Match Thread Grimsby Town v. Sheffield United - Pre-season Friendly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

View attachment 18653 On a different note I was tempted by the above cafe on Grimsby Road but plumped for fish and chips as I just wasn't in the mood for an arguement

;)
Failing that, you can always come to Fleetwood and have a quick game...

I am in the stages of improving the outdoor aesthetics, still a work in progress.

index.php

Failing that, you can always come to Fleetwood and have a quick game...

I am in the stages of improving the outdoor aesthetics, still a work in progress.

index.php
A property magnet that thinks he knows about football........ Where have I heard that before??!!

Some thoughts on the game.

Probably what Wilder envisions as our strongest 11 started.

I don’t think we played as well as some people have stated but all the same it was a very easy win. It didn’t have the pressing and tempo I was expecting but we seemed to play a higher line which for me is a positive. We scored at the right time and it seemed to settle things. Bear in mind they went close-ish from a corner at 2-1.

DCL and Sharp up front wasn’t the worst partnership in the world. DCL has pace, tenacity, wins headers, wins fouls, has good control too. Scored one and made another as we’ve all seen. His link up play is good. He’s also our quickest player. First time I’ve had a really good look at him and on that basis I’d say he has good potential and could play a significant part this season and develop well. Certainly wouldn’t sell him. It’s almost as if we have a young premiership loanee this season, except he’s ours. Took a knock after a half hour and subbed at half time.

We played Done and Duffy on the wings and they swapped over a couple of times. Most penetration and crosses seemed to come from marauding full-backs rather than with these two though. I think we still need a left winger. Duffy doesn’t look out of sorts on the left but for me looks better on the right. He’s neat and tidy. Good balance and control but doesn’t get past people often. Quite busy. Reminded me of Stephen Quinn a little bit.

O’Connell looked class. Strong, fast, good positionally. Good signing. Wilson looked ok. There is not much of an understanding between them yet. That can develop of course, but we are by no means set with this pairing in my opinion. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was more to come.

Fleck played well. He is quite squat and not amazingly mobile but is always demanding the ball and his vision and distribution is excellent. Doesn’t look as good as Kevin MacDonald on today’s outing but for me certainly the closest we’ve come to that style of player for a while. Recycles possession well, hard to knock off the ball, lots of forward passing. Will burst past the odd player but perhaps not one for the mazy run.

Hats off to Sharp. Excellent today. Let by example. Everywhere up front. Lick of paint off a hat-trick. Love him.

Saw some of this much-vaunted left-footery from Hussey. Every other corner looked reasonably dangerous. Tried to curl a number of crosses in from open play. At times in the first half they seemed to have a fair amount of space on the right (our left) but we always got back to cover/block the final ball in. He’s comfortably better than McEvely.

Don’t know what to say about Long. He had very little to do. I like him but that was a weird goal to concede.

McNulty came on at half time and did pretty well. Put himself about and appeared to pick the ball up as a sort of ‘in the hole’ number 10 position and take it forwards/distribute it a few times. Seemed frustrated when Sharp didn’t slide him through but I wouldn’t read too much into it. Put one well over at the end because he was trying too hard with it. Would be an asset this season based on today.

Brooks had an interesting few minutes. Saw loads of the ball. He’s composed, keeps possession, well-balanced, can drift past people. Very encouraging indeed. A bit lightweight but I assume he is about 5 years old or something.

Coutts came on and showed good control, was very neat but only passed it left and right, not forwards. Scougall came on and looked really eager. Got involved quite a lot. The usual mix of being brushed off/manhandled aside and then having the odd good contribution. Adams looked ok but didn’t see a lot of the ball.

My one big reservation is the Basham/Fleck pairing. I don’t want to denigrate Basham, he is a great trier, he does get his foot in, and he is physical, but he is slow both in thought and deed and it holds us back. I don’t think he’s conducive to the kind of pressing game Wilder wants. Everything seems quite laboured. If I were Wilder I’d try to get another central midfielder in to complement Fleck.

Their best player was Ben Davies, though he is now as wide as he is high.

I saw the young fair-haired Grimsby hooligan with the clown-style jacket in Cleethorpes about six o’clock abusing passing motorists. He had invented a Brexit-themed chant at that point.

Cracking report! Top class.

On Basham, I share your reservations.

In saying that, he was good yesterday I thought. Crunching tackles by him and by Brayford early on showed we meant business - can see him being the "attack dog" alongside Fleck's much more measured approach. But I still worry about his quality on the ball (& him tending not to want the ball) & about his lack of goals.

Why do you feel the need to interfere and put your spin on what someone else has said? They can speak for themselves and don't need you to misrepresent them any more than you say I am.
I'm not talking to or about you.
Just to clear up a few things relating to my posts on this thread.
Never would I condone involving innocents or fighting amongst fellow Blades.
In the 70s/80s very rarely I would see women and children anywhere near the trouble the kids used to stand behind the goal on the Shoreham or the east side John St women in those days were few in numbers.
I go to matches for a day out with the lads we certainly don't go looking for trouble but when mixing with opposing fans the inevitable occasionally happens.
Typically last season in that Beggers boozer on London Bridge (Millwall game)
mixing with the Leicester fans everything was sound then somebody said something out of turn the balloon went up big time.
I wouldn't want any female members of my family anywhere near anything like that.

I didn't go to a single away game last season but my Brother in law still goes to loads and he has been saying for the last two seasons that there has developed a hardcore of about 50-100 absolutely twats who attend every away game with the sole intention of creating agro.
willing to bet that the same group that your brother in law talks about are the ones that caused that trouble at rochdale earlier in the year

I go to matches for a day out with the lads we certainly don't go looking for trouble but when mixing with opposing fans the inevitable occasionally happens.
Typically last season in that Beggers boozer on London Bridge (Millwall game)
mixing with the Leicester fans everything was sound then somebody said something out of turn the balloon went up big time.
I wouldn't want any female members of my family anywhere near anything like that.

