Whinge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Given the signs this season, the Championship is no longer a division where you can expect/rely on moderate sums being spent. Fulham spent £11mil on Ross McCormack, which, although not typical of the usual Championship transfer fee, shows what a club with parachute payments can do.

First, let's get in the Championship and consolidate our position there, then we can look forward to moving forward. UTB

And yet despite the money been thrown around, the teams with money don't always go up

Do you think this is a reason not to invest?
No of course not. But throwing money and hoping those players get you up is also foolish.

I think as a club were exceptionally well run now. Once were in the championship I fully expect mr Clough to loosen the purse strings somewhat, but not too much as I think we'll have a solid side then. With a few additions we'll be capable of holding our own in the championship

I'm still not that overly impressed with the side that Clough has put together for this seasons promotion campaign. With the exceptions of McGahey and JCR i don't really think the squad has improved much from last season. So far i think Basham is a shocking footballer and Higdon has been a huge disappointment.

I don't think that Clough knows his strongest side himself, and it is another worrying sign that we are already playing negative football this early on in the season, especially as if we are looking at pushing for promotion we should be stamping our authority on games and putting a marker down as a statement of intent for the rest of the season.

With the Crawley, Rochdale and Colchester games we have been lucky to walk away with a full complement of 9 points. I think on current performances we have done well to get to 6th in the table.

Im not having a moan for the sake of having a moan, but i think that we shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves yet.

And yet despite the money been thrown around, the teams with money don't always go up

Correct Swiss. Of course, all clubs who spend big hope for a winner, but it just doesn't work that way. Andy Carroll is one who comes to mind. Square pegs in round holes, or something to that effect. That's not an argument against spending relatively large sums, but in the middle of this rise in expectations what happens, understandably, is the belief that the club has bought well, I mean, having spent that much money, how could the club get it so spectacularly wrong?

Expectations are high at United, and so they should be, but expectations are relative, and for this club promotion should be this season's pinnacle of success. Personally, I don't care if we win the league, just as long as we're promoted. No one remembers Div1 champions, or cares for that matter, but the division we're in next season is what counts. On the point of McCormack, £11mil seems an incredible amount to pay. A decent player no doubt, but £11mil's worth?

No of course not. But throwing money and hoping those players get you up is also foolish.

I think as a club were exceptionally well run now. Once were in the championship I fully expect mr Clough to loosen the purse strings somewhat, but not too much as I think we'll have a solid side then. With a few additions we'll be capable of holding our own in the championship
Hey up SwissBlade ,do you think that this squad with only a few additions is good enough to hold it's own at Championship level,when we're struggling to beat teams in this league,and have been very fortunate on more than one occasion to do so?

Hey up SwissBlade ,do you think that this squad with only a few additions is good enough to hold it's own at Championship level,when we're struggling to beat teams in this league,and have been very fortunate on more than one occasion to do so?

I seem to say it every season, but it's still very early to write players off whilst we're still in September. But yes, with a few additions we should hold our own. Looking at the side and style of play I think it's better suited to championship football as teams will be more open against us. In theory of course

Perfect example of this is that on Saturday we created more chances after we went ahead purely because Rochdale changed their very well organised, defensive minded side to a side chasing and having to attack more freely.

With the pacey/ tricky players in the side or those that replace them, then they can exploit the defences

I seem to say it every season, but it's still very early to write players off whilst we're still in September. But yes, with a few additions we should hold our own. Looking at the side and style of play I think it's better suited to championship football as teams will be more open against us. In theory of course

Perfect example of this is that on Saturday we created more chances after we went ahead purely because Rochdale changed their very well organised, defensive minded side to a side chasing and having to attack more freely.

With the pacey/ tricky players in the side or those that replace them, then they can exploit the defences
I'm not writing any players off swiss,i was simply stating what iv'e seen so far,which is a struggle,but also us getting some sort of momentum going at the same time,if thats even achievable.

I'm not saying you're wrong,i was just interested in your views of where our squad is at atm.

its really about collecting points
goals are the icing on the cake
so long as we get 94 points Id put up with scoring 49 goals

so long as we score 1 more than them in any game , , its a simple game

I'm not writing any players off swiss,i was simply stating what iv'e seen so far,which is a struggle,but also us getting some sort of momentum going at the same time,if thats even achievable.

I'm not saying you're wrong,i was just interested in your views of where our squad is at atm.
Sorry Wiz! I didnt mean to suggest that you're writing players off, I meant generally based on the opinions of people here. I find your views quite balanced :)

The start of the season after Bristol highlighted that the side wasn't ready to storm the league, but I think far from being a poor side, were more of a work in progress. I think the end result will be the same. Promotion.

I saw a similarity this year with last. Bringing in many new players and not having chance to experiment too much in preseason, we experimented in August a little. Now I think were starting to see more of a settled formation, style and side, even if it's not the best side we have. Were more solid.

When Clough came in he addressed Weir's issues by making us an organised and disciplined side before breaking the shackles in January. This year he's gone through this pattern again, but earlier and with better players through the squad, not just the strong first 11.

Let's see how it goes but I think we've got the makings of a very solid side

It helps, though. Leicester have invested £140m to get to the 'promised land'. And God knows how much QPR have spent.

Its really about collecting points
goals are the icing on the cake
so long as we get 94 points Id put up with scoring 49 goals

so long as we score 1 more than them in any game ,its a simple game

Win tomorrow, and we're on a 'projection' for 92 points. :)

Back
Top Bottom