Will Board Hold Their Nerve With Prem Clubs Circling

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bucksblade

Reaction score
Apart from a handful of current first team squad players being retained, i have every hope the new manager and board
will not succumb to the current sharks in media naming the better under 23 players who they want to steal before
they get a chance in Blades first team.

Its open season on projecting which of the several talented youngsters will be sold to the clubs who have a vision
they actually may be good enough to step up. For me i would play the under 23s now or the majority of them as the first team squad.
and see what Heckingbottom can do with his own group he has nurtured. I would take the U23s forward line and midfield and play
them for remainder of games. Maybe with Mcoldrick and Ramsdale.
If RND can come back - play him in defence and do not sell any of the future talent until the new manager
has had opportunity to judge and mould or not into next seasons squad.

Wishful thinking i know with our board. You can bet any money they will sell the gems and retain the non performing muppets. Meanwhile
squander the parachute £90m funds which should give us the dosh to add some other talent.
Blades will have £50m more than majority of championship clubs for next two seasons but should we win back to back re promotion,
i dont want to see the average age being 34 or Enda Stevens or Baldock still trying to recreate their heyday of 3 - 4 years ago.

Time for bold moves to win with a young squad ie the U 23s with added quality.

There endeth my sermon.

Wishful thinking i know with our board. You can bet any money they will sell the gems and retain the non performing muppets. Meanwhile
squander the parachute £90m funds which should give us the dosh to add some other talent.
Blades will have £50m more than majority of championship clubs for next two seasons but should we win back to back re promotion,

What has led you to this conclusion ?
This board has no previous for selling any of our better players. Hasnt anyone told McCabe is no longer involved
This board for the most part backed Wilder. There will be the inevitable sale of some players big bids and palyers wanting to leave which is to be expected with being a relegated club

The U23s might be a decent bunch but you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think they could hold their own in a Premier league game. The gulf is massive. The way forward IMO is to gently break in individual players within the team, something that should have already been happening once it became apparent this season was a write off.

This board has no previous for selling any of our better players. Hasnt anyone told McCabe is no longer involved
This board for the most part backed Wilder. There will be the inevitable sale of some players big bids and palyers wanting to leave which is to be expected with being a relegated club

Only major outgoing we've had since the Prince was Brooks, and that was good money for a very young player.

U23s play flowing one touch stuff watching them where possible this season. I would take the whole tactical units of midfield
at least and then add individuals. But then i would add the forwards who have telepathic connections to midfield mates. then you have changed half the team.
Anything has got to be better than watching current mob passing back from attacking positions, trying to find a million reasons not to cross from wings having beaten through a rare movement but never enough so lets go back and try to beat the man a second or third time and lose the ball or allow a counter to punish.
Playing out from back against Arsenal was a joke and the stuff of heart attacks. Basham is a huge loss at moment. JOC also but the much of the old guard are now too slow.

One or two individual changes wont cut it just look at Brewsters situation. He never gets the ball where he can do damage as the players behind are averse
to forward passes through middle third. Much better to play 6 inches from touchline to box yourselves in albeit against experienced premiership players.
It is so predictable, when substitutions are about to be made you can guarantee we concede a goal just before, just to make the game even harder.
For all the good Egan does he usually counters with a stupid loss of ball, same for Norwoood, same for Fleck. I cant even name Lundstrum as i wanted him gone after a couple of games in first premier season.

I could see no passion or interest after Arsenals first goal. Played off the park by an average team with a couple of very talented players.
Several weeks ago i wanted Wilder to stay, pick up with a couple of additions and do a Norwich. Now i am sick of watching the same old crap,
no press, frustrating one pass forward 5 passes back and sideways and dross from so called £20k a week professionals.

Watching blades for 45 years has led me to my conclusions. Prince could not or did not back Wilder in January. Not able to compete
for named targets who are stars at Villa now. I am not blaming Prince but he needs a couple of wealthy mates from Saudi to chip in and be like 90% of other teams who can compete. Now i hope they retain the youth as frankly have never had such a good combined group as the U 23s and U 18s coming through. Maybe one or two names in past but now we have the backbone of a new larger group playing well and for each other.

I have no feeling about what will happen next season when I usually do.

I can equally envisage a promotion push or a catastrophic campaign with most of our better players leaving.

The only thing I hold out for is that surely the Prince will be desperate to get back to the PL.

Kyron Gordon has a year left..if he don't sign a new contract he goes..the prince wants us to be self sufficient..ie keeping and developing the likes of Gordon..I won't hold mi breath.

The U23s might be a decent bunch but you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think they could hold their own in a Premier league game. The gulf is massive. The way forward IMO is to gently break in individual players within the team, something that should have already been happening once it became apparent this season was a write off.
Exactly this.