In less than a months time, Linz'll be accompanying me to Millwall for probably the 3rd or fourth time (a number of times outside of that visiting with just lads), it's perfectly possible to to attend the match with female members of your family and avoid trouble from "opposition" if you know how to... The problem a number appear to be alluding to is the erosion of the unwritten rule of looking after your own. Something I've sadly witnessed first hand a number of times more recently and that in the past would have been stamped out before it really began. I'd like to think that previously the lad zablade describes would have been rebuked by his peers whoever the recipient of his abuse, never mind one of his own, it's embarrassing.

I'll not lie and say I don't take it into consideration and it's not on my mind on such trips... But all it should do is heighten your senses to avoiding potential danger, rather than a self imposed ban on female Blades attending. I've been put off more by our own in recent times than any opposition.

Thankfully yesterday, we avoided anything untoward by drinking further afield (some very decent ale 10 mins walk from the flash points) and only really saw anything when wandering through the areas it all kicked off with our fish and chips. We simply adjusted our walk to wander around such issues.

Everything was going fine. Blades boozing generally having a good time with the odd song belting out - then the Grimsby fans attacked the square - they drew first blood -

All well an good m8 sometimes you don't have a choice I'm fairly experienced in noticing when things might get a bit naughty but yesterday I had no choice and had to go right in the middle of it the Mrs was due in on a train while the match was still on unfortunately it was 45 mins late so I had to go in and get her out really shook her up I'm fairly used to it but it's not a nice atmosphere and there were plenty of people there nowt to do with footy caught up in it,it looks like it's goin back to the 70s when anyone was fair game,someone needs to have a word with em I don't mind em wanting to beat 7 bells out of each other just do it away from everyone else,people shouldn't have to worry about not bein in a certain place cos it's likely to kick off

That's in reply to foxy btw

All well an good m8 sometimes you don't have a choice I'm fairly experienced in noticing when things might get a bit naughty but yesterday I had no choice and had to go right in the middle of it the Mrs was due in on a train while the match was still on unfortunately it was 45 mins late so I had to go in and get her out really shook her up I'm fairly used to it but it's not a nice atmosphere and there were plenty of people there nowt to do with footy caught up in it,it looks like it's goin back to the 70s when anyone was fair game,someone needs to have a word with em I don't mind em wanting to beat 7 bells out of each other just do it away from everyone else,people shouldn't have to worry about not bein in a certain place cos it's likely to kick off

That's in reply to foxy btw

Indeed, and sounds rather unfortunate timing. I'm not saying it's easy and always possible to avoid it and you shouldn't have to... Someone does indeed need to have a word as we can't get to the stage when female Blades and those not wishing to get involved have to avoid matches all together.

Glad you got through it unscathed and hope the Mrs isn't too put off.

Isn't put off goin to matches lol I did that she won't go anywhere near one likes the odd weekend away tho and after a tricky start we had a good night and a lovely day today an bonus the 90 mins don't spoil it for a change

Things might be looking up :)

So are those misbehaving the latest generation of BBC or just anti social little arseholes?

Is there a practical difference?
Dunno really. I suppose so. I wouldn't think anyone wanting to attach themselves to the Beeb would want to be known for "results" against air conditioning units and family groups of their own fans.

It's a bit shit when you worry more about your own fans on away trips than you do the locals, at least in the 70's and 80's you knew who the enemy was. Last time I went anywhere was the semi final at Wembley and even away from where the trouble kicked off there was a worry that it could have kicked of near you at any time, constant arguements about sit down stand up or you are a pig etc, knobheads in the bogs doing what they complain about Jose Baxter doing and the stink of Skunk everywhere. I as much as anyone like a drink or three but fucking hell somewhere along the line we have actracted the dregs of society, In the 70's I knocked around with some of the most notorious hooligans at the lane, they got pissed, they had a laugh, got into a few scraps but Jesus they would never start on their own. Maybe I'm just getting old but I can't be doing with this bollocks as described on this thread.

Listen mate when the the lads who I go to the matches with asked me if I was going I said no way pre season friendly no way rather play golf.
I would rather have walked to Grimsby , had my head kicked in then carried on to Cleethorpes and been kicked in again then walked home again ,than play golf.

I went to the game with 2 blokes who are long suffering Town fans and we sat in the main Findus stand (to the left of the Blades) and I'm sure that you all saw the group of Town dickheads (there was a fairly attractive blond female joining in too!!!) constantly giving it to the Blades in the bottom left corner of the stand. The stewards were trying to get them to sit back down and my mate said that they wouldn't normally accept the behavior and would have been kicked out. Mind you he also said they normally only get around 30 away fans who usually get clapped by the home fans for making the effort!
Anyway after the game I saw some of these Town dickheads who were 'on the look out' for trouble so expectedit to kick off somewhere!
Apparently the last time they had so much trouble was the visit of Lincoln City!

I remember the last time we went to Lincoln that was a pre season game too,they shouldn't arrange football matches in the school holidays it would cut it all out if they had to be in bed I think the Lincoln mob were even younger than grimsbys

I would rather have walked to Grimsby , had my head kicked in then carried on to Cleethorpes and been kicked in again then walked home again ,than play golf.
After my performance Saturday it felt like I'd had my head kicked in and left for dead.

I remember the last time we went to Lincoln that was a pre season game too,they shouldn't arrange football matches in the school holidays it would cut it all out if they had to be in bed I think the Lincoln mob were even younger than grimsbys
The Town dickheads I saw were 40 odd year old blokes, not kids! :(

Back
Top Bottom