals and assists along the way, but primarily, it's to link up play.

This can be acheived by flicking headers for runners, or out to wider players. By controlling the ball with chest and linking in players, or with balls in to feet, and then linking in players.

Ignoring the balls which are hoofed aimlessly, the ones that are ACCURATELY played in to Clarke, where he has a genuine opportunity to link play as described above, more often than not (around 80% in my estimation) result in a possession turnover. That's not great, IMHO.

On top of this L1 defenders tend to be tall, strong, dominant headers of the ball. Leon, contrary to some ludicrous ascertains,does not win all of these aerial battles. Far from it.

This style of play just plays in to the oppose hands. Our target man, unlike Ranger etc. Is actually not very good at being a target man. Go figure.

So getting back to your play it in to his feet and see the difference suggestion.

Do you see what I see ?Cos if you do, you will see a first touch that's woeful, mostly resulting in the 2nd touch being a tackle.

In summary, and I must dismiss your suggestion that pre-season is meaningless, we have signed a very poor "striker", changed our playing style in the course of a few short weeks to accommodate him, and in the same breath, alienated to the point of frustration and despair last seasons top scorer, top assisted, fans player and players player of the season.

I don't buy it.

I don't get it.

I don't like it.

UTB

Agree with most of what you have to say. Still insist that Clarke will do better (who wouldn't) in a team playing properly rather than hoofing. Still insist that Sharp has to look to his performances and take some responsibility. He looks sluggish, lacking both energy and commitment. I'm told he could have no complaint at being subbed on Saturday, though I wasn't there, I accept. He should never, ever, be captain.

Yes it makes perfect sense to get rid of Sharp, who can get you 20 goals a season - and who has struggled so far this season as the ball has been hit long at him by rubbish defenders.

I just dont know what some fans are on.

Quality and goals have gone from the side (Adams, Baxter, Murphy, McDonald, Maguire, Brayford - the list goes on) yet still people thing it is a good idea to keep getting rid.

Agree with most of what you have to say. Still insist that Clarke will do better (who wouldn't) in a team playing properly rather than hoofing. Still insist that Sharp has to look to his performances and take some responsibility. He looks sluggish, lacking both energy and commitment. I'm told he could have no complaint at being subbed on Saturday, though I wasn't there, I accept. He should never, ever, be captain.

Bottom line.

And assuming the hoof goes in to room 101.

Who's ability, 1st touch, vision and general footballing brain do you trust to perform the link role I have described above. Sharp or Clarke ?

A clue. One is not fit to lace the others boots (another posters words, not mine) !!

UTB

I can't understand your mentality here, footballers are all over paid we all already knew that what's his car got to with anything. To be fair that's a pretty bog standard Porsche (bloody ugly as well in my opinion).

I don't think that car is extravagant at all, some of my colleagues drive more expensive cars than that and we certainly don't earn what footballers earn.

Since when has roughly £100,000 worth of car been pretty standard Love to know what your colleagues are doing Danny?

It say's a lot about the stupidity of the modern game that a player in the third tier of football is swanning round in that. But the game and clubs lost the plot roughly 20 years ago and don't seem to in hurry to find it again. You see the hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of shiny metal in the car park and it seems to have a direct correlation to the lack of heart in our team.

I am in the Silent camp on this one.

Since when has roughly £100,000 worth of car been pretty standard Love to know what your colleagues are doing Danny?

It say's a lot about the stupidity of the modern game that a player in the third tier of football is swanning round in that. But the game and clubs lost the plot roughly 20 years ago and don't seem to in hurry to find it again. You see the hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of shiny metal in the car park and it seems to have a direct correlation to the lack of heart in our team.

Or the sign of a player who has enjoyed a successful career, made millions, been transferred for millions, Has a goal scoring record pretty much second to none outside the PL.

Jealousy is a cruel mistress :(

UTB

Be quiet!....

Just spotted Billy Sharp shopping in Sainsburys. Didn't ask anything as he was with the family. Not sure why I've posted this to be honest

Wilder not just sanctioned the Adams sale, he deliberately procured it. He was right. Yes, I know Adams scored in a 3-1 home defeat and that proves positive that we were wrong to sell...

Done has had one good season in his entire career. It's gone. He's a waste of a shirt.

Sharp is showing neither talent not effort. Anyone who suggests he's doing more than Clarke wants their Bladey bumps feeling. At least the latter is running around and winning a few headers from the aimless punts forward.

4 bad games, best sell him at the first opportunity then.

I repeat, no amount of dissatisfaction with manager, other players, or systems, begins to justify Sharp's negligible contribution to the team effort this season. One goal; well taken. One good cross. That's it. The armband is the only evidence he's captain. Whatever else happens, remove it now....

Agree with this totally it but the bloke has had a few poor games. Not on his own either. What I do think is making him captain was a mistake.

Nah complaining that a footballer drives a flash car is silly, like I said we all know footballers are over paid. Like someone has already mentioned he has had a good career commanded some good fees, earned a good living and spent a lot of his career in a higher league. He is bound to have a bit of cash laying about for a nice motor.

Would it make any difference if he kept the cash in the bank and drove around in a milk float?

One of my colleagues has a brand new Range Rover and the other has an Aston Martin, not much change out of £100k there either and I don't judge them when they come to work, it's their money to spend as they please. If they want to spend a large amount of their salary on an expensive car that's their choice it's their money.

Sharp's frustrations on the pitch clear for all to see.

Does this justify the perceived lack of leadership as captain ?

Probably not. But we all get pissed off in our day jobs and a natural human reaction to this is to become withdrawn.

We're all human after all !!

UTB

You sir, win the most ridiculous post of today.

Congratulations, your prize is a personalised number plate - BSII ARP

Just a note, but just putting aside all the money Sharp's earned over the years playing in the Premier League and getting all those mad wages and signing-on fees etc, let's just take one tiny element of that:

We sold him to Scunny for two-bob, a pickled egg, a Crackerjack pencil and a Bazooka Joe but then we bought him back for £2m. Because he didn't ask for a move he was entitled, at the time, to 15% of the £2m fee, so £300k (OK some of the add-ons didn't pan out so it wasn't the full £2m but you get the point).

Even after sorting his agent out he had more from that one single transaction to buy a Panamera for cash, with 3 years servicing, fuel, insurance, furry dice, congestion charge season ticket and a feckin Magic Tree!

Why must any multi-millionaire drive a Fiat 500 just to avoid upsetting football fans?

I take it you mean Shearer now not Shearer 15 years ago otherwise I have to question your judgement.

Sharps Goal to game ratio is 0.41 Clarkes is 0.31. No idea on assists.

Ok, so you can use Sharps stats from years ago to make a point but I can't use sherears? Good way of making your point I suppose

Back
Top Bottom