Most of our U23's are well under 23.

If you look at our team that reached the youth cup final in 2011 there's only Maguire now playing above league 1 level.

To think that our U23's could compete with anyone in the Premier League is to be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Apart from a handful of current first team squad players being retained, i have every hope the new manager and board
will not succumb to the current sharks in media naming the better under 23 players who they want to steal before
they get a chance in Blades first team.

Its open season on projecting which of the several talented youngsters will be sold to the clubs who have a vision
they actually may be good enough to step up. For me i would play the under 23s now or the majority of them as the first team squad.
and see what Heckingbottom can do with his own group he has nurtured. I would take the U23s forward line and midfield and play
them for remainder of games. Maybe with Mcoldrick and Ramsdale.
If RND can come back - play him in defence and do not sell any of the future talent until the new manager
has had opportunity to judge and mould or not into next seasons squad.

i dont want to see the average age being 34 or Enda Stevens or Baldock still trying to recreate their heyday of 3 - 4 years ago.

Time for bold moves to win with a young squad ie the U 23s with added quality.

There endeth my sermon.
Don't suppose they're circling round Lundstrum are they?

A bridge too far, there is a big gulf between U23 talent and the Championship.
With an even bigger gulf between the Championship and the Premier League.

Heckinbottom knows these players better than anyone and he's choosing players above them who blatantly aren't giving 100%. I think that tells you that they're likely to be nowhere near ready.

I'd love to see a few thrown in just for something different but the vast majority, maybe even all of them, won't make it above League One level.

A bridge too far, there is a big gulf between U23 talent and the Championship.
With an even bigger gulf between the Championship and the Premier League.
True, but playing one or two of them in each match until the end of the season might help their progression.

there isn’t anyone I’m terrified of selling as long as we get the right price. But it should be £30m for Berge, which would take the pressure off. Add in either Egan or JOC and with two players sold, it’s £40m in minimum.

Don’t panic.

The bigger thing is getting the apathy out of the players play with freedom give it a go if you lose then so be it I turned it off yesterday utterly pathetic

Any group of people who become a board with the two words Sheffield United in front of the word board will automatically revert to type and sell,sell,sell, it’s custom.

Given we have no manager and no clear sense of direction any players thinking about next season would be forgiven for thinking the grass might be greener elsewhere.

Not knocking our U23s but they are playing against football league clubs U23s opposition and not their Premier League club counterparts.
So you can't really expect them to perform well in the first team this season.
One benefit of relegation is more of them can be eased into the first team next season.

Watching blades for 45 years has led me to my conclusions. Prince could not or did not back Wilder in January. Not able to compete
for named targets who are stars at Villa now. I am not blaming Prince but he needs a couple of wealthy mates from Saudi to chip in and be like 90% of other teams who can compete. Now i hope they retain the youth as frankly have never had such a good combined group as the U 23s and U 18s coming through. Maybe one or two names in past but now we have the backbone of a new larger group playing well and for each other.
Ive seen us sell Mick Jones and Alan Birchenall we have always been a selling club. Most clubs are
There are reasons the board did not back Wilder in January
We probably cant compete with Villa at al. The PL has changed in recent years you no longer have to be a millionaire anymore youve got to have billions.
Im not going to start critiscising the Prince for selling players as hes yet to do it. He may well do but until he does Im going to give him the benefit. He obviously could do with help from other investors that may happen

With regard to the young players it remains to be seen if any of them are going to be good enough. The club may well try and hang on to them but if players let their contracts run down and refuse an extended contract there is not a lot the club can do about that if PL clubs come sniffing apart from offer them stupid wages which at the end of the day is not doing the financial well being of the club any good at all especially as none of them have played in the first team never mind made an impact

The other thing you have to remember is that we don't have a CAT 1 acadamy status. So realistically if a team with a CAT 1 academy status comes calling, which is all of the Premier League teams (except us), some Championship ones, and even Sunderland in League One, it's going to be difficult for us to compete. Hence why one of our first objectives from sustaining a position in the Premier League should be to spend the money improving facilities, etc. to get that status. Now we've been relegated and lost revenue who knows when that will happen.

If Gordon won't sign a contract, we have to sell. He only has a year left. What would be the point in keeping him?

I'm also unsure where this handful of first team squad players being retained comes from. It's like 17.

Yep, cloud cuckoo land. I stopped reading the OP at "if we can bring RND back" smh.

Kyron Gordon has a year left..if he don't sign a new contract he goes..the prince wants us to be self sufficient..ie keeping and developing the likes of Gordon..I won't hold mi breath.
So did McCabe. Been waiting for us to be self sufficient years

Back
Top Bottom